Page 1 of 2 1 2
What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 #5264806 08/21/14 04:42 AM
W
wisco-hunter Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
I got my first night vision scope and went hunting last weekend...it was awesome! Now I'm sold so are there any suggestions/experiences with an additional ir illuminator on a n750? Also I read some reviews does anybody use a doubler for an n750 that works for short and long range shots without shimming up the scope??? Thanks!

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5264942 08/21/14 12:19 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Depending on your budget and use I would rate these as your top three options in NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

Time tested and proven durability track record, german engineered, above average performance - TNVC Torch Pro

Best performing, user modes for power output, versatile and lightweight - Ultimate Night Vision UNV20IR

Above average performance, well built, affordable if you fabricate your own mount - Sreamlight TAC/IR

This video demonstrates use of all the above, granted it isn't on a Digisight N750 but the results are the same across digital technology.

HTXH

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5264950 08/21/14 12:24 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I own all 3. UNV 20 IR hands down.

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5265045 08/21/14 01:26 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Sorry forgot about your question on the doubler setup:

If you seek the absolute best option I would do with Daniel Pinto's design, he is in Portugal I believe but his email is in the youtube description box. Here is his video of the installation.

What makes his adaptor different is that it attaches to the Pulsar's native lens for perfect optical centering.

If Pinto can't sell you a Pulsar lens (export or unanavailable) you can get with Bearclaw here on the forum once you have Pintos kit and see if the lens works (fitament).

Again this isn't the quickest and easiest doubler kit but you won't need shims nor will recoil disturb your lens orientation.

Note: you also will have to consider the install semi-permanent, no taking the lens on and off so based on your hunting setup keep that in mind.

HTXH

Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 08/21/14 01:27 PM.
Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5265160 08/21/14 02:25 PM
C
cyberpyrot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted by HuntTXhogs

If you seek the absolute best option I would do with Daniel Pinto's design, he is in Portugal I believe but his email is in the youtube description box. Here is his video of the installation.

What makes his adaptor different is that it attaches to the Pulsar's native lens for perfect optical centering.

If Pinto can't sell you a Pulsar lens (export or unanavailable) you can get with Bearclaw here on the forum once you have Pintos kit and see if the lens works (fitament).

Again this isn't the quickest and easiest doubler kit but you won't need shims nor will recoil disturb your lens orientation.

Note: you also will have to consider the install semi-permanent, no taking the lens on and off so based on your hunting setup keep that in mind.

HTXH

That is the same one I am selling in the trade section I did need shims as the POI was just out side of the maximum range of the rectical.

I'm a terrible shot but I follow up with a grenade!
Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: cyberpyrot] #5265233 08/21/14 03:12 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot

HTXH

That is the same one I am selling in the trade section I did need shims as the POI was just out side of the maximum range of the rectical.

Cyberpyrot -

Lets take a step back for a moment -

DHPinto and DR Bob aren't the same people or product. The ebay link you posted on your classified ad, url=http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5252968/Re:_Pulsar_N750_with_Pulsar_1.#Post5252968]Your classified post w link to Ebay[/url] is that where you actually bought the doubler from or are you posting that for illustration purposes of the doubler?

Dr Bobs kit doesn't require any attachment to the pulsars native lense, it has 4 grub screws that secure into the digisights plastic bell housing to hold it into place.

DHPinto doesn't attach to the bell housing whatsoever and if you are saying that you had to shim it that indicates a problem either with alignment of your digisights native lens OR the adapter isn't true, i base this on his design and not having encountered previous reports of shims needed for his doubler.

If you have a DHpinto kit did you contact him to let him know of the issue and did he say to use shims.

Another possible issue, that Ebay link says doubler for n550/n750/n770 but I believe the n770 has a different bellhousing than the n750 so maybe there is two different sytles of his doubler and you got the wrong one???

Thanks for the info, trying to help here on this one.

HTXH

Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 08/21/14 03:17 PM.
Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5265268 08/21/14 03:29 PM
C
cyberpyrot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot

HTXH

Cyberpyrot -

Lets take a step back for a moment -

DHPinto and DR Bob aren't the same people or product. The ebay link you posted on your classified ad, url=http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5252968/Re:_Pulsar_N750_with_Pulsar_1.#Post5252968]Your classified post w link to Ebay[/url] is that where you actually bought the doubler from or are you posting that for illustration purposes of the doubler?

Dr Bobs kit doesn't require any attachment to the pulsars native lense, it has 4 grub screws that secure into the digisights plastic bell housing to hold it into place.

DHPinto doesn't attach to the bell housing whatsoever and if you are saying that you had to shim it that indicates a problem either with alignment of your digisights native lens OR the adapter isn't true, i base this on his design and not having encountered previous reports of shims needed for his doubler.

If you have a DHpinto kit did you contact him to let him know of the issue and did he say to use shims.

Another possible issue, that Ebay link says doubler for n550/n750/n770 but I believe the n770 has a different bellhousing than the n750 so maybe there is two different sytles of his doubler and you got the wrong one???

Thanks for the info, trying to help here on this one.

HTXH

the one I have installs exactly like the video you posted.. it is quite possible I installed it wrong. I have is mounted on a 6.8 stag and the pulsat was at the edge of the zone for my rifle so it is possible it might only affect my rifle needing shims.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5265282 08/21/14 03:40 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I hadn't heard of this with these products either. He said his digital adjustment had reached its limit. If that is the case and assumiing the scope were properly mounted, the only thing I know of left is shimming.

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5265296 08/21/14 03:49 PM
C
cyberpyrot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
i did remove the scope to put the doubler on so it is possible some thing may have got under the pictanny rail causing the scope to point high. I never tried readjusting it as I figured I did not really need the doubler I ordered the atn X-site 5X18 for longer shots outside 100 yards. once I removed the doubler I was able to sight it in again as normal.. I do know how to sight it in..

Last edited by cyberpyrot; 08/21/14 03:52 PM.

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5265316 08/21/14 03:57 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Hey Wisco-hunter,

These doubler systems aren't 100% full proof - the Digisight with a solid external illuminator should be good out to 250 yards.

If you are inclined to do the doubler also know that it cuts down on your light intake for the digital sensor which somewhat offsets the distance you can shoot at, in other words you increase your magnification but decrease your ability to pickup the IR light.

I would say the theorethical limit of a double digisight is right at 350 yards +/- 50 yards based on other conditions.

Here is a video of a doubled up digisight n750 and you'll notice that the second hay bale (right at 400 yards) can be recognized but ID of target, if say it were a deer vs hog, starts to become an issue even for a doubled unit. The IR used on that night was a super powerful IR light similar to those listed above.

Boar was taken out at 260 yards

HTXH

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5265339 08/21/14 04:08 PM
C
cyberpyrot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Well I tell you what if it was user error I will be willing to send to you to try it if it works for you toss me a bill and its yours if not ship it back.

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5265386 08/21/14 04:48 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Can't beat that... up

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5265532 08/21/14 06:22 PM
F
firemed13 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
I use the TNVC torch pro with my 750 and it works awesome.

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5265697 08/21/14 08:04 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
The Streamlight is cool, but eats CR123s awfully quick.

The TNVC Torch Pro is to the N750 onboard illuminator what UNV's UNV20IR is to the Torch Pro. (I have all these)

Where the TNVC shines is that it can focus its beam more which can be more useful in heavier brush, however, if you need concentrated light, then you need a laser illuminator such as a Luna Optics ELIR. These kick butt for distance over everything else. They run about twice as much and if any dirt or oil gets in the lens, it casts a shadow on the beam that is really annoying.

Now, for the difference in price between the Streamlight and Torch Pro or UNV20IR, you could buy a lot of batteries. Note that TNVC suggests ONLY using CR123s for their lights as well. HOWEVER, the UNV20IR takes 18650 rechargeables instead and runs longer on a charge than a set of CR123s in the other lights. In the long run, the UNV20IR is less expensive to run.

Overall, the most useful light for the N750 is the UNV20IR IMHO. If you only hunt a few times a year, then you can get away with spending less and getting the Streamlight.

I would not buy another TNVC Torch Pro. It was good for what it was, but technology has passed it by.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5266089 08/22/14 12:06 AM
W
wisco-hunter Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
Thanks guys, great info, I think I'm going to stay away from the doubler but try the unv20ir! I really appreciate the feedback

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5266169 08/22/14 12:56 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
cheers

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5267292 08/22/14 09:19 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I had forgotten how much trouble I had with my first doubler attempt, granted this was my fault for epozying the adapter in before checking for true alignment but the point is when things appear to be level the shift in POI can be dramatic.

So initial design of the doubler is critical to minimizing the POI shift. Lots of variables.

I wouldn't recommend modifying the newer digisights in this way.

HTXH

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5267417 08/22/14 10:39 PM
C
cyberpyrot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I had forgotten how much trouble I had with my first doubler attempt, granted this was my fault for epozying the adapter in before checking for true alignment but the point is when things appear to be level the shift in POI can be dramatic.

So initial design of the doubler is critical to minimizing the POI shift. Lots of variables.

I wouldn't recommend modifying the newer digisights in this way.

HTXH

That's exactly what was happening to me the poi was 2 feet low.

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5271190 08/25/14 06:43 PM
T
TNVC-Victor Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
The Streamlight is cool, but eats CR123s awfully quick.

The TNVC Torch Pro is to the N750 onboard illuminator what UNV's UNV20IR is to the Torch Pro. (I have all these)

Where the TNVC shines is that it can focus its beam more which can be more useful in heavier brush, however, if you need concentrated light, then you need a laser illuminator such as a Luna Optics ELIR. These kick butt for distance over everything else. They run about twice as much and if any dirt or oil gets in the lens, it casts a shadow on the beam that is really annoying.

Now, for the difference in price between the Streamlight and Torch Pro or UNV20IR, you could buy a lot of batteries. Note that TNVC suggests ONLY using CR123s for their lights as well. HOWEVER, the UNV20IR takes 18650 rechargeables instead and runs longer on a charge than a set of CR123s in the other lights. In the long run, the UNV20IR is less expensive to run.

Overall, the most useful light for the N750 is the UNV20IR IMHO. If you only hunt a few times a year, then you can get away with spending less and getting the Streamlight.

I would not buy another TNVC Torch Pro. It was good for what it was, but technology has passed it by.

I get it, you and a few others are friends of UNV and to say technology passed the Torch Pro by? Really? Because we say not to use rechards and we now have a 10 hour continuous use is somehow bad? We do not use rechards for many reasons and one of them is the voltage fluctuations that can and do occur with rechards along with they do not do well in extreme heat at times. Not saying their all bad, and the Torch Pro cannot use them, we'd rather take the caution side especially when folks think 40 hours of continuous use in a PVS-14 is not long enough for Alk. batts and they want to place rechards in the 3K device. :-(

Let's also talk about our Torch Pro that is still the most universal system out there for use with all Surefire Tape Switches, Clicky Tailcaps etc. that are the highest US made quality switches out there. We also offer a head only Torch Pro option for folks who want to save a few bucks using a currently owned SF body housing. Once again, technology passing it by? I would beg to differ in a big way and so would many others.

We've now sold thousands and Torch Pro's and they are still our #1 seller for a reason. That other light you mention (yes we have tested it too) and it's parts mostly made in South Africa and anyone can have their label stuck to it. Same unit is also sold through Hi-Tech Redneck over on Predator Masters a good re-seller. We know, we've (well I anyhow) have just been approached too to have our label on the same product (in fact they wanted to offer us a better price than the others), but we'd rather engineer our lights in house to control all aspects of the QA that goes into the Torch Pro and the versatility that has made this unit a great seller to many over the years.

For others, there is also a new IR product about to hit the shelves very soon, many have asked for...We think the community will really embrace this one. More to come on this one.

Vic

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5271334 08/25/14 08:12 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Naw Victor, I have the Torch Pro and it is pretty weak by comparison to the UNV20IR. The TP was good when it came out, but it is inferior to the UNV20IR in performance. That is the bottom line. The TP just isn't the top dog anymore in performance.

What your sales are is not relevant to performance. How long the batteries last in a PVS-14 isn't relevant either, LOL. That you have some other product that may come out in the future also is not relevant to a comparison between the TP and UNV20IR, but you know that already.

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: TNVC-Victor] #5271426 08/25/14 08:55 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: TNVC-Victor
That other light you mention (yes we have tested it too) and it's parts mostly made in South Africa and anyone can have their label stuck to it. Same unit is also sold through Hi-Tech Redneck over on Predator Masters a good re-seller.
Vic

This is absolutely 100% false. They are not the same product or the same parts. Period.

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 08/25/14 08:56 PM.
Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5271533 08/25/14 09:47 PM
T
TNVC-Victor Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I knew the "friends" would be out in force. You last quote dfwroadkill on the ARFCOM forum about our friends "attached at the hip"? Our customers speak for themselves and we have numerous praises for the Torch Pro and it's versatility for what it does.

So where are the parts made up of this device? It appears the head (bezel markings) are identical to the ones I see others offer. I also guess the OEM was lying about the other units he makes for these other 2 companies.

As for WEAK in comparison, it seems there is a comparison right here on this thread, and did not see anything weak about anything with the Torch Pro, but you supposedly know that too. Did you even know Torch had a head only option and is compatible with all the SF caps and switches? I do not have to use the words "Top Dog" knock yourself out, I get it what you're doing. We all do.

Also, the point about the PVS-14 is many others want to use rechards in these devices and it not worth the chance due to what rechards can do, but you'd rather not hear education on some risks associated with rechards...I get that too.
Vic

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: wisco-hunter] #5271588 08/25/14 10:20 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Again with the PVS-14? LOL, NOT RELEVANT.
Quote:

Did you even know Torch had a head only option and is compatible with all the SF caps and switches? I do not have to use the words "Top Dog" knock yourself out, I get it what you're doing. We all do.

Good, then you realize I am speaking from experience as the owner of a Pulsar N750 who also owns a TP and and UNV20IR and the UNV20IR is the better illumination choice.

But hey, you are here to make a profit, I am not.

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: dfwroadkill] #5271689 08/25/14 11:14 PM
T
TNVC-Victor Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
That other light you mention (yes we have tested it too) and it's parts mostly made in South Africa and anyone can have their label stuck to it. Same unit is also sold through Hi-Tech Redneck over on Predator Masters a good re-seller.
Vic

This is absolutely 100% false. They are not the same product or the same parts. Period.

Really? The body housings are identical (take a look at their web sites) and we got the same PM from the OEM asking us if we wanted to offer it for a lower price...

Re: What is the best IR illuminator for the pulsar n750 [Re: TNVC-Victor] #5272094 08/26/14 02:33 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Yes, really Victor. How much do you want to wager they are different lights? You spouted off, back it up.

So where are the parts made up of this device?.

Well, well, if you were certain they were the same light you would already know this answer.

It appears the head (bezel markings) are identical to the ones I see others offer.

Careful, appearance can be deceiving...

I also guess the OEM was lying about the other units he makes for these other 2 companies.

No, absolutely not. The OEM was prolly telling the truth. It's just that UNV wasn't one of those companies. You are wrong Victor, accept it.

You see, you just have such a bent for UNV or anyone that enjoys doing business with them, this is the only color you can see. Vile and vitriol, bullying. It is quite sad actually to see a vendor run from forum to forum whining about other vendors and members that don't agree with him...or for God's sake, like another companies product better than yours.. Choice is fine, and we are allowed our opinion as to which product we prefer. I don't work for you or UNV, but I own both products. This is a forum, I can offer my experience. We all see that you don't want those voices heard...

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide