Print Thread
Tips on Axis hunt #5248904 08/12/14 02:40 PM
K
kusai Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Going this weekend. Any tips and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: kusai] #5248923 08/12/14 02:51 PM
T
texaspirate Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Go Spot and stalk if you can They are roaring out there right now in the heat of the axis rut Remember the boys are blinded by desire and doe madness but the does are watching.. Might have to try two or three approaches... Take a nice shooting stick too

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: texaspirate] #5248981 08/12/14 03:22 PM
C
Chief Joe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: texaspirate
Go Spot and stalk if you can They are roaring out there right now in the heat of the axis rut Remember the boys are blinded by desire and doe madness but the does are watching.. Might have to try two or three approaches... Take a nice shooting stick too

X2 I sure envy you! Good luck and post lots of photos!

"It is the same boiling water that softens the rice, which hardens the egg." It's not always about the circumstances, but what you are made of....
Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: kusai] #5249403 08/12/14 07:07 PM
K
kusai Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Thanks guys, I will probably be alone with my truck. Plus the land is 25 to 30 acres, not sure if I should take .223 or .308 ?

Last edited by kusai; 08/12/14 07:17 PM.
Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: kusai] #5249427 08/12/14 07:18 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: kusai
Thanks guys, I will probably be alone with my truck. Plus the land is 25 to 30 acres, not sure if I should take .223 or .308 ?

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: kusai] #5249429 08/12/14 07:20 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
If it is that small you just better find a place to sit. You start walking around they will be gone.

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: kusai] #5249441 08/12/14 07:27 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Not if it's high fenced. stir

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: don k] #5249473 08/12/14 07:46 PM
K
kusai Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Originally Posted By: don k
If it is that small you just better find a place to sit. You start walking around they will be gone.

Thats what I plan to do, if i dont find a good spot then just part the truck and lay low in truck bed aim

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: kusai] #5249749 08/12/14 10:28 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Is there water near? They will drink twice a day in this heat.

Where about are you hunting? Wouldn't be Comfort would it?

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: John Humbert] #5249802 08/12/14 11:06 PM
K
kusai Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Is there water near? They will drink twice a day in this heat.

Where about are you hunting? Wouldn't be Comfort would it?

Rocksprings, and there is no water as far as I know.

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: kusai] #5249890 08/13/14 12:08 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Shoot em in the neck.

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: kusai] #5249915 08/13/14 12:28 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Take a BIG ice chest, skin and quartered ASAP Best game meat out there

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: Buzzsaw] #5250081 08/13/14 02:03 AM
K
kusai Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

I got 3 days and 2 Axis to take, and its 5 hours drive from my location. LOL

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: Chief Joe] #5250135 08/13/14 02:26 AM
S
Skylar Mac Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
Originally Posted By: texaspirate

X2 I sure envy you! Good luck and post lots of photos!

X 's 3.

You can entice stags by using primos Hoxie mana view call, but if you do, only do half press. All you need is a small bark.

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: kusai] #5250253 08/13/14 03:35 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: kusai
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

I got 3 days and 2 Axis to take, and its 5 hours drive from my location. LOL
I hear ya brother. My Hunting Club is going Forister Exotics in Rocksprings. We live in Houston. We're also looking for axis, but other possibilities as well.

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: kusai] #5251133 08/13/14 06:54 PM
N
newulmboy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I own a couple hundred acres North of Rocksprings. A few things Ive learned over the years are:

Axis are very clever and frighten easily.
They follow creek bottoms, and draws a majority of the time.
Ive killed 10 or so in the past few years, a .243 w/ a 100 grain Core-Lok is plenty of gun and bullet.
If you see one, you better be quick. They wont give you much time for a shot.
Bring a BIG cooler, or multiple ones.

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: kusai] #5252133 08/14/14 03:35 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
In this heat, I like to have 2 big coolers, one full of ice the other ready for the meat. Even if the ice has melted a lot in the one cooler the cold water run through a field dressed deer cavity can cool the meat off quick. The quarter and ice down as soon as you can. Axis are some of the best tasting critters.

Good luck on the hunt

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: kusai] #5253648 08/14/14 11:19 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
GOOD IDEA !! /\

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: newulmboy] #5253689 08/14/14 11:48 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: newulmboy
I own a couple hundred acres North of Rocksprings. A few things Ive learned over the years are:

Ive killed 10 or so in the past few years, a .243 w/ a 100 grain Core-Lok is plenty of gun and bullet.
Where do you shoot them?

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: kusai] #5254163 08/15/14 03:17 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I am an axis nut. I'm convinced they are WAY more cautious than the average whitetail. They can see better, smell better, and are very smart.

They typically travel in groups and coordinate their watches for danger. You may have 10 sets of eyes and ears looking out for danger.

On LF free range places, at least where I hunt them, they have some specific behaviors. Very often, they use a sacrificial doe - especially when crossing open areas. The group will pause on the edge, and send a young doe out first. This doe will get anywhere from 50-200 yards out there before others from the group begin to cross. The lead doe stops, keeps watch, while a second group of does and spikes cross, more or less in single file. The larger and dominant bucks wait back and usually are the last to cross.

When they stop to feed, almost always they have a few that don't feed and keep watch. They switch off, always with a few sentries.

If you know there are big bucks in the herd, when you see a doe or line of does/spike moving - wait for them to pass and the bigger boys will bring up the rear. And be ready, because those big boys won't give you much time.

They also tend to move around more when feeding than whitetail. Constantly shuffling position. More than once I've had a big group of 1 or 2 dozen appear, stop to feed, and they move around so much that I never get a clean shot - only to watch them all run off together.

Where I hunt, it is also not uncommon for single animals to hang and follow with a lone turkey or hog. They use the hog or turkey as a decoy or advance scout. If the pig or turkey doesn't get spooked, then they follow out and show themselves.

And unlike WT, if they chirp a alarm call or run off - they won't be back. While a WT may spook off, stop, then come back. Or retreat to the brush, only to return 30 minutes later - when an axis leaves - he won't be back that day.

It may be different in HF, but the LF places I hunt - my axis don't follow a daily pattern. I see the same whitetail as daily visitors, but the axis follow more of a 2-3 day schedule. If an axis comes by one morning, chances are I won't see him again for a couple of day. And if I do, it's not in the same place.

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: chital_shikari] #5254910 08/15/14 04:46 PM
N
newulmboy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
Originally Posted By: newulmboy

Where do you shoot them?

Neck or head. Usually the neck though. Most of my shots are under 150 yards.

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: John Humbert] #5254916 08/15/14 04:49 PM
N
newulmboy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I am an axis nut. I'm convinced they are WAY more cautious than the average whitetail. They can see better, smell better, and are very smart.

They typically travel in groups and coordinate their watches for danger. You may have 10 sets of eyes and ears looking out for danger.

On LF free range places, at least where I hunt them, they have some specific behaviors. Very often, they use a sacrificial doe - especially when crossing open areas. The group will pause on the edge, and send a young doe out first. This doe will get anywhere from 50-200 yards out there before others from the group begin to cross. The lead doe stops, keeps watch, while a second group of does and spikes cross, more or less in single file. The larger and dominant bucks wait back and usually are the last to cross.

When they stop to feed, almost always they have a few that don't feed and keep watch. They switch off, always with a few sentries.

If you know there are big bucks in the herd, when you see a doe or line of does/spike moving - wait for them to pass and the bigger boys will bring up the rear. And be ready, because those big boys won't give you much time.

They also tend to move around more when feeding than whitetail. Constantly shuffling position. More than once I've had a big group of 1 or 2 dozen appear, stop to feed, and they move around so much that I never get a clean shot - only to watch them all run off together.

Where I hunt, it is also not uncommon for single animals to hang and follow with a lone turkey or hog. They use the hog or turkey as a decoy or advance scout. If the pig or turkey doesn't get spooked, then they follow out and show themselves.

And unlike WT, if they chirp a alarm call or run off - they won't be back. While a WT may spook off, stop, then come back. Or retreat to the brush, only to return 30 minutes later - when an axis leaves - he won't be back that day.

It may be different in HF, but the LF places I hunt - my axis don't follow a daily pattern. I see the same whitetail as daily visitors, but the axis follow more of a 2-3 day schedule. If an axis comes by one morning, chances are I won't see him again for a couple of day. And if I do, it's not in the same place.

Couldnt have said it better. Great post.

Re: Tips on Axis hunt [Re: John Humbert] #5258239 08/17/14 08:39 PM
K
kusai Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K

Pretty much summed up very well. I went on friday morning and stayed there till sunday noon(just got back). Just saw 1 really small doe and didn't take it. Never saw her again or any other Axis. I wanna go back again, any suggestions ?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide