Print Thread
Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic #5319999 09/22/14 03:35 PM
M
My best friend has a tail Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
Is this a good NV scope for @ $415? Do you have other recommendation for the same price? I plan to do some hog and coyote shooting on a .223.

Re: Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic [Re: My best friend has a tail] #5320094 09/22/14 04:20 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
The Aimpoint PRO is a red dot optic, no magnification and is designed for quick target acquisition in the daytime.

It does have an NV (Night vision) compatible setting for use in front of a PVS-14 (helmet mounted or rail mounted) but that isn't the primary purpose of the Aimpoint PRO.

This will give you an idea of using the PRO with a PVS14

The video demonstrates that using the PRO's NV setting there is no bloom of the red dot, meaning it is calbrated correctly to be used with a night vision device.

There are alot of options out there for day/night use scopes for yote and hog hunting, do a seach on Digital night vision.

Re: Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic [Re: My best friend has a tail] #5320253 09/22/14 05:44 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I am not sure whether or not it matters if NV is the primary purpose of the PRO, but it is designed to be both day AND night (with NV gear) compatible and it functions very well either way. It has 6 daylight and 4 night settings and a 2 moa dot. That will be more than adequate for hog or coyote for accuracy and ease of sight. Aimpoint makes a solid product. I like the Micros myself as they are smaller, but they also cost more. The Pro is a good product.

If you could afford another $115, the Eotech 552 would be a very good alternative as well.

The shortcoming of red dots over Eotech's holographic sight is that red dots like the Aimpoint Pro rely on reflected light inside the lens, basically a mirror coating like mirrored sunglasses. The result is that the sight will appear slightly dark (like sunglasses). In daytime use, this won't matter. As it gets to be twilight, the sight will go very dark much sooner than things will get dark for your eyes, but with a holographic sight like the Eotech, whatever you see with your naked eye is pretty much what you see through the screen. In short, without NV gear, the Eotech is a better low light optic.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic [Re: My best friend has a tail] #5320728 09/22/14 10:57 PM
H
Harley7892 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Have you look at "Optics Planet" or Sportsman Guide? SG has a ATN NV for $360.

Re: Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5322592 09/23/14 09:35 PM
T
TNVC-Victor Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
<SNIP>

The shortcoming of red dots over Eotech's holographic sight is that red dots like the Aimpoint Pro rely on reflected light inside the lens, basically a mirror coating like mirrored sunglasses. The result is that the sight will appear slightly dark (like sunglasses). In daytime use, this won't matter. As it gets to be twilight, the sight will go very dark much sooner than things will get dark for your eyes, but with a holographic sight like the Eotech, whatever you see with your naked eye is pretty much what you see through the screen. In short, without NV gear, the Eotech is a better low light optic.

You're incorrect on several fronts especially on the low light aspects. I've been involved with AP's sights for a number of years.

Aimpoint Advance Circuitry Electronic Technology Light Emitting Diodes projects a red light on to the front lens. The front lens has 50+ layers of lens coatings that allow all other spectrums of light to pass through except red (and IR for the CompM2/M3/M4/M4S/PRO/T-1). Because Red is the 620-750 nm wavelength or upper level of the wavelength spectrum, with Infrared being from 700nm to 1000nm, there is minimal to no loss of light transference in low light or at night with the lenses on Aimpoint sights. They in fact work as well, if not better than the lenses on an EOTech with Night Vision, but the EO's have less shadowing effect becuase the NOD IS peering into the sight itself, unlike our eyes as I described below. Now if Aimpoint were to make a sight using a Green Dot, (foolish) then you would see a difference, as wavelength for Green is in the middle of the color spectrum, 495nm-570nm.

Also, keep in mind these AP sites are not used as you would use a day optic. You do NOT look through an Aimpoint, you keep both eyes open looking at your TARGET and place the dot over it. What you described above with light loss this or that can also be attributed with folks closing one eye and looking into the tube of the AP for aiming, which they were never designed for.

To the OP, take a look at this link which explains AP's technology with some very good illustrations. http://www.aimpoint.com/us/about-aimpoint/technology/

Re: Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic [Re: My best friend has a tail] #5322688 09/23/14 10:32 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
No, I am not. You can most definitely see the coating that darkens the lens.
http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/all-products/product-singleview/product/PRO/

Quote:
there is minimal to no loss of light transference in low light or at night with the lenses on Aimpoint sights.

Well obviously, it is NOT "no loss" because as you note it blocks out all the red which is a component of light, LOL. So you are losing a big chunk of the visible spectrum.

Re: Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5322713 09/23/14 10:46 PM
T
TNVC-Victor Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
You really do not have a clue here about how these systems work.

Re: Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5334585 09/30/14 08:40 PM
F
fastforward Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
No, I am not. You can most definitely see the coating that darkens the lens.
http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/all-products/product-singleview/product/PRO/

Quote:
there is minimal to no loss of light transference in low light or at night with the lenses on Aimpoint sights.

Well obviously, it is NOT "no loss" because as you note it blocks out all the red which is a component of light, LOL. So you are losing a big chunk of the visible spectrum.

What??? I see you're spouting off like you have on many other posts giving the community bad information.

The visual coating of the optic has nothing to do with nor attributed to any "darkening" of the image, did you not read what he said? I own several of the Pro models and none of them have a darker image view as you describe. My guess you use this optic like you shouldn't with one eye open as you would with a dedicated magnified optic. Newbies do this all the time and report this nonsense like you're reporting. Get both eyes open on target and a whole new world may appear.

Re: Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic [Re: My best friend has a tail] #5334618 09/30/14 08:54 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
LOL, still trying to figure out how to get both eyes on target using NV with mine.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide