Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study #5271879 08/26/14 12:57 AM
Sniper John Offline OP
gumshoe
OP Offline
gumshoe
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/editorial/2014-2015/did-you-know-that...

"Statistically, there is no difference based on the hunter-reported data," Slack said. A total of 1,178 hunters participated in permit hunts at six separate facilities during the 2010–2013 seasons, with 529 using crossbows and 649 using vertical bows.

"The hunter success rate with vertical bows (including both recurve and compound) was 17.3 percent. With crossbows, the success rate was 16.8 percent," he said. So much for the myth of a crossbow advantage.

As far as the claim that crossbows can be long-range weapons, research shows that the average shot was 26.3 yards with crossbows and 22.3 yards with vertical bows. Another set of myths down the drain.

"While it may be easier for someone to shoot targets farther and more accurately with a crossbow, live animals can hear and respond to crossbows–they can be pretty loud–causing a hunter to miss," Slack said.

Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: Sniper John] #5271961 08/26/14 01:50 AM
M
mchitched Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Wow! I would have never believed that but im glad the myth has been disproven.

Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: Sniper John] #5271968 08/26/14 01:51 AM
T
texashelms Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Kool!!

Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: Sniper John] #5272136 08/26/14 02:57 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

It's crow eating time for some!!!

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: Sniper John] #5272719 08/26/14 02:44 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I've never understood the mentality that crossbows are easier to shoot, I guess its a rifle hunter thing but todays compounds are a more effective weapon for me, they are smaller, much lighter, more maneuverable (espcecially around tree limbs if your up in a tree stand), and maybe most importantly a whole lot quieter when shot than an xbow, you can even buy a device called a draw loc that locks a compound at full draw like a crossbow if you must. I really see no advantage of xbows over a modern compound.

Last edited by bossbowman; 08/26/14 08:29 PM.
Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: bossbowman] #5273027 08/26/14 05:18 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: bossbowman
I really see no advantage of xbows over a modern compound.
There is one, but it's the other way around!!! grin
My brother bought one when they became legal for archery season. While hunting one evening, a BIG hog came in. He shot and missed. Hog didn't run off. I asked why he didn't take a 2nd shot. He said he only carried one bolt with him!!! I said WTH??? WHY???
He said that there was no way he could [censored] the dang thing up in the stand, so that's why he only took one bolt with him!!! eek2

Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: sqiggy] #5274344 08/27/14 12:36 PM
T
texashunter900 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Originally Posted By: bossbowman
I really see no advantage of xbows over a modern compound.
There is one, but it's the other way around!!! grin
My brother bought one when they became legal for archery season. While hunting one evening, a BIG hog came in. He shot and missed. Hog didn't run off. I asked why he didn't take a 2nd shot. He said he only carried one bolt with him!!! I said WTH??? WHY???
He said that there was no way he could [censored] the dang thing up in the stand, so that's why he only took one bolt with him!!! eek2

yep, he is right. Also no way of doing it quickly and quietly if you did carry another bolt.

Last edited by texashunter900; 08/27/14 01:47 PM.
Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: Sniper John] #5274435 08/27/14 01:44 PM
D
DFWPI Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

One morning I heard a bunch of squealing and grunting, so I got off my stand and slipped up on about 15 pigs. These were the two that didn't make it back to the bedding area. The big one was chasing and fighting with the others, and he chased this spotted one by me. I took out both lungs on the spotted one and the big one just watched him run off. He then turned and went back to fighting other pigs, and while doing so, I took another arrow, cocked the bow, loaded it and started another stalk. The big one didn't like what he was seeing and came towards me and I shot him square in the chest. As he stumbled off, I cocked again and loaded another arrow and started to stalk again, but the other pigs wandered off into the thick stuff near the creek.

Tell your brother to carry more than one, I carry 4 in my quiver, 5 more in a hip mounted quiver and several arrows with judo points in my backpack.

Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5274555 08/27/14 02:47 PM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

It's crow eating time for some!!!

up

I just don't understand why it took TPWD 3 years to figure out what everybody else already knew. All they had to do was come here and ask. confused2

Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: Sniper John] #5274609 08/27/14 03:18 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
yep... but gotta prove it to the nay sayers...

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: Sniper John] #5274686 08/27/14 03:58 PM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
To say there is no advantage to using a crossbow is a stretch. They are easier to shoot whether it be at a target or an animal. You just don't have form issues with a crossbow like you do with a bow.

Something to think about, maybe the data is flawed. Maybe a lot of the crossbow hunters are converted rifle hunters who don't believe in or just do care to practice scent control and that is causing them to be less successful. No telling.

I don't have a problem with them allowing crossbows. Gets more kids in the woods. I'd like to buy one just to keep around for women and kids.

Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: Sniper John] #5274718 08/27/14 04:10 PM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I bought one due to tendinitis in my left elbow and a jacked up rotator cuff. I can see it being hard to take a second shot in some instances, but at least I can shoot it whereas I can barely draw and hold up a bow.

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: Sniper John] #5274856 08/27/14 05:26 PM
J
James Rains Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
The biggest advantage of a cross bow is you don't ha e to draw when the animal comes in witch is one of the hardest things to accomplish. Other than that not much difference.

Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: toolman] #5274928 08/27/14 06:07 PM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: toolman
I bought one due to tendinitis in my left elbow and a jacked up rotator cuff. I can see it being hard to take a second shot in some instances, but at least I can shoot it whereas I can barely draw and hold up a bow.

My brother has the same issue. We backed his bow down to 55lbs and he is fine and I've seen it blow right through a hog with a mechanical broadhead.

Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: Sniper John] #5296640 09/09/14 04:45 PM
H
HR3 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
here is a head scratcher for me,

Crossbows

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Crossbows are lawful for any person during the Archery-Only Open Season in all counties except Collin, Dallas, Grayson and Rockwall counties , where no person may use a crossbow to hunt deer during the Archery-Only Open Season unless the person has an upper-limb disability and has in immediate possession a physician's statement that certifies the extent of the disability. An upper-limb disability is a permanent loss of the use of fingers, hand, or arm in a manner that renders the person incapable of using a longbow, compound bow, or recurved bow.

what's the rationale? don't make sense to me

One Of The Sons Of Thunder
John 1:12.."..as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name"
Re: 3 year public hunt TPWD Crossbow study [Re: Sniper John] #5298103 09/10/14 04:54 AM
W
wisco-hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Man I love this topic! Just not enough info here for me to make a judgment, there are too many variables (the numbers are close but one side could have a bunch of crappy hunters, different hunting set ups, etc.) What I do not like about this article is that instead of just stating the facts and making it an informative article, he makes it a persuasive speech. He compares his argument of cross bow vs. compound bows to another argument of judging a deer's age by the wrinkles in his ears, and implies if you believe that one of his arguments is true...they must both be true. He tries to make you feel incompetent if you don't agree with his "scientific" study by using lines like "Their indisputable claims–at least in their minds–can be entertaining in some cases, but under the glare of scientific scrutiny their wildlife wisdom withers into a mishmash of myth and misconception". I don't like people trying to make me feel stupid if I don't agree with their OPINION! I have nothing against cross bow hunting but I do personally believe (my own opinion) that the crossbow is a more efficient weapon than a compound bow when hunting deer. He then goes on to basically state that almost everybody else agrees with his study by using the line "Fortunately for the rest of the outdoor community". I really wish this article was written by a lifetime bowhunter rather than some clown that is good at shooting skeet and cooking. This "author" is exactly that, he's a writer of cookbooks and a skeet shooter, that uses persuasive writing to try to get others to agree with a flawed study. The subtext at the bottom of the article states that he's an award winning writer...well I want to read an article from an award winning archer, not a quack writer, but that's just me. Funny thing is he states two sets of facts in the article and one goes directly against his argument. He states that the kills that occurred with the crossbow were at an average of 26.3 yard compared to an average vertical bow kill of 22.3 yards. He basically thinks his readers are idiots and that they will agree that this is an insignificant difference...well that's far from the truth. Hear me out...that's a difference of 12 feet (79ft vs. 67ft.) or almost an 1/5 (18%) range advantage. To me if you can cover more area (and almost a 20% range advantage when using a short range weapon is major...for me at least) you can kill more deer. Hear me out one last time, I promise, lol, if you have a kill range of 67 ft in a circle you cover approximately 14103 square ft. (simple math, Area of Circle= 3.14x(Radius squared)) and a crossbow would give you a kill zone of 19607 square ft. This would give the cross bow hunter 39% bigger killing zone (5504 square feet more of kill zone). And sorry to Mr. Ralph Winingham, but mama didn't raise no fool, logic tells me if you have a larger kill zone you will kill more deer. On a larger scale my example would be a rifle compared to a bow...bigger kill zones relate directly to more deer killed. I rarely type up a response but this quack writer really got under my skin, lol! I did look into some UNBIASED studies by professional ARCHERY HUNTERS!!! Here are two good ones http://www.marylandqdma.com/files/Download/Pedersen-31-34.pdf and http://onlineathens.com/stories/091411/spo_885563824.shtml These articles are written without a biased opinion and show that vertical bow actually have a higher kill rate that crossbows, great articles. I still believe (just my own personal opinion and stereotyping from life experience) that this is due to the difference in hunters that use a crossbow and a vertical bow, but that's just a personal opinion. Anyways I would love to see the rest of the study to see if they counted the number of wounded deer by vertical bows vs. crossbows the article only seems to give the success rates. There are about another million question I have about this study that I would love to see, unfortunately the d-bag writer has spoiled it for me! (can I say d-bag on here???) Anyways, hope ya'll enjoyed this write up and can't wait to see when a real study is completed and released to the public on this topic, but I believe it will almost be impossible to do because every hunt, hunter, and killing situation is so completely different. Last thing...I'm raising a beer in cheers to the sport of all kinds of Bowhunting (not skeet shooting and cooking) and toasting the great debate of the vertical bow vs. the crossbow! Can't wait for the season to start and good luck to everybody no matter what your shooting with!

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide