Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
The benefits of hunting without feeders #5302539 09/12/14 02:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
The ongoing discussion in another thread brings to mind that there are benefits in not using feeders. The first one that comes to mind is that you don't end up attracting hogs, something that most landowners and their neighbors would likely prefer. And let's face it, having good relations with landowners and their neighbors is something that can open new and additional leasing opportunities. You also save A LOT of money on feed, not to mention the cost of the feeder itself and maintenance. And if your lease has cattle on it, you don't have that constant battle of keeping cows out of your feeder.

Not to be overlooked is that, at the end of the day, most if not all of us don't need the meat. Being able to harvest just one or two deer a season is probably more than we can consume on our own. And if you're also one who can fight back the ego-driven rage to shoot a trophy buck, you're very likely to satisfy your overall needs by simply following traditional hunting tactics to fill your ice chest. Besides, you may it a lot more challenging than just sitting in an old office chair waiting from something to show up and eat.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302547 09/12/14 02:08 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
for whitetail,if your not hunting a feeder, your hunting a food source or watching a trail in most cases....which means your still sitting in an old office chair waiting for something to show up.

we have to feed, as it is part of our wildlife exemption guidelines. we don't attract more hogs as we trap them when they come to the feeders. also part of our wildlife exemption plan. not feeding them does nothing for the elimination of them, and if you have water in the summer and there are hogs in the area, you are going to have them regardless of feed

you can fence cows out with cattle panel

feeding is beneficial for wildlife all the way around, not just deer, but all manner of animals. our turkey population has tripled (unfortunately) due to our feeding with our neighbors also feeding.

you say we don't need the meat, well others might. I donate several deer a year to ministries. not to mention that most of the state has a herd that is right at or over Carrying Capacity and needs deer shot anyway

I have a feeling that since you don't want/need to use feeders, you are trying to validate that your deer shot without a feeder "means" more than a deer shot over a feeder or food plot.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302552 09/12/14 02:11 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
You need only consider how well game animals thrive on public lands to find proof that feeders are more for the benefit of hunters than for the animals we're after.

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302557 09/12/14 02:13 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
You need only consider how well game animals thrive on public lands to find proof that feeders are more for the benefit of hunters than for the animals we're after.

Game animals don't thrive that well on public lands in texas. those lands are managed for public recreation not wildlife.

that's why people try to get away from the nat. forests not flocking to them. Most game animals don't do well eating pine cones and pine needles.

not to mention if we stopped all supp. feeding game populations across a large portion of the state would crash due to their dependence on it

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302605 09/12/14 02:35 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Most people do not feed enough to make a difference one way or the other IMO. If range and habitat conditions are average or above then deer do not use a feeder that much. When times are tough the deer use them more. Supplemental feeding is what it should be, the deer eat when or if they need it. It is a food plot in a bag since most areas of Texas are not good farmland. People that feed corn year round are feeding more than just deer. Majority of the year that corn goes to more than just deer if it has been raining and conditions are average or above. By your definition then planting and hunting over a food plot is the same mentality of the "trophy hunter" hunting over a feeder.
What's next? Are you going to define what someone calls a trophy with a new thread? confused2

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: stxranchman] #5302610 09/12/14 02:38 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Most people do not feed enough to make a difference one way or the other IMO. If range and habitat conditions are average or above then deer do not use a feeder that much. When times are tough the deer use them more. Supplemental feeding is what it should be, the deer eat when or if they need it. It is a food plot in a bag since most areas of Texas are not good farmland. People that feed corn year round are feeding more than just deer. Majority of the year that corn goes to more than just deer if it has been raining and conditions are average or above. By your definition then planting and hunting over a food plot is the same mentality of the "trophy hunter" hunting over a feeder.
What's next? Are you going to define what someone calls a trophy with a new thread? confused2

a trophy is the one deer that you will harvest using no other means than your grandpa's open sighted Winchester in a national forest using bullets you handloaded yourself

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302618 09/12/14 02:42 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I feed, plant, hunt water, or just trails... either way I don't see one easier than the other... some spots just work better hunting certain ways imo

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302669 09/12/14 03:01 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
My point is a rather simple one that unfortunately, has been lost in all the hype over growing deer with big racks.

That is, the sport can be far less expensive, carry a lot less hassle, and satisfy our needs when practiced as it was before feeders were considered the norm.

We can debate all the issues that go with people putting feeders too close to property lines, or what the rules should be on hunting near someone else's feeder, etc, on some other day.

Unlike bullets or arrows, feeders are not a must if you want to fill an ice chest with venison.

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302699 09/12/14 03:15 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Do you want to deny someone like my 88 year old Dad that last chance he had to hunt in Dec of 2012? He did not give a rat azz about your thumbing of your nose about how he was able to hunt his last season. There are of things that factor into hunting over a feeder or food plot beside your "trophy" vision.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: txtrophy85] #5302702 09/12/14 03:17 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
[quote=txtrophy85

not to mention if we stopped all supp. feeding game populations across a large portion of the state would crash due to their dependence on it [/quote]

Yeah.. that is probably the least intelligent thing I heard in quite a while....... White-tailed deer are that fragile

Last edited by SingleShot85; 09/12/14 03:18 PM.
Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302706 09/12/14 03:18 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
My point is a rather simple one that unfortunately, has been lost in all the hype over growing deer with big racks.

That is, the sport can be far less expensive, carry a lot less hassle, and satisfy our needs when practiced as it was before feeders were considered the norm.

We can debate all the issues that go with people putting feeders too close to property lines, or what the rules should be on hunting near someone else's feeder, etc, on some other day.

hunting is a much or as little a hassle as one wants it to be. same goes for expenses beyond basic costs. if you don't want to buy corn, don't buy corn, if you don't want to feed very much, only have your feeder going off in the evenings, etc.

Corn feeders don't and never have grown big racks.

your vendetta against trophy hunting is very misplaced going after feeders.

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: stxranchman] #5302710 09/12/14 03:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Do you want to deny someone like my 88 year old Dad that last chance he had to hunt in Dec of 2012? He did not give a rat azz about your thumbing of your nose about how he was able to hunt his last season. There are of things that factor into hunting over a feeder or food plot beside your "trophy" vision.

You're confusing thumbing your nose with a simple reminder that those of us who are younger and more capable, need not piss and moan about having to deal with a feeder-related issue.

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302711 09/12/14 03:20 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Consider this Dan: I run several feeders on my east TX property. It helps keep the deer supplementally fed and on my place (I'm convinced it kept some alive during the bad drought of 2010-2011). I also do a bunch of other stuff to benefit the deer-provide "sanctuary" areas, plant food plots, allow some pastures to go to seed to provide bedding areas, kill/trap hogs like crazy, keep poachers away by cameras, my presence and prosecuting them, and on and on and on.....

My place had been shot out when I bought it. I have propagated/saved MANY more deer than me or the very few folks I allow to hunt my place will take in our lifetimes.

From what I can tell, your hunting consists of going on public land, watching a trail, and potting a deer.

Yet you are on your high horse about me having feeders??

Give me a break.

P.S. If you really knew anything about mature east TX bucks, you would know they rarely come to a feeder-especially in the daytime. Most never come to one. In 10 years of hunting my place, exactly one mature buck has been taken under a feeder. I suppose if you met her you would give her a lecture on how she sucks as a hunter:

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: SingleShot85] #5302721 09/12/14 03:23 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
[quote=txtrophy85

not to mention if we stopped all supp. feeding game populations across a large portion of the state would crash due to their dependence on it

Yeah.. that is probably the least intelligent thing I heard in quite a while....... White-tailed deer are that fragile [/quote]

you have created inflated game populations due to the supplemental feeding on certain properties. if you have a ranch that is feeding 60-80 tons of protein and you take that away, deer are going to die off.

I have been on too many properties to count that have a deer population that is being artificially sustained by feeding.

so what was it I said that was unintelligent?

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302730 09/12/14 03:28 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Have you ever started a thread that wasn't either subtly or blatantly lecturing others, Dan?

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: cameron00] #5302748 09/12/14 03:37 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Have you ever started a thread that wasn't either subtly or blatantly lecturing others, Dan?

Rarely. I will give him this though, he doesn't curse or insult folks. He's way more the passive-aggressive type.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: cameron00] #5302751 09/12/14 03:38 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

We could use our time to debate how far feeders should be put from property lines, or if you should pay the rancher for a cow that gets into your feed pen and dies, or how many feeders a single member should be able to maintain on a lease, or how close members should be allowed to put their feeders near another member's feeder, or...

So if simply reminding others who want to bicker over such things that it's still quite easy to harvest deer without a feeder is something that makes me a lecturer, call me guilty.

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302755 09/12/14 03:41 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

As I mentioned below, we could use our time to debate how far feeders should be put from property lines, or if you should pay the rancher for a cow that gets into your feed pen and dies, or how many feeders a single member should be able to maintain on a lease, or how close members should be allowed to put their feeders near another member's feeder, or...

those are rules that are determined by the property owner and his guests or by the leasees.

it has nothing to do with feeders in and of themselves. come on now.

how about using our time to not debate about trivial matters?

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5302767 09/12/14 03:55 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

P.S. If you really knew anything about mature east TX bucks, you would know they rarely come to a feeder-especially in the daytime. Most never come to one. In 10 years of hunting my place, exactly one mature buck has been taken under a feeder. I suppose if you met her you would give her a lecture on how she sucks as a hunter:

that's why I love south texas.....mature bucks are the first ones to the feeder

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: txtrophy85] #5302772 09/12/14 03:58 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

that's why I love south texas.....mature bucks are the first ones to the feeder

Murderer. Dan would stalk them through the huisache and prickly pear. grin

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302783 09/12/14 04:02 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I leave a radio running for mine at the stand so they got something to listen to...

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302789 09/12/14 04:06 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
One of the best tracts that I hunt in East Texas is one that costs me zero because of the relationship that I have with the landowner. At one time I kept a feeder going more for the benefit of family members who sometimes hunted the property as well. A neighboring landowner mentioned the feeder might have been attracting the hogs that were hitting his fields. So out of respect for his thoughts, I removed the feeder and have continued hunting the property for years without one. It was also a decision that led to him allowing me to access his property anytime I wish in order to retrieve game. So needless to say, I have stands near the property line with no issues to worry about. And yet every year, the tract still produces plenty of shooting opportunities.

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302793 09/12/14 04:09 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
One of the best tracts that I hunt in East Texas is one that costs me zero because of the relationship that I have with the landowner. At one time I kept a feeder going more for the benefit of family members who sometimes hunted the property as well. A neighboring landowner mentioned the feeder might have been attracting the hogs that were hitting his fields. So out of respect for his thoughts, I removed the feeder and have continued hunting the property for years without one. It was also a decision that led to him allowing me to access his property anytime I wish in order to retrieve game. So needless to say, I have stands near the property line with no issues to worry about. And yet every year, the tract still produces plenty of shooting opportunities.

great story.

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: txtrophy85] #5302829 09/12/14 04:24 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
[quote=txtrophy85

Yeah.. that is probably the least intelligent thing I heard in quite a while....... White-tailed deer are that fragile

you have created inflated game populations due to the supplemental feeding on certain properties. if you have a ranch that is feeding 60-80 tons of protein and you take that away, deer are going to die off.

I have been on too many properties to count that have a deer population that is being artificially sustained by feeding.

so what was it I said that was unintelligent?

[/quote]

the fact I have to point it out is reason enough, but since you asked.. specifically "large portions and crash" are exaggerated and inflammatory

and "I" have created neither over population nor dependency

Re: The benefits of hunting without feeders [Re: Texas Dan] #5302841 09/12/14 04:28 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
The ongoing discussion in another thread brings to mind that there are benefits in not using feeders. The first one that comes to mind is that you don't end up attracting hogs, something that most landowners and their neighbors would likely prefer. And let's face it, having good relations with landowners and their neighbors is something that can open new and additional leasing opportunities. You also save A LOT of money on feed, not to mention the cost of the feeder itself and maintenance. And if your lease has cattle on it, you don't have that constant battle of keeping cows out of your feeder.

Not to be overlooked is that, at the end of the day, most if not all of us don't need the meat. Being able to harvest just one or two deer a season is probably more than we can consume on our own. And if you're also one who can fight back the ego-driven rage to shoot a trophy buck, you're very likely to satisfy your overall needs by simply following traditional hunting tactics to fill your ice chest. Besides, you may it a lot more challenging than just sitting in an old office chair waiting from something to show up and eat.

Ego-driven rage??? I don't "need" to hunt or fill my ice chest, but it's a helluva lot of fun chasing after whitetail bucks.

Last edited by Grosvenor; 09/12/14 04:28 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide