Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... #4120992 03/14/13 03:12 PM
T
taco bender Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
or introduce a 6yr old in to the outdoors? I know that's how i got familiar with the outdoors and i loved it. what are your thoughts?

"Today is about playing like WE play! This day is about DOMINATING an opponent! This day is about being LSU, and taking a team by the throat, and choking the life out of them!" - Les Miles
Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: taco bender] #4121011 03/14/13 03:20 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I think the boy scouts is a good organization for teaching kids the outdoors but I also think that fathers should also participate in it!!!

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: Seadog] #4121023 03/14/13 03:23 PM
T
taco bender Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
oh believe me, we spend our time together on the outdoors part. i just want him to learn that there's more than just fishing and hunting.

"Today is about playing like WE play! This day is about DOMINATING an opponent! This day is about being LSU, and taking a team by the throat, and choking the life out of them!" - Les Miles
Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: Seadog] #4121024 03/14/13 03:24 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Not to be political but you may want to watch what they are considering in their policies in the future. I know if they make the changes they are proposing then I won't be having my kids in there (I don't even have kids yet).

It is a great place to learn about the outdoors. Like the other fellow said, the dad needs to be there.

P.S. I was an Eagle Scout

[Linked Image]
Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: MDMORROW] #4121056 03/14/13 03:41 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Yes I do, especially for kids that are not familiar wtih being outdoors, except for recess...

Parent participation is required for our Pack

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: MDMORROW] #4121059 03/14/13 03:42 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I went to scouts one year. I found out that I learned more and had more fun being out in the woods with my Grandfather and Dad.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: hook_n_line] #4121106 03/14/13 04:00 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
A lot depends on the troop and more specifically the leaders. Scouts is an awesome organization IF........ You can get quality leaders to step up make the program worthwhile. There are so many more outdoor things besides fishing and hunting that kids can get involved in but it takes having those leaders who are willing to do it.

Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: Spacemonkey] #4121163 03/14/13 04:37 PM
C
Chuck McDonald Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Spacemonkey hit it right on. I loved Scouts while we lived in Odessa. My fsamily moved to Shreveport when I was a freshamn in High School and guys in the troop never camped out of sight of a vehicle or even knew their knots. I quit after 6 months. West Texas was a great place to be a scout, NW Louisiana sucked.

Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: Spacemonkey] #4121168 03/14/13 04:41 PM
K
kidde Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
I was an Adult Leader for a few years, it all depends on the pack. We took our Webelo's camping monthly and our pack only three times a year. The younger boys can only camp with a parent or guardian. If you put your 6 year old in and you go camping with the older boys he can go also per BSA guidelines. My son loved Scouting, but I was heavily involved.

Live right. Do right. Demand the same in others.
Screw off. Lie and cheat. Have no regard for the actions of others.

You tell me which takes, and ultimately makes, a Man.
Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: kidde] #4121248 03/14/13 05:26 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I was in scouts my whole life and earned my Eagle. We didn't do any camping until we started Boy Scouts which was 6th grade back then. They start in 5th grade now. Cub Scouts starts in 1st grade but there is not much outdoor stuff you are thinking of.

Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: Txduckman] #4121266 03/14/13 05:39 PM
coreybasshunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Completely depends on the pack!
Definitely good for a start!

Keep em huntin and they wont have time to get in trouble!! And remember RESPECT goes a long way!!
Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: coreybasshunter] #4121817 03/14/13 10:05 PM
J
Johnny Lobos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Completely depends on the final ruling and if you want your boy around un-natural sexual men.

Remember though, scouts ain't intended to be a baby sitting service and parent participation is advised.

Last edited by Johnny Loco; 03/14/13 10:06 PM.
Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: Johnny Lobos] #4121898 03/14/13 10:55 PM
S
skeeter22 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I quit cub scouts because it was not fun for me. I later joined boy scouts and thoroughly loved it. I am an eagle scout. So was my grandfather and my son is two merit badges away from his. We have a large troop with many adults that participate. I was once told that if a boy's father participates, he has about a 75% change of becoming an eagle. Without the dad participating, it drops to 25%. I don't know how BSA will rule on the gay issue. However, every child will come into contact with gays. There is no way to shield your child 100% of the time. I am not endorsing their life style.

Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: skeeter22] #4122165 03/15/13 01:34 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
BSA is an overall great organization. Alot of it has to do with what activities your child participates in and as mentioned before the troop he is in. If he is in alot of sports & gets to hunt & fish alot already, you might have a hard time keeping him interested, especially if it is a not a well run & fun troop!

My son has been hunting and fishing with me since he was 3, he just turned 15 & is working on his Eagle. Give it a shot, if he likes it & sticks great, if not so be it.

Good Luck!!

texas flag

Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: Stub] #4122510 03/15/13 04:58 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I was in boy scouts, and learned a lot of good things. From what i have seen and heard, the boy scouts have become more liberal since then, and I am not sure I am going to put my son in scouts or not. Jury is still out on that one.

Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: taco bender] #4122513 03/15/13 05:02 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted By: taco bender
oh believe me, we spend our time together on the outdoors part. i just want him to learn that there's more than just fishing and hunting.

If you want him to learn more than that, then it is up to you to teach him. Not that you won't, just pointing out what you probably already know.

Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: skeeter22] #4122571 03/15/13 09:24 AM
T
target1911 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: skeeter22
I quit cub scouts because it was not fun for me. I later joined boy scouts and thoroughly loved it. I am an eagle scout. So was my grandfather and my son is two merit badges away from his. We have a large troop with many adults that participate. I was once told that if a boy's father participates, he has about a 75% change of becoming an eagle. Without the dad participating, it drops to 25%. I don't know how BSA will rule on the gay issue.

However, every child will come into contact with gays. There is no way to shield your child 100% of the time. I am not endorsing their life style.

Sad but true. I have a gay sister that lives out of state. I won't be rude or hateful to them because they are gay. I can't stop the contact but I can limit it. I don't want the direct influence that comes with a mentor or teacher.....even if that means changing schools. It's bad enough you see it daily life be it at the store or on tv.

"A good life is never too short"
My Dad
Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: target1911] #4123166 03/15/13 03:57 PM
R
RanchoStarvo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I never did it. Then again I had access to the outdoors with my family's ranch and relatives' properties.

If I didn't have access then I don't know if I would have stuck with cub scouts or not.

I was more of an Indian Guides person anyways because all the schools in my area participated in YMCA sports, so you'd be able to hang out with the same people from other schools and what not.

Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: RanchoStarvo] #4123211 03/15/13 04:15 PM
S
skeeter22 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
There is a whole lot more to boy scouts than just camping and the outdoors.

Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: skeeter22] #4123675 03/15/13 08:24 PM
O
Octopiston Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
At 6, he'll be in Cubs so the camping will probably be minimal. Was when I was a Cub.

Now Boy Scouts is fun and gets more into camping. As stated it depends on the troop for the leader as well as the scout. I was a volunteer leader from Webelos up to Venture over a course of 15 years starting at the age of 20. I enjoyed it and tried to have as much fun with it as the scouts. As Skeeter said, there is more to it than camping. MDMORROW had a good point too. If they go through with what was being considered, I will never have anything else to do with them. Been boycotting girlscouts and their cookies for years because they caved in to the societal pressures long ago.

Last edited by Octopiston; 03/15/13 08:26 PM.
Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: taco bender] #4123756 03/15/13 08:58 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
It helps teach kids a lot of things they need to learn (besides outdoors skills) good morals ect... And stirs their interest in the outdoors/nature.

I was lucky enough that my B Scout leader ran a day lease operation so he took me deer hunting in exchange for a little labor... I cooked breakfast and took hunters to stands, then I got to hunt the rest of the day, then helped with cleanup after supper.

Yes I think Scouts is a good thing for kids.

MAN YA'LL ACT LIKE YOUR KIDS AREN'T GONNA RUN INTO GAY PEOPLE IN THEIR EVERYDAY LIFE.

Last edited by RICK O'SHAY; 03/15/13 09:05 PM.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #4125216 03/16/13 08:15 PM
O
Octopiston Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY
MAN YA'LL ACT LIKE YOUR KIDS AREN'T GONNA RUN INTO GAY PEOPLE IN THEIR EVERYDAY LIFE.

Running into or even having a friend your age that is gay is far different than having an authority figure that is incharge of you on a weekend campout or during a week long camp in secluded areas. The BSA already has had issues and the stigma of the pedophile scoutmasters before, thus the 2 deep leadership rule among others. The BSA has always been very conservative in their values, and should have EVERY right to choose leaders that believe in the same values the same way the NAACP can. If people don't like it, why don't they start their own organizations instead of expecting everyone to bow before them, bend to their desires and beliefs. Its sad how certain groups can have their exclusive organizations, but if a conservative group wants to stand for their values their wrong. Not everything needs to be all inclusive.
To be honest, I also don't think women should lead troops either. Boys need to spend time away from mommy. I've been around troops with a female scout master. Its enevitable that one scout is her son and he is mother henned and you can tell it.

Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: skeeter22] #4125227 03/16/13 08:29 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
I was in scouts my whole life and earned my Eagle. We didn't do any camping until we started Boy Scouts which was 6th grade back then. They start in 5th grade now. Cub Scouts starts in 1st grade but there is not much outdoor stuff you are thinking of.

I took my Tigers (1st grade) out camping three times confused2

Originally Posted By: skeeter22
There is a whole lot more to boy scouts than just camping and the outdoors.

Very true, and a lot depends on the leaders, i ensure they learn integrity, and character in everything we do. Amazing I have to teach some of the parents as well.

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: Octopiston] #4125364 03/16/13 10:40 PM
R
RanchoStarvo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: Octopiston

Running into or even having a friend your age that is gay is far different than having an authority figure that is incharge of you on a weekend campout or during a week long camp in secluded areas. The BSA already has had issues and the stigma of the pedophile scoutmasters before, thus the 2 deep leadership rule among others. The BSA has always been very conservative in their values, and should have EVERY right to choose leaders that believe in the same values the same way the NAACP can. If people don't like it, why don't they start their own organizations instead of expecting everyone to bow before them, bend to their desires and beliefs. Its sad how certain groups can have their exclusive organizations, but if a conservative group wants to stand for their values their wrong. Not everything needs to be all inclusive.
To be honest, I also don't think women should lead troops either. Boys need to spend time away from mommy. I've been around troops with a female scout master. Its enevitable that one scout is her son and he is mother henned and you can tell it.

Please explain how it is different. You think gay people are just waiting for the moment they are alone with little boys?

Re: Think Boy Scouts is a good way to teach..... [Re: RanchoStarvo] #4125539 03/17/13 12:56 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: RanchoStarvo
Originally Posted By: Octopiston

Please explain how it is different. You think gay people are just waiting for the moment they are alone with little boys?

Doesn't matter. They're still disgusting. I won't have my kids around that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide