Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ibex question #5308679 09/16/14 01:57 AM
N
NewJeep Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Ok so looking at the other thread got me wondering.
Why are Ibex so pricey?

Does it take a long time to raise to maturity?
Fatality rate?
Easy to escape?
Difficult to find?

I think they are a neat animal and very majestic.

I am sure they are well worth the money but why so much money?

Not bashing just wondering.
Also post some pictures of those beautiful animals

Last edited by NewJeep; 09/16/14 12:34 PM.

Live to hunt, forced to work!
Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5308820 09/16/14 02:38 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Pricy?
the same reason Sable, Desert Big Horn, Markhor or any of the other game animals are expensive. Supply and demand.

Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5308824 09/16/14 02:39 AM
F
Folsetth Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
How long does it take to get one to that size? Of course I know genetics and feed play a role, so generally speaking, considering good genetics and feed!

Last edited by Folsetth; 09/16/14 02:41 AM.
Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5308886 09/16/14 03:00 AM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Persian ibex are only $112 to shoot them here in New Mexico. Trouble is you have to draw out, but they are truly pure bred and giant. I am going with a buddy in 2 months, should be fun to see them in the terrain they are in. I'll take pics

Last edited by Texas Tatonkas; 09/16/14 03:03 AM.

Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5308909 09/16/14 03:07 AM
N
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Thank you Don. That's is what I was thinking. I didn't know if there was a different reason or not.

Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #5308974 09/16/14 03:48 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Tatonkas
Persian ibex are only $112 to shoot them here in New Mexico. Trouble is you have to draw out, but they are truly pure bred and giant. I am going with a buddy in 2 months, should be fun to see them in the terrain they are in. I'll take pics

Yeah. But that would require actually having to go to New Mexico... oh man, would that suck or what??! Definitely worth hunting them here in Texas.

Last edited by therancher; 09/16/14 03:49 AM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5308992 09/16/14 04:01 AM
A
Aaron-Ibex Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I raise Nubian and Persian ibex. Ibex are underpriced in my view. good quality ibex are so hard to find. also, with all these other exotics there is no breeding to "other" types of animals. fallow, blackbuck and the like breed with their kind. a monster pure ibex will breed with virtually any goat. there's nothing wrong with that, but it makes it harder and harder to find good pure stuff that hadn't been bred to pygmys, milk goats or whatever.

here is my breeder Nubian billy

Last edited by Aaron-Ibex; 09/16/14 12:30 PM.

Aaron Gage
903-271-3875
www.texasibex.com
Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5309197 09/16/14 12:31 PM
N
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Awesome animals Aaron. Thanks for the info. Don I didn't mean to offend you by saying "pricey" what I meant to say was out of reach for your normal everyday working class guy like myself. Ok now I am just kidding I am below the average.

Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5309199 09/16/14 12:31 PM
N
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
What happened to your pics Aaron I liked them.

Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5309260 09/16/14 01:17 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: NewJeep
Awesome animals Aaron. Thanks for the info. Don I didn't mean to offend you by saying "pricey" what I meant to say was out of reach for your normal everyday working class guy like myself. Ok now I am just kidding I am below the average.
You didn't offend me. They are pricey. The more pricey they get the better I like it. I have spent a lot of money through out the years trying to better my herd. Getting quality animals doesn't happen over night. I have been trying to raise Ibex for close to 20 years now and I still have a little way to go. Both knowledge and quality wise. They are a very interesting animal. Very smart on figuring how to get out of an enclosure be that a pen or pasture. Right now is the start of the breeding season. The males that have been buddies since about April are now either fighting each other or trying to breed each other. The males that were too tame might now try to hit you. I don't know about others but I loose about 30% of my kids each year. Either premature, born dead, die within a few days or are killed by another female. From what I have seen is a good males horns will grow from 8 to 10 inches the first year. You can take off about an inch the next year and inch or two every year after that. So the 40 inch Ibex is probably at least 6 years old. During that 6 years a lot can happen to that Ibex from breaking as horn to dying from either natural or other causes. There is a reason they are expensive. If it was easy they would be like Corsican sheep and there would not be a market for them.

Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: don k] #5309315 09/16/14 01:52 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
OK Don, I have a question for you. In that crazy neighbor thread of yours you posted a pic of one of your fences. IIRC it was only about 6' high. Do you depend on that fence to hold ibex??

All I've ever seen for ibex is TALL fences most with a 2-3' curve inward on the top.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5309512 09/16/14 03:52 PM
N
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
That was what I was thinking Don. I know it cost money for land, feed, fences, animal loss, and other associated cost. I was try trying to figure out what made them so much different than say a Corsican, black Hawaiian, dall, or even the aoudad. In captive from what I have read you and Aaron have posted the kid survival rate isn't so great like the other "goat species".

Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: therancher] #5309595 09/16/14 04:38 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: therancher
OK Don, I have a question for you. In that crazy neighbor thread of yours you posted a pic of one of your fences. IIRC it was only about 6' high. Do you depend on that fence to hold ibex??

All I've ever seen for ibex is TALL fences most with a 2-3' curve inward on the top.
Rancher, it all depends on the goat. All my females have been raised by me and unless they are caught up in a pen they will not try to jump a fence. Even 5' cattle panels will keep them in. When they are penned it is a complete different story. My pens are 8' tall and enclosed with plywood. The other day I was catching a few of my male kids to separate them from the females. In the pen I have a small water trough half way in the pen and half out. The plywood is within a couple of inches of the top of the trough. I had one of the kids go under water and get out. That was a new one for me. Years ago I bought a few females at Raz. A few of those jumped the fence and I have never seen them again. Now I just buy Nubian Ibex males and not brought out of a large ranch. I have bought a couple from Caveman and have not had any trouble. Last year I bought a surplus Nubian Ibex male from Circle H. It was said to have been zoo stock. I put him in the pen with a tame goat. He bounced off the walls for 2 days and I had to let him out before he got hurt. As soon as I let him out he calmed down and has never caused any more problems. If you ever get any try to find out how wild they are. Might be the difference between them staying or you never seeing them again.

Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5309752 09/16/14 06:10 PM
A
Aaron-Ibex Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I deleted them bc you were asking about Nubians....but well, here they are again.

Aaron Gage
903-271-3875
www.texasibex.com
Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5309771 09/16/14 06:18 PM
A
Aaron-Ibex Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
as Don eluded to; unexpected things can certainly happen to these animals, Don sold me a Billy a few years ago that we were planning on growing out to 40" but he broke his horn last month and we ended up having to sell him. by the way Don, we just spoke to the ranch where he was hunted and he measure 36"! he was our favorite billy, and it was an awful feeling finding him broken. it takes a lot of time, work, luck & top notch genes to get a goat to 40".

Aaron Gage
903-271-3875
www.texasibex.com
Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5309820 09/16/14 06:45 PM
C
Circle NA Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
The kids are so cute!! I love this species... I have learned so much from you guys.... Thanks for the threads! Have been to Don's and that was the best field trip ever. I cannot believe that you lose that many per year...30% is a lot! I'm sure you grieve each & every one of them! We all hate losing stock of any kind.... For any reason... But a swimmer don k!! That's a first!! Guess you have seen it all!
Diane

Diane Reiner Sodoro
281-723-9989
Operations Manager
Circle NA Ranch
www.circleNARanch.com
Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5309912 09/16/14 08:03 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Since theres a topic on it, I always have wondered this...since they can cross with all types of goats - how do you know what is really pure and what isn't? Are they registered and have lineage like the AKC for dogs - or do you just go by looks and the sellers word? To me, it would be crazy to pay 12k for something that could have been crossed - which is why I probably need educated. I see the ones we have here in New Mexico, they all look the same - but it blows my mind that somebody could let a bunch of goats loose over there and essentially screw up a 40+ year program of having really nice ibex.

Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #5310390 09/17/14 12:04 AM
R
Rickey Hunt Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Since theres a topic on it, I always have wondered this...since they can cross with all types of goats - how do you know what is really pure and what isn't? Are they registered and have lineage like the AKC for dogs - or do you just go by looks and the sellers word? To me, it would be crazy to pay 12k for something that could have been crossed - which is why I probably need educated. I see the ones we have here in New Mexico, they all look the same - but it blows my mind that somebody could let a bunch of goats loose over there and essentially screw up a 40+ year program of having really nice ibex.

How do you know if they are crossed up or not? Well, you don't unless you know where they came from. Because ibex are a high dollar animal, ibex are passed around and sold so much that most people have no idea what they are out of. This is the reason I buy from people like Don K. He is not an animal broker, he is a ibex breeder. There is no registry for ibex, but we keep up with ours and can give a detailed pedigree with them. I am not against crossing them, but we keep up with the percentages until we have bred them close to pure. Texas ranches use to have some of those same Persian Ibex that are in New Mexico. Not many left. The Persian Ibex were some of the first ibex imported in. But, when the Nubians came in, people liked the knots and they started breeding their Persian nannies to them. It wasn't long that the Persian Ibex was few and far between. Supply and demand was the demise of a species. This is where breeders have to come in and preserve the different kinds of ibex. We focus on breeding the Persian type ibex. We are constantly looking for some bonofide true Persian stock to bring in, but it is extremely hard to find those animals. But, we continue on to preserve what we have.

Rickey Hunt cell 903-748-1893
Ph.903-684-3234
www.huntsbowhunting.net
www.majesticmouflons.net
www.persianibex.com
Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: Rickey Hunt] #5310395 09/17/14 12:10 AM
A
Aaron-Ibex Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Rickey Hunt

How do you know if they are crossed up or not? Well, you don't unless you know where they came from. Because ibex are a high dollar animal, ibex are passed around and sold so much that most people have no idea what they are out of. This is the reason I buy from people like Don K. He is not an animal broker, he is a ibex breeder. There is no registry for ibex, but we keep up with ours and can give a detailed pedigree with them. I am not against crossing them, but we keep up with the percentages until we have bred them close to pure. Texas ranches use to have some of those same Persian Ibex that are in New Mexico. Not many left. The Persian Ibex were some of the first ibex imported in. But, when the Nubians came in, people liked the knots and they started breeding their Persian nannies to them. It wasn't long that the Persian Ibex was few and far between. Supply and demand was the demise of a species. This is where breeders have to come in and preserve the different kinds of ibex. We focus on breeding the Persian type ibex. We are constantly looking for some bonofide true Persian stock to bring in, but it is extremely hard to find those animals. But, we continue on to preserve what we have.

Like rickey...we also are breeding Persians to try and bring back the quality of this wonderful animal.
We also raise Nubians but are really partial to Persians. And as rickey also said, so many of these goats are passed around and as a result no one can give hardly any information on them. All but 1 of my Persian nannies came from Don
and I am so thankful for that.

Aaron Gage
903-271-3875
www.texasibex.com
Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5310401 09/17/14 12:12 AM
R
Rickey Hunt Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
This is one of our young billies we are using. His name is Legacy. At the time we have 4 herds of nannies.

Ph.903-684-3234
www.huntsbowhunting.net
www.majesticmouflons.net
www.persianibex.com
Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #5311085 09/17/14 01:17 PM
K
Kobus Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K

Don't give Thomson Temple any ideas!

@Rickey Hunt that is a very good looking billy! How do Persians do in comparison to Nubians?

Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5311106 09/17/14 01:29 PM
A
Aaron-Ibex Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Not answering for rickey but in my experience so far the main differences are Persians are a lot less wild...they have less issues kidding...those are the 2 main things I've noticed here.

Aaron Gage
903-271-3875
www.texasibex.com
Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5311128 09/17/14 01:41 PM
R
Rickey Hunt Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Persian are a little easier raising. Don't have as many health issues as the Nubians do.

Ph.903-684-3234
www.huntsbowhunting.net
www.majesticmouflons.net
www.persianibex.com
Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5311139 09/17/14 01:45 PM
K
Kobus Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Interesting...I know they are a lot more rare, but how do Alpine and Siberian Ibex do? Also I know it's not an ibex but a wild goat, markhor? Even if you you might not of raised them, from what you've heard or seen.

Re: Nubian Ibex question [Re: NewJeep] #5311219 09/17/14 02:38 PM
A
Aaron-Ibex Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I know guys who have raised alpines and siberians. basically what I've heard is they're not as hardy and have more health issues. Markhor do well from what I've heard but can jump an 8' fence.

Aaron Gage
903-271-3875
www.texasibex.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide