Print Thread
Pup wasn't socialized #4121082 03/14/13 03:51 PM
W
wingshot51 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
I got a 5 month old pup last week at DFW she was in a kennel when I received her I took her out and snapped the Check cord on the collar to let her do her business in the parking lot she got 15' away and I pulled the rope to reign her in and you could tell she hadn't had a leash on before. Well after the fight this dog doesn't trust me at all, I called the breeder and he said what with his dads sickness he wasn't able to spend much time with the pups. How do I turn this dog around All help is appreciated

Re: Pup wasn't socialized [Re: wingshot51] #4121127 03/14/13 04:14 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
What exactly did the "fight" consist of ?

What do you mean she doesn't trust you?

Never being on a leash isn't what I would call not socialized.

Maybe some basic training or exposure was lacking.

Hard to say just going on what you said. Sounds like you need pro help.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Pup wasn't socialized [Re: MS1454] #4121167 03/14/13 04:40 PM
B
Bigjoe8504 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Sounds like she didn't like the leash... a choke chain, or pinch chain will cure that in a hurry. Don't worry about trust issues atm. If you have problems, the squeeze and hold method works fine for building dominance. She will eventually see you as the dominant member of the pack and the one that feeds her. Trust comes with time.

Re: Pup wasn't socialized [Re: wingshot51] #4121206 03/14/13 05:08 PM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
pick the pup up at DFW? ...meaning airport? Sounds like you are basing your impression on a pup that might have been WAY stressed out from being pulled out of a situation that they were used to (for 5 months), thrown in a small kennel and on a plane, to be picked up by a stranger in a strange place. Give the pup some time and don't expect anything for a week or two until the pup get re-acclimated, and then take things slow until you see some trust building.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pup wasn't socialized [Re: First_Chance] #4121233 03/14/13 05:19 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: First_Chance
pick the pup up at DFW? ...meaning airport? Sounds like you are basing your impression on a pup that might have been WAY stressed out from being pulled out of a situation that they were used to (for 5 months), thrown in a small kennel and on a plane, to be picked up by a stranger in a strange place. Give the pup some time and don't expect anything for a week or two until the pup get re-acclimated, and then take things slow until you see some trust building.

I thought the same. And this is the exact advice I give everyone when they pick up a pup from me - "Give it two weeks to get acclimated." In the meanwhile, easy does it. Less pressure, rather than more, will net a dog that willingly follows your lead out of respect & trust. Once pup has settled in, begin exposure to new situations and be prepared to be the "shield." Pack leaders are leaders not solely because they can dominate the other dogs physically, but because mentally, the other dogs know the leader can be trusted with their best interests. The pack leader is not always the toughest, meanest or strongest dog in the pack. More often than not it's the more mature, reliable, intelligent and proactive dog.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Pup wasn't socialized [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #4121501 03/14/13 07:41 PM
L
labpointkennels Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs
Originally Posted By: First_Chance

I thought the same. And this is the exact advice I give everyone when they pick up a pup from me - "Give it two weeks to get acclimated." In the meanwhile, easy does it. Less pressure, rather than more, will net a dog that willingly follows your lead out of respect & trust. Once pup has settled in, begin exposure to new situations and be prepared to be the "shield." Pack leaders are leaders not solely because they can dominate the other dogs physically, but because mentally, the other dogs know the leader can be trusted with their best interests. The pack leader is not always the toughest, meanest or strongest dog in the pack. More often than not it's the more mature, reliable, intelligent and proactive dog.

Ditto. Give her time and love.

Last edited by labpointkennels; 03/14/13 07:42 PM.

Labrador Point Kennels
Home of the Texas Red Labradors
Re: Pup wasn't socialized [Re: labpointkennels] #4121960 03/14/13 11:40 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Also, you can tie her out for short periods of time. That will help her give to the lead with no pressure from you.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Pup wasn't socialized [Re: wingshot51] #4122052 03/15/13 12:35 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
You got a kennel dog. You are starting from ground zero. I'm sorry... scared

It's not socialized, has little human interaction and has basically no clue.

Time and patience along with contacting a good training facility in your area will help you immensely...

Talk to a local trainer and they will be able to help you.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide