Print Thread
Stocking quail #4863136 12/24/13 01:44 PM
T
Texan 65 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
Has anyone on the forum bought and stocked quail on a lease that is conducive to their habitat? If so, did the purchased birds make it and did it help that native bird already on the lease thrive? We are about to move to a lease in Woodson and I would like to have a quail population to hunt next year.

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4863247 12/24/13 02:33 PM
A
AWSjr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
I have asked that question too, never really get a good answer. I don't think the survival rate on released pen raised birds is very high: like 98% loss. There are some of the guys on here that have had luck with there techniques but mine have been a total flop. Good luck to you, and...I think there are some ok quail populations in the Woodson area.

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4863276 12/24/13 02:47 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
The correct answer is-it does not work!

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4863532 12/24/13 04:23 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
You will waste your money unless you enjoy feeding the local predator population. Pen raised birds are not equipped to deal with life outside of the cage. AWSjr is probably being generous at a 98% survival rate. I've done it and only had a few feathers left to show for it. They are literally gone overnight.

Re: Stocking quail [Re: jetdad] #4863613 12/24/13 04:52 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
If you can find some flight conditioned birds and release them into a johnny house with a recall speaker on it, you might have better luck. Also, if you are feeding birds, eliminate the bird feeders and broadcast the feed. Quail feeders are the biggest death traps in the game.

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4863643 12/24/13 05:07 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Several years ago a guy got on this forum with his Surrogator. I think this is the one.

http://wildlifemanagementtechnologies.com/Store/Product/3:Surrogator%C2%AE_XL_

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4863656 12/24/13 05:11 PM
T
Texan 65 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
Thanks for the input, guys. When feeding birds I have always put it under a bush or broadcast it because of the predators. We used to have some quail on the Spade but did not have the hunting rights.

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4863878 12/24/13 06:42 PM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
We have released literally thousands on a high fenced section+ North of Freer thru the years (Yes, it is a licensed private bird hunting area). Overall, I would say the birds have not taken hold, altho I was seeing a few coveys scattered around the ranch prior to bringing in any quail this year. Are they our leftovers from years past? I can't say. I will say that that particular area is not famous for quail production, and I would like to think that some of our birds have been able to make a living out there and lived to propagate.

Last edited by Pointer; 12/24/13 06:43 PM.
Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4864899 12/25/13 03:55 AM
shooterwalter Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
very low chance for success

www.poetryshootingclub.com

Gun Dog Training, Flighty Quail

Guided/Unguided Quail Hunting

Group Events/Parties

700 Yard Range

CLOSE TO DALLAS

Take a youth shooting

214-728-2755

By appointment always and you shoot in private.

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4867721 12/26/13 07:18 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Basically, it won't work. Predators, habitat and rainfall seem to greatly effect the success rate. As stated above, pen raised birds don't seem to possess the skills to survive.

Another thing is lifespan. I've always heard the average quail lives for under two years. Found this today on the web:
"The death each year of approximately 70 percent to 80 percent of the world's quail population is balanced by unusually large broods, hatched from a production of nine to 15 eggs each season. In the wild, a bobwhite quail may live as long as five years, but the average life expectancy is less than one year."

Which also probably means, trying to "save" quail for next year is a questionable practice too.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4867993 12/26/13 10:00 PM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W

I have to agree with the others here that say it wouldn't work.
If you have birds on your property and want more then you have
habitat/predator/parasite/disease/weather issues. If you have
no birds but think you have good habitat the best thing to try
would be to transplant wild birds(probably legal/law issues).
Other options are a "soft release" where you feed/water flight
conditioned birds or a Johnny House(probably the cheapest with
best chance of success) but your success will vary.

I've wondered what game departments did in the past to have success
with introducing new species like Pheasants and Chukars as I'm sure
many of those first birds were pen raised. I suspect they nuked
the predator populations before releasing and probably had really
good facilities to raise the birds.

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4868030 12/26/13 10:23 PM
D
DuckedUp Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I agree that you cant dump out mature pen raised birds and expect anything but a dismal success rate, but I know of people who have had great success with releasing 5wk old surrogated birds and even had carry over birds through the winter. Like mentioned above though, there are A LOT of other variables to the birds success. You can't release any birds and expect them to survive if you don't have supporting habitat and a pretty firm grip on predator control.

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4930581 01/24/14 05:19 AM
D
dadof5girls Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Your best bet is to look at the science and not various opinions on the forum. Dale Rollins at Rolling Plains Research and Kelly Reyna at UNT Quail are local scientist that will give you sound advice.... Each release program various based on a multitude of needs and it's best not to speculate but build what is needed. 10 years ago people though you had to remove your cattle completely to recover your quail population.. Only good scientific data and a site study can really help unless you have 3000 acres at your disposal.

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4947121 02/01/14 01:53 PM
J
J Herrera Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I agree with DuckedUp. 5 week old birds seem to do ok down here in south central Texas.

Thanks,
John
Re: Stocking quail [Re: Whiptail] #4947619 02/01/14 07:28 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Whiptail

I've wondered what game departments did in the past to have success
with introducing new species like Pheasants and Chukars as I'm sure
many of those first birds were pen raised. I suspect they nuked
the predator populations before releasing and probably had really
good facilities to raise the birds.

I went on a TPWD drawn pheasant hunt at Granger lake with my Brittany in the 1980s. TPWD stocked about 50 wild Pheasant and several thousand pen raised Pheasants. Being corps land I seem to remember the irony that there was no trapping or predator hunting allowed. Birds were taken, but the birds did not take hold and the program failed.The hunts were only offered in the Type I book for three years. I think for any chance of success the birds stocked must be entirely wild trapped.

TPWD is stocking Turkey at Gus Engeling again this year BTW. The birds are wild trapped from a number of different states.

Last edited by Sniper John; 02/05/14 04:15 AM.
Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4947788 02/01/14 10:00 PM
C
Coldwind Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I heard reports of a few wild pheasants still being seen near Granger Lake, after 30 years from release year. I have a relative that lives near Winnie, Texas (Chambers county) and he says that they are still a few wild pheasants in that area even though they closed the season two years ago. They are mostly seen on ranches and farm where no hunting is allowed.

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4951922 02/04/14 12:53 AM
B
Bud1Pointer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Pheasants, Huns and Chuckers are not native to the United States yet there are wild populations of all 3 in states north of here. I think that alone proves that it is possible. Quail require 3 basic things to survive, food, water, and cover. Without any one of those forget it! That being said I believe a little predator control goes a long way. I mean animals that can actually catch quail and destroy their nest. Coons, skunks, snakes, possums, rats, wild hogs,and bobcats, all of these can hurt your quail population. A little over 10 years ago I released over 200 banded birds on a section and a half outside of Big Spring. I had made some changes to the property to help catch and hold water. All the cattle were removed. The birds were released at 4 different times at 6 weeks of age, during a summer we had lots of grasshoppers and no torrential rains. The first batch was released the end of June, the last the end of August. Opening weekend of quail season in November we shot some banded birds along with some wild birds. In December we did the same, we did the same again the last weekend of season ( we only hunted it 3 times) In April I saw a wild male paired up with a banded female. All of the pen raised birds busted and flew with wild birds. I might also add that when 2 of the groups were released I had located wild coveys with a dog and busted them and released the 6 week old birds into the area. I really think that helped. What feed I put out was in the dirt road( No feeders) I know it will work we harvested over 40 banded birds that season, and I know for a fact that at least 1 other survived. Couldn't tell you how many didn't make it but I also know some didn't.

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4952596 02/04/14 01:31 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It's my understanding that bobwhite quail can survive without ground water.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Bud1Pointer] #4952625 02/04/14 01:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Bud1Pointer
Pheasants, Huns and Chuckers are not native to the United States yet there are wild populations of all 3 in states north of here. I think that alone proves that it is possible. Quail require 3 basic things to survive, food, water, and cover. Without any one of those forget it! That being said I believe a little predator control goes a long way. I mean animals that can actually catch quail and destroy their nest. Coons, skunks, snakes, possums, rats, wild hogs,and bobcats, all of these can hurt your quail population. A little over 10 years ago I released over 200 banded birds on a section and a half outside of Big Spring. I had made some changes to the property to help catch and hold water. All the cattle were removed. The birds were released at 4 different times at 6 weeks of age, during a summer we had lots of grasshoppers and no torrential rains. The first batch was released the end of June, the last the end of August. Opening weekend of quail season in November we shot some banded birds along with some wild birds. In December we did the same, we did the same again the last weekend of season ( we only hunted it 3 times) In April I saw a wild male paired up with a banded female. All of the pen raised birds busted and flew with wild birds. I might also add that when 2 of the groups were released I had located wild coveys with a dog and busted them and released the 6 week old birds into the area. I really think that helped. What feed I put out was in the dirt road( No feeders) I know it will work we harvested over 40 banded birds that season, and I know for a fact that at least 1 other survived. Couldn't tell you how many didn't make it but I also know some didn't.

That's interesting. I have often wondered why TPWD and the private groups didn't put more of their efforts towards restocking. I just assumed it was because it wouldn't work.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Stocking quail [Re: Texan 65] #4952656 02/04/14 01:59 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
They did it years ago and stopped.

[Linked Image]

Re: Stocking quail [Re: bill oxner] #4953160 02/04/14 05:36 PM
C
Coldwind Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
In stocking quail or pheasant to have some success we have to look at the genetics or source of the brood stock (parents of the pen raised birds).

Years ago I was able to get hold to some quail eggs and hatch them in a small incubator, those eggs can from wild quail (F1). The moment those wild quail hatched out they were wild , wary and alert. Much wilder than the other jumbo quail that may have 15 or 20 generations in the pen. Main point, if we have to use pen raised quail for stocking we need to trap 100 authentic wild quail and put them in a pen to lay eggs and use their chicks as brood stock for release.

That same thing is true if we want to get wild pheasants started. We already have wild pheasants in the Texas panhandle and in scattered pockets around the state. Years ago they used wilder strains of the ringneck pheasant like the Manchurian pheasant, the White-Winged pheasant also call the Bianchi pheasant or Afghan Whitewing pheasant and maybe a few of the Sichuan or Strauchi Pheasant see article below:
http://amarillo.com/stories/2001/12/02/whe_legionsofspo.shtml

Wild pheasants from those stocking 50 years ago are now seen south of Lubbock. With good spring and summer rains the panhandle quail and pheasant should bounce back.
I have also heard report from a co-worker that sometime see wild pheasants S. W. of Dallas in Johnson county and N. W. of Dallas in Wise County.

If 500 wild strain pheasants were stocked in those two counties and not hunted for 4 or 5 years, I think they can get started. Wild pheasant and quail in Texas need undisturbed nesting cover and timely spring and summer rains more than they need grain. Green grassy cover and insects.

Last edited by Coldwind; 02/04/14 05:56 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide