Print Thread
Predator calling at night?? #5265529 08/21/14 06:21 PM
M
Mark Conner Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
I've always heard how effective it can be, but not legal here in AR. I've been gathering up a little equipment to try it. Any comments, tips, wise cracks, or opinions? Thanks

Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: Mark Conner] #5265593 08/21/14 06:50 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
FLIR RS32 on an AR-15 in 300 blk out is hard to beat at night. See them coming before into range.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: Mark Conner] #5265650 08/21/14 07:25 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I began calling predators at night with an old tape recorder and spotlight back in the 70's. Calls and lights are all upgraded now, Foxpro digital, gun mounted LED red and green lights, etc. I have one of the ATN X-Sights pre-ordered, if they ever ship and do what they say they will do, I guess I will have a fire sale on spotlights and varmint lights. I can and do still hunt at night with lights. Work the wind, be patient and persistent and if you are in an area that holds predators, you will achieve success.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: Mark Conner] #5265671 08/21/14 07:45 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Since its illegal I would start by getting a police scanner that way you'll know when the game warden is in route. Then I would go thermal so you don't have to use a light to be seen by the game warden. Then an old poacher trick is to call the game warden pose as a resident in the opposite side of the county you will be in and say you've seen some spot lighters in the area and he needs to come out as soon as possible, this will allow a little time behind the scope before he gets back to your side of the county also load some dogs barking call on your foxpro so if anybody starts looking for ya or hearing the sound just do the dogs barking sound and they will usually assume its dogs and forget it and finally get a radiator cap with the pressure release on it this way if you have to run in the truck you can pull over pop the hood take the cap off sit it down on the radiator like you would if its over heated and then hide in the bushes real fast and when people drive by they will assume you had truck trouble and are not the ones hunting. Now all this is things I've heard of so if you get caught don't get mad at me or you could come on over to Texas and just do it legally.

Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: Mark Conner] #5265773 08/21/14 08:51 PM
B
bradyf Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Thanks cmc good to know!

Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: Mark Conner] #5265849 08/21/14 09:35 PM
M
Mark Conner Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Lol cmc- thanks. I've got an invite to East TX for some beaver work and will have my TX license, so am gonna try to call some. All I have right now is an old, but like new tape player, 4 or 5 tapes, and a bright light, but if I get in to it-I'll get me some new toys! The old caller was a gift. It works on crows! Lol.

Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: Mark Conner] #5266373 08/22/14 02:44 AM
R
Ronnie Oneal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Bright light might hurt you. Get you a dimmer for your light. Scan with it on dim then brighten it up once the animal is commited and coming. Just my 2cents

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQa5cwBGes6Kp0cGQOj2Brw

NIGHT CREW TV on YouTube ☝️☝️☝️

https://m.facebook.com/nightcrewfans/

NIGHT CREW TV Facebook☝️☝️☝️
Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: Mark Conner] #5266454 08/22/14 03:33 AM
M
Mark Conner Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Thanks Ronnie. I respect people who say what they think. That's why I asked-because I know I don't know. One of my favorite movie quotes came from the series "Alias Smith and Jones". I don't remember it all-but the last of it was. Heyes made the statement about the kid. "He does have one solid virtue-he will listen!" I like to think that is how I am!

Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: Mark Conner] #5266565 08/22/14 09:38 AM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Actually I do a ton of night calling and I would say the number one thing I see when taking out new people is the dark gives them some kind of false security like they can't see the animal so it can't see them. Here's what I tell them, if you wouldn't do it in the day don't do it in the dark. When the light is not on a critters eyes he can see you. You can't be moving all around and making noise. Keep the light shining don't turn it off and keep it on the critter when he shows. It don't have to be right in his eyes, use the halo to show the eyes as long as that light is pointed at him he can't see you but as soon as you move it or he gets to where its not hitting him he will see the truck. This is not as important if your just on the ground and not in a vehicle. Just remember that just because you can't see in the dark doesn't mean they can't and wind wind wind as always. Its a good time when successful but can be a beating when not, so do everything you can to be successful.

Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: Bar-D] #5267094 08/22/14 06:43 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: bar-d
I began calling predators at night with an old tape recorder and spotlight back in the 70's.

This makes me chuckle. You were high tech with a tape recorder. I started with a record player that plugged into the cigarette lighter. Had a long cord on it and speakers with long wires so you could sit them out. The recording was complete with all the added "noise" vinyl records produced. You had to start the record over and over.

It did work to some degree. We killed quite a few yotes coming to it. cheers

Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: dfwroadkill] #5267274 08/22/14 09:09 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Originally Posted By: bar-d
I began calling predators at night with an old tape recorder and spotlight back in the 70's.

This makes me chuckle. You were high tech with a tape recorder. I started with a record player that plugged into the cigarette lighter. Had a long cord on it and speakers with long wires so you could sit them out. The recording was complete with all the added "noise" vinyl records produced. You had to start the record over and over.

It did work to some degree. We killed quite a few yotes coming to it. cheers

I don't feel quite as old now, thanks!

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: Mark Conner] #5267909 08/23/14 05:19 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Nothing better than night calling, you got some good info here. Pay attention to the wind

Big Beckett!!
Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: Mark Conner] #5268214 08/23/14 03:14 PM
M
Mark Conner Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Thanks guys. Looking forward to trying it.

Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: cmc] #5268848 08/24/14 01:34 AM
P
PWT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: cmc
Since its illegal I would start by getting a police scanner that way you'll know when the game warden is in route. Then I would go thermal so you don't have to use a light to be seen by the game warden. Then an old poacher trick is to call the game warden pose as a resident in the opposite side of the county you will be in and say you've seen some spot lighters in the area and he needs to come out as soon as possible, this will allow a little time behind the scope before he gets back to your side of the county also load some dogs barking call on your foxpro so if anybody starts looking for ya or hearing the sound just do the dogs barking sound and they will usually assume its dogs and forget it and finally get a radiator cap with the pressure release on it this way if you have to run in the truck you can pull over pop the hood take the cap off sit it down on the radiator like you would if its over heated and then hide in the bushes real fast and when people drive by they will assume you had truck trouble and are not the ones hunting. Now all this is things I've heard of so if you get caught don't get mad at me or you could come on over to Texas and just do it legally.

rofl clap

Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: cmc] #5269590 08/24/14 07:27 PM
D
DesertHunting Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: cmc
Actually I do a ton of night calling and I would say the number one thing I see when taking out new people is the dark gives them some kind of false security like they can't see the animal so it can't see them. Here's what I tell them, if you wouldn't do it in the day don't do it in the dark. When the light is not on a critters eyes he can see you. You can't be moving all around and making noise. Keep the light shining don't turn it off and keep it on the critter when he shows. It don't have to be right in his eyes, use the halo to show the eyes as long as that light is pointed at him he can't see you but as soon as you move it or he gets to where its not hitting him he will see the truck. This is not as important if your just on the ground and not in a vehicle. Just remember that just because you can't see in the dark doesn't mean they can't and wind wind wind as always. Its a good time when successful but can be a beating when not, so do everything you can to be successful.

If you're going to call at night, pay attention to what cmc said. The only things I would add is 1) while scanning keep your light pointed up at an angle to catch the eye shine. Using the halo like cmc said. Doing it this way you don't need a dimmer IMHO 2) once you're on the critter keep the light as still as possible. It's not the movement of the light that bothers them, but the movement of the shadows from the light that turns most animals.

IMHO, day time calling has produced better results. The playing field is more level. You can see them usually before they see you. Just brush up, keep your movement to a minimum, and wind, wind, wind. You have to remember you're up against animals that make their living in the dark without thermal or fancy gadgets.

Most of all, just enjoy it!

Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: Mark Conner] #5270238 08/25/14 02:03 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
I have learned to call by messing with my dog at home. I called one in last night from about 100 yards away by putting my fingertips in my mouth and making a squeaking sound

Big Beckett!!
Re: Predator calling at night?? [Re: Ramsey] #5270430 08/25/14 03:43 AM
D
DesertHunting Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Ramsey
I have learned to call by messing with my dog at home. I called one in last night from about 100 yards away by putting my fingertips in my mouth and making a squeaking sound

Did that to my daughters cat...drove her crazy...the cat and daughter. grin

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide