Print Thread
Lab chewing up birds #4555638 09/10/13 03:10 PM
R
rkj01 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
I have a 11 yr old lab thats been retrieving dove for 10 yrs with no problems. I take him hunting for the first time this year Sunday and he starts chewing up birds. Hes never done this before any ideas on why now. Last year he did accidentaly eat a bird while we were cleaning some but never chewed any later that year.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: rkj01] #4557934 09/11/13 04:51 AM
V
vicktury Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
V
hes turned vampire!!

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: vicktury] #4558057 09/11/13 11:06 AM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Mine did the same this year, just keep taking him and correcting him when he does it. Don't give him time to think about it too much, as soon as he picks up the bird start giving commands here,here. If you have a collar it would be "here", then a light nick, "here".

Easier at home with a bunch of wings taped together, working hold. Have him heel and give him the wing making him hold them without chewing.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: 8pointdrop] #4573428 09/16/13 09:30 PM
F
fftony Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
I was taught by an elderly man years ago how to break them of it quickly. It sounds cruel but it only takes about three to four throws of their dummy. Take their Dummy wrap it in chicken wire. Take wire cutters and cit the chicken wire so that you can make spikes that stick up like needles. Three to four throws and they will have a soft mouth forever.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: fftony] #4573473 09/16/13 09:45 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Beat the crap out of him next time he eats a bird.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: scalebuster] #4573496 09/16/13 09:50 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
If my dog was 11 years old, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just be glad to still have him in the field.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: scalebuster] #4573676 09/16/13 11:23 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: scalebuster

This, and shoot a magnum 44 over pups head to see if they are gun shy before bringing them home.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: scalebuster] #4573815 09/17/13 12:12 AM
R
rkj01 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
He got a whoopin but he didnt eat the bird just chewed it up before releasing it to me. This dog has retrieved hundreds of dove with out ever doing this.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: bill oxner] #4573852 09/17/13 12:25 AM
P
Pastor Josh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

This, and shoot a magnum 44 over pups head to see if they are gun shy before bringing them home.

Same guys use 7 1/2's to the rear of a pointer that breaks on a point.

The wild life of today is not ours to do with as we please. The original stock was given to us in trust for the benefit both of the present and the future. We must render an accounting of this trust to those who come after us.

-Teddy
Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: Pastor Josh] #4574463 09/17/13 02:43 AM
B
Bigjoe8504 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Pastor Josh

Yeah and some people use a 22 in the head to hounds that run trash.. don't make it right... pretty sure u were being facetious but just in case...

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: Pastor Josh] #4574531 09/17/13 03:11 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I don't see any suggestions from you two smartasses. What would y'all do hold its paw and have a conversation with the dog. Maybe you two could put him in time out to show that you don't like him chomping birds. Are you two the hunters that only get invites to hunt if you agree to leave your dogs at home? I've hunted with people that can't control their animals and think they're doing a great job. Maybe you are the type that constantly yells at their dog expecting them to know English and can't figure out why they don't learn anything.

I beleive when my dogs aren't doing what I want them to do I correct it. If they are an older dog that knows better the penalty is harsh.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: scalebuster] #4574928 09/17/13 12:21 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Okay, it was tongue in cheek. The dog is 11 years old. I'd just live with the problem for a couple more years.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: bill oxner] #4574977 09/17/13 12:48 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Over half of the dogs that reach 10 years old have some canine cognitive dysfunction. Two years ago I watched what use to be a great goose hunting dog on his last hunt. Mid hunt he took off to the next field over and started chasing geese. He ran back and forth putting them in the air till we thought he would he fall out from exhaustion. There was no calling him or catching him till he was through. He had showed some signs that his hunting days were over before this, but not to this extreme.
Your not going to fix what age has taken away.
Either retire him, or deal with a few chewed on dove.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: scalebuster] #4575088 09/17/13 01:30 PM
B
Bigjoe8504 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

I don't see any suggestions from you two smartasses. What would y'all do hold its paw and have a conversation with the dog. Maybe you two could put him in time out to show that you don't like him chomping birds. Are you two the hunters that only get invites to hunt if you agree to leave your dogs at home? I've hunted with people that can't control their animals and think they're doing a great job. Maybe you are the type that constantly yells at their dog expecting them to know English and can't figure out why they don't learn anything.

I beleive when my dogs aren't doing what I want them to do I correct it. If they are an older dog that knows better the penalty is harsh.
Honestly for bird dogs it's been proven time and time again that "beating sense into the dog" does more harm than good.

The fact the dog is 11 means it is probably on it's last leg of life and is just doing whatever he wants now. Trying to correct him now is nothing but abusive and mean. Either live with him chewing from time to time (maybe try minor corrections) or don't take him any more. Either way if you wish to continue hunting with a dog, its about time to start looking for a replacement. It wouldn't be my choice, but the other option is to give him to a rescue or euthanize...

I've been around hounds most of my life, when they got this age, they tend to just let the younger dogs do whatever their least favorite part is, if they don't like the track, they'll let the younger dogs track. If they don't feel like fighting, they let the younger dogs go in for the kill. When you witness this, it's time to retire the dog and just hunt other dogs.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: Bigjoe8504] #4575252 09/17/13 02:36 PM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
My lab was BAD about chewing birds. Sounds crazy but I taped wings to a green pine cone and played happy fetch with him a few days. Problem solved.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: fowlplayr] #4576135 09/17/13 07:07 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Lot of crap on this thread and I think the answer has been missed. The cause is in your question IMHO.

"Accidentally ate a bird". Honestly that was probably it. Like a steady pointer that one day gets enticed by a running bird and catches his first bird ever. That is all it takes. The lightbulb came on in the pointer's tiny brain, "Whoa I can actually catch them!" And if the experience was fun and rewarding when he did it, he will try to catch one again. Your dog was probably really hungry and after having a positive experience when he ate one last year, it conditioned him to do it again when he felt the need. I am not sure I would even bother fixing it if my 11 year old dog. After 10 years of retrieving and faithful companionship all I would care about is if the dog is happy, I am happy.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: Sniper John] #4576367 09/17/13 08:36 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
I had a pointer one time that did the same thing. She had found and retrieved hundreds of birds and then one day as she got older she started eating them. I told my old mentor about what was going on and he advised me to keep 4-5 dead birds in my game bag before I turned her out. He said to "make sure she likes the taste of them" meaning once she starts eating a bird, stuff 4-5 birds down her throat right behind it. It took one session of this and she retrieved every bird from them on from the outer reaches of her lips. She hardly would ever put a tooth on them after that.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #4581502 09/19/13 12:28 PM
R
rkj01 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Thanks for all the usefull comments. To those with the ignorant comments this is why i seldom post on here. Why would i euthanize or give my hunting companion to a shelter for chewing a few birds. If he keeps doing this he will be my best yard dog for the rest of his life. I bought BUDDY 11 years ago in october for 150 dollars no fancy health gaurantees i trained him to go get doves for me and hes done a great job through the years.Hes not a field trial dog but im sure proud of him. I also in line to receive a new pup around the first of the year

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: rkj01] #4581869 09/19/13 02:40 PM
txduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I don't understand some of these guys with their sarcastic comments. I guess it keeps them busy.

Anyway, my dog does the same thing - with doves but not ducks - don't know if it's taste or size. Mine is only a little older than one, so he's still learning.

I don't have any ideas on why yours has started at such an old age, especially if he's never done it before.

But, I did talk to a trainer last year and discussed how to stop mine from doing it. And his suggestion was to freeze a whole bird. Use it to retrieve in the yard. You know normal times, maybe 3 to 4 times every day for a week. Then start defrosting the bird, a little the first time, a little more the next, and so on and so on until you are working with a defrosted or bring home a fresh bird. The cold bird is supposed to make them not want to hold it too long because it's cold and there's no smell, etc.

I don't know if your dog falls into the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" since he is just now doing this. But might be worth a shot.

Good luck

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: rkj01] #4582201 09/19/13 04:06 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
You just have to have some thick skin, there are a lot of good do it yourselfers and pros that give good advice.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: MS1454] #4582262 09/19/13 04:28 PM
R
rkj01 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
I appreciate all the good advice. I think hunger might have been one problem because i hadnt fed him that day before we went hunting. Im going to feed him before i hunt the next time and see if that helps. My dog was trained with an E collar but it hasnt worked in a couple years. With a working collar i can fix the problem i think.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: rkj01] #4593987 09/23/13 05:51 PM
B
BlackLabNut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Put rabbit wire on your bumpers. When he bites down it'll make him realize real quick he shouldnt bite down.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: BlackLabNut] #4629687 10/04/13 01:06 PM
R
rkj01 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Update we have been dove hunting 3 times recently and my Lab hasnt chewed any birds. I guess it was just a random thing. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Re: Lab chewing up birds [Re: rkj01] #4629929 10/04/13 02:16 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
My Brit chewed one on opening day. He's never done that.
A boot to the backside and that voice that he hates.

Better now.

However, he's not 11. Scolding your dog is enough.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide