Forums46
Topics537,031
Posts9,719,630
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? #4469210 08/12/13 12:23 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
There have been alot of good videos uploaded in this forum lately.

I was mulling over the idea of starting up some FRIENDLY contests for those who record your NV or Thermal hunts.

No money prizes but rather those who want to "sign up" for the contest would throw in some items to make a winning pot of gear.

Simple rules:

• Video of the kill must be uploaded to this post by the deadline stated
  • Video must be timestamped in some way, if your recorder doesn't do it then just write the date and time on a board and record it as you begin the hunting footage.
  • A photo must be taken after the shot to confirm the hog was taken and it must reasonably match the video, no shooting a monster hog with a photo of a football sized pig laugh
  • No consecutive month winners, this should give all a fair shot at the prize IF hogs are taken.
  • If no hogs are taken all prize items roll over to the next month.
  • Each entrant is responsible for paying to ship the item to the winner, consider it your entry fee - and this should guide what you offer as a prize, i.e. size and weight of item should be reasonable.

So anyhow it's just an idea - could be fun, let me know what you think!

AUGUST 2013 - Contest Information:

For the first contest why don't we just go for Biggest Hog (single entry) be sure to show a photo of the scale weight, if you don't have a scale we will go by measurements and guesstimate BUT you must take measurements!

I was thinking the first dates would be August 21st - 24th with all video and confirmation photos submitted by August 25th 9pm.

Post what items you are offering for the contest and your name to this thread anytime before August 21 to be considered for this months competition.

I'll start in the post below as an example.

Thx,

BB

Last edited by Bennybone; 08/12/13 12:28 AM.
Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4469219 08/12/13 12:26 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Forum Name: Bennybone
Month of Contest: August 2013
Items offered for prize pot: An Uncle Mike's Kydex Holster (Fits CZ style full size guns) and a used OTIS cleaning kit.

Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4469675 08/12/13 02:42 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
So you shot a really big hog this weekend and are challenging us? LOL.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4469700 08/12/13 02:50 AM
B
Believer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
All I saw last night was the back side of a few as the crested a ridge..... but was great to get out after a 3 year drought.

Hogs for a Cause Founder http://www.hogsforacause.org/
NRA Endowment Member
Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: Believer] #4469712 08/12/13 02:54 AM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Lol! What's the smallest hog prize?

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: syncerus] #4469748 08/12/13 03:04 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Oh man, I don't have a recorder. But hope to post some successful hunt pics next weekend!

Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: Texas buckeye] #4469939 08/12/13 04:32 AM
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I think this is a really good idea, but lets expand on it.......
3 categories----
# 1 ---- Largest recorded (as suggested).
Some do record all their kills, but some of us don't want to deal with the equipment required for that.
# 2 ---- Largest non-recorded (no video).
This category opens it up to anyone that can put an animal on the ground and confirm to the Mods what they took.
# 3 ---- Hard Luck --- animal between both categories, either recorded or just ground checked.
------- Cause not every day is successful and alot of ground checked animals don't measure up to the shooters expectations.... BUT they really do count...

I think if you want to be entered you should pony up one donation and let the mods pick where it goes unless the donation comes with a request..... IE-- "This _______ goes to the _________ category person.

Mods --- any thoughts?

PRIVATELY OWNED
TAHC permitted feral swine holding facility.
Serving Gulf Coast and South Texas ranchers, farmers, hunters, and residents with abatement.
Disposal, Traps and in-field pick-up service available.
Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: Kbar Ag Service] #4470207 08/12/13 11:24 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Kbar Ag Service
I think this is a really good idea, but lets expand on it.......
3 categories----
# 1 ---- Largest recorded (as suggested).
Some do record all their kills, but some of us don't want to deal with the equipment required for that.
# 2 ---- Largest non-recorded (no video).
This category opens it up to anyone that can put an animal on the ground and confirm to the Mods what they took.
# 3 ---- Hard Luck --- animal between both categories, either recorded or just ground checked.
------- Cause not every day is successful and alot of ground checked animals don't measure up to the shooters expectations.... BUT they really do count...

I think if you want to be entered you should pony up one donation and let the mods pick where it goes unless the donation comes with a request..... IE-- "This _______ goes to the _________ category person.

Mods --- any thoughts?

Kbar, thanks for the input and I like the thought of expanding to more people however I would like this thread to remain as the recorded hunt category. I am willling to compile the participant list for those small few but I don't have the resources to cover a larger number of members and I don't want to be the guy known for dumping alot of extra work on the Mods. flehan

My thoughts on the recorded hunt contest is:

It does involve a smaller number of members, probably 15 - 20 of us that record

The winning category would change monthly, for example next month would be biggest hog taken with a headshot and then a video to prove it.

Lastly, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I hoped others would see that the money and work involved with recording isn't that bad and that they would get themselves going on that path.

Thx,

BB

Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4470209 08/12/13 11:27 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
So you shot a really big hog this weekend and are challenging us? LOL.

DNS -

Well truth be told, he was so big he didn't fit in the back of the truck or in the frame of the camera to take a picture - He was that BIG muyloco

I am a longshot for winning being that I haven't drilled a pig on video, going on 5 months now but I do enjoy a friendly competition.

Ben

Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4470607 08/12/13 02:20 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I see one thing I might change. It would be nice if it were a month long contest each month instead of a few days. Some folks might want to enter, but if they can't get out on that one chosen weekend they are just in to give a prize. Also, it might be easier for some folks to hunt on weekdays instead of weekends. Have it run all month and make the previous month videos due on the 5th. Something like that.

Just a thought. up

Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: dfwroadkill] #4470695 08/12/13 02:51 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
I see one thing I might change. It would be nice if it were a month long contest each month instead of a few days. Some folks might want to enter, but if they can't get out on that one chosen weekend they are just in to give a prize. Also, it might be easier for some folks to hunt on weekdays instead of weekends. Have it run all month and make the previous month videos due on the 5th. Something like that.

Just a thought. up

This can be arranged for the September hunt.

...and nobody would be just in to give a prize without having entered initially knowing they can't hunt the chosen weekend confused

So far I am competing against myself for the dates in August but in September we can go all month for the "Video of a Headshot" contest... aim

Thx for your comments and post photos of what you offer for the prize pot, be sure to indicate which month you are competing in.

Ben

P.S. - It was mentioned offline to me that DVR time stamps can be set ahead of time for current hunting. I am not wanting to turn this into submission of videos along with blood samples and such. It will be on the honor system. If all agree when you snap the confirmed kill photo put the daily frontpage of your newspaper in the photo as evidence, sheesh.

Last edited by Bennybone; 08/12/13 02:51 PM.
Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4471831 08/12/13 08:46 PM
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog

Kbar, thanks for the input and I like the thought of expanding to more people however I would like this thread to remain as the recorded hunt category. I am willling to compile the participant list for those small few but I don't have the resources to cover a larger number of members and I don't want to be the guy known for dumping alot of extra work on the Mods. flehan

My thoughts on the recorded hunt contest is:

It does involve a smaller number of members, probably 15 - 20 of us that record

The winning category would change monthly, for example next month would be biggest hog taken with a headshot and then a video to prove it.

Lastly, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I hoped others would see that the money and work involved with recording isn't that bad and that they would get themselves going on that path.

Thx,

BB [/quote]

BB,
For what we do, cameras aren't practical.
We shoot long with some guns, we shoot close with others, sometimes we use dogs and gig them when needed....... its constantly changing. No time to setup.

Looking forward to watching the videos and we will pitch in a $25 Academy card for the first run.
BK

PRIVATELY OWNED
TAHC permitted feral swine holding facility.
Serving Gulf Coast and South Texas ranchers, farmers, hunters, and residents with abatement.
Disposal, Traps and in-field pick-up service available.
Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: Kbar Ag Service] #4472037 08/12/13 09:42 PM
HOG RUSH Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I hunt alone some and am more productive when doing so. Will I be able to compete in the hunt?

I do not like time stamps as I might use the footage in promotions.

www.hogrush.com
"There Will Be Blood"
"ONE SHOT...ONE SQUEAL"
Home of "Overlord"
Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: Kbar Ag Service] #4472324 08/12/13 11:09 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Kbar Ag Service

BB,
For what we do, cameras aren't practical.
We shoot long with some guns, we shoot close with others, sometimes we use dogs and gig them when needed....... its constantly changing. No time to setup.

Looking forward to watching the videos and we will pitch in a $25 Academy card for the first run.
BK

Kbar - That is awful generous of you to offer up a gift card and not participate cheers

I completely understand that hunting doesn't lend itself to messing with setup of cameras and equipment, in fact I can think of a few missed opportunities due to messing with the equipment, and in a professional line of work that would be unacceptable.

I have never been to a real hog hunting contest where hog doggers or traditional hunting techniques are participating, I've seen some of the shows and it looks like a TON of work and fun.

Lets see how a couple of rounds of this video recording contest go and then maybe we can look at a different style after the deer season concludes.

BB

Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: HOG RUSH] #4472330 08/12/13 11:10 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: HOG RUSH
I hunt alone some and am more productive when doing so. Will I be able to compete in the hunt?

Hoop -

We'd be glad to have you aboard, in fact you are so proficient I would venture to say you are the #1 seed if you enter, what are you offering up for the prize pot?

When you take the photo for confirmation put a date stamp on that and we will call it good.

BB

Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: Texas buckeye] #4472335 08/12/13 11:13 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Oh man, I don't have a recorder. But hope to post some successful hunt pics next weekend!

Texas Buckeye,

I have a recorder you can borrow, PM me since you live in Keller it shouldn't be any hassle to get it to you.

Now training you to use it might be another thing all together lol35

BB

Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4472449 08/13/13 12:02 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:

Quote:
We'd be glad to have you aboard, in fact you are so proficient I would venture to say you are the #1 seed if you enter, what are you offering up for the prize pot?

When you take the photo for confirmation put a date stamp on that and we will call it good.

Somehow, I sense some disparity in bending the rules of the competition to allow a professional hog hunter who scours large volumes of farmland with a vehicle rooftop FLIR (as part of his professional services) several nights a week to compete against the rest of us who are small time, non-professional hunters with very limit geographic or population options.

No disrespect, Hog Rush, but it is sort of like mules trying to race a Corvette.

Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4472487 08/13/13 12:15 AM
Bearclaw Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

Somehow, I sense some disparity in bending the rules of the competition to allow a professional hog hunter who scours large volumes of farmland with a vehicle rooftop FLIR (as part of his professional services) several nights a week to compete against the rest of us who are small time, non-professional hunters with very limit geographic or population options.

No disrespect, Hog Rush, but it is sort of like mules trying to race a Corvette.

we need a weekend warrior division and a pro division. I will throw in a free N750 weekend rental to this months weekend warrior winner.

Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: Bearclaw] #4472534 08/13/13 12:30 AM
Lance Vick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Bearclaw
Quote:

Quote:

we need a weekend warrior division and a pro division. I will throw in a free N750 weekend rental to this months weekend warrior winner.

Wow this is getting to be a cool deal
going to be some cool videos to watch coming up ................

Contact Lance@texashuntingland.com
www.texashuntingland.com
Deadend Outfitters
903-312-0609 Lance Vick
Fun begins where the road ends,
www.deadendoutfitters.com
www.guideonlakefork.com
Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: Lance Vick] #4473091 08/13/13 03:08 AM
panther89 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Bearclaw is making this intresting! ! I'm in

Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: panther89] #4473479 08/13/13 12:05 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Two categories would even the playing field appropriately.

Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: panther89] #4473493 08/13/13 12:17 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Morning Folks -

We have about a week to coordinate the August contest, and it appears as though we have enough interest to make this a fun time so lets do this.

Two Divisions for August - Select and Standard

The select division is comprised of professional outfitters or company sponsored hunters, also if you have a reason to want to compete against this class then you may choose to do so.

The standard division is for all other hunters who aren't company sponsored or outfitters, this is where most of the action will be most of the time and that's fine - enjoy the competition!

So based on the comments and feedback received I think it prudent to divide the contest into two divisions, I'd like to make this fun for all to garner more interest in the coming months and we wouldn't want first time hunters or those who have never recorded before competing against those at a higher level of proficiency.

So far it looks like:

August 2013 hunt - Biggest Hog (weight) taken on a recorded video.

Select Division

Hogrush
Bennybone (choosing to compete here)
maybe Bearclaw (generously he is offering a free rental to the winner of the standard division)

Standard Division

Panther89
Double Naught
maybe Texas Buck
maybe DFWRoadkill

and as a bonus Kbar is kicking in a giftcard to the winner of the standard division

If you desire to "punch your ticket" officially then post to the thread your forum name / division / and prize(s) offered to the contest.

Thanks,

BB

Last edited by Bennybone; 08/13/13 12:19 PM.
Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #4473740 08/13/13 01:46 PM
HOG RUSH Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Here is my entry for the smallest Hog:(4th or 5th killed in the vid)

Here is my entry for most hogs killed in the shortest time frame:

www.hogrush.com
"There Will Be Blood"
"ONE SHOT...ONE SQUEAL"
Home of "Overlord"
Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: HOG RUSH] #4473763 08/13/13 01:55 PM
HOG RUSH Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Here is my entry for the largest hog on video, he went 350lbs:

www.hogrush.com
"There Will Be Blood"
"ONE SHOT...ONE SQUEAL"
Home of "Overlord"
Re: For those who record their night hog hunts - How about a contest? [Re: HOG RUSH] #4473799 08/13/13 02:05 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
HogRush -

I like the vids, we'll accept them as your unofficial entry, we know you got a whole lotta porkers on the land you cover!

I am hoping that the bruiser boars steer clear of you Aug 21 - 24 so that I have a fighting chance wink

Out where I hunt, we don't see too many 300+ lb class pigs.

I saw another members post recently and he has a big ole boar eating out of the protein feeder, man maybe he'll let me come hunt next week..... Joking.

BB

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide