Print Thread
Question on putting trap near feeder #5311096 09/17/14 01:21 PM
S
SCson Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
I have a lot of hogs hanging around my feeder - pics show them laying around, pissing & even MAKING BACON under feeder waiting on it to go off. I'm concerned of them running the deer off and considering placing trap near my feeder for a oouple of weeks, would this help or push the deer I do have coming in off?

Re: Question on putting trap near feeder [Re: SCson] #5311250 09/17/14 02:56 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I had the same problem a couple of years back. So many pigs that no deer would come to the feeder. Game cam pics were nothing but pigs. I set one of my portable pig traps about 20 yds from the feeder. Opening morning of deer season, this is what I had.

8 point buck. I sent the pic to my the local GW and set about releasing him from the trap. It wasn't easy but when I got him out he took off, a little scraped up but generally unharmed.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Question on putting trap near feeder [Re: SCson] #5311303 09/17/14 03:30 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: SCson
I have a lot of hogs hanging around my feeder - pics show them laying around, pissing & even MAKING BACON under feeder waiting on it to go off. I'm concerned of them running the deer off and considering placing trap near my feeder for a oouple of weeks, would this help or push the deer I do have coming in off?

You don't need a little trap. You need to make an entire pen around the feeder, one deer can jump out of, but not hogs. It needs to be large to hold all of the hogs that are milling around your feeder. You want to catch a bunch at once, not one at a time. As bar-d has shown, a small trap isn't going to catch much and it can trap deer that you DON'T want to trap.

The problem is, deer and hogs don't discriminate. You can't set up a feeder for deer and a trap for hogs and not expect the deer to go into the trap or hogs not to go to the feeder. You can make a trap that deer can get out of, however.

Besides, if you go with a small trap and trap a hog or two in front of all the others, you have educated them and they won't go in the trap. They will eat at your feeder and avoid the trap after seeing their buddies get trapped.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Question on putting trap near feeder [Re: SCson] #5311379 09/17/14 04:02 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Agree with DNS. I had not seen any pics of deer on the game camera at all. You can see where the pigs had been rooting around close to where the trap is. I set the trap to catch pigs not expecting any deer to be in the vicinty as I had seen none in the pics. After catching this buck, I removed the trap and haven't tried it again. I built a big stationary trap close to the pasture where the hogs usually came from. I have caught a lot of hogs in it in the last few years but also fed a lot of deer. Like DNS said, deer and hogs don't discriminate. The deer go in the trap and scarf up my corn and when they are done simply jump over the side of the pen and go about their business.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Question on putting trap near feeder [Re: SCson] #5311384 09/17/14 04:05 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
That hog trap is way to tall... if it was laid on its side then it would be a hog trap size instead of a deer trap

Re: Question on putting trap near feeder [Re: Navasot] #5311401 09/17/14 04:11 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Navasot
That hog trap is way to tall... if it was laid on its side then it would be a hog trap size instead of a deer trap

If it were on it's side the door opening would be taller than it is like it sits.

Re: Question on putting trap near feeder [Re: SCson] #5311515 09/17/14 05:18 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I agree that a pen around the feeder is the best solution. Putting a trap out won't deter the hogs. Most of them probably won't go in it, and if a few do, the rest will learn to avoid it. But, they'll still raid the feeder without compunction. A low fence about 30" — 34" high would do the trick. The deer will simply jump in and out but the hogs won't be able to get in.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Question on putting trap near feeder [Re: Bar-D] #5311806 09/17/14 07:47 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: bar-d
Originally Posted By: Navasot

If it were on it's side the door opening would be taller than it is like it sits.

right. Just flip it around

Re: Question on putting trap near feeder [Re: Bar-D] #5317396 09/20/14 08:58 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: bar-d
I had the same problem a couple of years back. So many pigs that no deer would come to the feeder. Game cam pics were nothing but pigs. I set one of my portable pig traps about 20 yds from the feeder. Opening morning of deer season, this is what I had.

8 point buck. I sent the pic to my the local GW and set about releasing him from the trap. It wasn't easy but when I got him out he took off, a little scraped up but generally unharmed.

I had the same problem with a trap. My solution was to string a piece of fence wire inside the trap about the same height as you have the door. I put it about two feet inside the trap. I also put a piece across the door opening maybe two inches below the top of the opening. The deer hit one or both of these wires and don't know what it is so they back out. Since I put those wires inside the trap I haven't caught any deer.

I have two unwritten rules:
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide