Print Thread
Is the juice worth the squeeze? #4134004 03/20/13 09:26 PM
M
mpr77 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
I have 400 acres we hunt on out in Comanche and am considering 2 things this spring but both will cost a little money, I think more than I anticipate. and am wondering based off experience if any of you could tell me yay or nay based on cost and actual results.

1) sunflower plot for doves- I have a ton of deer on the property and hear that
a) the deer will get to it
b) doing a quick plant method like I would (I work Monday-Friday 7am-7pm, and lack of equipment) I heard it doesn't yield the best results
meaning if I don't dig up ground perfectly, have 15 different fertilizers and baby it etc because I can't stay out there more than 2 days, and also monitor it

2) pondseal- a product to spread on bottom of my duck pond to make it hold more water. probably cost around $300 for the amount I would need or maybe more. not sure if anyone has had any luck with this stuff, it's basically bentonite with an expansion type agent in it.

I'm only 24 and know some of you have been doing this stuff a lot longer and wanted some feedback on what you think.

thanks

Re: Is the juice worth the squeeze? [Re: mpr77] #4134010 03/20/13 09:30 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
trying to plant stuff for dove never worked out for me, but then again I didn't put a whole lot of effort into it...
wait and see what others say, but for me it's not worth it.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Is the juice worth the squeeze? [Re: mpr77] #4134158 03/20/13 10:47 PM
M
mnsherick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: mpr77
I have 400 acres we hunt on out in Comanche and am considering 2 things this spring but both will cost a little money, I think more than I anticipate. and am wondering based off experience if any of you could tell me yay or nay based on cost and actual results.

1) sunflower plot for doves- I have a ton of deer on the property and hear that
a) the deer will get to it
b) doing a quick plant method like I would (I work Monday-Friday 7am-7pm, and lack of equipment) I heard it doesn't yield the best results
meaning if I don't dig up ground perfectly, have 15 different fertilizers and baby it etc because I can't stay out there more than 2 days, and also monitor it

2) pondseal- a product to spread on bottom of my duck pond to make it hold more water. probably cost around $300 for the amount I would need or maybe more. not sure if anyone has had any luck with this stuff, it's basically bentonite with an expansion type agent in it.

I'm only 24 and know some of you have been doing this stuff a lot longer and wanted some feedback on what you think.

thanks

I'm far from an expert on food plots so take this or leave it....

My grandpa attempted food plots (for deer/doves) the past three years, each year he purchased materials from Gore Bros (in comanche) he is exactly 9 miles from the square.

All 3 years he used a disc, planted via spreader, watered (used tractor with watering tank) tended to it every day (if there is such a thing) and all 3 years I never saw anything for birds or deer to eat?? Maybe it was the seed, maybe he doesn't know what he's doing...I know he spent a bunch of money with little result.

AS for the pondseal,

we used some bentonite (sp?) got it from the guys in town (forgot the name) in 2011 to seal the bottom of his big tank, (I personally think they made a half @ss effort) they pulled a disc across, dumped bentonite in, and disced across a few times.

It's still bone dry, was completely full at one point (rain of OCT 2011) but all leaked out just as fast (or faster) than before. I think they made several mistakes on that job, I was supposed to help (had some words with AG guy, and several "pond master types" out that way). But he got in a hurry and I was stuck on a project at real work for 9 months.

Do your homework, and talk to people in that part of the country before you start spending money is all I have to offer on both.

I will say a good friend of mine used to do some killer food plots 7 miles from our ranch in BROWN county I never asked him anything concerning details but I saw a LOT of pictures of mature bucks eating during the fall months.

-Matt

Re: Is the juice worth the squeeze? [Re: mnsherick] #4134615 03/21/13 01:54 AM
B
brazosboyt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I've done a lot of food plots with very mixed results. Rain being the biggest impact that is out of control. At first I thought that I wasn't getting growth and then I added some 3' cages to keep the deer off. Amazing how I had 3 foot tall lush growth inside and dirt outside.

This prompted us to start doing surveys and counts. First yr we shot 70 does in 2000 acres. Guess what-had amazing food plots that yr.

I tried peredovek sunflowers in San Saba county, had a gorgeous field with 3" tall sunflowers and then the deer found it! Dirt!

I just planted 20 acres in bell county where we have no deer so in curious.

On bentonite. I have a 3 acre pond we built in San Saba. Right after we built it it filled up from a 5" rain. One week later empty! Piped water to it that pumps at 7 gpm. Waited till next rain that filled it, turned on the water. Also gauged the flow into the pond at 8-10 gpm. So total input of 14-16 gpm. 4 weeks later, dry!

Decided to test a small area. Bought 4 tons of bentonite in sacks from llano feed. 300$/ton. If you do so research online the blanket method is the
One of the preferred methods. Plow ground, place 1-3 lbs/sqft, roll pack! Do not till, or disturb integrity of the layer. Ideally you want to then place another layer if native clay/soil to protect the integrity of the bentonite layer from deer/cattle- so matt your guys goofed by rep lowing. So our 4 tons treated 4000 sqft which ain't much! We turned the water on which is recommended for a slow full so that rain runoff doesn't trench through the layer. 5 days later had 3' deep water on that area.

At this point I went ahead and got an 18 wherever load of the granular bentonite from texas sod ilium bentonite in commanche. $3300.00.

We have had very little rain since we did this in oct. as of last week I have about a half acre of 5' deep water. I really needed about 50 tons to do this 100% but at some point you say enough a enough. Good luck!

Re: Is the juice worth the squeeze? [Re: brazosboyt] #4135144 03/21/13 12:01 PM
B
Beretta Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Todd I'm gonna pick your brain this off season about making a small 3-5 acre pond (hope you don't mind), my dad is in the process of getting 20 acres and wants to put a duck pond on the back part of it and I have not a clue where to start. smile

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Two kinds of people vote democrat. Rich people that don't have to work, and poor people who don't want to work.
Re: Is the juice worth the squeeze? [Re: Beretta] #4135515 03/21/13 02:42 PM
B
brazosboyt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: BerettaOnyx686
Todd I'm gonna pick your brain this off season about making a small 3-5 acre pond (hope you don't mind), my dad is in the process of getting 20 acres and wants to put a duck pond on the back part of it and I have not a clue where to start. smile

No problem. Gimme a call. Be happy to come look at it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide