Forums46
Topics537,708
Posts9,727,982
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4638291 10/07/13 08:15 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
The point is to enjoy the outdoors-which is impossible while you are jacking around with your cellphone.

i agree with you sir, but thats just not the point of hunting for everyone, whether thats good or bad isnt the.....point. grin

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: jshouse] #4638313 10/07/13 08:25 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I'm 66 and have been hunting for 52 years...while I used to stalk and ambush, it sure feels good to sit in a nice warm blind eating twinkies, sipping on a cup of coffee and uploading my pics on snapbucket....you old goon. I bet you clean you deer with a piece of rock too. roflmao

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: billybob] #4638336 10/07/13 08:33 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
There's a reason god made technology.......its so the oldtimers wouldn't tell their stories about how they walked to school up hill both ways, and bore us out of our minds like we even care. Damn those oldtimers, that some how learned how to use computers. stir

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 10/07/13 08:35 PM.
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: jshouse] #4638355 10/07/13 08:36 PM
N
NTX270 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: jshouse
The point is to enjoy the outdoors-which is impossible while you are jacking around with your cellphone.

i agree with you sir, but thats just not the point of hunting for everyone, whether thats good or bad isnt the.....point. grin

It may be pointless to point out the points even if the points are well taken points.

Originally Posted By: Navasot
fuel, beer, snuff
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Kenneth1977] #4638425 10/07/13 09:00 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My favorite hunting magazine is Deer and Deer Hunting for the wealth of information it provides on deer behavior. The true art of hunting requires a strategy that tests the hunters knowledge and understanding of that behavior in order to maximize their potential for success. How much does a person really need to know about deer behavior in order to wait for one to show up and eat from a feeder or food plot?

IMO, the amount of time and knowledge that was put into your strategy is the best indication of how much hunting has gone into the effort.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: jshouse] #4638430 10/07/13 09:00 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

It is called multi-tasking. I would rather be jacking around on my phone while enjoying the outdoors, than sitting in a fluffy chair. From my previous threads, it is obvious I take the phone to the stand and use it. Want to figure the amount of time I am on my phone compared to enjoying the woods?

Part of hunting that I enjoy is sharing it with others. I enjoy reading others post while they are in the stand and don't think it takes away from the hunt at all.

As far as feeders and stands go, I enjoy those too. Beats the hell out of a bucket or stump to sit on and seeing one deer. Just because something is easier, doesn't make it less of hunting. When you do it the hard way, it does make it feel like more of an accomplishment.

Still hunting is awesome, if you rifle hunt. Can be damn challenging if you are a bow only guy. I think it is important to show the up-n-comers the old ways, learn to read signs, learn to set up on crossings and pinch points, but I truly believe just getting them in the woods is a success.

Judge away and degrade those that do it different than you, I could care less. I don't hunt to survive, I hunt because I enjoy it. If at a giving time, that means I am sitting in a heated box with a feeder at 110 yards and arguing with some old folks about "how much better it used to be", then so be it.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Texas Dan] #4638436 10/07/13 09:01 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
My favorite hunting magazine is Deer and Deer Hunting for the wealth of information it provides on deer behavior. The true art of hunting requires a strategy that tests the hunters knowledge and understanding of that behavior in order to maximize their potential for success. How much does a person really know about deer behavior in order to wait for one to show up and eat from a trough?

So you can just stick a feeder out and kill any deer you want at any given time?

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: S.A. hunter] #4638444 10/07/13 09:03 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: S.A. hunter
There's a reason god made technology.......its so the oldtimers wouldn't tell their stories about how they walked to school up hill both ways, and bore us out of our minds like we even care. Damn those oldtimers, that some how learned how to use computers. stir

Damn those oldtimers, that they some how created computers, cell phones, etc. stir

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: txshntr] #4638450 10/07/13 09:04 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr
My favorite hunting magazine is Deer and Deer Hunting for the wealth of information it provides on deer behavior. The true art of hunting requires a strategy that tests the hunters knowledge and understanding of that behavior in order to maximize their potential for success. How much does a person really know about deer behavior in order to wait for one to show up and eat from a trough?

So you can just stick a feeder out and kill any deer you want at any given time?

Unless the acorns are falling....God forbid stir

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #4638466 10/07/13 09:09 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I remember way back, I had never hunted from a blind, had not even heard of feeders, walked a lot and sat on a lot of rocks and froze my butt off. BUT back then I hunted Sheffield in some places I could see miles and miles. now I hunt Strawn we have lots of cattle on the place (that could be on the back side of any cedar tree) and other hunters on a small piece of land so it wouldn't really be safe. AND I'm gettin old so it's nice to sit in a blind with a heater between my legs and wait for deer to come to me.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #4638491 10/07/13 09:14 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Bet y'all also hate small food plots, TC's, scopes, silencers, four wheelers, chain-on stands, ladder stands, tripods, binoculars....

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Hunt2Fish] #4638564 10/07/13 09:35 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I would love to hunt in the manner in which you described but unfortunately it just isn't an option where I am hunting. Yes I am on a lease and it is just too dangerous to be stalking around and risk being the casualty of an accidental hunting accident.

When I started hunting back in the very early 80's we hunted just as you described. It was on public and Lumber company land. Back then not everyone and their brother knew where this land was so it was not nearly as crowded especially after the first two weekends. I enjoyed it quite a bit more then even though the chance of shooting anything that would be considered a trophy by todays standards was pretty thin, basically non-existent. But the hunting was a lot more enjoyable!

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: txshntr] #4638570 10/07/13 09:36 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Granted, deer hunting is in no way as challenging as rocket science. But the way we most often hunt them today in Texas is much easier than it was when these words were first spoken. What has happened to the American spirit we once had?

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Deerhunter61] #4638574 10/07/13 09:37 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Oh and by the way public land etc has become way too dangerous at least it was when I quit hunting it years ago after they came out with type II and I had a half dozen rounds fly over my head one right after the other.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Texas Dan] #4638583 10/07/13 09:40 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I dont think the "spirit" has gone anywhere...I think the cost has just skyrocketed and there have been changes which unless you are wealthy enough to own your own land it is either too dangerous or to expensive.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4638633 10/07/13 09:55 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

good point

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: Deerhunter61] #4638638 10/07/13 09:56 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
We hunted out of tree stands, froze our a** off and had no feeders growing up. Camp was an old school bus dad bought off the church for a hundred bucks and put some beds in. No water, no power, no restrooms.

I LOVED it!!!

Now, we have blinds, feeders, nice place to stay, walkin cooler, etc..

I love it too!
But I do miss the days of my youth for sure.
Is it just nostalgia? Time with my brother, uncles and dad?

We are on 6500 acres. We are not alone in it and are restricted to our area so to speak.
I would give up feeders, stands, etc.. in a nano second to be able to go hunt wherever, however I wanted. But.. I can't, so I make the best of it as is.

And I am dying to get out there!

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: jshouse] #4638639 10/07/13 09:57 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Another good point. grin

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #4638678 10/07/13 10:10 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I've hunted both ways and been successful both ways... unfortunately, the environment dictates the hunting style... just wouldn't be wise to spot & stalk on our current place...too small.

But I do agree....there's nothing like taking your gun into the bush and hunting a deer...I've killed plenty with the old Win 30/30 open sights...shot my first buck that way on the Brazos west of Graham...I miss those days.

Last edited by Schpanky; 10/07/13 10:11 PM.
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: txshntr] #4638692 10/07/13 10:15 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

It is called multi-tasking. I would rather be jacking around on my phone while enjoying the outdoors, than sitting in a fluffy chair. From my previous threads, it is obvious I take the phone to the stand and use it. Want to figure the amount of time I am on my phone compared to enjoying the woods?

Part of hunting that I enjoy is sharing it with others. I enjoy reading others post while they are in the stand and don't think it takes away from the hunt at all.

As far as feeders and stands go, I enjoy those too. Beats the hell out of a bucket or stump to sit on and seeing one deer. Just because something is easier, doesn't make it less of hunting. When you do it the hard way, it does make it feel like more of an accomplishment.

Still hunting is awesome, if you rifle hunt. Can be damn challenging if you are a bow only guy. I think it is important to show the up-n-comers the old ways, learn to read signs, learn to set up on crossings and pinch points, but I truly believe just getting them in the woods is a success.

Judge away and degrade those that do it different than you, I could care less. I don't hunt to survive, I hunt because I enjoy it. If at a giving time, that means I am sitting in a heated box with a feeder at 110 yards and arguing with some old folks about "how much better it used to be", then so be it.
I can take you to a pinch point at my lease that I can almost guarantee more than one a day, sometimes up to 20, but I see your point. There y'all happy, I said Point.

The thread started with all the acorn threads and the, "well we're screwed now, the acorns are falling" attitude. Par for the course around here its turned into something else, but that's what makes the forum fun. cheers

point

Last edited by 8pointdrop; 10/07/13 10:16 PM.
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: txshntr] #4638701 10/07/13 10:18 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

I like this part.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: txshntr] #4638715 10/07/13 10:23 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Uh, negative.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #4638754 10/07/13 10:40 PM
A
ACKHNTR Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter
I'm trying to figure out where I said one way was "better" than another or one person was more of a "hunter" than another. I initially made a comment about the sport in general and the changes I see. Lot of touchy guys around here. confused2

Title says it all. If the title doesn't say it then the paragraph surely says it.

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: jshouse] #4638822 10/07/13 11:02 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Uh, negative.

clap I was waiting for the response that it typically receives, then BAM!!! I was gonna nail them with you rofl

Re: Sad Commentary on What Deer Hunting Has Become [Re: 8pointdrop] #4638825 10/07/13 11:03 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop

I can take you to a pinch point at my lease that I can almost guarantee more than one a day, sometimes up to 20, but I see your point. There y'all happy, I said Point.

The thread started with all the acorn threads and the, "well we're screwed now, the acorns are falling" attitude. Par for the course around here its turned into something else, but that's what makes the forum fun. cheers

point

I can take you to a stump and you won't see a deer, but it will be hard. I will sit at your pinch point in trade and take the easy way cheers

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide