Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? #5222519 07/28/14 07:03 PM
S
StoneyLarue13 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Howdy,

So, I'm a long-time East Texas and Central Texas hunter. Through work, I'm making a lot of connections in the RGV and Laredo. Partially out of curiosity and partially in case a connection ever results in a hunting opportunity, I was wanting a little hunting info on each location.

How much do leases usually run?
What critters besides deer do you run into?
I know "South Texas" deer hunting is supposed to be great--does that extend to the RGV? Up to Laredo?
How are your personal experiences with hunting around either of these places.

I'm just curious and want to hear what the TFF crew has to say about hunting around these places. I've never met hunters from either. Thanks, y'all.

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: StoneyLarue13] #5222546 07/28/14 07:15 PM
E
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I hunted the Rio Grand city and La Gloria area for years HARD and not many good bucks come from that area other than serious management places....I cant speak for Laredo area but seems that a lot of good bucks come from that area...We had a biologist in that area (RIO) do a review of my friend 2000k acre ranch and the soil levels we just extremely poor..Even now 10 years later after clearing alot of open areas they are still struggling to get a good herd.....Most 10pts were basket and not much mass...BUT I will say the quail,blues and bobs and dove were off the charts hunting...It was great javalina and predator hunting as well...

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: easton1025] #5222775 07/28/14 09:18 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: easton1025
I hunted the Rio Grand city and La Gloria area for years HARD and not many good bucks come from that area other than serious management places....I cant speak for Laredo area but seems that a lot of good bucks come from that area...We had a biologist in that area (RIO) do a review of my friend 2000k acre ranch and the soil levels we just extremely poor..Even now 10 years later after clearing alot of open areas they are still struggling to get a good herd.....Most 10pts were basket and not much mass...BUT I will say the quail,blues and bobs and dove were off the charts hunting...It was great javalina and predator hunting as well...

I got on a lease near Rio Grande City in 2001, was a big mistake. Never saw a deer and almost everything I had there got stolen. Known quite a few who've hunted closer to Laredo and killed big deer. Every property is different, I just got on a crappy lease with crappy people.

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: StoneyLarue13] #5222842 07/28/14 09:55 PM
S
Southtexas36 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I've been in Laredo for the last 34 years, all on one ranch, but have had the chance to hunt numerous ranches throughout the years in Webb Co. A lot of big acreage in our area, hard to find a small lease that is not asking top dollar and shot out. On the well managed places they'll sell you a spot for a good bit, probably $10k or more, but they'll have opportunity at good deer. Our place manufactures just some good solid S Tx deer, lots of character, with the occasional high scoring animal.

You'll see the typical S Tx animals, deer, bobcats, yotes, a few turkey here or there in creek bottoms, and quail. Doves hunting is good with the occasional white wing. Some of my best duck hunts have been in our tanks(and I'm from S LA).

My landowner is like family so I'm probably an exception to the rule.

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: StoneyLarue13] #5223246 07/29/14 01:40 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Stoney, have had the opportunity to hunt both areas, Roma/Rio Grande City area late 70s and Webb/Zapata county line since early 80s. All LF, 1,000-2,000 acre ranches and not much comparison for me. Much better hunting in Webb/Zapata county than Starr county. Deer are more abundant and average buck is better horns, period. As said, I'm sure there are exceptions to that on well managed, properties/operations but that has been the pretty consistent consensus from other hunters I know down that way. As also said, never seen as much theft as in Starr county either. Several times, the 4 tires were stolen right off our trailers. Only thing Starr exceeded Webb on was predators, lots of coyotes, a Mexican wolf spotted in late 70s and even a black panther was attempted at being trapped there by TPWD as it was believed to have eaten up to 15 of the landowners 20+ dogs. It would eat everything besides the feet.

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: StoneyLarue13] #5224500 07/29/14 07:57 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
popcorn

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: DQ Kid] #5224548 07/29/14 08:17 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Only thing Starr exceeded Webb on was predators, lots of coyotes, a Mexican wolf spotted in late 70s and even a black panther was attempted at being trapped there by TPWD as it was believed to have eaten up to 15 of the landowners 20+ dogs. It would eat everything besides the feet.

Interesting. This one's gonna be fun.

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: DQ Kid] #5224585 07/29/14 08:34 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Stoney, have had the opportunity to hunt both areas, Roma/Rio Grande City area late 70s and Webb/Zapata county line since early 80s. All LF, 1,000-2,000 acre ranches and not much comparison for me. Much better hunting in Webb/Zapata county than Starr county. Deer are more abundant and average buck is better horns, period. As said, I'm sure there are exceptions to that on well managed, properties/operations but that has been the pretty consistent consensus from other hunters I know down that way. As also said, never seen as much theft as in Starr county either. Several times, the 4 tires were stolen right off our trailers. Only thing Starr exceeded Webb on was predators, lots of coyotes, a Mexican wolf spotted in late 70s and even a black panther was attempted at being trapped there by TPWD as it was believed to have eaten up to 15 of the landowners 20+ dogs. It would eat everything besides the feet.

That last statement makes me question if you have ever hunted south Texas at all...

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: StoneyLarue13] #5224589 07/29/14 08:35 PM
S
StoneyLarue13 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
peep

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: txtrophy85] #5224601 07/29/14 08:39 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

That last statement makes me question if you have ever hunted south Texas at all...

Only since before you were probably born, but what's your point. I am conveying what the landowner told to us about his dogs being eaten other than the feet. How does that disqualify my 35+ years of hunting down there, I'm curious by that statement?

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: StoneyLarue13] #5224618 07/29/14 08:58 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The black panther hunt by TPWD makes me question

I bet Bigfoot stole the tires off your trailer to haul around his pet chupacabra in a custom cart before the la chuza stole it

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: txtrophy85] #5224708 07/29/14 09:53 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P

I bet Bigfoot stole the tires off your trailer to haul around his pet chupacabra in a custom cart before the la chuza stole it

Leprechauns can be some theiving little SOB's too.

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: StoneyLarue13] #5224754 07/29/14 10:22 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Strange Chit happen in the RGV,... but to answer the questions

yes its expensive
yes there are great opportunities for big deer

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: Palehorse] #5224931 07/29/14 11:56 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Palehorse

Leprechauns can be some theiving little SOB's too.

White walkers love to eat leprechaun

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: StoneyLarue13] #5225057 07/30/14 01:00 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Trophy is it so far fetched to think a panther or black mountain lion could have existed somewhere in lower TX in the later 70s. I didn't actually see it myself but simply recounted the landowner's comments. I also didn't say TPWD was hunting it but attempted to trap it. It is factual that a few Mexican greys existed in that area back in the later 70s based on established sightings. As for the stolen tires, that was known fact. For a younger guy, you proclaim to know quite a bit based on many postings of yours out there and seem to have a bit of habit of downplaying others' knowledge too. Continue believing what you do and I'll continue to know what I do.

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: DQ Kid] #5225384 07/30/14 03:37 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Trophy is it so far fetched to think a panther or black mountain lion could have existed somewhere in lower TX in the later 70s. I didn't actually see it myself but simply recounted the landowner's comments. I also didn't say TPWD was hunting it but attempted to trap it. It is factual that a few Mexican greys existed in that area back in the later 70s based on established sightings. As for the stolen tires, that was known fact. For a younger guy, you proclaim to know quite a bit based on many postings of yours out there and seem to have a bit of habit of downplaying others' knowledge too. Continue believing what you do and I'll continue to know what I do.

The problem is you and I were taught to believe our elders, if our landowner in 1970's said he saw pink elephants, I wouldn't have said a thing, I don't know if I would have believed him, but I sure wouldn't have questioned him.

As to hunting along the border, anyone can hunt there if that is what floats their boat. I have taken enough chances n my life and been lucky enough to still be kicking, so I think I would pass on the opportunity. there is enough thieving etc., going on in the rets of Texas, I don't need to add in drug cartel activity to get more excitement.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: DQ Kid] #5225930 07/30/14 03:30 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L

This is interesting. All dog's feet smell like Fritos. Don't believe me? Go take a whiff. So, I conclude that black panthers do not like Fritos. Therefore, the liberal scattering of Fritos around your property will likely deter black panthers.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: StoneyLarue13] #5226073 07/30/14 05:18 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
At least those 70s panthers didn't care for Fritos.

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: DQ Kid] #5226116 07/30/14 05:48 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Trophy is it so far fetched to think a panther or black mountain lion could have existed somewhere in lower TX in the later 70s.

its far fetched because they don't exist.

In all the world, there never has been a sighting of a black mountain lion. not one body, trail cam pic, no hard evidence of anything other than stories.

Black Jaguars do exist. Black mountain lions do not (unless you count the one in the Wal-Mart in Hondo)

I'm not doubting that you heard a story about a landowners dogs being eaten except for their feet by a black panther......I'm doubting the story in itself as being factual.

every tom, dick and harry "knows a guy" that has seen one, but one has mysteriously never hit the dirt.

they simply don't exist.

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: dogcatcher] #5226128 07/30/14 05:56 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

The problem is you and I were taught to believe our elders, if our landowner in 1970's said he saw pink elephants, I wouldn't have said a thing, I don't know if I would have believed him, but I sure wouldn't have questioned him.

With all due respect DC, Believing someone just because they are older than you is poor practice.

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: txtrophy85] #5226321 07/30/14 07:25 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

With all due respect DC, Believing someone just because they are older than you is poor practice.

I said we were taught to believe, I didn't say we actually believe them, but we would never question them. Like you said, it is called respect.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: LandPirate] #5226388 07/30/14 08:04 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: LandPirate

This is interesting. All dog's feet smell like Fritos. Don't believe me? Go take a whiff. So, I conclude that black panthers do not like Fritos. Therefore, the liberal scattering of Fritos around your property will likely deter black panthers.

This is one bit of advice that you can take to the bank! You sprinkle Fritos around, you are guaranteed to never see a black panther around your place!

I wonder if dogs watch people eating Fritos and think, "how do people eat those things? They smell like my feet."

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: StoneyLarue13] #5226754 07/30/14 10:43 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
If a person dosent question, how does one learn?

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: txtrophy85] #5226781 07/30/14 10:59 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
If a person dosent question, how does one learn?

Fiddlesticks! Shut up and do what I tell you, you little whipper snapper.

Re: Rio Grande Valley & Laredo Hunting? [Re: StoneyLarue13] #5230580 08/01/14 08:54 PM
C
CalebtheLee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: StoneyLarue13
peep

This is great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread