Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Hogs escaped trap! #5283317 09/02/14 01:17 AM
1riot1ranger Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Had hogs in the trap this weekend and all around us as we were going to the blind. Flushed two little ones walking in. It was dark and a I could hear the hogs banging in the trap so decided to go on to the blind, try to hunt and take care of the hogs after daylight and I finished hunting. Listened to these hogs all morning, one sounded a lot bigger with some smaller grunts and squeals mixed in. Finally, it got quite. Nothing was coming around after all that noise and I went to investigate and dispatch the hogs. The trap was empty! They had moved the trap at least 10-12 inches and across a small cedar sapling that was growing in the pen. The spring on the door was weak, which allowed it to be easily pulled/pushed in. This is a typical 4X8 trap with a swinging trap door. Any one have suggestions for where to get a replacement spring? Oh, they ate all the corn that was in the trap!

Re: Hogs escaped trap! [Re: 1riot1ranger] #5283377 09/02/14 01:58 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
You can buy replacement springs at most hardware stores, but if I were you I would modify my trap. I've had several spring loaded swinging door box traps and don't like them. What I have done is this.....remove the spring and roll your trap over so that the door will fall/swing straight down. Ty-wrap (zip tie) a couple of bricks to the inside bottom of the door - put plenty tie-wraps to absorb the shock of the door falling. Re-orient your pulleys and trip wire so that one end is clamped to the trap and stretches across the back of your trap running through a pulley (this is your trip wire put your corn behind it), then install another pulley on the top of your trap above the base of your door in the open position. Wire coming down to the trigger needs to have a slight angle away from the front of the trap. Make a trigger (a piece of bent flat bar or a bolt with a big washer on it works well - clamp the wire to it) that the door will sit on and adjust location of top pulley and the tension on your trip wire. Once all of that is done and tested, drive two T-posts on opposite corners and tie with wire. I trap a lot of pigs and have never lost one in one of these styled traps since I modified them - unless you get a toad in there that breaks the welded panel/wire and pushes open a hole, yes that's happened. Just my 2cents It's cheap to modify it and it works very well for this type a box trap.

Re: Hogs escaped trap! [Re: skinnerback] #5283412 09/02/14 02:21 AM
1riot1ranger Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
You can buy replacement springs at most hardware stores, but if I were you I would modify my trap. I've had several spring loaded swinging door box traps and don't like them. What I have done is this.....remove the spring and roll your trap over so that the door will fall/swing straight down. Ty-wrap (zip tie) a couple of bricks to the inside bottom of the door - put plenty tie-wraps to absorb the shock of the door falling. Re-orient your pulleys and trip wire so that one end is clamped to the trap and stretches across the back of your trap running through a pulley (this is your trip wire put your corn behind it), then install another pulley on the top of your trap above the base of your door in the open position. Wire coming down to the trigger needs to have a slight angle away from the front of the trap. Make a trigger (a piece of bent flat bar or a bolt with a big washer on it works well - clamp the wire to it) that the door will sit on and adjust location of top pulley and the tension on your trip wire. Once all of that is done, drive two T-posts on opposite corners and tie with wire. I trap a lot of pigs and have never lost one in one of these styled traps since I modified them - unless you get a toad in there that breaks the welded panel/wire and pushes open a hole, yes that's happened. Just my 2cents It's cheap to modify it and it works very well for this type a box trap.

thanks. I bought some pulley's and wire recently thinking that it was time to replace what was on it. This sounds like a good time to reconfigure. After seeing how much they pushed that trap I was considering driving a couple of fence posts on the sides

Re: Hogs escaped trap! [Re: 1riot1ranger] #5283422 09/02/14 02:31 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: 1riot1ranger
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
You can buy replacement springs at most hardware stores, but if I were you I would modify my trap. I've had several spring loaded swinging door box traps and don't like them. What I have done is this.....remove the spring and roll your trap over so that the door will fall/swing straight down. Ty-wrap (zip tie) a couple of bricks to the inside bottom of the door - put plenty tie-wraps to absorb the shock of the door falling. Re-orient your pulleys and trip wire so that one end is clamped to the trap and stretches across the back of your trap running through a pulley (this is your trip wire put your corn behind it), then install another pulley on the top of your trap above the base of your door in the open position. Wire coming down to the trigger needs to have a slight angle away from the front of the trap. Make a trigger (a piece of bent flat bar or a bolt with a big washer on it works well - clamp the wire to it) that the door will sit on and adjust location of top pulley and the tension on your trip wire. Once all of that is done, drive two T-posts on opposite corners and tie with wire. I trap a lot of pigs and have never lost one in one of these styled traps since I modified them - unless you get a toad in there that breaks the welded panel/wire and pushes open a hole, yes that's happened. Just my 2cents It's cheap to modify it and it works very well for this type a box trap.

thanks. I bought some pulley's and wire recently thinking that it was time to replace what was on it. This sounds like a good time to reconfigure. After seeing how much they pushed that trap I was considering driving a couple of fence posts on the sides

up Also may want to add some extra tie wire to the corners after you T-post it down (panel to frame of trap). If you get a big one in there and your trap is anchored down he/she is gonna hit that trap pretty hard for a bit. I had one a few years ago that moved the trap 6 ft and almost fell into the tank. Anchoring down is good, just make sure trap is solid.

Re: Hogs escaped trap! [Re: 1riot1ranger] #5284011 09/02/14 04:09 PM
1riot1ranger Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Thanks! Folks sharing helpful information make this a great site!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide