Print Thread
When to spay #4720462 11/05/13 02:31 AM
_
_Lee Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
_
I just got a 6 month old female lab last week and was wondering what y'all's opinion was on when to spay her. Vet says before first heat and a lot of the things I read online say after first heat or 2.

Re: When to spay [Re: _Lee] #4720600 11/05/13 03:07 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I tell all my clients to wait until the growth plates are closed around 18 months to 2 years of age. Hormones play a big part in skeletal development.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: When to spay [Re: Angie B] #4728980 11/07/13 06:15 PM
C
curt o Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Angie B
I tell all my clients to wait until the growth plates are closed around 18 months to 2 years of age. Hormones play a big part in skeletal development.

Angie

This

Patience is the key
Re: When to spay [Re: curt o] #4729167 11/07/13 07:15 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've always had mine done before the first heat.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: When to spay [Re: Angie B] #4734543 11/09/13 11:39 PM
_
_Lee Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
_
Originally Posted By: Angie B

Angie

Half the people say this , the other half are like Bill and say they do it before the first heat

Re: When to spay [Re: _Lee] #4734657 11/10/13 12:57 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I simply don't want to put up with the first heat, and I've had no problems that I know of by doing it that way.

I did raise two litters of pups before I started spaying them early.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: When to spay [Re: bill oxner] #4734806 11/10/13 01:59 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
http://www.akcchf.org/research/funded-research/1488.html

"With 2,018 cases for Labrador Retrievers, analyses resulted in more frequent statistical significance, profiling an impact of neutering, particularly on musculoskeletal disorders. Hip dysplasia was significantly increased in both sexes and elbow dysplasia in males. The study involving a differentiation between neutering done at 1 year of age or sooner (early), and that done after 1 year (late), in Goldens was very telling. When all three musculoskeletal disorders were combined to determine the risk of an early neutered dog acquiring at least one of these disorders, there was a risk of about 25% in males and 20% in females, compared to a 5-6% risk in intact dogs."

Re: When to spay [Re: Sniper John] #4734818 11/10/13 02:04 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Related to Vizsla research shared by George Noren.

---------------

A brief synopsis of the significant findings in the analysis of Mast Cell Cancer occurrence in the Vizsla.

Mast Cell Cancer occurrence is significantly higher in the spay / neuter Vizsla when compared to the non spay/ neuter Vizsla.

The hazard of having Mast Cell cancer increased by 79.5% when the Vizsla was spayed or neutered compared to those dogs who were not altered

Mast Cell Cancer when it occurs in the non-altered Vizsla does so at a significantly later age than it does in the altered Vizsla.

The estimated hazard of Mast Cell cancer increased by 103.5% when spayed or neutered at or before 6 months of age. The increase was 83.9% when the Vizsla was altered at age one or later.

Controls were done for gender and other age of spayed or neutered categories.

All of the separate analyses revealed that there was no difference between male and female.

i.e. Mast Cell Cancer in the unaltered Vizsla ( Male vs. Female ) etc.- findings are not gender specific”.

Re: When to spay [Re: Sniper John] #4737123 11/11/13 01:55 AM
C
Charles Smith II Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Angie and John are right on target. There are too many animal rights (bunny huggers)that advocate early spay/neuter. As an ex-breeder, I found that my bitches handle spaying better that the males handle neutering. I might as well sign a death warrant on my males if I neuter them.

Back on topic...per Angie...two years. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Re: When to spay [Re: Charles Smith II] #4739951 11/12/13 12:10 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=10498

Here's another study on why not to neuter early.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: When to spay [Re: _Lee] #5348861 10/08/14 07:36 PM
K
kindall Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Just bumping this for the other spay thread.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: When to spay [Re: Sniper John] #5352388 10/10/14 03:46 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Related to Vizsla research shared by George Noren.

---------------

A brief synopsis of the significant findings in the analysis of Mast Cell Cancer occurrence in the Vizsla.

Mast Cell Cancer occurrence is significantly higher in the spay / neuter Vizsla when compared to the non spay/ neuter Vizsla.

The hazard of having Mast Cell cancer increased by 79.5% when the Vizsla was spayed or neutered compared to those dogs who were not altered

Mast Cell Cancer when it occurs in the non-altered Vizsla does so at a significantly later age than it does in the altered Vizsla.

The estimated hazard of Mast Cell cancer increased by 103.5% when spayed or neutered at or before 6 months of age. The increase was 83.9% when the Vizsla was altered at age one or later.

Controls were done for gender and other age of spayed or neutered categories.

All of the separate analyses revealed that there was no difference between male and female.

i.e. Mast Cell Cancer in the unaltered Vizsla ( Male vs. Female ) etc.- findings are not gender specific”.

Sniper, I have two V's and looked at the study you posted on the other thread and quoted in this one, and the results from the study show a surprising thing to me...spaying/neutering at less than 12 months was much better than spaying/neutering after 12 months, and even more so for the sub 6 month group.

When looking at the incidences of diseases they detailed, the rates were many times lower or equal in the less than 6 month group to the natural group (and several diseases where the natural group was worse than the sub 6 month group). The only areas where the natural group was superior to the sub 6 month group were in the age of disease onset, but we were talking dogs in the 12+ yo range at the disease onset for all diseases AND the average age of death was no different for all groups.

The behavior traits they detailed showed an increase risk of fear of storms in dogs which were spayed/neutered at early age, but there could be confounding issues involved in behavioral traits such as whether a dog is house dog or kennel dog which could go along with being spayed/neutered early. However, when looking at all behavioral issues, natural dogs had twice to three times the incidence versus spayed/neutered dogs at any time.

The overall numbers of dogs that actually developed disease were very low in this study, so the numbers may show different results with a larger study, BUT, it appears the overall take from this study is spay/neuter early (before 6 months) in Viszlas and don't do it after 12 months old.

And, be ready for your viszla to jump into bed with you when there is a storm (mine already jump in bed almost every night anyway bang )

Re: When to spay [Re: _Lee] #5357393 10/13/14 04:40 PM
S
Sam in the Hills Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I love this thread- Our breeder won't release papers on our spay/ neuter contract unless our pup is spayed by 7 months- she irks me to no end- She tried to sell me breeding rights to a dog with two obvious breed faults- I bought the dog because I liked her looks and temperament- I never intend to breed her- but she also won't be spayed before age 2...and I could care less about the papers.

Visions Ranch and Wildlife
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide