texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Crazy good, Rosales land management, GrendelHunter73, Ed Ipser, nmmuledeerhunter
71993 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,788
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 65,418
stxranchman 60,296
Gravytrain 46,950
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Stub 43,770
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,052
Posts9,719,879
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Update on Remedy #5307401 09/15/14 02:23 PM
U
USMCatfish Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
U
I used Remedy and Diesel a few weeks ago on a lot of mesquite that I cut down in making a shooting lane. Well, I went back out there Sunday to take a look and realized that Remedy is how we know God loves us...Or is it beer that we know God loves us either way that stuff is awesome. Can not believe how well it works. Thanks for the recommendation on using it guys.

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5307415 09/15/14 02:37 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
up

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5307507 09/15/14 03:30 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Is Remedy better than Tordon for prickly pear?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5307570 09/15/14 04:05 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: USMCatfish
I used Remedy and Diesel a few weeks ago on a lot of mesquite that I cut down in making a shooting lane. Well, I went back out there Sunday to take a look and realized that Remedy is how we know God loves us...Or is it beer that we know God loves us either way that stuff is awesome. Can not believe how well it works. Thanks for the recommendation on using it guys.

That will work if all you did was basal spray. If you coated the leaves with it, the plant will still die, but you will end up repeating the job next year. I just hate to do things more than once and I'm just saying that if you got most of the leaves coated then your are applying it as a topical and not a basal spray. The difference being...basal means on the bark and at the base of the plant and on the ground. Topical you can coat the entire thing. I promise you, you will get a better kill and better results from topical than basal.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5307584 09/15/14 04:11 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

No. Tordon is better for prickly pear.
In fact you can mix the two and use them both to treat a broader variety of plants. Remedy alone does not do near as well as Tordon will and you still need a surfactant such as sidekick or diesel if all you want to do is basal spray. On pear, apply it on the leaf(topical). On mesquite or huisache, apply it basal or topical depending on the surfactant used(diesel or Cidekick). You can even use dish soap like Ivory and that can work well enough as a surfactant.

Last edited by Curtis; 09/15/14 04:12 PM.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5307669 09/15/14 05:03 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Is Tordon a restricted product?

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5307683 09/15/14 05:15 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Yes it is. You have to have a license to get it. It's not hard to get, but there is more to it than just taking a test. You have to keep up with credits each year once you have it. Attend classes online mostly but still have to attend some actual classes now and then. I have it and its not a big deal. Check with your local ag extension office in your county.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5307912 09/15/14 07:25 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Ive had much better results knocking out prickly pear with Surmount & surfactant than Tordon.

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5307972 09/15/14 08:02 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Been spraying mesquite and pear here at the ranch a long time. Tried several different products in a couple of different ways. Next time you spray mesquite use remedy, reclaim and water with some dish soap. You'll get a little better kill and save a little money.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Update on Remedy [Re: Rustler] #5307982 09/15/14 08:06 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Rustler
Ive had much better results knocking out prickly pear with Surmount & surfactant than Tordon.

They both work well. Trick is you need a rain within 45 days of spraying for it to work. If you don't get the rain, neither work well. The poison has to be carried to the root system with a rain.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Re: Update on Remedy [Re: Stompy] #5308611 09/16/14 01:30 AM
U
USMCatfish Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
U
Originally Posted By: Stompy

Been spraying mesquite and pear here at the ranch a long time. Tried several different products in a couple of different ways. Next time you spray mesquite use remedy, reclaim and water with some dish soap. You'll get a little better kill and save a little money.

What is the ratio of the chemicals do you use?

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5308686 09/16/14 01:58 AM
A
Antler Addicts Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
For mesquite we use remedy, reclaim, surfactant and a blue dye. The surfactant is basically s soap. This is the proper way to poison mesquite and it works long term. We don't use diesel, but sure that wouldn't hurt it to add in to zap it. Tordon is for cactus and that process takes longer, but works as well.

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/teamantleraddicts
Facebook "Like" us! Enter in our GIVEAWAY'S
https://www.facebook.com/teamantleraddicts

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5308690 09/16/14 01:59 AM
A
Antler Addicts Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
for 15 gallons we use 10oz remedy, 10 oz reclaim and 5 oz of surfactant (soap) and we just squirt some dye in. The blue is the best!

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/teamantleraddicts
Facebook "Like" us! Enter in our GIVEAWAY'S
https://www.facebook.com/teamantleraddicts

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5308915 09/16/14 03:09 AM
S
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I have cedar regrowth from last year. Will Remedy kill those sprouts?

The only easy day was yesterday

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Re: Update on Remedy [Re: Antler Addicts] #5309264 09/16/14 01:23 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Antler Addicts
For mesquite we use remedy, reclaim, surfactant and a blue dye. The surfactant is basically s soap. This is the proper way to poison mesquite and it works long term. We don't use diesel, but sure that wouldn't hurt it to add in to zap it. Tordon is for cactus and that process takes longer, but works as well.

That's just it though. The "zap it" that you get by you seeing those brown leaves and its looks dead is all that is. The diesel just puts the plant into a hibernation if you get it on the leaves. If you have the diesel in it and you spray the leaves, you risk just wasting your money and have to spray again the next year. or the next year down the road. I get about a 98% kill doing it my way and have experience far less results when using diesel. The diesel works best if you use it as basal. But when your walking around spraying it easy to get into a habit of trying to spray that mesquite that on the other side of the prickly pear bush because your too tired and its hot and you want to get the job done and go home. More than likey you just waste that money right then doing so and will have to spray that plant again the next year or the following year and spend more money. One or two plants. The poison has to get down to the bulb of the root. It won't if you apply the diesel onto the leaves no matter if you spray the base of it as well or not.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5309272 09/16/14 01:33 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
http://texnat.tamu.edu/about/brush-busters/mesquite/stem-spray-method/

Just make sure you do it as the picture shows. Base only and not on the leaves. This is the formula I use but the problem is I like a formula that I can use on every mesquite that I find. And this will not work with diesel. It clearly states to use on mesquites with a trunk a certain size and larger. It's correct. But a lot of my mesquite is smaller than that and I want to kill it as well. If I take that same mixture and apply it to the leaves then I will have to spray it again and spend more money the next year for more spraying.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5309282 09/16/14 01:39 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
One of the reasons they show this method is because the way I recommend is essentially broadcast spraying. It leaves a chance for the chemical to float onto other plants if your not careful of wind and direction. Even then the stream of spray goes partially on the plant and parts will go past that onto other plants. Don't do that if you are near oak trees. If you have mesquite or pear under or near a oak tree or some other type that you don't want to kill, with either method, don't do it. This means if its under the canopy of the tree it will risk killing it. That is the dripline of the tree. All it takes is moisture falling off the tree leaves and onto the ground and take the chemical right into the tree and its dead. It will float and it will kill that oak tree. Your better off to get a tractor and physically remove the unwanted brush from under the tree.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: Antler Addicts] #5309464 09/16/14 03:24 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Antler Addicts
for 15 gallons we use 10oz remedy, 10 oz reclaim and 5 oz of surfactant (soap) and we just squirt some dye in. The blue is the best!

This is the correct mixture for Mesquite, mixed with water.

For Pear I use 20oz of Tordon 22 mixed with water and 5oz dish soap for 15 gallon tank.

Last edited by Stompy; 09/16/14 03:25 PM.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Re: Update on Remedy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5311415 09/17/14 04:23 PM
H
hornet527 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

No

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5311420 09/17/14 04:25 PM
H
hornet527 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H

good deal, not to bust your bubble, but, the answer will lie in the coming years. might have to re treat stay after em and youll get em

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5311448 09/17/14 04:42 PM
U
USMCatfish Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
U
Yes, That is what I am starting to hear....Wait till next spring to see what died and what lived. Oh well hopefully the ones that survived will stay dormant till spring.

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5311468 09/17/14 04:50 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
For smaller mesquite / ones you can foliare spray or anything that spouts from cutting then the remedy & diesel treatment I'd use Sendero & surfactant.
Then you don't have to worry about any re growth.

Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5311571 09/17/14 05:48 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Since the jug of Remedy had no instructions, I called them.
They recommended 1 oz Remedy to 1 gallon water for mesquite.
They also recommended 1 oz of dish soap (surfactant) per 1 gallon of water.
I have seen many variations of this that seem to work fine. And so far that mix kills cactus, persimmon, hackberry, and God knows what else seems to die.
The blue die helps a lot, when I use it everything get blue on it, the mesquite, the Ranger, me, the dog. That stuff is a mess.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Update on Remedy [Re: Simple Searcher] #5311587 09/17/14 05:55 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
The blue die helps a lot, when I use it everything get blue on it, the mesquite, the Ranger, me, the dog. That stuff is a mess.

I had the hose on a 4-gallon back pack sprayer with Crossbow, diesel, and blue dye come loose when I was spraying some salt cedar. Every time I pumped, I got a dose of that stuff all down my back. Of course I didn't realize it until I had pumped three or four times. bang

[Linked Image]
Re: Update on Remedy [Re: USMCatfish] #5311624 09/17/14 06:12 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Sooo.... if your walking around spraying mesquites 1-1/2 ish in diameter... why aren't we clipping them low and then basal spraying? yes I realize top killing a mesquite(fire, clipping etc.) doesn't work they just come back pizzed off(wow using my range classes, dr. scott would be proud)... but it does slow them down.

Last edited by catslayer; 09/17/14 06:13 PM.

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide