Page 1 of 2 1 2
Competition Ribs #5202653 07/15/14 09:11 PM
W
wacorusty Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I need to polish my rib skills for a cookoff in September. My buddies do chicken and brisket and I do the ribs. Do any of you big pit guys have a suggestion for firm, but pull off the bone meat. I generally stick with the 3,2,1 at 225. My ribs are always tasty, but sometimes the bone is not as clean as it could be. They can't fall off, but I've seen some other entries judging that were perfect and one bite and the meat separated from the bone without any tissue. Should I try more foil time?

I should add, the meat is always tender. The family actually likes them without sauce and over cooked more like pulled pork.

Last edited by wacorusty; 07/15/14 09:29 PM.

"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." Cicero
Re: Competition Ribs [Re: wacorusty] #5202717 07/15/14 10:01 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Do you spray them down? I spray down with apple juice every hour. then the last 2 hours I put them in foil with the BBQ sauce. I also put them in a cooler to rest for an hour after cooking still wrapped in the foil.

Re: Competition Ribs [Re: wacorusty] #5202783 07/15/14 10:48 PM
W
wacorusty Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I use a mix of apple juice and cider every time I open the lid. I seldom rest them in the cooler like a brisket. I'll try it this weekend.

"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." Cicero
Re: Competition Ribs [Re: wacorusty] #5202964 07/16/14 12:53 AM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Use squeeze butter and brown sugar when you wrap them.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Competition Ribs [Re: wacorusty] #5202981 07/16/14 01:03 AM
W
wacorusty Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I do butter and honey. up

Re: Competition Ribs [Re: wacorusty] #5203042 07/16/14 01:44 AM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I don't do mine competition style, I like them to fall off the bone. But to control the texture, adjust your foil time.

If 3-2-1 is a little firm for you, try 3-2.5-0.5 and see how that works. The longer in the foil the more tender you get. Also, letting them set will firm them up.

I do baby backs, which are typically 2-2-1. I do 3-2 and then let them set in the foil for a bit and cut them with a very sharp knife (the bones will literally pull out if you're not careful). The first plate you eat just melt in your mouth, but when you go back for seconds, they're firmer.

I've never done competition cooking, but if they sit for a while before the judges get to them, you may actually want to cook them to be a little more tender than you think they should be.

[Linked Image]
Re: Competition Ribs [Re: wacorusty] #5203112 07/16/14 02:40 AM
N
NewGulf Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
i never wrap my ribs or brisket until its done and in the house....

Re: Competition Ribs [Re: NewGulf] #5203594 07/16/14 03:12 PM
W
wacorusty Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: NewGulf

I've tried, I just can't get the tenderness without the crutch. Must be the humidity down there smile

Re: Competition Ribs [Re: Gone to Texas] #5203618 07/16/14 03:23 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas
Do you spray them down? I spray down with apple juice every hour. then the last 2 hours I put them in foil with the BBQ sauce. I also put them in a cooler to rest for an hour after cooking still wrapped in the foil.

YUCK on the apple juice... my cousin does that when he does ribs for comp and they just taste nasty to me and everyone else that is not is the comp world , to me it really ruins them .The perfect rib to me is a little tough to get off the bone , this is what i do
Put on the smoker unwrapped for about 10 min to get the good smoke taste then wrap in foil till they are almost done then the last 10-15 min let the smoke get to them some more oh yeah and dont forget to dap some more of your suace of choice at that time.

Last edited by Kenneth1977; 07/16/14 03:27 PM.
Re: Competition Ribs [Re: wacorusty] #5203671 07/16/14 03:55 PM
W
wacorusty Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I've never had anyone claim they can taste the apple juice. With my mix of half cider it acts more as a moisturizer and breakdown. I've got a good recipe, it's just not great yet. I'll keep you posted!

Re: Competition Ribs [Re: wacorusty] #5203676 07/16/14 04:01 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
What I have learned about competition cooking is... go have a good time enjoy company with good friends have a good reason to pop a beer at 5-6 in the morning eat some tacos and be a bum all day.

I have cooked some damn fine ribs, good enough that we almost ate them all before turn in and they don't win a thing. Then turn in a brisket that I think is the worst ive ever done and win.

I have never cooked in big time competitions with "real" judges. They are usually just average joes off the street that don't know much about bbq and I think it shows.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Competition Ribs [Re: redchevy] #5203688 07/16/14 04:07 PM
W
wacorusty Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: redchevy
What I have learned about competition cooking is... go have a good time enjoy company with good friends have a good reason to pop a beer at 5-6 in the morning eat some tacos and be a bum all day.

I have cooked some damn fine ribs, good enough that we almost ate them all before turn in and they don't win a thing. Then turn in a brisket that I think is the worst ive ever done and win.

I have never cooked in big time competitions with "real" judges. They are usually just average joes off the street that don't know much about bbq and I think it shows.

YEP!

Re: Competition Ribs [Re: wacorusty] #5203720 07/16/14 04:29 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
never have done competition but most people rave about my pork ribs (baby back & St. Louis cuts) ... use 3-2-1 method with simple basic rub (coat with olive oil, black pepper (both fine & course grind), onion & garlic powder, smoked (or Hungarian) paprika, kosher or sea salt)... 3 hour heavy fruit (pecan, walnut, peach, pear) & oak wood smoke low temp (160-170*) mopping with homemade sauce (beef stock, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, worcestershire, black pepper, onion & garlic powder and butter, could put in a spray bottle if it had a large enough hole for seasonings to pass thru without clogging) every 30-45 minutes to keep moist ... kick temperature up to 225-250 for 2 hours double wrapped in aluminum foil and mopped before sealing ... open foil up to enhance the bark for ~1 hour. I have shared this with 8-10 friends who have tried it and they love it results... I have no idea what competition style would be looking for, but this is proven for normal folk and their likes. I have even gotten lazy where I do the 3 hour smoking and then transfer to the oven for the 2 & 1 for more regulated and unattended temperature.

what separates "competition" style???

Last edited by PMK; 07/16/14 04:30 PM.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Competition Ribs [Re: wacorusty] #5204090 07/16/14 08:57 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
For me competition ribs is all in the appearance. They need to look like the perfect rib, be tender but not falling apart etc.

I prefer my ribs in tact just enough to grab one and munch on it while walking to get a nice cold refreshment, but alter my cooking method for comp so they don't fall apart.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Competition Ribs [Re: NewGulf] #5204250 07/16/14 11:03 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

up My ribs never get wrapped either and I use apple juice as well. I have never had any complaints but I dont like my ribs falling off the bone. I want to gnaw the meat off. No sauce and no foil.

Re: Competition Ribs [Re: wacorusty] #5205079 07/17/14 12:59 PM
W
wood1378 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
I typically smoke my ribs around 250 for 2 hours...wrap with foil (butter & brown sugar)...put them back on the smoker for 2 hours same temp. Then I wrap them with a towel and put them into a cooler for atleast an hour or as long as I can. Really good results and about as close as I can get to a comp rib. Also, think the key is cooking several racks and then finding the ones you like the best for the box.

Re: Competition Ribs [Re: wacorusty] #5205141 07/17/14 01:43 PM
N
NewGulf Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
when you cook ribs properly youre supposed to take a bite and a slight tug and the meat comes off and to me you ruin the consistency of the meat when you wrap with foil. when people talk about meat falling off the bone that really tells me they dont know what they are doing. same goes with brisket. imo when you wrap with foil the cooking style changes and it goes more toward baking than bbq'ing then you get roast type meat and thats not bbq.....my briskets are put on and never flipped and my heat is regulated between 180-200 for however long depending on size. not trying to piss anybody off but thats my opinion on using foil

Re: Competition Ribs [Re: wacorusty] #5205547 07/17/14 04:48 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
there is a reason nearly all competition cooks wrap their ribs. just saying. you have to remember, competition is different than at home just as competition chili is different than what you would cook at home.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Competition Ribs [Re: NewGulf] #5206126 07/17/14 10:49 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
when you cook ribs properly youre supposed to take a bite and a slight tug and the meat comes off and to me you ruin the consistency of the meat when you wrap with foil. when people talk about meat falling off the bone that really tells me they dont know what they are doing. same goes with brisket. imo when you wrap with foil the cooking style changes and it goes more toward baking than bbq'ing then you get roast type meat and thats not bbq.....my briskets are put on and never flipped and my heat is regulated between 180-200 for however long depending on size. not trying to piss anybody off but thats my opinion on using foil

I agree with you on the ribs for sure. If you have the time can you pm your brisket recipe and instructions please. Im not very good with a brisket but want to learn.

One quick question for the guys that wrap in foil, why bother with having to tend a fire when you could put it in the oven? I understand the smoke at first but once wrapped it seems that it would be way easier and consistent in the oven but like I said I have no clue on brisket.

Re: Competition Ribs [Re: NewGulf] #5206439 07/18/14 02:06 AM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Lots of competition cookers and restaurant owners who don't know what they're doing then. And a bunch of them make damn fine ribs.

[Linked Image]
Re: Competition Ribs [Re: BOONER] #5206440 07/18/14 02:07 AM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: BOONER

I agree with you on the ribs for sure. If you have the time can you pm your brisket recipe and instructions please. Im not very good with a brisket but want to learn.

One quick question for the guys that wrap in foil, why bother with having to tend a fire when you could put it in the oven? I understand the smoke at first but once wrapped it seems that it would be way easier and consistent in the oven but like I said I have no clue on brisket.

Use a BGE. No need to tend fire. Oven works too at that point.

[Linked Image]
Re: Competition Ribs [Re: Gumbeaux] #5206454 07/18/14 02:19 AM
N
NewGulf Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Gumbeaux

Lots of competition cookers and restaurant owners who don't know what they're doing then. And a bunch of them make damn fine ribs.

yep and Lots of people will never really know what good bbq is either....

Re: Competition Ribs [Re: BOONER] #5206457 07/18/14 02:20 AM
N
NewGulf Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Booner i'll pm you in the morning buddy! up

Re: Competition Ribs [Re: NewGulf] #5206781 07/18/14 10:16 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

Booner i'll pm you in the morning buddy! up

Thanks!

Re: Competition Ribs [Re: Gumbeaux] #5207859 07/18/14 11:50 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Gumbeaux

Use a BGE. No need to tend fire. Oven works too at that point.

Yes sir I understand the egg will hold temps awesome like, but why spend a grand or more on an extra cooking option when you already have an oven? Not arguing because I dont know. Just curious why people wrap in foil and leave it on the grill. Does the smoke make the foil better? grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide