Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,582
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Spent the last few nights with a FLIR Thermal PS Scout #4124794 03/16/13 02:48 PM
C
ccoker Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
What a cool unit.
It won't see into thick woods but it sure works

We got on several pigs because of it.
Damned good fun.
I am going to hate sending it back but I will be getting one of these or similar as soon as I can pull it off.

Re: Spent the last few nights with a FLIR Thermal PS Scout [Re: ccoker] #4125270 03/16/13 09:04 PM
deltaoutdoorsman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Thanks for the review. What is the approximate usuable range when it comes to hunting a food plot, for example?

www.deltaoutdoorsman.com -- Assault & Tactical backpacks & shooting gear!
Eberlestock packs, First Aid, SHTF / Bug Out Bags, Pulsar Night Vision, Brute Coolers, etc.

ceylon@deltaoutdoorsman.com.
(901)334-6808
Re: Spent the last few nights with a FLIR Thermal PS Scout [Re: deltaoutdoorsman] #4125286 03/16/13 09:21 PM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Not sure what your price range is but the CNVD-T and Thermal Eye we've been using from L3 will see into the woods. It's not uncommon for us to scan the edges and see critters back a bit amongst the trees. The biggest 'problem' is sometimes you can see pigs in the thermal that you cannot see any other way due to thick and tall grass that makes getting a shot tough.

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: Spent the last few nights with a FLIR Thermal PS Scout [Re: ccoker] #4125347 03/16/13 10:16 PM
Bearclaw Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: ccoker
What a cool unit.
It won't see into thick woods but it sure works

We got on several pigs because of it.
Damned good fun.
I am going to hate sending it back but I will be getting one of these or similar as soon as I can pull it off.

Really are cool little units and for the price they can't be beat.

Re: Spent the last few nights with a FLIR Thermal PS Scout [Re: Bearclaw] #4125381 03/16/13 10:55 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Not sure what your price range is but the CNVD-T and Thermal Eye we've been using from L3 will see into the woods. It's not uncommon for us to scan the edges and see critters back a bit amongst the trees. The biggest 'problem' is sometimes you can see pigs in the thermal that you cannot see any other way due to thick and tall grass that makes getting a shot tough.

You can see into the woods with the PS series of FLIRs as well as any other comparable scope. None of them allow you to see through objects like trees. The issue is of the radiance from the thermal target.

The PS series (PS24 and PS32) run about $1900-$3000 and are stand alone spotting monoculars. They aren't in the same category as a $20K add on CNVD-T, but neither is the lower end Thermal Eye X200XP (~$4200). The FLIR PS32 and X200XP have about similar detection size/range capabilities. The FLIR PS24 is going to be a bit less capable, I think by about 1/3, IIRC.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Spent the last few nights with a FLIR Thermal PS Scout [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4125385 03/16/13 11:02 PM
Bearclaw Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

You can see into the woods with the PS series of FLIRs as well as any other comparable scope. None of them allow you to see through objects like trees. The issue is of the radiance from the thermal target.

The PS series (PS24 and PS32) run about $1900-$3000 and are stand alone spotting monoculars. They aren't in the same category as a $20K add on CNVD-T, but neither is the lower end Thermal Eye X200XP (~$4200). The FLIR PS32 and X200XP have about similar detection size/range capabilities. The FLIR PS24 is going to be a bit less capable, I think by about 1/3, IIRC.

There will be a unit as good if not better than the CNVD-T released this summer by ATN. If I had to guess I would say it will be less than half the price point but that's just a guess.

Re: Spent the last few nights with a FLIR Thermal PS Scout [Re: deltaoutdoorsman] #4127010 03/17/13 09:01 PM
H
Hard_ware Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: deltaoutdoorsman
Thanks for the review. What is the approximate usuable range when it comes to hunting a food plot, for example?

Here is a pic of the ps24 at night distance depends on ambient temp cooler the better, not freezing laugh one pipe is 8ft other is 6ft (4ft with side pipe and ladder) I guess I was off a few yds, Here is google maps measurement

Last edited by Hard_ware; 03/17/13 09:11 PM.

NRA life member
Re: Spent the last few nights with a FLIR Thermal PS Scout [Re: Hard_ware] #4127068 03/17/13 09:44 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
There will be a unit as good if not better than the CNVD-T released this summer by ATN. If I had to guess I would say it will be less than half the price point but that's just a guess.

ATN has some interesting offerings and I would be interested to see what they have coming out. However, I haven't been terribly impressed with their NV products and found their CS terribly poor. Given that experience, I am not sure I would want to shell out that kind of money with an ATN product when there are a variety of other options on the market or soon will be.

Maybe they will get a lot of outstanding reviews. I hope so as they do seem somewhat budget minded as compared to some of the other companies.

Re: Spent the last few nights with a FLIR Thermal PS Scout [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4127079 03/17/13 09:50 PM
H
Hard_ware Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Quote:

ATN has some interesting offerings and I would be interested to see what they have coming out. However, I haven't been terribly impressed with their NV products and found their CS terribly poor. Given that experience, I am not sure I would want to shell out that kind of money with an ATN product when there are a variety of other options on the market or soon will be.

Maybe they will get a lot of outstanding reviews. I hope so as they do seem somewhat budget minded as compared to some of the other companies.

With spending thousands of $, customer support is Major factor in my book. Call them up and see what kind of support you get, before you buy. Flir has been top notch!

Last edited by Hard_ware; 03/17/13 09:52 PM.

NRA life member
Re: Spent the last few nights with a FLIR Thermal PS Scout [Re: Hard_ware] #4127117 03/17/13 10:17 PM
Bearclaw Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Quote:

Double Naught,
For tube based night vision I will agree with you on ATNs reputation, but I have to disagree with you on thermal. Almost all of their tube based NV is made over seas, but the thermals are all 100% made in the USA. It makes a huge difference. I rent ATNs thermals and they don't break, and they don't screw up.

Originally Posted By: Hard_ware

With spending thousands of $, customer support is Major factor in my book. Call them up and see what kind of support you get, before you buy. Flir has been top notch!

Hard Ware,
As for customer service, I wouldn't trust any manufacturer with my customers so we take care of all product issues in house. It seems like every company is getting worse and worse at answering the phone and answering questions. To tell you the truth I have had good and bad experiences with ATN and FLIR. IMO as long as its a quality product, it's more important who you buy it from than who made it.

Re: Spent the last few nights with a FLIR Thermal PS Scout [Re: Bearclaw] #4127867 03/18/13 06:04 AM
H
Hard_ware Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Bearclaw

Originally Posted By: Hard_ware

Hard Ware,
As for customer service, I wouldn't trust any manufacturer with my customers so we take care of all product issues in house. It seems like every company is getting worse and worse at answering the phone and answering questions. To tell you the truth I have had good and bad experiences with ATN and FLIR. IMO as long as its a quality product, it's more important who you buy it from than who made it.

That's great! But like plumcrazy ar lowers lifetime warranty! They are gone! The warranty is only as good as the company that MFG, warranty was mfg warranty not reseller . Unless you give a written warranty or guarantee of fitness to customers they are at your mercy whatever you decide to do to resolve the situation. If it never breaks or malfunctions, warranty is only ink on paper. Its when SHTF that the ink means something. IE you told them that the product was great and would last 5yr no problem, but mfg got a bad batch of capacitors that failed in 2 1/2 yrs, 6mths out of MFG warranty, who is going to eat the cost ? I have given written warranty for 5yrs on a 1yr mfg warranty because I could repair if anything happened and knew enough that the design was solid and could be repaired for pennies on the $1, if you have to send it off or buy new module you will lose your a$$. The lawyers will handle it as long as the company has assets to levy in a lawsuit, that's why everyone needs to do their own DD before spending hard earned $$$$. But unless you have something in writing, it is only good if that person is alive and chooses to honor it. In court you have nothing, but they have your $$$$ laugh Everyone starts out with a clean reputation, it's up to them to keep it clean. Hope you have a successful future and continue to take of your customers because they are the ones that will take care of you. The rental is something i suggest to people that want big boy toys and are not sure,"try before you buy"!

NRA life member
Re: Spent the last few nights with a FLIR Thermal PS Scout [Re: Hard_ware] #4128321 03/18/13 03:03 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Double Naught,
For tube based night vision I will agree with you on ATNs reputation, but I have to disagree with you on thermal. Almost all of their tube based NV is made over seas, but the thermals are all 100% made in the USA. It makes a huge difference.

You want to disagree with me on ATN thermal scopes? I didn't say anything bad about ATN thermal scopes. So I have no idea what you would be disagreeing with me about. Whether or not they have good thermal scopes has zilch to do with their customer service, if you need it.

Gotta agree with Hard_ware. When you buy a product with a warranty, you buy the warranty. If CS sucks, then the warranty you paid for may be garbage, wasted money.

Great that ATN has wonderful thermal gear, but based on my CS experience with the NV gear, I would be very hesitant to spend $ with them again. In fact, short of some sort of new information to the contrary, I would be strongly hesitant to spend money with a company that jerked me around on CS in the past. You have said the thermal product is quality, but have in no way vouched for their CS. In fact, it would appear from your statement that you haven't had to try their CS...which is good, but says nothing about CS.

Re: Spent the last few nights with a FLIR Thermal PS Scout [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4128340 03/18/13 03:11 PM
Bearclaw Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Quote:
Double Naught,
For tube based night vision I will agree with you on ATNs reputation, but I have to disagree with you on thermal. Almost all of their tube based NV is made over seas, but the thermals are all 100% made in the USA. It makes a huge difference.

You want to disagree with me on ATN thermal scopes? I didn't say anything bad about ATN thermal scopes. So I have no idea what you would be disagreeing with me about. Whether or not they have good thermal scopes has zilch to do with their customer service, if you need it.

Gotta agree with Hard_ware. When you buy a product with a warranty, you buy the warranty. If CS sucks, then the warranty you paid for may be garbage, wasted money.

Great that ATN has wonderful thermal gear, but based on my CS experience with the NV gear, I would be very hesitant to spend $ with them again. In fact, short of some sort of new information to the contrary, I would be strongly hesitant to spend money with a company that jerked me around on CS in the past. You have said the thermal product is quality, but have in no way vouched for their CS. In fact, it would appear from your statement that you haven't had to try their CS...which is good, but says nothing about CS.

Double Naught,
Fine by me bud! Just trying to save everyone from spending unnecessary cash, and lots of it!

Ccoker sorry for the thread hijack!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide