Print Thread
Last year's deer - What do you think they will be? #5218083 07/25/14 05:26 PM
J
JHeflinland Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
I'm bored and looking at last year's pictures, and I am super anxious to get an inventory on our bucks and put together a hit list for the upcoming season. These are a few deer that I know survived last year, and I'm wondering how old y'all think they are and what they might look like this year? Not much history or very many pics of any of them.

A couple of ratty horned bucks, ole big brow, and the "ghost 8"

Keep in mind all these pics except for the big brow buck were from around February/March. They were all really rutted down around that time.

Ole big brow, didn't get many of him last year, how long do ya'll think his brows will be this year?

No name for this one, he showed up around February, we had never seen him on camera or in person before this. Age? Does it look like an injury to that side in velvet, a permanent ugly side, or is he broken?

Another one that showed up late in the season. He has some ratty horns too. Age? What do you think he'll be this year?

Now, I had a chance to shoot this deer last year. "Ghost 8" Just an 8 point, nothing special, but we had never seen him, on camera, or in person, either. I let him walk, and got these pics a couple months later. Would ya'll have done the same thing? Age? How much do ya'll think he will grow?

I ought to have a picture or two of some of these deer within a month or so. Figure I'll update the thread as I get them, and let ya'll make some guesses as to what they will be.

If ducks had horns I'd probably be a duck hunter.
I am a horrible deer hunter. Probably the worst. Ever.
Re: Last year's deer - What do you think they will be? [Re: JHeflinland] #5218115 07/25/14 05:50 PM
R
RossCravens Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I like Ole Big Brow!

No Name looks to me like he is broke, be interesting to see what he looks like this year, he looks to me like he is 3-1/2 in the pictures.

I would have done the same thing with the Ghost 8...See what he looks like this year, he may be ready!

keep the pictures coming! Some good looking deer!!

Gig 'Em

Ross Cravens
Class of '10

"From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it."
Re: Last year's deer - What do you think they will be? [Re: JHeflinland] #5218198 07/25/14 06:43 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Hef, think those will all be 4+ yo bucks this season..

Re: Last year's deer - What do you think they will be? [Re: JHeflinland] #5218239 07/25/14 07:17 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Nice bucks.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Last year's deer - What do you think they will be? [Re: JHeflinland] #5218522 07/25/14 10:09 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Hef, you see much action on those B&J protein blocks in the pens? I've tried them before and when I do, seem to see more bucks around though I've yet to see an actual picture of bucks eating them.

Re: Last year's deer - What do you think they will be? [Re: DQ Kid] #5218549 07/25/14 10:33 PM
J
JHeflinland Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Hef, you see much action on those B&J protein blocks in the pens? I've tried them before and when I do, seem to see more bucks around though I've yet to see an actual picture of bucks eating them.

I only bought a few of them and put them out that one time. Not sure of the brand, it's whatever they carry at Rafter W Feed in Sonora. They were all gone within a month, but that was back when it was super dry earlier in the year, and my protein feeders were getting hammered really hard at the same time. I think they are a great attractant. They have a really sweet smell and I think it helps to get some animals to jump in the pens. I started getting a lot more aoudad pictures once I put those blocks out, but it could have been coincidence that they finally really figured out the feeders were there. We've only been feeding this place for about a year and a half and we had a hard time getting animals to come to feed and jump in the new pens when we first started. I still have animals that never jump in a pen that I see when I corn the roads.

Main priority when I go to our lease is to get feeders as full as I can, so I haven't picked any more blocks up since then. I will probably use them some more when I don't have the bed of my truck plum full of corn and protein.

I deleted most of the pictures from when I had those blocks out, but I know I had some where the deer were eating on them. I know the aoudad liked them.

If ducks had horns I'd probably be a duck hunter.
I am a horrible deer hunter. Probably the worst. Ever.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide