Print Thread
Anyone flown with their dogs? #4115824 03/12/13 03:35 AM
C
changedmyname Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Wherever we go on vacation this summer we will be taking the dog and we have almost all but decided on the US Virgin Islands. Yesterday I was reveiwing American Airlines' pet policy and it says that pets aren't allowed to be checked if the temperature is above 85 degrees at any stop. The USVI average temp in June looks to be about 89 degrees so it would be very close. I'm wondering if anyone has exeperience with this is in the summer and if you know how strict they are with this policy?

Thanks

Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: changedmyname] #4115893 03/12/13 04:10 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I would hope for your pets safety they are strict because the average is just that and its already 4 over.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: MS1454] #4116179 03/12/13 12:20 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Find a nice place to board the dog while you're gone.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: MDMORROW] #4116211 03/12/13 12:42 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: MDMORROW
Find a nice place to board the dog while you're gone.

2X
You will be at the weathers mercy, and the weather guy being a few degrees off could cost you your dog. Not to mention if the plane gets stuck waiting for an extended period of time.
A few months ago a dog was bumped from a flight until the next day. The airlines had decided to carry dry ice on that flight.
The owner had to get a hotel room and wait with the dog till the next day to fly.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: MDMORROW] #4116215 03/12/13 12:46 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
The concrete tarmac at DFW will be much hotter than 85 degrees in June. Plus, you will need a health certificate from your vet. USVI may require an international (rather than domestic) health certificate, which I can tell you from experience is time-consuming and expensive.

Get a reliable kid from your neighborhood to feed and exercise Fido daily. He can also pick up your mail, newspapers, etc, so your house doesn't invite burglars.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: changedmyname] #4116510 03/12/13 02:58 PM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
We went to the USVI 2 years ago and I can tell you that taking your dog is NOT a good idea. As far as I know, you won't be able to fly non-stop from DFW, we had to go through Charlotte, and coming back through Puerto Rico and Atlanta changing planes multiple times. Both legs took 10+ hours and between flight and ground (and water) travel times, it's a whole day each way. I sure wouldn't want the life of my dog depending on someone else during this type of trip... besides, you'll be stressed about the dog the whole time on a trip where you'll want to forget about stress.

Think about it... are you really taking the dog for his benefit or yours? Your pooch will be a lot happier in surroundings he's used to even if he has to be boarded for a week rather than dealing with the stress of flying in cargo holds where heat, cold, noise, pressure can really hammer a dog. Remember, it's not only the heat you'll have to worry about... even on a 100 degree day, the temps at 35,000 feet are in the -40 to -50 degree range.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: First_Chance] #4116625 03/12/13 03:48 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
My cousin owns one of these pet hotel places and that's where we leave our dogs. They have a big room and take them out to play with other dogs and what not. You can even look them up on a webcam. Traveling with your pets is inconvenient and stressful. If I'm going on a hunt out of state I just plan to use the outfitters dogs. I would never consider traveling internationally with them. I used to be a pilot at one of the major airlines, I can tell you from experience that you don't want your dog in the belly of the plane, especially in the summer.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: First_Chance] #4116774 03/12/13 05:16 PM
C
changedmyname Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: First_Chance
We went to the USVI 2 years ago and I can tell you that taking your dog is NOT a good idea. As far as I know, you won't be able to fly non-stop from DFW, we had to go through Charlotte, and coming back through Puerto Rico and Atlanta changing planes multiple times. Both legs took 10+ hours and between flight and ground (and water) travel times, it's a whole day each way. I sure wouldn't want the life of my dog depending on someone else during this type of trip... besides, you'll be stressed about the dog the whole time on a trip where you'll want to forget about stress.

Think about it... are you really taking the dog for his benefit or yours? Your pooch will be a lot happier in surroundings he's used to even if he has to be boarded for a week rather than dealing with the stress of flying in cargo holds where heat, cold, noise, pressure can really hammer a dog. Remember, it's not only the heat you'll have to worry about... even on a 100 degree day, the temps at 35,000 feet are in the -40 to -50 degree range.

Cargo holds are temp controlled at around 70 degrees and the flights we are looking at are 6 hours total but I understand what you are saying. it us gonna be a hassle so we'll probably go somewhere within driving distance instead.

Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: MDMORROW] #4116778 03/12/13 05:18 PM
C
changedmyname Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: MDMORROW
My cousin owns one of these pet hotel places and that's where we leave our dogs. They have a big room and take them out to play with other dogs and what not. You can even look them up on a webcam. Traveling with your pets is inconvenient and stressful. If I'm going on a hunt out of state I just plan to use the outfitters dogs. I would never consider traveling internationally with them. I used to be a pilot at one of the major airlines, I can tell you from experience that you don't want your dog in the belly of the plane, especially in the summer.

I understand not taking him on flights but I would never hunt out of state without my dog. He goes every where with us and it's not a hassle for us.

Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: changedmyname] #4116843 03/12/13 05:50 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: iliketohunt

Cargo holds are temp controlled at around 70 degrees and the flights we are looking at are 6 hours total but I understand what you are saying. it us gonna be a hassle so we'll probably go somewhere within driving distance instead.

That's true but all you need is for the apu, which provides electric and air flow on the ground and in some cases in flight to be deferred. This means that they are allowed to continue on with the flight even though something is broke. The plane could potentially go on but they wouldn't let animals in the hold. You'll then have to wait around for another flight or continue on without the dog until it can be put on a later flight. In the islands that could mean several days.

That's besides all the regulations and fees associated with bringing an animal to another country and then back into the US.

You wouldn't catch me doing it. If it's 100% necessary to take the dog with you, pick a domestic destination with lots of flights.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: changedmyname] #4116853 03/12/13 05:54 PM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F

I live north of DFW airport and have several buddies that are pilots. Find a pilot and ask him about the "puppy snuffer"...

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: First_Chance] #4116891 03/12/13 06:08 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: First_Chance

I live north of DFW airport and have several buddies that are pilots. Find a pilot and ask him about the "puppy snuffer"...

Good call

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: MDMORROW] #4116954 03/12/13 06:37 PM
C
changedmyname Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Lol, I don't know what the puppy snuffer is but talk have convinced me not to go to the usvi with him. I had all the regs/fees etc. researched and they wouldn't be a problem; it was just the temp issue. It would definitely suck if there was a delay or something and my wife would probably die from anxiety.

Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: changedmyname] #4120914 03/14/13 02:32 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Can you not make him a service dog and take him on the plane with you?

Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: Closed Traverse] #4121130 03/14/13 04:16 PM
C
changedmyname Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
That would be sweet. lol

Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: changedmyname] #4121141 03/14/13 04:27 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Just don't to forget to belt it in!

Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: changedmyname] #4121401 03/14/13 06:36 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
That would be sweet. lol

google making your dog a service dog. It is as simple as sending a 50 dollar check in and getting the packet in the mail.

Then you can basically take your dog anywhere as long as you have a disability.
My disability would be getting nervous in crowds or something.

Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: Closed Traverse] #4121468 03/14/13 07:15 PM
C
changedmyname Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
i could just act blind

Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: Closed Traverse] #4122875 03/15/13 02:17 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Brandon A
Can you not make him a service dog and take him on the plane with you?

Originally Posted By: Brandon A
That would be sweet. lol

google making your dog a service dog. It is as simple as sending a 50 dollar check in and getting the packet in the mail.

Then you can basically take your dog anywhere as long as you have a disability.
My disability would be getting nervous in crowds or something.

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!!!! Because so many people ARE, and because the dogs running around with those fake certificates are NOT performing in any way like true service dogs, there is legislation in the works that is going to make it increasingly difficult and expensive for folks who really DO need service dogs, to get them. And then they will face a lot of hassles that right now they are protected against thru ADA.

You should also know as a sportsman, that YOUR dog is protected against certain legislation here in Texas, thanks to the Lonestar Working Dog Association. (Google Working Dog Preservation Bill that we worked with Rep. James White to have authored, sponsored and passed - built into the Senfronia Thompson's "Puppy Mill Bill.") That same legislation protects police dogs, service dogs, herding dogs, hunting dogs and SAR dogs... any "working dog." When we give reasons to cry foul, we shoot ourselves in the foot and stand to lose these protections.

I am pretty stringent in the dogs I get certified, and like a lot of people who train and use real service dogs, we cringe when we see "puppy foo-foo" running around with fake 'credentials.' They are a true threat to the protections REAL service dogs have earned - and deserve. That's a high price for others (who NEED service dogs) to pay on account of those who abuse this loophole for convenience or selfishness.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #4123946 03/15/13 10:46 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Not to mention, on any aircraft it is up to the pilot in command (the captain) as to who or what goes on the aircraft. If the animal isn't behaving like a service dog and the pilots deem it as unsafe to have in the cabin of the aircraft then you could find yourself kicked off the plane and stranded wherever that might occur.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: MDMORROW] #4124095 03/16/13 12:34 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
You really can't ship your dog that time of year. Sorry but you're SOL. Most airlines DO NOT have temperature controlled cargo bays. They also ARE NOT pressurized. The only airline that did both was Continental and they were bought out by United. The once was Continental pet help desk is defunct and United is still not offering a whole lot of information if you call them.

Just have Chad or myself take the little bugger.. We will be happy to. He's hilarious!!!

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: Angie B] #4124200 03/16/13 01:50 AM
C
changedmyname Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
My wife actually said that when I told her flying with him was a no go, Angie! I think Chad would love that.

Re: Anyone flown with their dogs? [Re: Angie B] #4124354 03/16/13 03:28 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Angie B
You really can't ship your dog that time of year. Sorry but you're SOL. Most airlines DO NOT have temperature controlled cargo bays. They also ARE NOT pressurized. The only airline that did both was Continental and they were bought out by United. The once was Continental pet help desk is defunct and United is still not offering a whole lot of information if you call them.

Angie

Absolutely. I used Continental to ship pups/dogs for years and they were great. Used them ONCE after they joined with United and never again!

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide