Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Opinions on the Nature Blinds - Hideout #5222268 07/28/14 04:07 PM
Curtis Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Not trying to plug the guys...

But I'm thinking of getting some of these to set up for some of my axis hunts in the creek. I think they will work great to get into some areas where it just takes too long to set up a pop up blind and camo it in. These look like they will fit in= with my post oaks, mesquite, liveoaks, yopaun, and hackberry, very well.

It's two pieces with three shooting ports. I talked to the guy and he said you can cut the holes out bigger with a saws-all and just repaint it when done. They look like a better fit next to a tree than a pop up does with its box shape. And it can take hours to set up a pop up really well and leave it for days before hunting it. I think these may work out better. I'm just wondering how customers would feel about it. They may like it over a box style pop up blind or box blind. It would certainly be a lot cooler for my summer axis hunts. I think if you can set these up with a good brush background they will blend very nice.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Opinions on the Nature Blinds - Hideout [Re: Curtis] #5222813 07/28/14 09:40 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
For what I charge for hunting I would never be able to pay one off. They are nice though.

Re: Opinions on the Nature Blinds - Hideout [Re: Curtis] #5222856 07/28/14 10:03 PM
Curtis Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Well, I would be getting one through their outfitter program. These would not be something I leave out all the time. They look like something that would be easier to set up than a pop up ground blind and would fit into the surroundings easier.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: Opinions on the Nature Blinds - Hideout [Re: Curtis] #5222927 07/28/14 10:42 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Those are very cool. For the cost I think I'd rather go with the Krivoman blind and brush it in.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 07/28/14 10:51 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Opinions on the Nature Blinds - Hideout [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5223828 07/29/14 01:34 PM
Curtis Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Those are very cool. For the cost I think I'd rather go with the Krivoman blind and brush it in.

I don't want to mess with brushing in a blind every time my animals move. These are light enough to carry in by one person and set up. These would fit in nice inside some of these spots in just a minute or less and not require as much to brush in. The Krivoman blinds are nice, but not what I'm looking for as far as ease of set-up and to do it quietly with as little detection as possible. I think if my pop up blinds are not working well enough when I have them brushed in, the Kriovman isn't going to be any better. It would last longer than a pop up but that is about it. That's a good thing, but its not everything that I need. I still the mobility that these would give me over that style or a box style blind or pop up hub style blind.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: Opinions on the Nature Blinds - Hideout [Re: Curtis] #5224027 07/29/14 03:44 PM
R
redseal Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
They look like they would work great put some netting over the top to not let too much light in and you should be set. That is if the top is open which it looks like. But if you put it under a thick tree you wouldn't have to worry bout that.

Re: Opinions on the Nature Blinds - Hideout [Re: Curtis] #5224106 07/29/14 04:18 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Curtis

I don't want to mess with brushing in a blind every time my animals move. These are light enough to carry in by one person and set up. These would fit in nice inside some of these spots in just a minute or less and not require as much to brush in. The Krivoman blinds are nice, but not what I'm looking for as far as ease of set-up and to do it quietly with as little detection as possible. I think if my pop up blinds are not working well enough when I have them brushed in, the Kriovman isn't going to be any better. It would last longer than a pop up but that is about it. That's a good thing, but its not everything that I need. I still the mobility that these would give me over that style or a box style blind or pop up hub style blind.

I see your point. I guess it depends on what species your hunting and how weary they are. I don't have exotics to hunt so for me it's gonna be mature white tail bucks. My belief from experience is even though these look like a big dead tree trunk, if you place one in bow range that is still a new part of the landscape that they aren't use to and would be skittish around if you just set it out and tried to bow hunt from it. I like the krivoman because you can leave it out year round and I'm convinced that's what you need to do to get mature WT to not be skittish with it when in bow range. I can brush one of these in in about five minutes by cutting about 6 branches, bundle them at the branch bases and droop them from the top of the krivoman.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Opinions on the Nature Blinds - Hideout [Re: Curtis] #5224285 07/29/14 05:50 PM
Curtis Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
On my place they are wary. We have hunts year around. My axis are born and raised here and smart. Its hard to not have wary axis when you hunt year around. Im constantly trying a new path or idea.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: Opinions on the Nature Blinds - Hideout [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5224520 07/29/14 08:07 PM
Curtis Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Curtis

I see your point. I guess it depends on what species your hunting and how weary they are. I don't have exotics to hunt so for me it's gonna be mature white tail bucks. My belief from experience is even though these look like a big dead tree trunk, if you place one in bow range that is still a new part of the landscape that they aren't use to and would be skittish around if you just set it out and tried to bow hunt from it. I like the krivoman because you can leave it out year round and I'm convinced that's what you need to do to get mature WT to not be skittish with it when in bow range. I can brush one of these in in about five minutes by cutting about 6 branches, bundle them at the branch bases and droop them from the top of the krivoman.

I agree with you 100% on wary game. It's just that at this business with all the hunting you have to do, game will routinely change accordingly. They don't have a a seven month break. Not all of the exotics are as wary, but axis can be very much like old WT bucks and go nocturnal. Fallow can do the same. I have one that has been here 7 years that has been management and each time I get a hunter that is interested in taking him, his habits change. I hope that this year will be the last one for him. I have some nice custom made 6x6 ground blinds made to fix that kind of problem. And with something like these I can get into some of the creek bed areas where I can't get with the ATV or truck, and get in and out quick and quiet to make the set up on trails to water or feeders.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: Opinions on the Nature Blinds - Hideout [Re: Curtis] #5224872 07/29/14 11:26 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I think they will work great backed up into a cedar or something like that but I would say that any animal passing from the side or back could spot you and with you being back lit from the top and back side they could see movement through the holes. Two 2 piece making a full circle would be better especially, if like pointed out earlier, you could camo net/cover the top to minimize light penetration.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Opinions on the Nature Blinds - Hideout [Re: Curtis] #5225007 07/30/14 12:33 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Curtis, the past year and half I have a BIG fan creating "hides" on the spot, especially for axis - who can get PhD type smart in a hurry.

Find an ambush point, then create a little hide using natural foliage and a camp chair. Back up in cedar, in a depression. Heck we've even finned gillie suits and sat out in the middle of a field. A little section of camo burlap, etc. and you can create a hide that is virtually impossible to spot - while you are much more out in the open. In fact, the biggest problem we have is finding them again early the next morning. Learned the hard way to hang a plastic strip or cloth so you aren't stumbling around in the dark saying "dammit, I know it has to be right here somewhere!"

Axis can quickly pick out ANYTHING man made - so unless your property has 5ft wide trees with windows - they are going to spot them right away.

Contrary, I've had axis walk right past my hides within a few feet / if the wind is right.

Alternately, we use a popup that has mesh front with "leafy" outside covering. Has lots more breakup that a regular popup.

This hide is down in a little depression, and the overhanging tree up front completely conceals you. I had deer and axis walk right in front of the overhang 15 ft in front of me on two separate occasions.

Re: Opinions on the Nature Blinds - Hideout [Re: Curtis] #5225024 07/30/14 12:41 AM
J
JROD Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I think theyd work. My biggest concern would be shadows and weather. I would think youd have to cover the top up to reduce the shadows. If under a tree the shadows would move back and forth in the wind. Cool idea though.

Re: Opinions on the Nature Blinds - Hideout [Re: JROD] #5225637 07/30/14 12:07 PM
Curtis Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: JROD
I think theyd work. My biggest concern would be shadows and weather. I would think youd have to cover the top up to reduce the shadows. If under a tree the shadows would move back and forth in the wind. Cool idea though.

I'm thinking of using some dark burlap material that I have and I can put it over the top. If it's cold weather, my axis change and go to feeder more often and they are easier in the winter. The problem is I don't have as many hard antler in the winter so my hunting is not conducted at that time. And I have your nice blinds that you made me too, which will fit for that purpose! smile I still need portability inside that creek. Quite and quick and as little room for detection for an up close hunt is hard to accomplish. I'm looking to just add a few more tricks than the pop ups. I feel that if I know I can already conceal a hunter well enough in yopoun and oaks and mesquite to get within those 20 to 30 yards. But the problem is they don't have enough concealment to move to draw. If they are still and quite and the wind is right it works very well. These spaces are too small for a 5x5 pop up to fit into and you don't want to damage or remove brush around the area that is natural.

And I'm getting some great compliments on the blinds you made, by the way. One axis, a ram, and two blackbuck doe have been taken from it so far, all bow.

Last edited by Curtis; 07/30/14 12:25 PM.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide