Print Thread
Few Osage/Hickory Trads! #5288286 09/04/14 09:18 PM
B
BadLander Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Both Osage were made from the tree beside my house! Brother retired up in New Mexico met an ol man that is showing him all he knows! 1st pick is hickory bow pulling 60#28"
Both Osage are 65#28" mine is in the works brought it to texas to run about 200 arrows thru it and now it's back getting horn put in it! One of a kind! I love my Mathews but damn these are addictive !!!!!! These are not made with saws or blades were talking buck knife, ax, wood files for tillering! Strings are made with 8 pieces and Linx for silencers!

Re: Few Osage/Hickory Trads! [Re: BadLander] #5288802 09/05/14 01:52 AM
B
bjankowski Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Nice bows; I shot compounds for years but nothing compares to trad. That will separate the men from the boys.

Re: Few Osage/Hickory Trads! [Re: BadLander] #5289110 09/05/14 06:07 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Great lookin bows, however I'm in the "boy" category for a while till bowhunting starts getting boring. I don't see that happening for a while. If I may ask, what makes the traditional bows addicting? Is it more of a challenge that makes you want to shoot more to get better? Or is it just easier? What is it about them?

PS sorry for the side tracking

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Few Osage/Hickory Trads! [Re: Bullfrog] #5289191 09/05/14 12:05 PM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Bullfrog
Great lookin bows, however I'm in the "boy" category for a while till bowhunting starts getting boring. I don't see that happening for a while. If I may ask, what makes the traditional bows addicting? Is it more of a challenge that makes you want to shoot more to get better? Or is it just easier? What is it about them?

Bullfrog; first of all cool Bullfrog at the bottom of your post.. I like it's cool.

Shooting a compound vs a traditional is the difference between rifle hunting and pistol hunting, there is no comparison, they both shoot a bullet, but the range and consistency is the big, big difference. I can knock the socks off a fly at fifty yards with a compound, and have a difficult time hitting a tennis ball at 20 with a trad consistently. I hope that analogy helped.

Just because you're dealing with a stick and string it doesn't make it more simple either, the string, nock, arrows and FOC are far more critical with a trad than with a compound, everything will affect arrow flight.

To put it in a nut shell (FOR ME) not speaking for anyone else there is no challenge hunting with compounds anymore I might as well rifle hunt good grief compound have just evolved too much and they are too fast with too many gadget to help over come bad form and middle of the line shooters.

I'm not putting down compounds, they opened to me a new wonderful world that I've would have never known. You have to understand Brother, I started with long bows, the compounds had not been invented yet. I have been involved in shooting competition since the mid sixties, and when compounds came out my dad was a world class Olympic shooter one of the best in the world in (rifles). We owned at that time a state of art rifle, pistol trap and skeet range, archery included in Dallas (Winchester Gun Club) so we had major tournaments at our place almost every weekend in every catagory where I got to meet some of the pioneers of early compounds that got me in the door with so many manufactures that put me on their staff. Up until a few years ago when I broke my ties with a major bow company (not going to mention them by name, my friends on here know who it was) due to so much traveling I just couldn't meet their obligations. I have NEVER had to buy a bow, arrows, and almost anything I wanted, it was all provided by my sponsors. So I am in not in way putting down compounds I have just out grown them. Archery has been my life for over 50 years and will continue to do so. I love the sport, nothing like in the world, compounds and traditional included.

Re: Few Osage/Hickory Trads! [Re: BadLander] #5289299 09/05/14 01:16 PM
B
BadLander Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
I've only been shooting for the last year! You don't just walk out in the yard and step off 20 yards and drop a target! You learn to judge distance by where my arrow needs to go! I kind of explain it to my wife if she's 10 yards away I shoot the arrow like throwing a baseball but if she moves out to 20 or 25 yards I've got to give the baseball/arrow I different path to hit my target there are no pins , it's called instinctive shooting! Once again to me it's just a high of taking something that was growing in my yard a couple years earlier! There's also no let off you pull 65 lbs to your set point and that sucker is gone! Of course my answer is coming from my experience! I'm sure you will get more out of J's answer the Man has been slinging arrows for 50+ years ! This is from about 16 yards Brothers bow while my is being finished

Re: Few Osage/Hickory Trads! [Re: BadLander] #5289380 09/05/14 01:57 PM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
That's how to do it Badlander; I started my grandson when he was three at five yards, he's 11 now and holding a pretty nice pattern at 20. Next year he'll be ready to deer hunt with his 35# bow.

Yes you are so right, 10 and then two or three yards in increments. I won't shoot a deer more than twenty but I practice out to 40 yards, just to keep in shape in case I want to shoot some trad 3D's.

Re: Few Osage/Hickory Trads! [Re: Bullfrog] #5289561 09/05/14 03:53 PM
G
Gummi Bear Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Bullfrog

It is kind of like the joy of riding a bicycle, even though you've had a drivers license since you were 16.

I started out shooting trad bows when I was a little kid. It is purely instinctual. I was hunting small game with that old Bear when I was 7 or 8 years old. I bought my first compound bow and started hunting with it when I was 12 or 13 with lawn mowing money. I still own and tinker (a little bit) with trad bows.

While they are simpler in concept, and it is rewarding to see your arrow in flight, they are infinitely much more difficult to master. Many people will spend a lifetime pursuing the perfection of trad bow shooting. Here's another thing: with a compound, you can get away with not practicing for a while, and still be a competent shooter. With a trad bow, your skills are perishable. If you do not practice, you will fall apart, and may be lucky to hit the broadside of a barn if locked inside. I practice with my recurves and long bow just enough to keep my arrows on the bale blush

I encourage anyone to pick up a recurve and some proper arrows for it, and fiddle with it some. Even the most hardcore wheelie bow shooter can be found with a big goofy grin shooting a simple trad bow.

The darn trad bows tend to accumulate as well. I have 2 compound bows, but 4 trad bows, and I fantasize about putting together a ILF target bow for something else to monkey with.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...”

Henry David Thoreau
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide