C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: Curly
Originally Posted By: aeb
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
... I'm so tired of the minority of people running everything.

I was tired of my neighbors shooting anything that moved.

were they breaking any laws or just not hunting the way you wanted them to?

confused2

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: Texas Dan] #4728895 11/07/13 05:56 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: cameron00
They'd easily pass.

It's a loud minority against them.

What he said.

Before AR's were first adopted, a season never passed when you would not hear someone say that the hunting would never get better until people "stop shooting any buck they see." Antler restrictions have been the best solution yet at making that happen.

The same folks would shoot 14-15" wide 2yos and act as if they were somehow better for waiting a yr. They can still do it and quite a few do bc they have problems eating tag soup.

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: Hoytman] #4728902 11/07/13 05:57 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Hoytman
AEB its obvious u know nothing about hopkins co. Lived and hunted on same property for 26yrs now so i think that makes me a little more informed than you. PROVE ME WRONG. i wouldnt ever make a statement like yours about u if the regs werent working for you.

I too have hunted the same property and from the same blind for over 25 years and have seen a decline in numbers since the start of AR's. There are no more mature bucks killed now than there were before ARs. Exactly how many years does it take for them to work? You can't take a county in East Texas that was 1 buck and 0 doe and take it to 2 buck and 2 doe and expect it to maintain. And the folks that think they are great could not care less about our real-world experiences with them. They would rather speculate from half way across the state. As long as they like them to heck with everybody else.

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: BowSlayer] #4728939 11/07/13 06:04 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
AEB its obvious u know nothing about hopkins co. Lived and hunted on same property for 26yrs now so i think that makes me a little more informed than you. PROVE ME WRONG. i wouldnt ever make a statement like yours about u if the regs werent working for you.

I too have hunted the same property and from the same blind for over 25 years and have seen a decline in numbers since the start of AR's. There are no more mature bucks killed now than there were before ARs. Exactly how many years does it take for them to work? You can't take a county in East Texas that was 1 buck and 0 doe and take it to 2 buck and 2 doe and expect it to maintain. And the folks that think they are great could not care less about our real-world experiences with them. They would rather speculate from half way across the state. As long as they like them to heck with everybody else.

Question- why should those that like them have to suffer because of those that don't?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: stxranchman] #4728948 11/07/13 06:06 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Question- why should those that like them have to suffer because of those that don't?

We didn't have them for 25 years and I don't remember "suffering" one time. The folks that wanted to hunt trophy deer did and most of them killed them. The ones that wanted meat shot the first buck they saw and fed their family with it. But to answer your question, because I believe the majority of people don't want them.

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: BowSlayer] #4728953 11/07/13 06:07 PM
817cd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
IMO if it were a public vote ARs would not be in favor. Too many hunters who do or will not understand management or aging deer. The majority would rather shoot and not worry. Human nature is to be selfish, why worry about the future or your neighbors deer when this one is front of you. The same thing is going on with water laws. People in the city's water yards 12 times a week while farmers wells are running dry. Human nature and history show us that unless we take the time to educate and learn about conservation the majority just don't care enough to think beyond today or there own future.

TPWD put the law in place because of research not because its popular or not. If TPWD biologist didn't' think it would help they wouldn't do it. Like most laws and regulations especially hunting and fishing there is room for interpretation by officers and citizens. The lines are fuzzy because your judging a live animal in most cases from 100 yards away. There was thread here recently about a game warden making an obvious exception to ARs because the buck needed to be shot and the hunter was honest and forthright. Anyway just my two cents.

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Never used photoshop and never will. Photoshop is for liberals.

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: EastTexun] #4728962 11/07/13 06:09 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I love ARs-we've got more big bucks running around than ever before. But they would get soundly voted down in a popular vote.

I'm against easing ARs for youth hunts too. Not every deer you see is going to be a shooter and it teaches them that hunting is more about just lining one up and pulling the trigger. If it is so important that a kid kills a deer, then there is nothing wrong with him/her taking a spike, doe, or 13"+ deer.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: 817cd] #4728963 11/07/13 06:09 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: 817cd
IMO if it were a public vote ARs would not be in favor. Too many hunters who do or will not understand management or aging deer. The majority would rather shoot and not worry. Human nature is to be selfish, why worry about the future or your neighbors deer when this one is front of you. The same thing is going on with water laws. People in the city's water yards 12 times a week while farmers wells are running dry. Human nature and history show us that unless we take the time to educate and learn about conservation the majority just don't care enough to think beyond today or there own future.

TPWD put the law in place because of research not because its popular or not. If TPWD biologist didn't' think it would help they wouldn't do it. Like most laws and regulations especially hunting and fishing there is room for interpretation by officers and citizens. The lines are fuzzy because your judging a live animal in most cases from 100 yards away. There was thread here recently about a game warden making an obvious exception to ARs because the buck needed to be shot and the hunter was honest and forthright. Anyway just my two cents.

I would love to see some research, any research that was done in Rusk County. Can you tell me where to look for it? I would love to read it.

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: stxranchman] #4728971 11/07/13 06:11 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
And the same can be said why should those that dont like em have to suffer because of those that do? Never said i want to change anybody elses regs in countys i have NEVER hunted before and have NO CLUE if its working or not. Im not against the AR rules as much as the bag limit and the population decline in our county. STXRANCHMAN all i want is for em to work in my county as well as they do in your county.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: stxranchman] #4728984 11/07/13 06:16 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C

and visa-versa

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: Curly] #4728993 11/07/13 06:19 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I ask this question to just about everyone I talk to about hunting weather it be a friend or passing though a random feed store or what have you.... it would win a popular vote... I never want it to be taken out of our county or any around it

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: Hoytman] #4728997 11/07/13 06:20 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
My dad hunted the same property I hunt now all through the 70s and 80s. He killed big mature deer every year. He had many of them in the newspaper, I still have some of the paper clippings. How in the world he did that during a time when Big Brother wasn't telling us what deer to shoot I'll never know. Apparently it's not possible to kill big bucks in East Texas without TP&W breathing down your neck. I think the difference is that now people are so spoiled that they don't want to put in the time and effort it takes to kill a big one. It's much easier to tell your neighbor what not to shoot so that your trophy hunt will not take as much effort.

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: Navasot] #4729002 11/07/13 06:21 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Navasot
I ask this question to just about everyone I talk to about hunting weather it be a friend or passing though a random feed store or what have you.... it would win a popular vote... I never want it to be taken out of our county or any around it

You might be right. Who knows? I sure wish they would do it so we could see what the people really want.

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: rifleman] #4729003 11/07/13 06:22 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: cameron00
They'd easily pass.

It's a loud minority against them.

What he said.

Before AR's were first adopted, a season never passed when you would not hear someone say that the hunting would never get better until people "stop shooting any buck they see." Antler restrictions have been the best solution yet at making that happen.

The same folks would shoot 14-15" wide 2yos and act as if they were somehow better for waiting a yr. They can still do it and quite a few do bc they have problems eating tag soup.

leaves a bad after taste... why I shoot doe when I can

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: BowSlayer] #4729005 11/07/13 06:23 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

You might be right. Who knows? I sure wish they would do it so we could see what the people really want.

I 100% agree with you. I also think it should be voted on by each county.

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: BowSlayer] #4729006 11/07/13 06:23 PM
817cd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I have no idea if they did research in your county. I wasn't defending their research in individual counties. Im sure they did some sort of sampling of areas at least that have ARs showing that if it works in one area it should work in others. I never said anything about it working or not. That depends highly on your definition of working. I am simply for management and IMO I think it will be beneficial in the long run. Whether any of us think it works or not at this point IMO is premature. I really don't know why anyone would want to shoot a buck smaller than 13" for meat spikes and does are a lot easier to hunt and taste better - basket bucks whose racks never spread over 13" there should be some sort of exception to the rule here.

I can not point you in the direction of research in your area.

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Never used photoshop and never will. Photoshop is for liberals.

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: Curly] #4729007 11/07/13 06:23 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: aeb
... I'm so tired of the minority of people running everything.

I was tired of my neighbors shooting anything that moved.

were they breaking any laws or just not hunting the way you wanted them to?

confused2

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: Navasot] #4729013 11/07/13 06:25 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B

Absolutely it should be at each County and not a blanket vote for all.

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: BowSlayer] #4729023 11/07/13 06:28 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Absolutely it should be at each County and not a blanket vote for all.

I agree it should be a county by county basis. I know of a couple of counties that it would a landslide vote in favor of keeping the AR's in place.

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: stxranchman] #4729027 11/07/13 06:30 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
and I probably know a couple counties where it wouldn't...your point? popcorn

Last edited by Curly; 11/07/13 06:31 PM.
Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: Curly] #4729031 11/07/13 06:31 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
and I probably know some where it wouldn't...your point? popcorn

Yours? popcorn
Nice edit popcorn

Last edited by stxranchman; 11/07/13 06:32 PM.

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: stxranchman] #4729033 11/07/13 06:32 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B

Yours? popcorn

I don't think there is going to be enough popcorn to go around. smile

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: BowSlayer] #4729038 11/07/13 06:33 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Yours? popcorn

I don't think there is going to be enough popcorn to go around. smile

cheers popcorn

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: stxranchman] #4729041 11/07/13 06:33 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
popcorn

Re: Would AR's pass a popular vote? [Re: Curly] #4729044 11/07/13 06:34 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N