Page 1 of 2 1 2
New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? #4133817 03/20/13 07:33 PM
K
K Dad Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
Whats up guys I just stumbled on this site while trying to find out what kind of hunting options there are around mckinney/dallas area. Im moving there soon to get out of damn california, been here my whole life mostly hunting in northern california. I am not sure what all there is to hunt out here or the availability of good spots/amount of animals. Looking to get some good deer info are they available? pain to hunt? stalk or sit? thanks in advance guys!

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: K Dad] #4133831 03/20/13 07:43 PM
P
Pope&Young Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
First of all Welcome to Texas and to the forum.

[Linked Image]
Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: Pope&Young] #4133939 03/20/13 08:53 PM
J
JKC Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Welcome! You will find alot of good information on the forum.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: JKC] #4134001 03/20/13 09:23 PM
C
cliffy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Welcome! I prefer sitting in a stand but do stalk hunt some in the middle of the day.

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: cliffy] #4134041 03/20/13 09:48 PM
K
K Dad Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
Cool Cliffy I see you are in fort worth...are there some good areas nearby or what? need a shadow on your next one?! let me know any info you could offer I dont need your "secret hunting location" and thank you all for the welcome!

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: K Dad] #4135511 03/21/13 02:41 PM
K
K Dad Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
anybody?

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: K Dad] #4135855 03/21/13 04:34 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Welcome. Most leases west of I-35 will be deer, turkey, dove, ducks, hogs. Ones east will be deer, hogs, ducks. Depends what you want to pay but expect $1,500 to $3,000 for a lease. It's not easy to start without being in the state and learning a few things. For public hunting there are areas. Just google and make some phone calls for info. We don't have much public for deer. Go to the TPWD website and read the Outdoor Annual for county game info and the rules here.

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: Txduckman] #4135925 03/21/13 05:03 PM
K
K Dad Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
I have been seeing this lease stuff...basically un-heard of over here aside from some duck clubs and stuff can someone elaborate on the lease process? You lease it from the owner of the land I assume then what? buy feeders/set up blinds I am not sure of whats going on with that is it $1500 for a year?? Are the hunting rules on private land different then public land?

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: K Dad] #4136034 03/21/13 06:05 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Welcome to Texas K Dad! Unfortunately, public hunting is slim pickins around here. Personally, I drive a long way in order to hunt some land that I have free access to. Family Friend, and I feel lucky. Most of my friends lease. The lease cost is just for access to the lease. You must supply feeders, food plots, stands, and in many cases shelter if you want them.

Are you on the FT Worth side, or Dallas Side?

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: unclebubba] #4136060 03/21/13 06:17 PM
K
K Dad Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
Garland area is where the new job is will probably looking for a house in Mckinney or surrounding ares...not afraid to drive however the closer the better but here in cali its a 5-6 hour drive minimum for any kinda of deer/pig. I have 0 experience with the setting up of feeders, water troughs etc. and things of that nature I do know a fair amount and know the theories but never practiced it I have a career diploma in forestry and wildlife plus overall knowledge of hunting/outdoor skillset so I am not totally lost but I am curious what all is involved in securing a lease and making it a successful place to hunt? Seems the opposite of here where the hunting is 90% public 10% private

Last edited by K Dad; 03/21/13 06:18 PM.
Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: K Dad] #4136112 03/21/13 06:36 PM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Closest public to you is Caddo National Grasslands. There are some turkey, some deer, and some Hogs. I have only hunted there a few times. Seen a little bit of sign, but never got anything...did not really put a lot of effort in either. As far as leases, it has been a while since I have had one, but when I did, I just answered ads for leases, then scheduled a visit to look at lease. Good Luck!

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: unclebubba] #4136302 03/21/13 08:05 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
if u havent already, check out the land and leases section here, find something you like and PM the poster to ask specific questions. a lot of them have all the info u need in their posts.

good luck

and be wary of craigslist leases, google any names you get from craigslist and see if there are any reviews of them or the ranch.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: unclebubba] #4136309 03/21/13 08:06 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Welcome to Texas and the board! Since 95%(or more) of the dirt here is privately owned, your best hunting option is to lease. There are public areas around but they tend to be crowded and can be dangerous. Finding a lease can be easy but finding a good one can be difficult so expect to spend some time and $$ in the process.

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: Schpanky] #4136416 03/21/13 08:47 PM
K
K Dad Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
awesome great info guys I cant wait to get started the move is going to suck but it will be awesome when I get there! I cant wait to get away from these knuckle heads in california

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: K Dad] #4136698 03/21/13 10:59 PM
A
Aggieivy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Welcome to THF and Texas in general! Leasing is the way to go in Texas because most of the land is private. Every lease is different but mostly you pay per acre (if you're leasing something yourself) or pay per gun if it's an already established lease. This is a great place to get information and there are lots of different opinions. But one thing is common among us all--everyone is willing to help a brother out and there aren't (too m)any stupid questions.

I don't know the hunting regs in CA but here, deer hunting is pretty much a year-round commitment with planting food plots, supplemental feeding, etc. Good luck!

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: Aggieivy] #4138015 03/22/13 02:29 PM
K
K Dad Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
Are the hunting laws different of private vs. public land? cause here the public rules and regs are the same for private property

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: K Dad] #4138155 03/22/13 03:34 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
The basic hunting regulations are the same. However, each county may be a little different as far as what animals can be hunted and the number of animals that can be taken. You can pick up a book when you buy your license that will have a county by county guide as well as all other regulations. There are also several websites like leasehunter.com that you can browse for available leases. You can go in one of two directions.... Find a small lease 200 acres or so and hunt it by yourself. You would need to buy a few feeders and stands. The other option is to find a spot on a lease that is looking to add a hunter. This option you would at least have some guys that should know what they are doing but could also run into some knuckle heads. I am very picky about who I hunt with.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 03/22/13 03:35 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: BradyBuck] #4138363 03/22/13 04:55 PM
J
Jhunt Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Make sure you get a contract, a receipt and a key the SAME day you pay! There are low lifers out there ready to take your money. I live in a small town, everybody knows each other and the guy I dealt with was a local Corsicana businessman running a oil change shop here.Figure you can trust him? NO! Paid him my money, he gave me the run around for months about producing a key. Never did. After checking land owner records, found out he was trespassing on land next to an area he hunted on, passing it off as his. never had the right to lease said land. Could have taken him to small claims court, but found out from a lot of other people he's a pathological liar and uses several methods of taking money from hard working folks! Like others have said leases here can go pretty quick, don't jump on a lease till you know more. If you ask around here on the forum, somebody here might be able to tell you a fishey lease or a good lease. Good luck and welcome to Texas! Best hunting and fishing you will find!

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: BradyBuck] #4138365 03/22/13 04:55 PM
J
Jhunt Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Make sure you get a contract, a receipt and a key the SAME day you pay! There are low lifers out there ready to take your money. I live in a small town, everybody knows each other and the guy I dealt with was a local Corsicana businessman running a oil change shop here.Figure you can trust him? NO! Paid him my money, he gave me the run around for months about producing a key. Never did. After checking land owner records, found out he was trespassing on land next to an area he hunted on, passing it off as his. never had the right to lease said land. Could have taken him to small claims court, but found out from a lot of other people he's a pathological liar and uses several methods of taking money from hard working folks! Like others have said leases here can go pretty quick, don't jump on a lease till you know more. If you ask around here on the forum, somebody here might be able to tell you a fishey lease or a good lease. Good luck and welcome to Texas! Best hunting and fishing you will find!

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: Jhunt] #4138443 03/22/13 05:27 PM
K
K Dad Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
yea I hate scammers...thats good info I am always weary when I hand people money. so if you lease a plot from someone either by yourself or with a group is it essentially your land for whatever? within reason of course or is it hunting only and all things involved with it..setting feeders and what not...also if you secure a lease with a contract how often do you get it for a year and then lose it? or will they generally let you lease it as long as you pay for it?

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: K Dad] #4138554 03/22/13 06:20 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Every lease is different. Most are smooth with no issues and you renew every year. Some are 3 to 5 year leases buy yearly is the norm and hope the price doesn't go up. Finding a good landowner is the key to that and most people won't leave a lease if they are good. If you can try to wait until you meet some people and maybe they will have an opening and you will know what kind of terrain you like. Some like tall pines and other like mesquite flats with draws. Within reason the place is yours. Most of the time the landowner doesn't live on it and leases out grazing so only you and the grazer ever touch it. Just don't burn the place down. Don't expect to take a buck every year either. It's not like you can throw a rock and hit one for the most part.

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: Txduckman] #4138578 03/22/13 06:35 PM
K
K Dad Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
not a buck every year? Do you mean don't expect to get a deer every year? I don't know if you can take does or what not I haven't looked into the regs yet kinda being lazy I will get to reading but is it common to not take a deer every year?

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: K Dad] #4138611 03/22/13 06:51 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Depends on where you hunt and what to expect. Many counties have AR's Antler Restrictions so a buck needs to qualify but I don't look at minimums so I won't shoot a 13 inch deer. But I also sometimes never even see one that qualifies in a whole season or the ranch I am on only allows mature bucks of 5+ years. They go nocturnal. Best thing to do is read the outdoor annual on the TPWD website. I shoot does for meat as many do too.

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: Schpanky] #4138642 03/22/13 07:05 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Schpanky
There are public areas around but they tend to be crowded and can be dangerous.

I see this posted all the time. Atleast you said

I grew up hunting public and I have never, not even once, felt like I was in any kind of danger. Can there be some people? Of course. Its public. But, get off the main trails and roads and you rarely see anybody.

Re: New to the area, new to the site Deer near dallas? [Re: Txduckman] #4138697 03/22/13 07:26 PM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Yes, you can take up to 3 does a year in Texas, if you are on a MLD property, you can take more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide