Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Bad Call? #5234247 08/04/14 03:35 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
While out hunting this last weekend, I came across a rattler. This snake was gorgeous, was in about the 3.5 - 4 ft range in size.

I got out of the vehicle, took a good long look and a pic for the kiddos. Then I noticed he's not making a sound. I have already been advised the rattlers where I am hunting are doing what they are doing everywhere else they are having a pig problem. They are being quiet. I even went as far as tossing some pebbles at his head to see if he would. He stayed dead quiet.

Now this time I decided the snake was too pretty to kill. But I keep thinking about this: When the rattler is quiet, even when I'm messing with it purposely to get it to rattle, should this automatically put it on the hit list?

I don't think the snakes out here have an overwhelming population, and I was advised that it's up to my discretion on whether or not to kill them. On one hand, I didn't feel it was hurting anything at the time. On the other, I feel because it had alot of potential to do so being that quiet, maybe I should have.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Last edited by Nakraik; 08/04/14 03:48 PM.

Shot my first turkey today...Scared the crap out of everyone in the frozen food section, it was awesome!
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234263 08/04/14 03:46 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
A dead rattler is better than a live rattler....I guess I am not very broadminded.

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234269 08/04/14 03:50 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I would have killed it, on my property we kill every snake we see. Not really a big deal that you let him go.

Stay safe!

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234281 08/04/14 03:57 PM
338ultra Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
i would have killed it

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr223/jaschancey/RightSide-1.jpg
See Rule 17: Sig pics to be no more than 600 pixels wide x 125 pixels tall.
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234381 08/04/14 05:07 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
From the Snake's point of view:

While out sunning this last weekend and not bothering anyone, a hunter crossed my path. This hunter was a pretty good size, and in about the 5.5 - 6 ft range.

I didn't pay too much attention, just took a good long look. Then I noticed he's not making a sound. I don't rattle anymore because I've found out that rattling can be hazardous to a snakes health when pigs are around. We are now being quiet, but then he even went as far as tossing some pebbles at my head to see if I would get excited. I stayed dead quiet, even though my first instinct was to move. My second instinct was to bite since I'm not bothering anyone. I'm not in a barn, the yard, or on the front porch, I was just sunning myself & minding my own business.

I finally decided the hunter wasn't worth messing with. But I keep thinking about this: When the hunter is bothering me by throwing rocks at me when I'm minding my own business, should this automatically put it on the hit list?

I don't think the hunters out here have an overwhelming population, and I was advised that it's up to my discretion as to whether or not to bite them. On one hand, I didn't feel it was hurting anything at the time. On the other, I feel because it had alot of potential to do so by throwing rocks, maybe I should have.

loser8

Last edited by Hunt n Fish; 08/04/14 05:33 PM.

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234396 08/04/14 05:16 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Let them go, they eat rats.

Rats are far more likely to pose a health risk than a snake.

Outstanding reply HnF.

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Hunt n Fish] #5234399 08/04/14 05:17 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish

While out sunning this last weekend and not bothering anyone, I a hunter crossed my path. This hunter was a pretty good size, and in about the 5.5 - 6 ft range.

I didn't pay too much attention, just took a good long look. Then I noticed he's not making a sound. I don't rattle anymore because I've found out that rattling can be hazardous to a snakes health when pigs are around. We are now being quiet, but then he even went as far as tossing some pebbles at my head to see if I would get excited. I stayed dead quiet, even though my first instinct was to move. My second instinct was to bite since I'm not bothering anyone. I'm not in a barn, the yard, or on the front porch, I was just sunning myself & minding my own business.

I finally decided the hunter wasn't worth messing with. But I keep thinking about this: When the hunter is bothering me by throwing rocks at me when I'm minding my own business, should this automatically put it on the hit list?

I don't think the hunters out here have an overwhelming population, and I was advised that it's up to my discretion as to whether or not to bite them. On one hand, I didn't feel it was hurting anything at the time. On the other, I feel because it had alot of potential to do so by throwing rocks, maybe I should have.

loser8

flehan

If they aren't in camp, around a blind or feeder, most snakes (and hunters) get a pass from me.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234413 08/04/14 05:24 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Great response HnF!

Venomous snakes rarely get a pass from me. And one that didn't rattle would have been immediately snuffed. I've had too many close calls, and need all the warning I can get.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234425 08/04/14 05:32 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I'd like to be nice guy here BUT he would have been a dead snake if I saw him and would have been dinner

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234437 08/04/14 05:44 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I don't believe rattlers don't rattle because of hogs.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Bad Call? [Re: redchevy] #5234453 08/04/14 05:52 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
I'd like to be nice guy here BUT he would have been a dead snake if I saw him and would have been dinner

....at least you plan on doing something with it! Hat band, belt, dinner - OK!

Originally Posted By: redchevy

FWIW - I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but I think it's being looked at as a step up the evolutionary ladder. Brings up the question of whether a snake can have a "learned" response.

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234495 08/04/14 06:19 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Don't over think simple things in life. Whether you had killed him or not is going to have little to no effect on this world. I would have killed him just to eat him. I let the small ones go so I can kill them when they're bigger.

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Sneaky] #5234524 08/04/14 06:32 PM
10pointdoe Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
choot'em

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234573 08/04/14 07:12 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
With my nine and six-year-olds running around, that's a dead snake.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234587 08/04/14 07:18 PM
T
TexasLandAgent Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Family land and leases I've hunted over the years have always had lots of youngsters running around. We were programmed to shoot venemous snakes on sight, regardless of where they lay. On a rock a mile from the barn today, under the porch a step away from striking someone tommorrow. Dead snake = good snake.

Re: Bad Call? [Re: redchevy] #5234645 08/04/14 07:49 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

I don't either. I hunt a place with no hogs and some rattle, some don't. Some are aggressive, some are passive.

I catch em, play with em and let em go. I have killed a few in the past but most get a pass. Don't blame people for killing them, just don't see the need unless they are around the house or camp, and then I relocate most the time.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234663 08/04/14 07:59 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Sometimes snakes wont rattle for various reasons, cool weather, just fed, or just shed. If they are lethargic, they will take more provocation. I have caught 100's from dens on the Brazos river and other places, some get pizzed, just because your there and some come out of the hole between your legs and don't even say "hello".

As far as rattlers go, if I find one around the house or in a bad area, I will relocate it. Most snakes get that treatment but 2 where I live, Copperheads and Diamondback water snakes = instant trip to the morgue.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Hunt n Fish] #5234771 08/04/14 08:58 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

While out sunning this last weekend and not bothering anyone, a hunter crossed my path. This hunter was a pretty good size, and in about the 5.5 - 6 ft range.

loser8
popcorn it's called culling : confused2: still haven't figured that one out yet flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234775 08/04/14 09:01 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
I will say I am partial to snakes. I've had a few as pets, starting with a type of red-tail boa that is now illegal to own. Got it as a hatchling and had it for quite some time. I've had other rand wild and store bought since as well.

My big concern here was what others have mentioned, and probably why I was so torn on the decision after the fact: my kids. I bring them with me pretty frequently. Thoughts of one of my children stepping on, and then getting bit by a silent rattler are what filled me with doubts about letting it live.

When I see the mixed answers here, it also makes me realize that I can kill every one I see if I want, but ultimately, I'm not going to be able to reduce their numbers low enough that I don't have to worry about it. Nor would I want to. I think I'll just work with the kiddos more on safety, do the obvious thing I should have done already, and make them wear guards if they are going to come tromping around with me.

I guess this means I'm going to have to lead by example and wear my guards more often though. Ugh. Damn things hold in enough heat to cook an egg on.

Shot my first turkey today...Scared the crap out of everyone in the frozen food section, it was awesome!
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234805 08/04/14 09:20 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Nakraik

I guess this means I'm going to have to lead by example and wear my guards more often though. Ugh. Damn things hold in enough heat to cook an egg on.

Snake boots are an alternative, and also more comfortable and more convenient, as well as good protection against grass burrs, cactus, and other thorny stuff.

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5234840 08/04/14 09:40 PM
N
Nakraik Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Size 14 Double wide. I'll look, but I have my doubts about finding them. I can barely strap the snake guards I have on, I have the straps let out all the way and still a very tight fit.

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5235093 08/04/14 11:55 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
That snakes don't rattle because of hogs is a MYTH. In Arizona, it is claimed they don't rattle because ranchers will kill them. The fact of the matter is that rattlesnakes do not always rattle. They never have. Just because they can rattle does not mean that they will rattle.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Bad Call? [Re: Hunt n Fish] #5235100 08/04/14 11:57 PM
D
DesertHunting Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: landsurveyor

....at least you plan on doing something with it! Hat band, belt, dinner - OK!

FWIW - I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but I think it's being looked at as a step up the evolutionary ladder. Brings up the question of whether a snake can have a "learned" response.

I don't think it's the e-ladder or learned. Each snake just has it's own personality. I've seen some that start rattling when you are still ten yards or more away and others that don't make a sound even if you're about to step on them.

Think Sneaky and...ah...well nobody around hear is all that quiet peep
grin

Re: Bad Call? [Re: Nakraik] #5235176 08/05/14 12:34 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
You'll never convince me that a snake has the learning capacity to figure these things out. Maybe it's a genetic trait and the ones that rattle are being weeded out. I don't know, but I really don't think they aren't rattling because they saw their buddy get shot.

Re: Bad Call? [Re: redchevy] #5235395 08/05/14 01:55 AM
R
Rock Rancher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R

I don't either. "Genetic memory" and snakes teaching their young seems pretty far-fetched to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide