Page 1 of 2 1 2
Easy way to stake dove decoys #5277464 08/29/14 12:26 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline OP
Snarky Mark
OP Offline
Snarky Mark
I
I just broke some plastic clothes hangers. Works perfect.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5277545 08/29/14 01:08 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
With mine the clip is backwards compared to yours, and that is better because that can just be stuck in the dirt. Or just stick the tail in the dirt.

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5277584 08/29/14 01:27 AM
S
sling Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I just buy the super cheap tent stakes at walmart and bend the end out so it's an L instead of a J, if that makes sense. They're heavy duty for the purpose of dove decoys and real cheap too (not quite as cheap as plastic hangers!).

I do shoot some grey or black spray paint on them...just so they aren't reflective.

I've also just stuck the tail in the dirt...however...I feel like they work better if they're 6-10" off the ground so they cast a good shadow and are just overall easier to see. That could just be my perception again....but that's what I feel like works for me.

At some point this season I'll have lost most of my tent stakes....I'll try the hangers then smile

Last edited by sling; 08/29/14 01:30 AM.
Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: sling] #5277590 08/29/14 01:32 AM
I
Snarky Mark
OP Offline
Snarky Mark
I
If I can reach out to just one person, it makes all those broken hangers worth it. grin

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5277623 08/29/14 01:45 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The heck with those stakes, just stick them in the ground anyway they go. Now OCD Sling, he is going to sand them stakes, primer, then spray paint, etc.. roflmao

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5277699 08/29/14 02:21 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
I cut some rod and bent them into an L. Sanded and painted. bolt

[Linked Image]

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5277737 08/29/14 02:33 AM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Dove decoys really??? Talk about OCD, maybe a mojo or two. Ya'll using calls too?
All these dove threads are pretty funny though.
It will be funny to see all the mojos, dove trees, and decoys people set up opening morning and walk around shooting dove wearing there white and blaze orange tshirts.

The dove opener is always tons of fun to watch, looking forward to it. People watching at it's best.

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5277754 08/29/14 02:39 AM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Dove decoys work. Probably don't need them on the opener but don't knock it until you've tried it..

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: mohunter] #5277772 08/29/14 02:47 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Hey Mo them dove decoys on the ground work good, they simulate dove feeding. That with a couple mojos, looks like pile of seed on the ground with dove feeding.

This seems to work best where there is no food. Me and my son hunted one time on a private spot, no food, dirt field, several hunters, birds came right to our spread. We had a decent hunt, other shot zero. Birds came right to our spread, the few birds there were. Old man came up to us after the hunt and said "I never believed in them decoys until today".

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: mohunter] #5277782 08/29/14 02:53 AM
I
Snarky Mark
OP Offline
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted By: mohunter
Dove decoys really??? Talk about OCD, maybe a mojo or two. Ya'll using calls too?
It will be funny to see all the mojos, dove trees, and decoys people set up opening morning and walk around shooting dove wearing there white and blaze orange tshirts.

The dove opener is always tons of fun to watch, looking forward to it. People watching at it's best.

Gotta have decoys on the ground. There's no room for birds to land on my Sling Fence.

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5277788 08/29/14 02:55 AM
A
Aggieduck Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Did the same thing only on a large private pond stuck 3 high in the tree as I could reach and put 5 on the ground clipped to sticks I stuck close to the water. Had birds come straight to me.

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5277790 08/29/14 02:56 AM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I am not saying they don't work, just normally not necessary.
Guy, BTW that place we talked about has a lot of birds if you ever need a place. Should be a good season.

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: mohunter] #5277803 08/29/14 03:02 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Ya'll using calls too?

Those are useless, fun for kids. My son used to love using his call, and it sounded cool in the quite field (Frisco not a good place for it grin) . It does not hurt to use the call. Seems like someone told me the call they make is momma calling her young.

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5277900 08/29/14 03:48 AM
D
DLFant Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
cool

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: mohunter] #5277942 08/29/14 04:16 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Mo that's like saying decoys are not necessary for duck hunting. You can take passing shots, or decoy them. That's half the fun decoying the birds, making them land where they were not planning on landing.

One of the best dove hunts me and my son had, we set up in a field, all dirt plowed field no food. no other hunters in the field, dove flew over, saw our mojos, they would turn, cup up like ducks I kid you not, and come in from way up high. We had a 2 man limit in no time. It was the coolest hunt ever .

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: Guy] #5277954 08/29/14 04:25 AM
S
sling Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: Guy

Mo that's like saying decoys are not necessary for duck hunting. You can take passing shots, or decoy them. That's half the fun decoying the birds, making them land where they were not planning on landing.

One of the best dove hunts me and my son had, we set up in a field, all dirt plowed field no food. no other hunters in the field, dove flew over, saw our mojos, they would turn, cup up like ducks I kid you not, and come in from way up high. We had a 2 man limit in no time. It was the coolest hunt ever .

Yeah, I haven't been doing this long, but I'm 100% sure that I'd have shot less birds without my decoys and fences. It still pays to scout and put them in a spot that dove would normally go. After watching how they work for a few years I'm sold on good sized spreads, particularly when the birds get sparse and a weary of cover. Dove seem to love nothing more than move dove...it's just flips the paranoia switch firmly to the "off" position if they see a group of feeding birds.

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5278143 08/29/14 12:53 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
The decoys work, they work well enough that I had a hawk attack my mojo last year. Pretty cool to watch.

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5278262 08/29/14 02:03 PM
D
drake_taker Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Go the inexpensive route. Go to Lowes and to the section with chainlink fence. Get the little aluminum wires that are used to hold the fence to the poles. They come in a package of 30 for about $4.

Lowes 6 inch wire stakes.

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: mohunter] #5278312 08/29/14 02:32 PM
S
switchln Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S

This. The 2 worst things that have happened to dove hunting: decoys and allowing hunting before noon. Dove hunting is about minimal work. Drink beer, shoot, watch your dog get birds. Those simple facets of dove hunting are what make it special. It's like people are going out of their way to make dove hunting difficult. If you want that, go duck hunting, lol.

Note: I like duck hunting too, it's just a lot of work.

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: switchln] #5278320 08/29/14 02:36 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: switchln

This. The 2 worst things that have happened to dove hunting: decoys and allowing hunting before noon. Dove hunting is about minimal work. Drink beer, shoot, watch your dog get birds. Those simple facets of dove hunting are what make it special. It's like people are going out of their way to make dove hunting difficult. If you want that, go duck hunting, lol.

So because someone wants to put more effort into a hunt than you, you think its the worst thing to happen to hunting?

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: switchln] #5278340 08/29/14 02:43 PM
I
Snarky Mark
OP Offline
Snarky Mark
I

You're right. Decoys are stupid. A group of guys drinking beer all day with loaded shotguns is a much better idea.

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5278440 08/29/14 03:22 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
cheers cheers cheers

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: switchln] #5278460 08/29/14 03:28 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

agree...to me its a social sport...I love shooting doves but unless its a party with some buddies, its not nearly as fun.

I have just gotten to the point where I'm not gonna wake up at 6 am to go shoot a few birds...would much rather wait till the evening shoot.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5278473 08/29/14 03:35 PM
S
sling Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
That's basically the 2 kinds of dove hunters. The ones that treat it as a social event, a lot of times just hunting the opener and a few other days, and the ones that treat it like any other hunting season. Personally, it's what I have the best access to, so I put the most emphasis on it, and that means learning as much as I can about the birds and what they do in my area, grooming my property in a way that makes the hunting better, and using whatever tools I can to get the birds into shooting range. I probably do treat it like waterfowlers treat ducks in a lot of ways....but no dove calls...that's just silly!

Re: Easy way to stake dove decoys [Re: drake_taker] #5278482 08/29/14 03:39 PM
B
Booner1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: drake_taker
Go the inexpensive route. Go to Lowes and to the section with chainlink fence. Get the little aluminum wires that are used to hold the fence to the poles. They come in a package of 30 for about $4.

Lowes 6 inch wire stakes.

Come to my place and get these, I sell them a 100 to a pack for $6.00.

Born to hunt and fish.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide