Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: Dodge_Rock] #5238997 08/06/14 10:18 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Dodge_Rock
Originally Posted By: dj0dbu
I've researched both. KBB says chevrolet. Edmunds says ram. motor trend says ram. car and driver says chevrolet. At the end of the day I like them both. I'm not a chevy or ford or ram guy. I want the best truck. The reason I'm looking at these two exclusively is they both come in the crew cab with a full size (6 1/2) bed. Ford and tundra only have a short bed in the 1500. I want a crew cab 1500 4x4 standard bed. City truck meets hunting truck. Any opinions on the silverado or ram? I appreciate the feedback.

My guess is that gm pays kbb & fiat pays edmunds. Wouldn't believe either.
I've owned both. Put 145k miles on the Chevy when the lifters failed ruining the camshaft - $$$$ repair. Transfer case had been acting up but still worked. Both front power window motors failed as well. It had the 5.3L engine. It would pull a trailer w/atv, but you could feel it. Now have a Ram w/5.7hemi and you can't tell when towing- the engine is much stronger. 50k+ miles, so far, so good.

Wrong! The reviews each write are independent of any money's spent! There has to be integrity and the manufacturers know and understand this! Without integrity both of these sites have nothing! I know because I work in the industry! These two sites build their $$$ based on consumers being able to trust the information!

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: Deerhunter61] #5239025 08/06/14 10:26 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Originally Posted By: Dodge_Rock
Originally Posted By: dj0dbu
I've researched both. KBB says chevrolet. Edmunds says ram. motor trend says ram. car and driver says chevrolet. At the end of the day I like them both. I'm not a chevy or ford or ram guy. I want the best truck. The reason I'm looking at these two exclusively is they both come in the crew cab with a full size (6 1/2) bed. Ford and tundra only have a short bed in the 1500. I want a crew cab 1500 4x4 standard bed. City truck meets hunting truck. Any opinions on the silverado or ram? I appreciate the feedback.

My guess is that gm pays kbb & fiat pays edmunds. Wouldn't believe either.
I've owned both. Put 145k miles on the Chevy when the lifters failed ruining the camshaft - $$$$ repair. Transfer case had been acting up but still worked. Both front power window motors failed as well. It had the 5.3L engine. It would pull a trailer w/atv, but you could feel it. Now have a Ram w/5.7hemi and you can't tell when towing- the engine is much stronger. 50k+ miles, so far, so good.

Wrong! The reviews each write are independent of any money's spent! There has to be integrity and the manufacturers know and understand this! Without integrity both of these sites have nothing! I know because I work in the industry! These two sites build their $$$ based on consumers being able to trust the information!

And I drive a Ford, always have and always will. The one I have now has been in the shop more than all my others combined! They all make lemons! But on the whole I'll take Ford! There's a reason they are the number 1 selling vehicle in America!

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: HOU Razorback] #5239283 08/07/14 12:38 AM
H
Hollerpoint Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted By: HOU Razorback
Originally Posted By: Hollerpoint
My '14 silverado is outstanding, all the recalls completed in the time of a standard oil change. Haven't seen a Ford yet with the smooth ride of the Chevy and the Ecoboost certainly doesn't get the 21 mpg like my z71. The v8 fords are held up at 16 mpg ,tops,like they have been for years. I've had both brands and these are conclusions.

Mine does. I can even get 22 out of my ecoboost on flat ground. Also, my dad's 5.0 V8 is averaging 20-21. All that and no recalls.

Wow. You better keep those, they are the only two in existence getting that kind of mileage.

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: Hollerpoint] #5239911 08/07/14 12:39 PM
H
HOU Razorback Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
My '14 silverado is outstanding, all the recalls completed in the time of a standard oil change. Haven't seen a Ford yet with the smooth ride of the Chevy and the Ecoboost certainly doesn't get the 21 mpg like my z71. The v8 fords are held up at 16 mpg ,tops,like they have been for years. I've had both brands and these are conclusions.

Mine does. I can even get 22 out of my ecoboost on flat ground. Also, my dad's 5.0 V8 is averaging 20-21. All that and no recalls.

Wow. You better keep those, they are the only two in existence getting that kind of mileage.

I guess you haven't had a Ford in the last 3-4 years, judging by your complete lack of knowledge on the subject of Ford engine fuel economy.

I've also had both brands, last Chevy was a 2009 5.3, which I loved. However, it averaged 18. 16 in the city and 20 on the highway. My Ecoboost is 18+ in the city and 20-21 on the highway, 22 if its flat with no major headwind.

On the issue of ride quality, again, you must have not driven one of the newer Fords. Chevy did have the best right hands down, but the new Fords ride just as nice.

Dad's 5.0:

My Ecoboost (mine is city driving in Houston traffic)

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: Turkeyman] #5239914 08/07/14 12:45 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Turkeyman
Just got on and noticed the 45 hp increase questions using the Volant CAI Kit. Now nobody gets that kind of increase using a kit alone! It's more like 13 to 20 depending on how the truck is set up. I failed to mention that I also have a super chip install and when both of my units got check that the results were "PUSHING" 440 on my 2011 6.2Ltr and "PUSHING" 400 on the 2014 5.3 Ltr. Sorry for the confusion that's my bad.

P.S. I still smoked the Dodges, and Ford's that were dumb enough to loose their money. Toyota's were smart enough not to try.

Cold air intake does nothing it's just good cash scam for companies , any factory air intake is better for the engine because that's what it was tested with and got the best flow from.
If you want to make power then you have to put the parts where it counts !

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: Kenneth1977] #5240495 08/07/14 05:54 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977
Originally Posted By: Turkeyman
Just got on and noticed the 45 hp increase questions using the Volant CAI Kit. Now nobody gets that kind of increase using a kit alone! It's more like 13 to 20 depending on how the truck is set up. I failed to mention that I also have a super chip install and when both of my units got check that the results were "PUSHING" 440 on my 2011 6.2Ltr and "PUSHING" 400 on the 2014 5.3 Ltr. Sorry for the confusion that's my bad.

P.S. I still smoked the Dodges, and Ford's that were dumb enough to loose their money. Toyota's were smart enough not to try.

Cold air intake does nothing it's just good cash scam for companies , any factory air intake is better for the engine because that's what it was tested with and got the best flow from.
If you want to make power then you have to put the parts where it counts !

That's not exactly true. While his numbers are exaggerated, dyno results have proven that they can add a few horsepower to certain vehicles. For example, Toyota runs the intake that they do for emissions and sound levels. Some aftermarket intakes do not improve this, and some even make it worse. But simple modifications to the stock air box can and do yield positive results, especially when paired with a less restrictive muffler.

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: HOU Razorback] #5240511 08/07/14 06:04 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

I guess you haven't had a Ford in the last 3-4 years, judging by your complete lack of knowledge on the subject of Ford engine fuel economy.

I've also had both brands, last Chevy was a 2009 5.3, which I loved. However, it averaged 18. 16 in the city and 20 on the highway. My Ecoboost is 18+ in the city and 20-21 on the highway, 22 if its flat with no major headwind.

On the issue of ride quality, again, you must have not driven one of the newer Fords. Chevy did have the best right hands down, but the new Fords ride just as nice.

Dad's 5.0:

My Ecoboost (mine is city driving in Houston traffic)

Don't really know if you have or not, but based on posting pics of the readout im going to guess not. Check it the old fashioned way with a calculator and divide miles on trip by gallons to fill tank... my bet is your calculator and your truck computer do not agree. and if you don't you know which one is right up

The one on my ford has been up to 5 miles per gallon off, my chevy about the same and the one on my dodge diesel was almost 10 mpg off from time to time. These vehicles range from 2010 to 2014 so they weren't old clunkers either.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: redchevy] #5240526 08/07/14 06:16 PM
H
HOU Razorback Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: redchevy
[quote=Hollerpoint]My '14 silverado is outstanding, all the recalls completed in the time of a standard oil change. Haven't seen a Ford yet with the smooth ride of the Chevy and the Ecoboost certainly doesn't get the 21 mpg like my z71. The v8 fords are held up at 16 mpg ,tops,like they have been for years. I've had both brands and these are conclusions.

Don't really know if you have or not, but based on posting pics of the readout im going to guess not. Check it the old fashioned way with a calculator and divide miles on trip by gallons to fill tank... my bet is your calculator and your truck computer do not agree. and if you don't you know which one is right up

The one on my ford has been up to 5 miles per gallon off, my chevy about the same and the one on my dodge diesel was almost 10 mpg off from time to time. These vehicles range from 2010 to 2014 so they weren't old clunkers either.

Nope, I've done it both ways. I posted pictures because anyone can come say that my truck gets XX MPGs. I posted pictures as little more tangible proof. Mine is within 0.2 to 0.6 of hand calc and truck meter. My dad's truck is 2WD, but mine is 4x4. I've seen many people get that out of a 5.0 2WD. Even if his is off my 2-3 MPGs, its much more than Hollerpoint was claiming and I'm assuming he's never owned either engine. 5.4 V8, I'd agree with him on, but the Ecoboost and 5.0 are so much better than the old Ford V8s.

My truck meter is now up to 18.7 on the readout, just made it up there three days ago, so when I fill up again, I'm going to crunch the numbers.

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: Kenneth1977] #5245091 08/10/14 02:15 PM
T
Turkeyman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Go back to school and learn something!!!!!

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: dj0dbu] #5250322 08/13/14 04:29 AM
C
cowboyway Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I never thought I would buy a Ram 1500, but I did last week. It has the V6 ecodiesel engine 4x4 and I can say that it is the nicest truck I have ever seen. Absolutely incredible. I still cant believe I'm saying that about a Ram.

I'm averaging 27mpg city and highway. If I do 65 on the hwy,it is showing 34 mpg. I just hit 335 miles and ive used exactly a half tank of fuel. All this plus I get 25ftlbs of torque more than my 5.4 liter f150. Absolutely amazing.

The rest of the truck makers are missing the boat on this one. In 5 years they will all be offering diesels in half ton trucks. It is a perfect combination.

Last edited by cowboyway; 08/13/14 04:30 AM.
Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: cowboyway] #5250599 08/13/14 01:52 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: cowboyway
I never thought I would buy a Ram 1500, but I did last week. It has the V6 ecodiesel engine 4x4 and I can say that it is the nicest truck I have ever seen. Absolutely incredible. I still cant believe I'm saying that about a Ram.

I'm averaging 27mpg city and highway. If I do 65 on the hwy,it is showing 34 mpg. I just hit 335 miles and ive used exactly a half tank of fuel. All this plus I get 25ftlbs of torque more than my 5.4 liter f150. Absolutely amazing.

The rest of the truck makers are missing the boat on this one. In 5 years they will all be offering diesels in half ton trucks. It is a perfect combination.

Keep us posted on how it turns out for you. Ive looked at a few. They are on my list but want to wait for GM to bring out their Colorado/canyon v-6 d-max ive read it might be rated to 33 mpg hwy with 6k towing.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: dj0dbu] #5250681 08/13/14 02:39 PM
D
dj0dbu Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
I purchased the chevy yesterday. They're putting in the spray in bed liner right now, and detailing it. I'll pick it up this afternoon. I looked at the ram again, and the Ford. The Ford just wasn't working out for me. I went to two dealerships. One time the salesman knew less about the truck than me, and the other it was an 18 year old kid who kept telling me how fast they go. Ford never stood a chance based on it's sales people. The ram I really really liked. For me it was basically flipping a quarter. I help run a youth baseball organization and one of the local Chevy dealerships are quality people, and donate a significant amount to our league every year. Therefore, when I felt equally good about the chevy and the ram I went with the Chevy because of the relationship I had with the dealer. But coming from a family that's not brand specific I can't say anything bad about all 3. Ford lost because of people. Ram didn't lose, but chevy won because of people.

The final truck is a Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 addition (there is a 4x4 without z71, but I wanted the skid plates and off road suspension for the ranch).

It's black with the tan leather interior. The LTZ had more bells and whistles than I wanted/needed, but by the time I got the LT where I wanted it, the LTZ was within $800. So I went for it, and got the LTZ. I love the truck. I'll post pictures of it tomorrow after I pick it up today.

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: dj0dbu] #5250866 08/13/14 04:36 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
What did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?
I might be in the market soon for a new truck

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: redchevy] #5252062 08/14/14 03:06 AM
C
cowboyway Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Keep us posted on how it turns out for you. Ive looked at a few. They are on my list but want to wait for GM to bring out their Colorado/canyon v-6 d-max ive read it might be rated to 33 mpg hwy with 6k towing.

I will. I have read on some ecodeisel forums that it takes about 1000 miles to break in and then you can pick up 1-2 mpg from what I'm getting now. Like I said, I have no allegiance to any brand and I've had ford, chevy, Nissan and Toyota and this thing just crushes them all in terms of fit and finish thus far.

If I have one complaint, I just learned it today.... The turning radius on U turns is pretty weak. Figured that out the hard way a few hours ago making a uturn to get to an Arby's. Lol.

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: HOU Razorback] #5252326 08/14/14 11:04 AM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V

Nope, I've done it both ways. I posted pictures because anyone can come say that my truck gets XX MPGs. I posted pictures as little more tangible proof. Mine is within 0.2 to 0.6 of hand calc and truck meter. My dad's truck is 2WD, but mine is 4x4. I've seen many people get that out of a 5.0 2WD. Even if his is off my 2-3 MPGs, its much more than Hollerpoint was claiming and I'm assuming he's never owned either engine. 5.4 V8, I'd agree with him on, but the Ecoboost and 5.0 are so much better than the old Ford V8s.

My truck meter is now up to 18.7 on the readout, just made it up there three days ago, so when I fill up again, I'm going to crunch the numbers.

just remember to reset mpg calculator when you fill up, becuase it just averages out from the last time it was reset . it will average out 3 or 10 tanks of gas depending when it was last reset and that could include pulling a trailer sitting idle etc. my new 5.0 can see up to 24mpg on the highway but on average including city, idling with a/c etc is 18.8. those calculators are spot on if you reset at fill up and calculate manually that tank of gas

Last edited by vanguard; 08/14/14 11:07 AM.

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: dj0dbu] #5252350 08/14/14 12:03 PM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I like my new Chevy. It had recalls but it was all computer stuff that took no time to fix. That being said if they put out a 1/2 ton diesel this one is gone!

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: dj0dbu] #5255801 08/16/14 12:22 AM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Ram isn't in the ballpark with any of the other major brands. Don't be fooled.

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: dj0dbu] #5256837 08/16/14 07:59 PM
P
PonchoMike Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
I love my 14' Silverado LTZ 4x4. Super quiet, great ride, and very good fuel economy. I consistently get 20 MPG on the highway! With all the bells and whistles I don't think I would be happy with any other truck.

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: dj0dbu] #5272705 08/26/14 02:36 PM
T
Turkeyman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Great choice I love my Z71

Re: 2014 silverado vs. 2014 ram [Re: Jasb] #5305902 09/14/14 04:22 PM
H
Hollerpoint Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted By: Jasb
I like my new Chevy. It had recalls but it was all computer stuff that took no time to fix. That being said if they put out a 1/2 ton diesel this one is gone!

What tires you got on there? How much leveling kit?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide