Know thine enemy.... #5303285 09/12/14 08:28 PM
R
RangerRick Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
Chiggers.....Evil things...
Thought Id post a lil FYI since I hadn't seen any direct post lately.
Article says:

Trombiculid mites go through a life cycle of egg, larva, nymph, and adult.[15] The larval mites feed on the skin cells of animals. The six-legged parasitic larva feeds on a large variety of creatures, including humans, rabbits, toads, box turtles, quail, and even some insects. After crawling onto their hosts, they inject digestive enzymes into the skin that break down skin cells. They do not actually "bite" but instead form a hole in the skin called a stylostome and chew up tiny parts of the inner skin, thus causing severe irritation and swelling. The severe itching is accompanied by red, pimple-like bumps (papules) or hives and skin rash or lesions on a sun-exposed area. For humans, itching usually occurs after the larvae detach from the skin.[16]

Also Says:

Because chigger wounds are a complex combination of enzymatic and the resulting mechanical damage, plus allergy and immune responses, plus possible secondary bacterial infection subject to local influences, no one remedy works equally well for most people.

It is the chiggers' digestive enzymes in the saliva that cause "the insanely itchy welts".[30] The itching can be alleviated through use of over-the-counter topical corticosteroids and antihistamines. According to Mayo Clinic, the chiggers "fall off after a few days, leaving behind red, itchy welts" which normally heal on their own within one to two weeks.[31] Hot showers or baths also will help reduce itching. In cases of severe dermatitis or secondary infection associated with chigger bites, a doctor should be consulted.[32]

According to an Ohio State University Extension Fact Sheet:[33]

...After returning from a chigger-infested area, launder the field clothes in soapy, hot water (125°F.) ....As soon as possible, take a good hot bath or shower and soap repeatedly. The chiggers may be dislodged, but you will still have the stylostomes, causing the severe itch. Scratching deep to remove stylostomes can cause secondary infections. For temporary relief of itching, apply ointments of benzocaine, hydrocortisone, calamine lotion, New Skin, After Bite, or others recommended by your pharmacist or medical doctor. Some use Vaseline, cold cream, baby oil, or fingernail polish. (The sooner the treatment, the better the results.)....

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombiculidae

The way things should be are not often the way things are.....
Re: Know thine enemy.... [Re: RangerRick] #5303392 09/12/14 09:24 PM
Q
QuackShack Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Q
Little dab of clear finger nail polish on them right when they come up does the trick everytime.
Got about 30 chigger "bites" right now, but for me the ticks is what has been so bad!
Sitting at work after scout trip this morning and whats crawling on me? Freaking ticks! In my younger days they didnt bother me, now I cant stand them.

Re: Know thine enemy.... [Re: RangerRick] #5303878 09/13/14 01:53 AM
D
DLFant Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
hate them

Re: Know thine enemy.... [Re: QuackShack] #5304172 09/13/14 04:47 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: QuackShack
Little dab of clear finger nail polish on them right when they come up does the trick everytime.
Got about 30 chigger "bites" right now, but for me the ticks is what has been so bad!
Sitting at work after scout trip this morning and whats crawling on me? Freaking ticks! In my younger days they didnt bother me, now I cant stand them.

How, exactly, does finger nail polish help?

Re: Know thine enemy.... [Re: RangerRick] #5304376 09/13/14 01:36 PM
J
jdk1985 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I can't stand ticks. Grosses me out.

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: Know thine enemy.... [Re: RangerRick] #5304408 09/13/14 01:52 PM
R
Robalero Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
So, how do you keep the ticks off? Your dog, and you? Went dove hunting last week, didn't do much dove hunting because it has rained here a lot and we got stuck in the mud, but the little time we did have we went out scouting for quail. I took four ticks off my dog that evening and checked him again on Monday morning just to be sure; I took four ticks off me.

Patience, Lots of Patience!
Re: Know thine enemy.... [Re: RangerRick] #5304411 09/13/14 01:55 PM
Q
QuackShack Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Q
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2012/04/12/will-nail-polish-cure-chigger-bites/

Read the 30 thoughts or comments below that article about it being a wives tale, apparently it works for lots of other folks too and it's been working for me for 35 years. cheers

It relieves the itch and supposedly suffocates the chigger. The red bump is still going to be there no matter what, but generally it stops the itch and lessens the time the redness stays around. Clear just so your not walking around with your daughters hot pink polish all up your leg and on your arms.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide