Print Thread
Why do folks love hunting exotics? #5274058 08/27/14 03:05 AM
A
Antler Addicts Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Have never understood the appeal for hunting exotics. How does a native Texan as myself even begin to try and think exotic hunting is cool? Curious how some of y'all got interested in exotics? I hear axis meat is awesome and that to me is maybe the best reason for the attraction.

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/teamantleraddicts
Facebook "Like" us! Enter in our GIVEAWAY'S
https://www.facebook.com/teamantleraddicts

Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Antler Addicts] #5274069 08/27/14 03:09 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Meat is way better than WT IOurHO. Year round hunting. Most of this type of hunting is in the Hill Country, and that is a very scenic area so that's a reason for me as well. Hint of hunting back overseas (night hunts, spotlighting, no "limits"). Safari style.

Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Antler Addicts] #5274106 08/27/14 03:38 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Another Hunting experience!

Antlers, Horns or Hide

Meat comes in a variety of packages

Addict to Addict

Last edited by SheepHunter; 08/27/14 03:45 AM.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: chital_shikari] #5274131 08/27/14 04:06 AM
A
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
Meat is way better than WT IOurHO. Year round hunting. Most of this type of hunting is in the Hill Country, and that is a very scenic area so that's a reason for me as well. Hint of hunting back overseas (night hunts, spotlighting, no "limits"). Safari style.

Never thought of this perspective! I can see that being awesome.

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel

Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Antler Addicts] #5274151 08/27/14 04:45 AM
A
Anytimeoutdoors1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Hunting axis deer is much more of a challenge than white tails IMO. U have to beat or not just 1 set of eyes ears and nose. But a herd full. The axis meat blows whitetail out of the water IMO. Even the big bruiser Axis I just took had great meat for an old mature buck still tender and delicious.
The year round hunting can't be beat either. Also night time summer hunts are great for exotics cool temps and watching everything else that lives at night come out in the moon light u can't see that in a traditional whitetail hunt. I hunt the Hillcountry low fence ranch. And I just never no what could walk out. Fallow,axis,blackbuck,stag,elk just to name a few all free range the Tx hill country. I'm a born and raised Texan and started hunting exotics 10 years ago and will never stop there just to tasty...
U should really give it a try. U won't be disappointed.

"Anytime outdoors"
Guide Service
Slingin Hooks or slingin Arrows
anytimeoutdoors@gmail.com
Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Anytimeoutdoors1] #5274156 08/27/14 04:51 AM
A
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Anytimeoutdoors1
Hunting axis deer is much more of a challenge than white tails IMO. U have to beat or not just 1 set of eyes ears and nose. But a herd full. The axis meat blows whitetail out of the water IMO. Even the big bruiser Axis I just took had great meat for an old mature buck still tender and delicious.
The year round hunting can't be beat either. Also night time summer hunts are great for exotics cool temps and watching everything else that lives at night come out in the moon light u can't see that in a traditional whitetail hunt. I hunt the Hillcountry low fence ranch. And I just never no what could walk out. Fallow,axis,blackbuck,stag,elk just to name a few all free range the Tx hill country. I'm a born and raised Texan and started hunting exotics 10 years ago and will never stop there just to tasty...

I am feeling convinced lol up

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel

Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Antler Addicts] #5274246 08/27/14 10:53 AM
A
ancuegar Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
i agree with the above opinions. with the exception of some animals, most of them are way harder to hunt that native animals. and with year round seasons, you can keep your hunting skills honed up all year long. you want a kick in the pants hunt, go hunt nilgai! that is the hardest funnest hunt ive ever been on!

Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Antler Addicts] #5274271 08/27/14 11:40 AM
N
NewJeep Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
The love of the animals.
90% of what we cook is wild game. My wife prefers axis over whitetail.
And last is the mounts look pretty good on the wall.

Live to hunt, forced to work!
Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Anytimeoutdoors1] #5274346 08/27/14 12:37 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J

+2

AA, you should try a hunt for a big axis - then you will know. Especially LF free range.

Different strokes for different folks - but hunting is about experience. Warm weather hunting is a different experience.

One of the strangest and coolest hunting experiences I had was a TPWD draw hunt on Matagorda Island. It certainly was different sitting in a blind among the sand dunes, looking at the ocean.

Get out there and try new things, it might surprise you.

I am an axis nut. To me, the is something very regal about a big axis buck walking out of the brush.

Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Antler Addicts] #5274518 08/27/14 02:21 PM
T
traviselmore Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
One thing I really like about exotic hunting is the diversity. I hunt for several reasons and personal goals. A major part for me is the hunting and taking different species, to me its a challenge to put in enough time, effort, energy, and money to collect the different species (especially since I'm 900 miles from Texas). I am about finished with most of the common exotics and am looking to going after the super exotics, as well as a few native North American species and hopefully an Africa trip soon. I appreciate the differences in the various species and get a good bit of fulfillment getting to cross hunts for different species off my bucket list.

Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Antler Addicts] #5274698 08/27/14 04:02 PM
B
blackdog21 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Year round hunting

A chance to hunt with the kids when they are out of school- When my 9yo takes a picture of a scimitar to school or a picture of her blackbuck hanging in her room, how cool is that? Her classmates went to Hurricane Harbor, she trekked 10 miles after Axis on a 5000 acre ranch for 3 days with her Dad.

Variety of choices in price and challenge.

[Linked Image]
Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Antler Addicts] #5274764 08/27/14 04:41 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Variety is the spice of life. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to hunt different animals.

Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Antler Addicts] #5274769 08/27/14 04:43 PM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I never thought about it until 15 years ago when I bought a place in edwards county. I shot an axis and loved the meat. The years went buy and I just loved the variety. The axis meat is the best tasting meat I have had.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Antler Addicts] #5274775 08/27/14 04:47 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Thrill of the hunt...kinda like women...like to taste all varietys

Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Antler Addicts] #5274822 08/27/14 05:08 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
exotics are fun to hunt.

on a good, fair chase ranch, game like axis and aoudad are a hoot to hunt

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: John Humbert] #5275008 08/27/14 06:47 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: John Humbert

+2

AA, you should try a hunt for a big axis - then you will know. Especially LF free range.

Different strokes for different folks - but hunting is about experience. Warm weather hunting is a different experience.

One of the strangest and coolest hunting experiences I had was a TPWD draw hunt on Matagorda Island. It certainly was different sitting in a blind among the sand dunes, looking at the ocean.

Get out there and try new things, it might surprise you.

I am an axis nut. To me, the is something very regal about a big axis buck walking out of the brush.

Agree with most of this. I love hunting exotics and Axis most of all. They are truly a challenge to take when they know you are after them. They are great eating and make a beautiful wall pedestal mount.
I started hunting exotics because of the rut I'd gotten in hunting whitetails and a desire for something else. For me to kill the kind of whitetail that I want to hunt it was going to cost me 5-6K plus and I guess I'm just not willing to lay out that kind of green for one hunt when I can spend the same amount and go on 2 or possibly 3 hunts. I'm not trying to act like a guy that's taken some monster whitetails because I haven't, my biggest buck ever is a perfectly symmetrical 140 class 10 point. I've hunted whitetails for over 40 years and to be honest I have no desire to ever shoot another 120 to 150 class buck so when my health kept me from hunting elk out west I started looking for something else because I still love hunting and I wasn't ready to give up the sport. Sorry for the rambling but I just got back in from working offshore and I dead tired. Later taters, Baker

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Antler Addicts] #5275820 08/28/14 02:55 AM
A
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
I want to bow hunt some axis now lol Consistent responses across the board. Well I would like to try it, but since we do not run exotics at our HF place or have them on our LF place I will have to be patient and maybe one day be able to justify spending the money to go on a hunt.

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel

Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Antler Addicts] #5277494 08/29/14 12:40 AM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Very simply, whitetails are boring, but I still hunt them. I also hunt predators, all birds, and anything else that's available. I guess its variety for me.

Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: cmc] #5277757 08/29/14 02:40 AM
A
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: cmc
Very simply, whitetails are boring, but I still hunt them. I also hunt predators, all birds, and anything else that's available. I guess its variety for me.

love pred hunting. Quick action

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel

Re: Why do folks love hunting exotics? [Re: Antler Addicts] #5278207 08/29/14 01:32 PM
C
Cankor Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Try the scimitar oryx, it's even better!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide