Forums46
Topics537,809
Posts9,729,371
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: Jarhead Rick] #4133905 03/20/13 08:37 PM
H
HuntinForTail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Kinda weird these are all first time posters...

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: HuntinForTail] #4134155 03/20/13 10:46 PM
J
Jarhead Rick Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Well, I sure wish I had read some of these other reviews before we booked the hunt. I guess I need to be more diligent about my research....... hammer

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: Jarhead Rick] #4140874 03/23/13 07:39 PM
H
huntingbig8 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Does it matter how many posts they have? Why get on here and lie your [censored] off? I know them and their business and it's built on being shady.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: huntingbig8] #4140910 03/23/13 08:10 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: huntingbig8
Does it matter how many posts they have? Why get on here and lie your [censored] off? I know them and their business and it's built on being shady.

Just always seems odd to me that many first post are made in reference to an outfitter thread. Doesn't mean that they are lying, but at the same time, it is difficult for me to base my assessment on the new posters.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: txshntr] #4141158 03/23/13 10:49 PM
J
Jarhead Rick Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Just always seems odd to me that many first post are made in reference to an outfitter thread. Doesn't mean that they are lying, but at the same time, it is difficult for me to base my assessment on the new posters.
I sure wish my story wasn't true. It wasn't a good time to drive 22 hours round trip, spend a decent sum of money and experience what we did. If enough posters (even us first timers) tell a similar story, it might give someone pause to reconsider where they hunt, or get the Outfitter to clean up their act.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: txshntr] #4142144 03/24/13 03:30 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Location smile. A lot of there guys posting aren't Texas based... They are just hunting Texas.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: txshntr] #4145122 03/25/13 09:10 PM
T
tdbduckhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

I think you all are missing the point. Their hunts were so bad they felt the need to get on here for the first time and warn us. Thanks. I think I would be more worried if a bunch of new people got on here for the first time and posted how great it was. That would be a big red flag.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: Jarhead Rick] #4145484 03/25/13 11:41 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Something that cracks me up is when outfitters offer you a free return hunt after you just wasted 2 or 3 days at their facility the first time. Especially if you have driven 5 hours, 11 hours or even just a couple hours to get there. They do that, in my opinion, mostly knowing that you won't be back. Now I'm sure there are the ones who do it even when you had a decent hunt but maybe just missed a real chance at your quarry or bad weather ruined the hunt because they are quality businesses but when it's an experience like this he knows there isn't a snowballs chance in hell you are driving back down from Nebraska to do that again.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: passthru] #4145946 03/26/13 02:39 AM
HuntingTexas Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I would imagine most of the 1st time posters googled Affordable Outfitters and it brought them to this thread.

" In God We Trust "

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: tdbduckhunter] #4145971 03/26/13 02:47 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: tdbduckhunter

I think you all are missing the point. Their hunts were so bad they felt the need to get on here for the first time and warn us. Thanks. I think I would be more worried if a bunch of new people got on here for the first time and posted how great it was. That would be a big red flag.

I agree 100% and when new posters get on to defend an outfitter, I am truly skeptical. Sometimes with the new posters on threads like this, I wonder if it is one person with a vendetta and making multiple accounts to make their case. Mods would catch them eventually I guess.

Must be a lot of people searching the sorry outfitters to find these threads. I appreciate all the new members and their input and if it sounded like I don't appreciate and pay attention to some based on post count, I apologize. It is the multiple first posters on any topic during a short period that make me wonder. Hard to imagine that many folks are mad at the same outfitter and are "googling" them at the same time confused2

scratch Hope that made more sense grin

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: txshntr] #4145984 03/26/13 02:54 AM
HuntingTexas Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Hard to imagine that many folks are mad at the same outfitter and are "googling" them at the same time confused2

If you go back to page 1 and look you'll see the new posters postings were made months apart. Some in 2011 and also in 2012 and the newer one made this year in 2013.

" In God We Trust "

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: HuntingTexas] #4146045 03/26/13 03:15 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: HuntingTexas
Hard to imagine that many folks are mad at the same outfitter and are "googling" them at the same time confused2

If you go back to page 1 and look you'll see the new posters postings were made months apart. Some in 2011 and also in 2012 and the newer one made this year in 2013.

Well see...now you have to go and make me look like an unobservant ace...and I already did a pretty good job of it. That will teach me to make a casual statement based on a post rather than the thread bang

But I see it more when they jump on to defend an outfitter.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: passthru] #4167940 04/04/13 06:09 PM
J
Jarhead Rick Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Originally Posted By: passthru
Something that cracks me up is when outfitters offer you a free return hunt after you just wasted 2 or 3 days at their facility the first time. Especially if you have driven 5 hours, 11 hours or even just a couple hours to get there. They do that, in my opinion, mostly knowing that you won't be back. Now I'm sure there are the ones who do it even when you had a decent hunt but maybe just missed a real chance at your quarry or bad weather ruined the hunt because they are quality businesses but when it's an experience like this he knows there isn't a snowballs chance in hell you are driving back down from Nebraska to do that again.
The young guide actually had the nerve to say, "Well, if you book again maybe we can get you some hogs." Um, no I won't book again even if it was free.....I would try another outfitter if I drive 11 hours. Next time I will ask members of this forum for input before I book anything. bang

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: Jarhead Rick] #4378990 07/10/13 09:43 PM
T
TXBuckeye Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I've never hunted at Affordable Outfitters. I saw they placed an ad in the Dallas Morning News today and their guide Darrell was the contact for the # provided within the ad. We communicated by text msgs and I didn't pick up on any BS in the text msgs. I saw that they're offering $150 hunts per day right now, no limits on # of hogs killed so that's why I contacted them. I was thinking of taking my daughter out, now I'm not sure from these posts. I can understand issues that are aged but it looks like the same issues have been happening for some time. I'd be looking to hunt hogs only.

Living the Dream....1 Hog at a time
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: TXBuckeye] #4572304 09/16/13 03:21 PM
S
srhutch1974 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
What a joke of a outfit.First off James waited till we were in Dallas to inform us we needed varmint lights to hunt the hogs, why wait till we are 2 hours away to tell us this when we have talked for 3 weeks straight about the hunt, We were booked for hog and dove hunts.we got there at about noon on monday, first thing we did was leave and go to walmart and get bug spray because the cabin was full of spiders and scorpions, not a big deal, I could have lived with that if the hunting didnt suck. We went out hog hunting monday evening with the hunting guide Terry, guide my [censored], he was a taxi service and smelled like he had not showered in a week. We stayed out till 2 am over the feeders and all I saw was the fattest raccoon known to man. Terry comes to pick us up and we ask what time to dove hunt in the morning, he informs us its only a half mile walk he didnt need to take us there so we were on our own.we got up at 5 am and headed out and got set up and seen no doves at all and this was after James gave us the big sell on Monday that they had went dove hunting this weekend and limited out in a few hours. So tuesday evening I text james on the way to hog hunting and asked hey do you have another place to dove hunt the field he had sent us to had no food there for the doves. his reply was well I guess its too hot. So when we got to our hog stands I walked around and saw no hog tracks at all, so thats telling me that there are none there. The feeder kicks on at 8 and here come the deer, raccoons and armadillos and no hogs till 2 am. By then we had enough, we packed up and left Wednesday morning. we didnt receive a text or phone call wondering what happened, so by that happening we knew that we were not the first ones to leave and he really didnt give a damn other than getting your money.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: TXBuckeye] #4572429 09/16/13 04:06 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
What I think is interesting is the number of people that take a crap shoot on a day hunt.

"affordable" is my biggest red flag. Then cheap day hunting is a known entity to anyone who's ever been paying attention.

Attention out of state hunters: Day hunting for anything but migratory birds is virtually ALWAYS a ripoff.

Day hunting is not outfitting. Learn the difference.

Or not, and keep wasting your valuable time and "affordable" bucks.

Last edited by therancher; 09/16/13 04:07 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: therancher] #4572576 09/16/13 04:52 PM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: therancher
What I think is interesting is the number of people that take a crap shoot on a day hunt.

"affordable" is my biggest red flag. Then cheap day hunting is a known entity to anyone who's ever been paying attention.

Attention out of state hunters: Day hunting for anything but migratory birds is virtually ALWAYS a ripoff.

Not true. I have some "AFFORDABLE" hunts that are not a rip off. Do your research before you book.. that's the bottom line.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: STXHO] #4572589 09/16/13 04:56 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: STXHUNTINGOUTFITTERS
Originally Posted By: therancher

Not true. I have some "AFFORDABLE" hunts that are not a rip off. Do your research before you book.. that's the bottom line.

What I said was virtually always a ripoff was $150/day day hunts. You know, the ones where you can shoot anything legal that walks out. C'mon. You know what I meant.

You got that kind of hunt? Cause that's what I was talking about. The place described in those posts on this thread are exactly that. And worth a lot less than 150/day.

If you are providing that kind of "affordable" hunting, you won't have much game either for very long. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: therancher] #4572631 09/16/13 05:09 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I guess I need to be more specific. My "red flag" with "affordable" is the fact that they lead with it. Even put it in their name.

That throws up a red flag for me.

We ALL have affordable hunts to offer. But when you lead with that... it throws up a red flag for me. Just me, not saying it has to for you or anyone else...

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: utarcher] #5025233 03/17/14 05:55 PM
ttechcolleyville Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I am only posting on this because I noticed all the references to first time posters. I would not want anyone considering Affordable Outfitters to discount the very valid complaints referenced in this thread. They are horrible and deceitful. I booked a hunt with them this past December to take my younger brother on his first deer hunt and they so grossly misrepresented their services, quarters and quality of hunting that I considered suing them on principal.

The "Affordable" was a warning and which is why I did my due diligence, including asking James about some of the bad reviews and he had a great story. I then asked for references, which he provided me with quite a few, though I could only reach about 6 of them. I don't know if they were set ups or not, but I got comfortable and booked it.

Hopefully others doing their due diligence will find enough of these reviews to realize they would be better off hunting elsewhere.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: utarcher] #5197282 07/11/14 08:41 PM
E
EastTXAggie Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
This is going to be a lengthy story but stick with it and realize that the owner of affordable outfitter is a con artist at work.

I contacted James Rae in regards to a Father/Son hunt for late December of this year (2014). We had everything going good and booked until I said I needed another day for the down deposit. He said this was fine until the following day around 11am he sent a text with “?”. I text him back and said I needed him to call to discuss some things before I placed the deposit. He called and I proceeded to ask about negative reviews I have read online, which there are TONS of. He claimed they were other ranchers that did not like him and bashed him for his low prices. He then proceeded to send HUNDREDS of pictures of animals that he has seen/killed. He also sent a list of 15-20 people as references that could vouch for his hunts. I did not buy his BS and called him out on it. I said that I understand they could be lying, but if that’s true I would like to make a guarantee with the hunt. Our hunt was for two people and a total of $1,400 for a total of ten animals. (2 does, 2 hogs, 1 cull buck per person) Simple math shows that he is charging $140 per animal. My proposal was that we would still come but only pay for what we killed. I told him I was not comfortable with paying all the money and then having ZERO guarantee of killing nothing, epically with all the bad reviews he has.
THIS IS WHERE IT GETS GOOD.
After our exchange of thoughts and ideas he sends me a text saying that someone booked the dates I was looking for. He then sends me this long text from someone who is talking him up and singing his praises about how good the lease is and how much fun they had last year. Within the text was the man’s name, 16 digit credit card number, name on the card, address, phone number, and the rest of the text said bill me any time. I have pictures of this and still have the text messages on my phone.
So I decide to give this guy a call. Upon calling him I learned he had not been to the ranch in over a year and certainly did not book a hunt for this December. The phone call started off with me acting like it was a reference call just to see if the guy had a good time. He told me he had a good time with his buddy but did not even see one animal. Said the service was terrible and he would never go back. Then I told him about me having his information and how I got it. The man was shocked and did not believe me, but once I read him his own credit card information he was really pissed.
That evening I waited for James to give me a call about booking another hunt. When he called I played dumb and asked about someone booking over my hunt. He proceeded to play the story just as if it actually happened. I finally had enough of it and told him what I had done and how much of a low life he really was. He immediately hung up on me and txt me “lost your call will call back”.
Well today “the day after all of this” he will not answer my calls and only txt back insulting me. The man is truly a crook out there to get people’s money and screw you over. I will be filing this report with the FBB and hopefully the other guy will cancel that credit card.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: utarcher] #5197722 07/12/14 12:31 AM
T
txbowhunt7 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Never had any experice with them, but after reading this post I decided to check out their website. That's a huge red flag on its own. The way things are written and spelled is very amateur and horribly written. Any guide service worth their salt will at least have a professionally done, well written website.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: utarcher] #5652005 03/15/15 03:28 PM
D
Dponce77 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
We were taken as well, Owner will take your money and talk the place up but once you show you will not see him. Old guide ( actually neighbor ) smells something terrible and smokes right at your feeder. I was lucky to kill to small hogs with one shot but they were the only hogs seen on the entire trip... They pressure you about tipping.... We were told we could predator hunt during the day but once we paid we were meet with a nice notice that walking around and predator hunting was not allowed. This outfit is just looking for as many hunters as they can pass through the place... The few stands that do have hogs regularly showing up are just for the owners son.....lodging is lousy stands are old.... I got to one location to bow hunt and the stand was 90 yards from the feeder... Then to top it off I left a 200 dollar bag and a 300 dollar pair of boots there, called and was told they didn't see them..... My 10 cents be cautious of any one that offers unlimited hogs......if your traveling from north like me check into some places in Oklahoma.... No night hunting but I have hunted three places and killed more than one hog each time

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: utarcher] #5652462 03/15/15 11:26 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I TRY TO STEER AWAY FROM PLACES AND THINGS THAT USE THE PREMISES OF "AFFORDABLE" AS THEIR #1 SELLING POINT. USUALLY MEANS ITS CRAP AND I FIRMLY BELIEVE IN YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Re: info on "Affordable outfitters" [Re: sparrish8] #5652495 03/15/15 11:49 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: sparrish8
I TRY TO STEER AWAY FROM PLACES AND THINGS THAT USE THE PREMISES OF "AFFORDABLE" AS THEIR #1 SELLING POINT. USUALLY MEANS ITS CRAP AND I FIRMLY BELIEVE IN YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

+1. Truer words were never spoken, S-8. When well-meaning guys post here on the forum that they're looking for an affordable hunt "that won't cost an arm and a leg", they're sadly setting themselves up for disappointment 90% of the time.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide