Print Thread
English Springer Spaniel #4976279 02/16/14 04:51 AM
C
CPTTSU1 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
What do people think about the English Spring Spaniel for an all round duck dog?

Re: English Springer Spaniel [Re: CPTTSU1] #4976516 02/16/14 02:46 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
I know the next question coming so I'll ask it, Why not a lab? I can't think of a better duck dog unless it's CBR.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: English Springer Spaniel [Re: CPTTSU1] #4977176 02/17/14 12:48 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: CPTTSU1
What do people think about the English Spring Spaniel for an all round duck dog?

Don't know that it would be a good choice for a dedicated all around duck dog. It is a popular versatile breed and properly trained do great as waterfowl retrievers, but there would probably be hunting situations that could be difficult that would be another day at the office for a retriever breed. As a versatile dog it could be an excellent choice. You probably already know this breed is split between show and hunting almost as bad as Labradors are. Almost like two separate breeds within the breed. It would be critical to choose your breeding wisely when looking for a pup.

http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article/training-spaniels-for-waterfowl-Page1.htm

Re: English Springer Spaniel [Re: RayB] #4977871 02/17/14 02:23 PM
B
Bigjoe8504 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
I know the next question coming so I'll ask it, Why not a lab? I can't think of a better duck dog unless it's CBR.
or if you want a spaniel sized dog... Boykin Spaniel.

Re: English Springer Spaniel [Re: CPTTSU1] #4978279 02/17/14 06:13 PM
H
huck18 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
The Boykin Spaniel would best fit your needs if your wanting to stay away from the classics such as Labs and CBR's. There's not much a Lab can do that a Boykin can't. The only issues with a smaller dog would be ice breaking, thick mud or really big choppy water. But even then those are going to issues any breed has to deal with and overcome. What the Boykin lacks in size it makes up for with heart and determination. They are very versatile game finders and have a much better nose than a Lab. They can double as tracking dogs or upland flushers or pointers if you want to train them for it. Besides the usuall breeds like Labs, CBR's or field Goldens the Boykin is about the best retrieving breed out there, IMO. There are a lot of them with HRC Finished Titles and some with AKC Master titles. Even a few that have Grand passes and Master National passes.

Click to play video.

Re: English Springer Spaniel [Re: CPTTSU1] #4978287 02/17/14 06:18 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I think the Boykin can be a great retriever and they are fast becoming more popular. I did consider one for myself once. The only problem I would worry about as a waterfowl dog is with them being short and light weight at around 30 to 40 pounds maybe. English Springers probably start at 40 pounds and up from there. I don't know, but there might be a problem with larger waterfowl. Some of the greaters we kill are pushing close to 15 pounds. So if any spaniel is on the short list, he might want to consider that. Perhaps with a Boykin as a waterfowl retriever take note that males in the breed are going to be larger than females.

I think part of what is going on when we see people asking about other off target breeds for duck hunting, when there are other breeds so much better suited to the purpose, is that some people and their families just have a great like of a particular breed for reasons unrelated to waterfowl hunting, but also enjoy hunting waterfowl or are just getting into it. I waterfowl hunt with Vizslas, not because they are the best dog for the purpose, but because I like Vizslas more than other breeds for other types of hunting and for reasons other than hunting, so I found a proven breed line with the size and natural ability that can also fill my needs when hunting waterfowl.

I do love Labradors. I owned, trained, and hunted with one. And if I had the time and resources to own several dogs I would own a CBR and a Boykin. But my wife has had enough of the years I was owned by a pack of treeing walkers. I can only have one working dog at a time, so I found my nich with Vizslas as a versatile dog and will always have Vizslas. I have no plans to ever own another retriever breed again. For that to change, it would take me becoming a full time waterfowl guide to have a need for a dedicated retriever.

So I see nothing wrong with questions like these. But to those asking, know choosing the breeding is important, know it may take more training than a traditional breed, know there may be some limitations in how you waterfowl hunt, and know it may not work out. Huck18 commented in a recent thread during a discussion about a young Labrador that was not showing much drive retrieving. "Why would you spend the time training a dog with no natural ability or prey drive? The best trainers in the world can't make a dog something it's not". And that is a powerful statement. By choosing a non traditional retrieving breed, the odds are not likely to be stacked in your favor. If your dog is untrainable or does not have the natural ability to do what you bought it for, the only solution is a new dog. Not everyone treats a dog as just a tool, so you may become attached, and your family may become attached. Dogs quickly become family members. So know you may be stuck with your choice. So do choose your breed and your breeding wisely.

Re: English Springer Spaniel [Re: CPTTSU1] #4978348 02/17/14 06:50 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I just thought of a good tool for researching breeds other than the big three for waterfowl hunting. There is a difference between what we say a breed can do and what a breeds is really being used for in the real world. With todays social networking everyone loves to post online pictures of their dogs working. Go to Google Search, then Google Images and plug in the words English Springer Spaniel Retrieving, and look at the photo results. Not many pictures online of Springers retrieving waterfowl. Very few really. Then I did the same by putting in Boykin Retrieving. There are several pictures of Boykins retrieving waterfowl and it looks like my question about geese is answered. There are several pictures of Boykins retrieving geese and they don't seem to be having any problem.

Re: English Springer Spaniel [Re: CPTTSU1] #4978397 02/17/14 07:17 PM
H
huck18 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
The difference in the Boykin and the other non-traditional breeds is the Boykin was bred specifically for waterfowl hunting in small backwater rivers and streams out of small boats. Hence the moniker "the dog that wont rock the boat". If your hunting more Geese than ducks then the Boykin is not for you. They can pick them up, but I would not choose a Boykin for a dedicated goose dog. As far as a small waterfowl retriever goes, they are hard to beat.

If you choose a Boykin from a quality breeder/breeding the odds will not be stacked against you at all. In fact if you do your research and train the dog properly from day one, it will be hard not to not make it a nice little retriever. I've watched and worked with over 60 Boykins over the past few years at various Boykin events and almost all of them are good retrievers. There are the occasional few who just are not that into and don't care about it but the same goes for all breeds.

It's all about the genetics, if you get a dog from high quality working stock you will get a quality pup. That's why I wouldn't spend time training a dog with zero talent when there are tons of talented pups out there if you do your homework. If you just look at retriever hunt test titles the Boykin will rank right behind all the traditional breeds and above all other non-traditional breeds.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide