Print Thread
Favorite Supplement?!? #5216365 07/24/14 03:26 PM
R
RossCravens Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
We all know that everyone has their favorite secret bait...What is yours?

Has anyone seen this stuff?: http://www.basspro.com/Big-&-J-Meltdown-Deer-Supplement/product/14032511504232/

Big & J Meltdown...it looks interesting and I will probably give it a shot this year.

I like to try new stuff and I am always looking for new things to try and get the deer to come to my feeder before my dad's or one of my brother's haha.

I mix it up between throwing out a salt lick every once in a while. I spread and bury sweet feed from time to time. Mix peanut butter and apple juice in a can, hang it, and poke holes in it. Cut up and spread fruit sometimes. Buy the "Deer Mineral" from the feed store (about $20 for a 20 pound sack!!!). I have tried planting oats, but have never had any luck with rain to help out...I plant them at my feeder that's on top of the hill with no way to really help out with watering, and I am far enough away that I can't coordinate a trip with the forecast, so I just have to throw it out and hope for the best.

So what are some of y'all's favorite supplements to attract deer?

All I know for sure is the next three months are going to drag by!!! I am ready for opening weekend!!!!!

Gig 'Em

Ross Cravens
Class of '10

"From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it."
Re: Favorite Supplement?!? [Re: RossCravens] #5216378 07/24/14 03:34 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Peanuts

Rice bran

Granny Smith Apples

Overly ripe persimmons

Biologic bio rock

Mineral lick- dical phosphate, rock salt, trace mineral salt)

Oh yeh, and CORN!

Re: Favorite Supplement?!? [Re: RossCravens] #5216387 07/24/14 03:42 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
buck ration or sweet feed

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Favorite Supplement?!? [Re: RossCravens] #5216389 07/24/14 03:42 PM
R
RossCravens Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
And Corn haha...I forgot to mention that...we feed 7 feeders year round on our 270 acres with the wildlife mix...corn, protein, and bird seed.

Since we've started feeding that we have had major growth in our turkey population. Once were few, now are many!!! Very good feed!

Peanuts huh? Do you buy shelled peanuts or just chunk out whole ones and let them go after them? It seems like whole, roasted, and salted peanuts would be pretty attractive to deer...and squirrels, maybe that would keep the little pecker heads off of my timer!

Gig 'Em

Ross Cravens
Class of '10

"From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it."
Re: Favorite Supplement?!? [Re: RossCravens] #5217040 07/24/14 11:43 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Protein in free choice feeder year round. Corn out of spin feeder and out of road feeder. Road feeder will draw deer as far as they can hear it.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Favorite Supplement?!? [Re: RossCravens] #5218104 07/25/14 05:42 PM
R
RossCravens Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
I wish I was close enough to keep a free choice protein feeder going year round, but can't keep it filled often enough so that's why I use the mix in my feeders.

Road feeders...haha I have a 100 pound All Season road feeder. It is great, I love that thing. It was expensive, but very well built and works very well. Problem with it: it has a little trigger wired to it that you use to actuate the feeder. Problem is that I am trigger happy! I will fill that thing up with 100 pounds of corn and the damn thing is empty in no time because I can't stop pulling the trigger haha...and I just think I am bad, the old man is worse when he gets the trigger in his hand!!!

Our deer get fed very well! I was just curious what supplements people like. Trying to stir up conversations since I can hardly wait for deer season to get here!

Gig 'Em

Ross Cravens
Class of '10

Re: Favorite Supplement?!? [Re: RossCravens] #5218478 07/25/14 09:30 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Mixture of Protein/Roasted Soybeans/Corn in free choice feeders. Mixture of Roasted Soybeans/Corn in mechanical feeders. Corn from our 250# tailgate feeder in vicinity of feed pens and in other shooting lanes. For hogs we leave a few feeders unfenced away from the areas we hunt deer to shoot pigs and run corn in those.

I've tried various "other" lures & supplements over the years and the only thing I've ever seen them actively use is the mineral licks so I always have one of those in my pen

Re: Favorite Supplement?!? [Re: RossCravens] #5218831 07/26/14 01:47 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: RossCravens
I wish I was close enough to keep a free choice protein feeder going year round, but can't keep it filled often enough so that's why I use the mix in my feeders.

You can get free choice protein feeders that have a LOT of capacity. Shouldn't be a problem unless you are feeding a whale of a lot of deer. Depending upon your area, some suppliers will fill you feeders for you with a bulk truck.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide