Print Thread
tree stand set up? #5244850 08/10/14 06:19 AM
F
foodieguy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
How should I set up the tree stand in relation to the feeder? First time setting up a hang on.

Do you set it up so your back is right against the tree and your feeder is directly in front of you? Let's call that 12 o'clock on the tree.

Or do you hang it kind of on the side of the tree quartering away from the feeder, around 2 or 3 o'clock?

I'm not sure what kind of allowance I need to make to account for having enough room to fully draw back if seated. It seems like hanging it on the side would give you a more natural shot to the feeder area for a RH hunter. Just wondered if I am over thinking this.

I know I need to account for background cover to break up the outline and set up for wind.

Adult late onset hunter. Why did I wait so long to get started?
Re: tree stand set up? [Re: foodieguy] #5244859 08/10/14 06:46 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I would position so that I could cover the most area where I would expect to shoot at a deer. They aren't always gonna stand right at the feeder. A lot of times they skirt around it. I would want to be able to shoot at feeder and trails they use into the feeder. S 12 o'clock may be the best bet just depends on the setup you have and direction the deer come from. Im no expert on this I hunt from a ground blind bu thats what I would do. Good luck.

Re: tree stand set up? [Re: foodieguy] #5244945 08/10/14 12:05 PM
N
Nolan Outdoors Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
I always set up at a right angle, like you said 3 o-clock. You are playing the odds regarding where the deer are going to stand when you shoot em. Not many of us can face a target and draw a bow. Don't forget, hand corn can be your best friend, even when hunting a feeder.

Oklahoma NWTF State Board
Field Staff
Black Eagle Arrows
Grim Reaper Broadheads
Owner of Hang 'em High Game Calls
www.nolanoutdoors.com
[Linked Image]

Re: tree stand set up? [Re: Nolan Outdoors] #5244988 08/10/14 01:01 PM
B
bjankowski Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Nolan Outdoors
I always set up at a right angle, like you said 3 o-clock. You are playing the odds regarding where the deer are going to stand when you shoot em. Not many of us can face a target and draw a bow. Don't forget, hand corn can be your best friend, even when hunting a feeder.

Can't add nothing to that; I agree 100%.

Re: tree stand set up? [Re: bjankowski] #5245024 08/10/14 01:29 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: bjankowski
Originally Posted By: Nolan Outdoors

Can't add nothing to that; I agree 100%.

One other thing, if I can on initial setup if there is a natural obstacle/obstruction that prevents the deer from approaching from one direction I setup on that side if possible. That way I am less apt to have deer approaching from the right.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: tree stand set up? [Re: foodieguy] #5245153 08/10/14 02:56 PM
N
Nolan Outdoors Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Quote:
One other thing, if I can on initial setup if there is a natural obstacle/obstruction that prevents the deer from approaching from one direction I setup on that side if possible. That way I am less apt to have deer approaching from the right.

Good thought here. I have been know to cut down a tree to two to funnel deer the way I wanted them to approach. If your going to cut trees I recommend doing it early, as in NOW for October hunting.

Oklahoma NWTF State Board
Field Staff
Black Eagle Arrows
Grim Reaper Broadheads
Owner of Hang 'em High Game Calls
www.nolanoutdoors.com
[Linked Image]

Re: tree stand set up? [Re: Nolan Outdoors] #5245205 08/10/14 03:32 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Depending on where you hunt, like me, our east Tx bucks very seldom come to a feeder during shooting light. I will hunt 40 to 75 yds away from a feeder. Seen too many times a good buck will skirt around a feeder set up. That's where hand corn works great.

Re: tree stand set up? [Re: foodieguy] #5245360 08/10/14 05:08 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
If I have leave/branches as cover I set off to the side of the tree. If not I want the tree behind me to break up my silhouette. I can turn slightly on the seat to make the shot.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: tree stand set up? [Re: foodieguy] #5254832 08/15/14 04:03 PM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Here is what I have learned over the years:

1. Set it up to a feeder from INSIDE the staging area if possible - this gives you a chance to shoot at the feeder OR bucks staging before dusk. This is a good AFTERNOON setup. Even if you just set up to a feeder, try to hang your stand on a second row of trees NOT on a tree with nothing between it and the feeder. Yes, you will have to cut shooting lanes.

2. I am left handed. I always hang my stands at the 4 o'clock position on the tree relative to the feeder.

3. Hang the stands 25' high or even up to 30'. You can get away with a lot more movement and scent control is easier.

4. Try to hang the stand within a lot of branches for better cover.

5. ALWAYS use fall protection. The best is the "Lifeline" type where you are continuously tied off to a rope with a prosaic knot.

6. If you leave your stands up all year, change out the nylon ratchet straps at least every other year.

7. This is by far my favorite way to hunt. I love sitting high up in a tree waiting for the sun to come up or watching it go down with lots of animals right below me.

Last edited by millerliteliker; 08/15/14 04:04 PM.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide