Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: Kenneth1977] #5271580 08/25/14 10:15 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977
[/quote]
scared I know it is wrong to do what the guy was asking but i was just trying to see what the response would be but to the above post about getting a limit and going back thats where i say if you can shoot a two person limit in the same setting and the other person is there and hunting why is there such a stink about it . It is just like some that i know do on deer they will have one of there son's or wife or daughter tags with them and have a note wrote by them and if he shoots a deer calls them and tells them where it was shot what time and all the facts so if something happens and the GW checks him it should be all good , i am not saying it is right or legal btu there sometimes when laws just dont make much sense.

Seriously! As already said, this one is blatant poaching. As well if one is going to break the law, risk to benefit on this is really stupid bad and expensive. Poaching deer could be a felony depending on how they want to spin it. And these people are incriminating their wife and children. Not to mention what they are teaching their children.

A quick search of the TPWD field reports comes up with several.
Jan 8, 2014
Tag, You’re It
While checking a father and his two daughters, who were hunting in Harris County, a warden found both daughters had multiple tags missing from their licenses. The girls said they had never harvested a deer before and that this was their first time hunting this year. The father said he knew nothing about the missing tags on their licenses because both girls live with their stepfather and mother. After a lengthy interview with the stepfather, citations were issued for hunting under the license of another and over the bag limit of white-tailed deer. Cases pending.

Slip of the Tongue
A Real County game warden was talking to a hunter in a store parking lot about a nice buck in the bed of the hunter’s pickup truck when the hunter admitted that his buddy shot it, but he put his tag on it. The hunter, realizing what he just told the game warden said, “I guess I’m in trouble now.” Cases pending.

Dec 11, 2013
Un-licensed to Kill
Seeing a fresh, clean tag on a large buck brought into a local deer processor, a Polk County game warden became a little suspicious. After checking the license with dispatch, the warden learned that it had been purchased a few minutes before the deer was dropped off at the processor. Several interviews later, the warden found that the man had already killed a large buck on opening day, also killed the buck in question on the same property. To avoid getting caught, the hunter called his brother and asked him to go and buy a license for another family member, who was not a hunter, and bring him a tag. The plan backfired when they forgot to get their stories straight. Charges filed included exceeding the annual bag limit of white-tailed buck deer less than 13-inch antler spread, hunting under the license of another, and possession of an illegally taken white-tailed deer. Cases and restitution on a 140 Boone and Crockett whitetail pending.

Nov 26, 2013
Too Little, Too Late
An Angela County game warden who pulled into a deer camp to check hunters came across a man from Lufkin who had killed a 14-inch, six-point buck on opening day. As he continued to check the camp, the warden saw that a deer had been freshly dressed at the skinning rack. The man told the warden that his girlfriend had killed her first buck, but neither the deer nor the hunter was at the camp. The warden asked the man if he had a picture of the 17-inch, nine-point deer, and the he showed him a photo from his phone of a big deer hanging from the skinning rack by the antlers. The game warden asked if he had a photo of his girlfriend with her first deer and the man said no. After further investigation, the warden found that the Lufkin man killed the buck, then called his girlfriend and asked her to purchase a hunting license and tag the deer. Citations were issued.

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: Sniper John] #5271618 08/25/14 10:38 PM
H
Hubbs Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Originally Posted By: Hubbs
Originally Posted By: garrett
but I can shoot my limit in the morning, go home and clean 'em up, then go back in the afternoon for another limit...if you can do that why cant this guy shoot his wifes birds?

In some areas you could actually take three limits.

Provided you hunt in Texas and neighboring states and have valid license for each.

I could see this if you lived near Texarkana. For example, you could hunt the morning in Arkansas, then a noon hunt in Louisiana and finally an evening shoot in Texas.

Going to ignor Garrett, but I will address this. Tis not true. Migratory bird regulations are based on Federal limits. You can take birds in in all three states in the same day, but you can't exceed the total limit of one state. If the limits are different such as when Texas was under "hunter's choice" and Oklahoma was not, and you are hunting in two states in the same day, the bag limit is probably the bag limit for the last state you are hunting in that day related to possession. But for migratory birds you can't legally shoot a full limit in every state you hunt in a single day.

Learned something new. Thanks.

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: Simple Searcher] #5271637 08/25/14 10:46 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

Hunting, the GW gets POed if you "pool" (put them all in the same pile) the birds.

Depends on the Warden.

[Linked Image]

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: garrett] #5271704 08/25/14 11:22 PM
H
Hunt2Fish Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
but I can shoot my limit in the morning, go home and clean 'em up, then go back in the afternoon for another limit...if you can do that why cant this guy shoot his wifes birds?

roflmao A lot of people I know that hunt dove do that, one time on opening day my ???? killed over 50 peep yes I know its wrong, and I don't do it I promise. angel

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5271705 08/25/14 11:22 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Hubbs,
For non migratory game, it may or may not be legal in some states. Some states do address it for non migratory game. Oklahoma has this with their migratory regulations, but also for Turkey and Pheasant, and probably others.

Hunting in Two States
A hunter who hunts in two states having separate daily limits, may not exceed the largest number of birds that can legally be taken in one of the states in which they take birds.

One would want to be very careful with this one as well because transporting illegal game over state lines then gets into Lacy Act violations.

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5271709 08/25/14 11:23 PM
#
#Hayraker Online Happy
Chihuahua
Online Happy
Chihuahua
#
dumbass abounds in this thread

#sigline
Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: Hunt2Fish] #5271734 08/25/14 11:38 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Hunt2Fish

roflmao A lot of people I know that hunt dove do that, one time on opening day my ???? killed over 50 peep yes I know its wrong, and I don't do it I promise. angel

Someone once posted on THF about a Warden checking hunters at a Motel at Graham catching guys with double limits on opening day. Seen a few where wardens found violations via social network from people bragging, posting, or pictures as well. Some on on THF too. Probably a lot more than I/we know about too. Like remember the guy that posted on a forum about how to get free license by falsely claiming to be military. I had a conversation with an OK warden once about a man he investigated for an illegal deer that he had posted a picture of. There apparently was no record of him having a license or something like that. In the end the guy got in trouble not for taking the deer, but for causing the investigation in the first place. The whole story was made up as a way to impress his friends on his hunting ability. People do some stupid things.

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: Kenneth1977] #5271770 08/25/14 11:57 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Ramball36
Just call your local game warden and ask him, I'm betting he won't say 'it's kind of bad but not'....

If i get time later today i will i have a family member that is a GW and i dont think it is illegal it does not state it anywhere in the book that you cant do that in those words does it ? I am not 100 % sure anyhow people are going to do it either way .

Get it on video so we can see his facial expression

scared I know it is wrong to do what the guy was asking but i was just trying to see what the response would be but to the above post about getting a limit and going back thats where i say if you can shoot a two person limit in the same setting and the other person is there and hunting why is there such a stink about it . It is just like some that i know do on deer they will have one of there son's or wife or daughter tags with them and have a note wrote by them and if he shoots a deer calls them and tells them where it was shot what time and all the facts so if something happens and the GW checks him it should be all good , i am not saying it is right or legal btu there sometimes when laws just dont make much sense.

"Some that I know"

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5272785 08/26/14 03:25 PM
L
luisfigo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: Hunt2Fish] #5272816 08/26/14 03:39 PM
J
Jobst Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Hunt2Fish

I may be wrong but a game warden (from my understanding) has more authority than the police. They don't need permission to come on your land, they don't need permission to search your residence etc. All they need is probable cause which could be they "think" you have a feather in your house that is illegal. Point being they can still go in your house without your consent, find feathers in the trash, and determine you poached (even if you claim they were from yesterday). They have all authority cause of the federal laws.

I may be mistaken and someone correct me if I am wrong that is just what I always was told about a game wardens authority given the federal laws surrounding migratory birds.

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: Hubbs] #5272819 08/26/14 03:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Hubbs

In some areas you could actually take three limits.

Provided you hunt in Texas and neighboring states and have valid license for each.

I could see this if you lived near Texarkana. For example, you could hunt the morning in Arkansas, then a noon hunt in Louisiana and finally an evening shoot in Texas.

You still have state and federal procession limits

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: Kenneth1977] #5272823 08/26/14 03:44 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Just call your local game warden and ask him, I'm betting he won't say 'it's kind of bad but not'....

If i get time later today i will i have a family member that is a GW and i dont think it is illegal it does not state it anywhere in the book that you cant do that in those words does it ? I am not 100 % sure anyhow people are going to do it either way .

Get it on video so we can see his facial expression

Rule #8

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5272824 08/26/14 03:44 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
You are right, he is wrong.
If he wants to be hard headed about it I'd just keep my mouth shut and let him go hunt. Maybe he'll get a ticket or two.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5272842 08/26/14 03:55 PM
J
Jobst Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
All i could hear was "You might be a redneck"

Slip of the Tongue
A Real County game warden was talking to a hunter in a store parking lot about a nice buck in the bed of the hunter’s pickup truck when the hunter admitted that his buddy shot it, but he put his tag on it. The hunter, realizing what he just told the game warden said, “I guess I’m in trouble now.” Cases pending.

LOL

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5272848 08/26/14 03:59 PM
J
Jobst Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
So based on the theory that it is "ok" since I have a wife and 3 kids, if I buy each a license, hand a shotgun and a chair my limit is 75 birds? Not to mention the money I saved on the 3 youth licenses?

Ugh I've been doing it wrong this whole time!!!! IDIOT!

flag

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5272876 08/26/14 04:15 PM
F
fil-e Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
People try to rationalize their wrong behavior. One way to rationalize is to get other people to say it's OK - or that they have done it too. Even if it's blatantly illegal, as long as I can find people to endorse it, then I'm OK.

Not long ago one of the cities around here posted a reminder on Facebook about leash laws. It was followed by several pages of comments and hateful arguments about why "my dog is different" and "my dog just loves people" and "my dog really needs to run free every day for its sanity". Basically people justifying and arguing that the LAW should not/did not apply to them.

Last edited by phil-e; 08/26/14 04:18 PM.
Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: fil-e] #5272880 08/26/14 04:18 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Very simple. Why do you need more that 15 birds a day? Isn't that generous enough? confused2

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5272899 08/26/14 04:25 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K

Get it on video so we can see his facial expression [/quote]
scared I know it is wrong to do what the guy was asking but i was just trying to see what the response would be but to the above post about getting a limit and going back thats where i say if you can shoot a two person limit in the same setting and the other person is there and hunting why is there such a stink about it . It is just like some that i know do on deer they will have one of there son's or wife or daughter tags with them and have a note wrote by them and if he shoots a deer calls them and tells them where it was shot what time and all the facts so if something happens and the GW checks him it should be all good , i am not saying it is right or legal btu there sometimes when laws just dont make much sense. [/quote]

Rule #8 [/quote]
stirI am just messing with ya'll good lord , yes i have know friends in the past that have done what mentioned and thats why the are no longer friends of mine because they are not good people to be around.It would be nice if they would up the limit on dove even though i dont hunt them anymore there are tons at our place and seems like i never really here are see that many hunting .

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: Kenneth1977] #5272909 08/26/14 04:30 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
stirI am just messing with ya'll good lord

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: LarryCopper] #5272917 08/26/14 04:32 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
stirI am just messing with ya'll good lord

Great now i want some mudd bugs

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: Jobst] #5272940 08/26/14 04:43 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Jobst
So based on the theory that it is "ok" since I have a wife and 3 kids, if I buy each a license, hand a shotgun and a chair my limit is 75 birds? Not to mention the money I saved on the 3 youth licenses?

Ugh I've been doing it wrong this whole time!!!! IDIOT!

flag

Collectively those purposely cheating or blatantly breaking the regs reflects poorly on all of us. When they did the 3 year undercover investigation on the coast in the late 1980s, 92% of hunts had violations. Some included hunting under the license of another that we have been discussing here. It was related to guides, but 137 of the 210 charged where hunters from 6 states. And I am sure most of those charged had thought it was "ok" since they had paid for something, or because they did not believe in the regulation they were breaking, or because they thought at the time they could get away with it. Too, I am sure a few charged with something minor had no intent, or did not know they were doing anything wrong by following a guide's direction and just got caught up in the investigation. In fact I doubt there is a hunter on this forum that has never broken a hunting related law or regulation even though they may not know it, including me, but 1300 violations or 92% of hunts is crazy.
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/12/14/us/210...o-poaching.html

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5273106 08/26/14 06:03 PM
S
sling Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I hadn't thought about it, but I bet we all know someone that shoots a limit in the morning and in the evening if they good spots on opening day. I don't shoot enough limits to consider that an option personally....but I'm pretty sure they've done it that way for years. Pretty tough to police it unless they were to get checked in the morning and then again in the evening with more birds....since you have time to go home and process them and come back out. It just goes to show that a lot of our regs are on the honor system as much as anything. Yeah the wardens bust a few people here and there but it's mostly on us to do the right things with the resources.

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5273149 08/26/14 06:23 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
yawn

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: beaversnipe] #5273563 08/26/14 10:35 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
yawn

Well, I think that tells us who at least one person is that shoots double limits. whip

Re: Help me settle an argument [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #5273581 08/26/14 10:43 PM
H
Hogman4127 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
One of the guides on the coast was charged and lost his license for several years becasue he didnt report what was going on.

Once the charges were filed everyone started talking, the main sentences used.. "everybody was doing it" & "have yall talked to so and so he shot over his limit also".

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide