Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,803
Posts9,729,329
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time #5290799 09/06/14 05:41 AM
S
sunsetroosters Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
I've got a place that is about 60 acres and I've been wanting to bow hunt it. Here is my question, I've got a feeder set up on a big wheat field that's on a tree line. My feeder is probably 120-150 yards from the fence line that backs up to a big ranch, I'm guessing 5-7 sections. I'm kinda worried about bow hunting it with a bow because if I drop a buck of a lifetime " which this place has that potentiol for me" with a bow, would you experience bow hunters be worried he might jump the fence. I've only shot two deer with a bow so I don't have a ton of experience with how far they typically run... Thanks in advance

Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: sunsetroosters] #5290908 09/06/14 12:20 PM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Good shot placement is the key. They are most likely going to run some with even the best placed heart or double lung shot, but my experience is it will be less than 100 yards. Remember not to push them. Stay in your stand at least 30 minutes after the shot unless you can clearly see them from the stand and they have expired. If you question your shot, back out the opposite way then the way the deer ran and give them even more time before trying to track them.

Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: sunsetroosters] #5290915 09/06/14 12:30 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Probably not a bad idea to get to know your neighbor too. You never know when you might need to track a deer down. It would be a bummer if he ran just a bit too far and you didn't know how to contact them.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: sunsetroosters] #5290955 09/06/14 01:09 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
^this.. Knowing your neighbors is key... I talked with mine and gave them my number saying let me know if they ever have a deer go onto my side and they are more than welcome to come find it... id even help.. just wanted the same in return.

I strictly bow hunt my property that is 40 acres and have had better luck hunting closer to the property line than in the middle.. it might sound silly but if you can shoot them when they are facing the direction you want them to go.. iv never shot a deer that turned around and headed the opposite way. Iv also taken 5 deer out of the same stand in the last 3 years. Goodluck! I wish I had a big wheat field ha

Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: sunsetroosters] #5290960 09/06/14 01:13 PM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
thanks guys... I would love to get to know my neighbors, because there is no stands as far as I can see. but this in the middle of nowhere. theres one house I can see that might own it but its the only house around for miles...

Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: Navasot] #5290983 09/06/14 01:31 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Navasot
^this.. Knowing your neighbors is key... I talked with mine and gave them my number saying let me know if they ever have a deer go onto my side and they are more than welcome to come find it... id even help.. just wanted the same in return.

I strictly bow hunt my property that is 40 acres and have had better luck hunting closer to the property line than in the middle.. it might sound silly but if you can shoot them when they are facing the direction you want them to go.. iv never shot a deer that turned around and headed the opposite way. Iv also taken 5 deer out of the same stand in the last 3 years. Goodluck! I wish I had a big wheat field ha

This ^^^^^^ has been my experience as well. I have also found that if a deer runs off by itself and is hit good it does not go as far. If it follows or leaves with a group after it is shot, it is more likely to try to follow that group of deer. What is worse is when it starts to fall or hitting brush/trees and spooking the rest of the deer. That seems to spook them even worse and the deer I shot tried to keep up with them. If the deer I shot ran with or toward other deer I sit and listen for one of them to snort when the deer I shot is staggering or going down. That gives me a reference as to where my deer was last at or went down. Like posted above they seem to be less than 100 yards away when this happens.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: Navasot] #5291113 09/06/14 03:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
^it might sound silly but if you can shoot them when they are facing the direction you want them to go.. iv never shot a deer that turned around and headed the opposite way. Iv also taken 5 deer out of the same stand in the last 3 years. Goodluck! I wish I had a big wheat field ha

first two animals I killed with a bow wheeled around at the shot and went the complete opposite direction they were facing

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: sunsetroosters] #5291343 09/06/14 06:06 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've bowhunted exclusively on a ranch for 16 seasons straight, and I've shot multiple deer during a season during those years.
Get to know and get permission from the neighbor is your best way to approach it.
Shooting a deer only if it's facing a certain direction isn't always going to work. I've had deer shot that only jumped, stood still looking around and gingerly start walking off only to hobble and keel over. I've had some take off like a bat out of heel and run almost a complete circle around my stand which when paced off would be well over 100 yards, and what amounted to a double lung perfect shot.
Whaty I'm saying is you never know, so don't take the chance of losing a trophy.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: sunsetroosters] #5292996 09/07/14 08:35 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: sunsetroosters
thanks guys... I would love to get to know my neighbors, because there is no stands as far as I can see. but this in the middle of nowhere. theres one house I can see that might own it but its the only house around for miles...
Just go to the county's tax office and find out who is the person paying the taxes on the neighboring property. Get a name and number and call them.

Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: sunsetroosters] #5293356 09/07/14 11:06 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Get the permission to access in writing, it will save you a lot of hassle if the GW shows up.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: sunsetroosters] #5293507 09/08/14 12:30 AM
T
texashelms Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Oh boy they can run that for sure after a good hit. Here's a crossbow video(not mine) of a whitetail hunt.

http://youtu.be/QZpmCIeZ8Bc?t=2m15s

Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: sunsetroosters] #5293669 09/08/14 01:56 AM
R
rockinrdranch Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Get to know the neighbors. You catch more flys with honey.

Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: rockinrdranch] #5293783 09/08/14 02:30 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: rockinrdranch
Get to know the neighbors. You catch more flys with honey.

Bowhunting on 60 acres you take a big chance on losing deer if you can't cross fences trailing a deer. It's just fact, not just opinion.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: sunsetroosters] #5293797 09/08/14 02:37 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I had a hunter on my lease shoot one that jumped the fence last Fall. He called me and said it jumped the fence and I told him to call the GW. He did and the GW came right out there and walked across the fence with him to recover the deer. If you can't get permission from the LO the GW can help you as a last resort if one jumps the fence.

Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: BowSlayer] #5293824 09/08/14 02:49 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
I had a hunter on my lease shoot one that jumped the fence last Fall. He called me and said it jumped the fence and I told him to call the GW. He did and the GW came right out there and walked across the fence with him to recover the deer. If you can't get permission from the LO the GW can help you as a last resort if one jumps the fence.

The GW can help you, but if the LO doesn't want you on his property, the GW can't recover it for you. Call the GW, but don't rely solely on the GW as a recovery method. On 60 acres, I would definitely locate the owners.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: txtrophy85] #5299375 09/10/14 09:30 PM
K
Kung Fu Widgeon Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
^it might sound silly but if you can shoot them when they are facing the direction you want them to go.. iv never shot a deer that turned around and headed the opposite way. Iv also taken 5 deer out of the same stand in the last 3 years. Goodluck! I wish I had a big wheat field ha

first two animals I killed with a bow wheeled around at the shot and went the complete opposite direction they were facing

Same

Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: sunsetroosters] #5300008 09/11/14 02:45 AM
llbts1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
My neighbors are more than welcome to come look for a deer. All I ask is the courtesy of a phone call letting me know before hand. They know that.
No phone call, it's a different issue.

Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: txtrophy85] #5300068 09/11/14 03:10 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

At two of my stands, the deer seem to always run the same direction, no matter which way they are facing. At a third stand, they almost always run the direction they were facing.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Ok for you guys that have been bow hunting a long time [Re: sunsetroosters] #5300838 09/11/14 03:27 PM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
thanks for all the help guys, I definitely think im gonna try to find out who owns that property now. who knows maybe they want to lease those 4 or 5 sections smile

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide