Print Thread
Best Surface Drive? #4989133 02/24/14 02:25 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F
Wondering about yalls opinion on what the best surface drive motor is?

[Linked Image]

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4989232 02/24/14 03:01 AM
R
rcxdm40 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Mud motor talk is a good place to research your question.

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4989546 02/24/14 01:07 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
There are a lot of strong opinions about that topic on MMT, most on there are a little bias towards GatorTail, some are on the GT payroll that run most of the talk on that sight. Good place to get information and knowledge about them though.
All of them run about the same 35 Briggs Vanguard motors for power, then the rest is all a Ford Vs Chevy debate.
A couple have reverse too, they will all get the job done, some are better than others in mud, veggies, and shallow water, just depends.
If you use them for what they are made for you will break stuff on all of them, if you baby them, probably not, but that defeats the purpose of having one, "drive it like you stole it" thru shallow water, stumps, standing timber, grass, veggies, laydowns,and anything else in your way.

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4989687 02/24/14 02:53 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Depends on what you are looking for. I bought go devil for the simple, built like a tank and fix it myself in a weekend type of motor. I am not a fan of others with all the bells and whistles. The more bells you have the more whistles need to be fixed. So it depends, what is it you want?

It has truly become a Ford Vs Chevy debate that is really tiresome. I am not talking about you asking, I am talking about the way this thread could go. Every DA that doesn't even own a mud motor will give their own opinion about heir Uncle T-roe's neighbor's brother has a brand X motor and it is the best because brand Z just sucks. That is the part that is just tiresome.

The whole thing started as the companies were going head to head on sales. We all know the best way to be number one, does not necesarily mean you built the number one product. It means you marketed your product better than the rest. In the mud motor industry, the best way to do that is to create a following of the young people and let them do your marketing for you. They are seemingly so loyal to "Their" brand they will meet you at the Walmart parking lot and fight over it. Now your sales are through the roof as if you pick the wrong motor, you are not in the club. They wear the same clothes, drink the same beer, wear the same hats and sunglasses. Seems to me it is rather high school-ish. You would think they would want to be individuals not followers.

My suggestion to everyone is. Research it! If someone is steadlily banging on one brand for whatever reason, ask yourself why. I like all mud motors. When I was a kid and the ditches were flooded we used to ride plywood boards pulled by a neighbors truck. That was the most fun I have ever had (until I discovered woman). So who really gives a rats arse the brand. Get educated on what each one brings to the table, pick based on your decision alone, not because some baggy khacki short, same T-shirt wearing, same brand beer as everyone else punk tells you is the best. No reason to be trendy, especially when you are dropping a whole lot of cash.

Last edited by wal1809; 02/25/14 12:59 AM.
Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4989832 02/24/14 04:14 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Pretty spot on, Wal.
That's why I have made the offer to a few folks on here to drive mine if they want too. I am affiliated with none of them, boats or motors but offer if anyone wants to take mine for a spin, I have owned a couple different brands and have drove some of the others and have my own opinions based on my needs, but everyone is different and has different needs.

Good point you made.

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4991138 02/25/14 04:24 AM
H
hunt91 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Wal is right. It is the Ford/Chevy debate and most of the guys in the debate don't drive either! I have a Mud Buddy 35 and it has been a great motor. No problems whatsoever and it pushes at 1750 Gatortrax at 26 mph empty and 24 with a full load. If I were going to get another motor it would be a Gatortail. I have been around a bunch of them and they are great motors and come with reverse which is nice.

It really comes down to what you plan to use it for. Test drive as many as you can and go from there. They will all give you problems at some point, because after all, they are just souped up lawnmower engines pushing a boat though the mud!

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4991154 02/25/14 04:36 AM
B
BigHenFx4 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Does anyone run these on the coast? Been doing more hunting down there recently but mainly just seen airboats and outboards.

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4991244 02/25/14 07:20 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Foosh you looking for one? Mine is for sale.

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4991353 02/25/14 01:07 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
One point, these motors are not designed to run on a regular aluminum boat with horizontal bracing and runners on the bottom.
For these motors and rigs to perform the best make sure the boat is a true slick/flat bottom with longitudal bracing made for the motor for optimal performance.

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: mohunter] #4991597 02/25/14 03:25 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: mohunter
One point, these motors are not designed to run on a regular aluminum boat with horizontal bracing and runners on the bottom.
For these motors and rigs to perform the best make sure the boat is a true slick/flat bottom with longitudal bracing made for the motor for optimal performance.

True statement! It will push a regular boat, all the way to the death of the hull.

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4991892 02/25/14 06:40 PM
H
Hogman4127 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
SE Texas seems to love pro drive.

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4992329 02/25/14 10:52 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F
Thanks for the opinions. I guess it's all a matter of opinion.

Funny yall say it's a Ford vs Chevy thing, as I've dealt with that crap in another life with the racing scene.

In fact I've got 2 Fords, a Chevy and a Chrysler in the drive way right now. peep

Another question:

How important do yall think having reverse is?

[Linked Image]

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4992659 02/26/14 01:34 AM
T
TrackQuack Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I personally don't think reverse is a big deal, I have a prodrive w/ manual reverse and it only takes two seconds to pull the pin and turn the lower unit. I never use reverse, just get out and point the boat in the other direction.

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: wal1809] #4992845 02/26/14 02:56 AM
B
BigAL33 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
+1

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Depends on what you are looking for. I bought go devil for the simple, built like a tank and fix it myself in a weekend type of motor. I am not a fan of others with all the bells and whistles. The more bells you have the more whistles need to be fixed. So it depends, what is it you want?

It has truly become a Ford Vs Chevy debate that is really tiresome. I am not talking about you asking, I am talking about the way this thread could go. Every DA that doesn't even own a mud motor will give their own opinion about heir Uncle T-roe's neighbor's brother has a brand X motor and it is the best because brand Z just sucks. That is the part that is just tiresome.

The whole thing started as the companies were going head to head on sales. We all know the best way to be number one, does not necesarily mean you built the number one product. It means you marketed your product better than the rest. In the mud motor industry, the best way to do that is to create a following of the young people and let them do your marketing for you. They are seemingly so loyal to "Their" brand they will meet you at the Walmart parking lot and fight over it. Now your sales are through the roof as if you pick the wrong motor, you are not in the club. They wear the same clothes, drink the same beer, wear the same hats and sunglasses. Seems to me it is rather high school-ish. You would think they would want to be individuals not followers.

My suggestion to everyone is. Research it! If someone is steadlily banging on one brand for whatever reason, ask yourself why. I like all mud motors. When I was a kid and the ditches were flooded we used to ride plywood boards pulled by a neighbors truck. That was the most fun I have ever had (until I discovered woman). So who really gives a rats arse the brand. Get educated on what each one brings to the table, pick based on your decision alone, not because some baggy khacki short, same T-shirt wearing, same brand beer as everyone else punk tells you is the best. No reason to be trendy, especially when you are dropping a whole lot of cash.

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4993025 02/26/14 04:56 AM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
"its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4993219 02/26/14 01:23 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Fooshman

Funny yall say it's a Ford vs Chevy thing, as I've dealt with that crap in another life with the racing scene.

In fact I've got 2 Fords, a Chevy and a Chrysler in the drive way right now. peep

Another question:

Last edited by mohunter; 02/26/14 01:24 PM.
Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4993223 02/26/14 01:25 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Fooshman

Another question:

That question can be best answered by people that actually run one of these rigs. I do not have it and do not think its a big deal, never really needed it, Most of the guys I know do not have reverse and the ones that do never use it much for duck hunting. IF you plan on fishing out of your boat you may like it though, its not hard to push the front of the boat in one direction though.
I am all for making the driving experience more comfortable, IE neutral and power trim, which they do but reverse does not really add much to me other than something else to break.
Just my opinion

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4994425 02/26/14 09:06 PM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Reverse has saved my azz twice. I've used it a handful of times. And there's one Lake I hunt that has a dirt ramp with not much of a plane to it. The reverse makes it a hell of lot easier and I don't have to worry about backing my truck completely in the water and getting it stuck like I've been known to do lol

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4995258 02/27/14 04:25 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F
Now, who do yall think makes the best hull?
Probably more Ford vs Chevy again but I will take opinions.

[Linked Image]

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4995503 02/27/14 01:18 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I speak about what I have experience with on hulls but about the same debate though.
I do not like Excel boats, a buddy that had one did not like it either.
Godevil boats are tanks, not many options though, 17.5" tall sides unless you pick the 54" wide boat, not much room inside because they put so many floatation pods in the back.
Gator Trax is one of the best IMO, it always has been, you can build it any way you want with storage where you want, they are built like tanks also, but expensive, they also have rounded chimes and handle better than any other mud hull and will turn on a dime like a Champion bass boat.
Most other rigs are going to be square or tapered chimes which will and do slide a lot when turning.

For some reason my boats always like stumps, the Godevil and Gatortrax have hit many, most will just knock down or over but some large stumps will not move, in those cases of direct hits neither boat has took any damage, the Excel and Weldbilt hulls have not done so well.

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4995531 02/27/14 01:40 PM
G
GravyWheels Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Godevil all the way. Boats and motors. I ran mine at the coast several times with no problems. Just rinse with fresh water after use. I also would apply a light coat of WD-40 after use to all bare metal areas.

Dave

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: wal1809] #4995658 02/27/14 03:02 PM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: wal1809
Depends on what you are looking for. I bought go devil for the simple, built like a tank and fix it myself in a weekend type of motor. I am not a fan of others with all the bells and whistles. The more bells you have the more whistles need to be fixed.

Pretty much the way I look at everything.

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: Fooshman] #4997085 02/28/14 01:52 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Gator trax are built like a tank.

Re: Best Surface Drive? [Re: FowlDreams] #4997863 02/28/14 03:18 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: FowlDreams
Gator trax are built like a tank.

if I cant break a gatortrax this must me true up

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide