Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5289882 09/05/14 06:46 PM
T
TomPr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Try pressing on the round fence from the outside. You might decide you need more posts or wires holding the fence out.

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5290112 09/05/14 08:56 PM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: WTGuide] #5290281 09/05/14 10:59 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: WTGuide
Get him on a jumping cow and take them to the National finals in Las Vegas and you would be set for life.

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: J.G.] #5290395 09/06/14 12:27 AM
G
GTS1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
You don't owe anything. You did your part building the pen. The rancher runs on land that he knows hunters hunt on and have feeder pens. His cow got in your pen, his loss. No different when the neighbors cattle tresspass onto my 70 acres. I am not responsible for their well being. They broke in last week and I called the rancher letting him know 10 head were on my place. Hung up the phone and was done with it. Got a phone call 12 hours later letting me know they got the cattle off and they patched fence all day. Ok, I'll let you know if they break in again.

This!

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5296765 09/09/14 05:40 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Well unfortunately I received a call from the rancher and things didn't go well. He expects me to pay for the lost cow since it was my fence that the cow died in. We are going to modify our contract for the next year but currently I am not willing to risk my season over $1500 which is what we agreed to. I know that doesn't cover the full cost of replacement but it is more than half.

Never imagined this scenario playing out and it wasn't addressed in our current lease. Learn as you go I guess.

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5296803 09/09/14 05:53 PM
T
talkturkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Hmmmm, HE neglects to check on HIS cows and you pay... something just don't sound right about that. Sorry to hear he's a jerk.

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5296806 09/09/14 05:55 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Wow...Sorry to hear that, but if its a good lease and your vested...consider it hiccup..Add some t post's secure the hell out of it and dont look back...Good Luck I have a ton of old extra tpost's and right down the road from you and your welcome to a few if that eases the pain..again good luck

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5296889 09/09/14 06:38 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Extortion $$ in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5296929 09/09/14 06:58 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
That sucks. What a turd.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5297788 09/10/14 01:51 AM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

^^^THIS^^^

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5297809 09/10/14 01:58 AM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I hunted on a ranch in the panhandle years ago that had some mule deer on it. I was watching a draw one morning when a big mulie buck came busting out of the draw chasing a doe. The only clear shot offered to me was when he was directly between me and about 30 head of cattle so I didn't take the shot. I told the landowner about it a couple of weeks after mule deer season was over. Told him I was worried about the bullet passing through the deer and hitting one of the cattle.
He said "Hell I would have shot him,them damn cows die all the time anyway."

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5298015 09/10/14 03:17 AM
T
Txduckman Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
T
That's ridiculous. They are responsible to check their cows and know what hazards are on their place. It hopped 34 inches and would not hop out. That cow was going to die of something stupid sooner or later on the place.

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5298237 09/10/14 12:09 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Props to the OP for being honest and doing your best to smooth things over. I think your being taken advantage of by paying for the cow. Unfortunately lease hunters often have to kiss the booty to keep a good lease. Just the nature of the game. Good luck.

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5298239 09/10/14 12:11 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Then maybe there should be warning labels on deer feeder pens warning not so smart cows of the hazards of jumping in.

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: SniperRAB] #5298505 09/10/14 02:52 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Wow...Sorry to hear that, but if its a good lease and your vested...consider it hiccup..Add some t post's secure the hell out of it and dont look back...Good Luck I have a ton of old extra tpost's and right down the road from you and your welcome to a few if that eases the pain..again good luck

Appreciate the offer. But you are exactly right when you say I am vested. I have already paid in full for this year so I don't really have an option but to protect my investment and enjoy the season. I would like to say next year I will be in the market for a new lease but those are obviously hard to come by.

Only thing I know is I won't have another lease contract without this exact even spelled out in it.

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5298518 09/10/14 03:01 PM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Leonardo
Well unfortunately I received a call from the rancher and things didn't go well. He expects me to pay for the lost cow since it was my fence that the cow died in. We are going to modify our contract for the next year but currently I am not willing to risk my season over $1500 which is what we agreed to. I know that doesn't cover the full cost of replacement but it is more than half.

Never imagined this scenario playing out and it wasn't addressed in our current lease. Learn as you go I guess.

You got screwed. But like they said, if the lease is good its probably worth the hiccup.

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5298535 09/10/14 03:09 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Appreciate the offer. But you are exactly right when you say I am vested. I have already paid in full for this year so I don't really have an option but to protect my investment and enjoy the season. I would like to say next year I will be in the market for a new lease but those are obviously hard to come by.

Only thing I know is I won't have another lease contract without this exact even spelled out in it.

Your doing the smart thing... no reason making anything worse because that's all fighting the issue is gona do. [censored] happens and you got the bad side of the deal but now youll have it in writing and I bet the guy checks his herd a little more often now.

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5299238 09/10/14 08:29 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
This turned out to be one of those good news bad news threads.
The bad news is you got the short end of the stick, but the good news is you stayed on good terms with the rancher as a responsible hunter, and the most important is the cow is dead, and won't be jumping anymore fences!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5299264 09/10/14 08:42 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Leonardo - Sorry to hear you are out the $1,500 - and it sucks this situation happened altogether.
I applaud you for wanting/willing to do what you need to, in order to move forward...even though I don't think you are responsible here.
I also have hopes that you have the most successful season you've ever had in your entire life, however you would define that.

Last edited by George - w/ Map My Ranch; 09/10/14 08:43 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5300356 09/11/14 11:17 AM
R
rackjudge Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

Maybe he is on here and read where you were willing to pay....

Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5300834 09/11/14 03:25 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
I've been watching this to see how it panned out before commenting. I know I'm in the minority, but I'd probably have to walk after this. "A good lease" simply isn't worth it to me to get shafted by the LO like that. And I say that not to stir the pot, but as a landowner myself. I'd rather hunt public land (and have) than to deal with a crooked landowner.

What happens the next time an incident occurs? A precedent has been set and he now knows he can take you to the cleaners again. There's no way you can stipulate all of the possible scenarios in the contract to protect yourself.

Everyone's mileage may and will vary, but these are my thoughts. I'm walking after I complete my obligation with the contract.

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: kry226] #5300868 09/11/14 03:45 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kry226
I've been watching this to see how it panned out before commenting. I know I'm in the minority, but I'd probably have to walk after this. "A good lease" simply isn't worth it to me to get shafted by the LO like that. And I say that not to stir the pot, but as a landowner myself. I'd rather hunt public land (and have) than to deal with a crooked landowner.

What happens the next time an incident occurs? A precedent has been set and he now knows he can take you to the cleaners again. There's no way you can stipulate all of the possible scenarios in the contract to protect yourself.

Everyone's mileage may and will vary, but these are my thoughts. I'm walking after I complete my obligation with the contract.

Landowners have a bit of leverage knowing there would be plenty of hunters waiting in line to lease, probably even overnight a check without seeing the place.

To be determined
Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Leonardo] #5300958 09/11/14 04:33 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: MikeC

^^^THIS^^^

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Leonardo, you did well. It was your fence that trapped the cow and so the responsibility is on you. That he isn't making you pay the full amount is a bonus.

don k is right on his collapsing circle theory. With as few posts as you have, the fence will collapse in quite readily and basically the cow can just push its way in, but it can't push its way out. You needed more posts to take up the slack.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: TurkeyHunter] #5300961 09/11/14 04:35 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted By: kry226

Landowners have a bit of leverage knowing there would be plenty of hunters waiting in line to lease, probably even overnight a check without seeing the place.

Of course they do...until hunters start walking...and word gets around about how a particular landowner treats his hunters. It all comes down to how much you value your hunting. Now, I'm a hunting lunatic and I will find a place to hunt somehow someway. But I'll be danged if I'll help line a sheisty landowner's pocket...while also enalbing him to continue treating hunters unfairly. Again, to each their own. Get me once, shame on you. Get me twice, shame on me.

Edited to add that I am not saying the landowner in this case is a dishonest person. But I also do not believe he is treating the OP fairly.

Last edited by kry226; 09/11/14 04:37 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer Lease Accident [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5301041 09/11/14 05:21 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted By: MikeC

^^^THIS^^^

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Leonardo, you did well. It was your fence that trapped the cow and so the responsibility is on you. That he isn't making you pay the full amount is a bonus.

don k is right on his collapsing circle theory. With as few posts as you have, the fence will collapse in quite readily and basically the cow can just push its way in, but it can't push its way out. You needed more posts to take up the slack.

"extortion"
noun
"The practice of obtaining something,especially money, through force or threats."

The force is being the LO/rancher. Direct.
The threat is that he will lose his lease if he doesn't capitulate. Implied.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide