Print Thread
Fannin County Deer Season Questions #5307318 09/15/14 01:41 PM
J
J.R. Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
New lease is in Fannin county, and I've got some questions about the regulations I'm hoping my fellow THF-ers can help clear up. So, here's what TPWD says on Fannin county deer season:

"North Texas

Archery Only Sept. 27 - Oct. 31, 2014

Antlerless Deer (Archery Only) No permit is required to hunt antlerless deer unless MLDP permits have been issued for the property.

General Season Nov. 1, 2014 - Jan. 4, 2015

Youth-Only

Early Youth-Only Season Oct. 25 - 26, 2014

Late Youth-Only Season Jan. 5 - 18, 2015

Bag Limit 4 deer, no more than 2 bucks, and no more than 2 antlerless, all seasons combined.

Antler Restrictions

Antler Restrictions do not apply on properties for which Level 2 or Level 3 MLDPs have been issued. For the seasons listed above, a legal buck is a buck deer having at least one unbranched antler, or an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. The inside spread requirement does not apply to any buck that has an unbranched antler. Not more than one buck with an inside spread of 13 inches or greater may be taken.

Antlerless Deer

If permits have been issued for the harvest of antlerless deer, they must be attached to all antlerless deer harvested on the tract of land. Antlerless deer may be taken without permits from Thanksgiving Day through the Sunday immediately following Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 27-30. At all other times November 1-26 and December 1 – January 4, antlerless deer may be taken by antlerless MLD permit or LAMPS permit only. On tracts of land for which LAMPS permits have been issued, no LAMPS permit is required for the harvest of antlerless deer during the archery-only or muzzleloader-only open season."

There are no MLD permits or any any other permits on this property.

So, I understand that I can only take two does. It looks like the site says I can take them with a bow any time during season (Sept. 27-Jan 4th.). But in the last paragraph, it says I can only take does during Thanksgiving weekend. Is that for rifle only, or does that mean "Thanksgiving weekend ONLY for does, no matter the weapon, period"?

On bucks, I see that I may take one spike and one legal (13"+ inside spread) buck. What I don't see clearly spelled out is: WHEN can I take them, and does it matter if I use rifle or bow? (By the absence of verbiage to the contrary, it would appear I can take them with a bow during archery season or rifle season, and with a rifle during rifle season, but I don't want to assume anything, ya' know?)

Finally: My 10 yr. old daughter wants to graduate from shooting hogs to taking her first deer this year. In order to legally hunt the Youth Season/s, does she need her own license even though I'll be right there with her, or is she allowed to use one of my tags?

Thanks for any clarity anyone can lend. New county, new restrictions, and new person on the trigger with me this year, so I just want to keep it all legal.

Thanks again!

J.R.

"First come smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Re: Fannin County Deer Season Questions [Re: J.R.] #5307416 09/15/14 02:38 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Does can only be taken during bow season and thanksgiving weekend. Two only, both seasons combined. Your bucks can be taken during bow or gun season. And yes your daughter needs a licence. Hope that helps.

Re: Fannin County Deer Season Questions [Re: ChrisB] #5307422 09/15/14 02:40 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
And yes you can still bow hunt thanksgiving weekend.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide