Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,769
Posts9,728,951
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Feedback to provide scope makers regarding HUNTING with color palettes / image filters #5249791 08/12/14 10:57 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I am interested in obtaining feedback from users/owners of optics which have color palette options for viewing and taking Hogs and other small varmints.

My main target group for the poll and this thread is Hunters and not necessarily Mil/Leo use or non-use of color filters for video/viewing images.

I would like to let this thread run for two months in duration before I engage scope/optic manufacturers with the data/input from field users.

Along with taking the poll, for which I have afforded you 3 choices, select the 3 that you think or know would be of benefit in a hunting situation and explain or provide photos videos that support your use of or desire to see a color implemented.

I have limited this thread and discussion to SOLID color palettes, there are countless others currently available on scopes but to me they are too busy and degrade the images and cause pre-mature eye fatigue. IF need be a separate thread for "skittle palettes" will be run based on feedback to this data call.

All right, the information that I am interested in getting input on is as follows:

• Do you ordinarily hunt in black hot or white hot mode and why do you choose one over the other?

• When using color palettes in a certain given color do you experience eye strain or fatigue any differently than with black or white hot?

• With the use of solid color palettes do you notice a positive or negative effect on image quality overall, i.e. contrast between target and color edge and/or surroundings (trees/grass/structures)

• Would you buy a particular scope if it offered a color palette that you preferred in addition to black/white hot and that isn't offered by another scope maker. In other words is this a feature that you factor into a purchase decision (low/med/high priority)

• Do you agree that solid color palettes are more beneficial that multi-colored options specific to a hunting or spotting scenario?

Here are a few videos of the SEPIA color palette, PLEASE upload additional videos of viewing game or hunting in a SOLID color palette to this thread so that we can all take in a different view of the world and educate ourselves to positive or negative outcomes of image filter use. NOTE: IF YOU MANIPULATE a black/white hot video via a software program to demonstrate other solid color profiles please be sure that you indicate this to viewers of the video, we don't want people thinking something exists when in fact it isn't a true representation of a video or image off of a scope.

This may at first be limited to thermal imagers (TI) but I am confident that digital scopes and optics will begin to employ these color palettes in the future.

THANKS!

VIDEO SAMPLES:

Hog Hunting with an ATN TI - beginning and middle of video (NOT MY VIDEO)

Raccoons at 100 yards with an Armasight Zeus 3 TI

Solid Color Palette
multiple choice, up to 3 choices
Votes accepted starting: 08/12/14 09:54 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Re: Feedback to provide scope makers regarding HUNTING with color palettes / image filters [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5253279 08/14/14 08:26 PM
HOG RUSH Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I feel that White Hot is perfect for a default setting. It really depends on the gain settings of the scope. However, in some scenes, like in a field of wheat or other contrasting ground cover, Black hot seems to catch my eye more and looks better. A lot has to do with the gain levels the scope is set to.

The color pallets in my opinion, do not need to be in a weaponsight. Unless it is an orange or green that mimics the white hot mode.

Here is a black hot scene where White hot just did not show as much contrast:

In the next scene, White Hot looked better to me overall:

The following scenes are next to a river where there is always a high humidity and Black Hot or Green Hot always looks better:

Here are some examples of where white Hot just did the trick:

www.hogrush.com
"There Will Be Blood"
"ONE SHOT...ONE SQUEAL"
Home of "Overlord"
Re: Feedback to provide scope makers regarding HUNTING with color palettes / image filters [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5258963 08/18/14 03:41 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Hoop -

Thank you for your valuable input! Look forward to more videos from you in ANY color wink

Here is some footage of deer from an ATN Thor from this weekend.

Love me some SEPIA!

HTXH

Re: Feedback to provide scope makers regarding HUNTING with color palettes / image filters [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5259012 08/18/14 04:26 AM
T
Texaslawman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I prefer black hot over white hot in almost any situation, to me the targets stand out better and I can acquire and engage them faster. The only solid color I would really use is green just like on the w1000, a green filter saves your night vision and will work with black or white hot. There is a reason the military chose green.

Pro staff: LWRCI, VORTEX OPTICS, SILENCER SHOP, HORNADY AMMUNITION, Barnes Bullets, Bass Pro Shops, . Huey Outdoors. CMMG INC.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/LoneStarBoars?sub_confirmation=1
Re: Feedback to provide scope makers regarding HUNTING with color palettes / image filters [Re: Texaslawman] #5259087 08/18/14 11:13 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Texaslawman
I prefer black hot over white hot in almost any situation, to me the targets stand out better and I can acquire and engage them faster. The only solid color I would really use is green just like on the w1000, a green filter saves your night vision and will work with black or white hot. There is a reason the military chose green.

TLM -

You and Hog Rush are the professionals and wht/blk and sometimes green is pretty much the standard selections based on yalls feedback through experience. No doubt it is a proven set of palettes.

This thread is about those scopes that give you options that are rainbow or neon or clash with the image, if the scope makers are going to continue to include palattes then let's see if we can provide them with end user feedback to improve on the chances of their use.

The prime example for me is SEPIA - not sure why it wasn't around since the beginning but glad it made it on a couple of scopes and interested to know what else is out there I might not know I'm missing,yet...

Thanks,

HTXH

Re: Feedback to provide scope makers regarding HUNTING with color palettes / image filters [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5259174 08/18/14 01:18 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Well, as you know Ben, I am a Sepia fan also. I get all the eyesight things and shades of green and the military uses and and whatever... However, I have never enjoyed using green as I get no depth perception and my eyes just don't seem to work well with it. I much prefer WPT as it feels brighter and offers more depth perception. That's just me.

Now, as best I know with my ATN, you cannot use black hot (my preference) in the color palettes. I like the Sepia, but sure wish they would let me switch from white hot to black hot and vice versa. If you could switch, then I would like the ability to make my own palattes much as the drawing programs. Flip side, we might want these options, but the overwhelming majority of users would probably use what is already there anyway. That would be a lot of work to go through for a manufacturer for very little or no return. I don't see it..

Re: Feedback to provide scope makers regarding HUNTING with color palettes / image filters [Re: dfwroadkill] #5259239 08/18/14 01:59 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Well, as you know Ben, I am a Sepia fan also. I get all the eyesight things and shades of green and the military uses and and whatever... However, I have never enjoyed using green as I get no depth perception and my eyes just don't seem to work well with it. I much prefer WPT as it feels brighter and offers more depth perception. That's just me.

Now, as best I know with my ATN, you cannot use black hot (my preference) in the color palettes. I like the Sepia, but sure wish they would let me switch from white hot to black hot and vice versa. If you could switch, then I would like the ability to make my own palattes much as the drawing programs. Flip side, we might want these options, but the overwhelming majority of users would probably use what is already there anyway. That would be a lot of work to go through for a manufacturer for very little or no return. I don't see it..

Hey Deryl -

I think it will be an evolution, I agree that inverse polarity of hot in the color modes would be of benefit. For example black hot in SEPIA.

Not sure on the engineering side what it takes to make this happen, I am hopeful that it isn't a technological impossibility but rather just something they didn't think to employ and no "ordinary user" has ever mentioned it to them.

That's where I am coming from on this, give me the wants/wishes list and we can go from there.

Next step in the evolution would be user editable features - like you I don't see that so much happening and that isn't the primary goal of the thread. Might also be easier on digital platforms as opposed to thermal but regardless too much can go wrong here.

Thanks and more videos would be awesome up

Ben

Re: Feedback to provide scope makers regarding HUNTING with color palettes / image filters [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5290937 09/06/14 12:51 PM
D
DavidK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I've been slacking, been meaning to respond with videos etc, but I'll give my take from my last hunt. I've been getting ready for my elk hunt so haven't had time to upload videos where I went through color palettes.

Here is my take.... of all the colors that I have available on my Zeus, Sepia is a good option as it seems to be less strain on the eyes, but what I noticed is if there is a higher humidity the objects don't stick out as well. When the humidity is lower, Sepia can give good identification.

I have video from one night of a deer and a mouse at 70 yards, looking at that mouse at 70 yards on 5x, it appears to best work with either black hot or white hot. I can't imagine any other color pattern that would work better. Some may be close, but the issue comes down to is identification, for better words.

What I mean is how well I can identify an object versus the surroundings. There are multiple color palettes like 'color 1' on the Zeus that gives better animal detail, but not better identification.

So when a shooting opportunity arises, black hot or white hot is easier to identify and to track an animal.

Wilson Combat Pro Staff
Re: Feedback to provide scope makers regarding HUNTING with color palettes / image filters [Re: DavidK] #5291080 09/06/14 02:54 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: DavidK
I've been slacking, been meaning to respond with videos etc, but I'll give my take from my last hunt. I've been getting ready for my elk hunt so haven't had time to upload videos where I went through color palettes.

Here is my take.... of all the colors that I have available on my Zeus, Sepia is a good option as it seems to be less strain on the eyes, but what I noticed is if there is a higher humidity the objects don't stick out as well. When the humidity is lower, Sepia can give good identification.

I have video from one night of a deer and a mouse at 70 yards, looking at that mouse at 70 yards on 5x, it appears to best work with either black hot or white hot. I can't imagine any other color pattern that would work better. Some may be close, but the issue comes down to is identification, for better words.

What I mean is how well I can identify an object versus the surroundings. There are multiple color palettes like 'color 1' on the Zeus that gives better animal detail, but not better identification.

So when a shooting opportunity arises, black hot or white hot is easier to identify and to track an animal.

Dave much thanks for the feedback - you've not been slackin , it's just that taking/editing/publishing video takes additional time and effort and certainly prioritu would be on that Elk Hunt!

Goodluck and bring us back some thermal video of the elk

wink

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide