Print Thread
Proud Papa #4111088 03/09/13 08:45 PM
O
Ol_Yeller Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
So I've been trying to learn about testing my little buddy Jack (14mo). I joined a retriever club a couple weeks ago and they were putting on a HRC Hunt test in Ravenna. The wife and I decided to go and observe.

After watching several people work their dogs, I got talked into giving it a try. Didn't really know what I was doing, but that didn't slow Jack down...he passed his 2 land and 2 water retrieves!! This pup is such a go getter I want to see how much he can achieve w/a rookie handler. Great people and a lot of fun!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."
Re: Proud Papa [Re: Ol_Yeller] #4111153 03/09/13 09:36 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Congratulatings. Another career and family man down the drain.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Proud Papa [Re: bill oxner] #4111250 03/09/13 10:48 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Nice. I always kick myself for not getting into that stuff.

[Linked Image]

Re: Proud Papa [Re: Fooshman] #4111351 03/10/13 12:09 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Fooshman
Nice. I always kick myself for not getting into that stuff.

It makes the season longer, but it's addictive.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Proud Papa [Re: bill oxner] #4111431 03/10/13 01:06 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Rusty says Jack does him proud. Hey Steve, I don't have time to run my dogs at hunt tests... how 'bout you run ol' Rusty for me? lol. Seriously... CONGRATS!!!!! You and Jack make a great team.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Proud Papa [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #4111514 03/10/13 01:51 AM
O
Ol_Yeller Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
Thanks all!!
Bill, I can sure appreciate the addiction part. I tend to jump in head first! Sure helps take the sting out of the season ending.
Foosh, go for it!! You can tell I'm no spring chicken.
Dawn, as soon as I figure out the whole retirement gig, I'm in!!! You can tell I'm a fan of your breeding program, I'm picturing the wife and I in an RV chasing hunt tests around!

Re: Proud Papa [Re: Ol_Yeller] #4111536 03/10/13 02:05 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Come on Dawn,,, My corgi got a started title at 12 months. The Wildrose training program needs an advocate in hunt tests. All have failed miserably,, but I know you and your brother are up to the task...

How about starting with a AKC junior hunter title??? It really is not that hard...

I'll even help you. I want to see the Wildrose training program succeed... I would like to see the program validated so it has more popularity...

I have many agility clients that have gone on to national competitions with their agility dogs that have gotten a senior and Master hunter in AKC. The methodology is similar...

You can do it..

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Proud Papa [Re: Angie B] #4111633 03/10/13 02:56 AM
O
Ol_Yeller Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: Angie B
Come on Dawn,,, My corgi got a started title at 12 months. The Wildrose training program needs an advocate in hunt tests. All have failed miserably,, but I know you and your brother are up to the task...

How about starting with a AKC junior hunter title??? It really is not that hard...

I'll even help you. I want to see the Wildrose training program succeed... I would like to see the program validated so it has more popularity...

I have many agility clients that have gone on to national competitions with their agility dogs that have gotten a senior and Master hunter in AKC. The methodology is similar...

You can do it..

Angie

So, were you trying to inadvertently bust my chops too...corgi really? Thanks!
Follow my posts and we'll see how Jack (IronSpikeRanch BlackJack Double Down) does on the wing and a prayer methodology!!

Re: Proud Papa [Re: Angie B] #4111931 03/10/13 07:07 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Angie B

You can do it..

Angie

That is quite the invitation, Angie. You want to "help" me? I'll tell you what..

YOU run my farm, shepherd my sheep; milk & tend to the dairy goats; feed, care for & gather eggs from the chickens; handle the horses and break the colts; hay the fields; fix all the fences; till, sow, water, weed and harvest the garden; fill in for me at my full-time career; and care for my disabled adult son (who, prior to my brother coming on board, was my only help) and then sure - it would be "easy." And yes, you're right... I COULD do it... but I'm juuuuuust not that interested. Of the many things vying for my precious little time day in and day out, the welfare of my son, my career and every living animal on this farm which depend on me (oh, and lest I forget to mention - the kennel) are far higher in the echelon of priorities than collecting ribbons for dogs (which ultimately, I'd just have to dust - even more work.) But you're right, for me it would be much easier to focus on that one little thing as compared to what I actually have to do every day. But we all make our own choices and I stand by mine.

Here's what you don't and probably never will understand about me... I'm not in this for my ego, pride, winning titles or "impressing" anyone. At the end of each day, at the end of my life, all that will matter is not the ribbons, public opinion or titles on a piece of paper... but whether I lived well and was a good steward to all that has been entrusted to me. I am involved with dogs because, pure and simple, I love them. And I have had the honor of meeting some wonderful people (like Steve, the OP) via my kennel. Romping, training and playing with dogs is my respite from the many responsibilities I have had for over a decade as a widow and a single mother of three with a farm and a full time career to hold down. My chosen methodology is a reflection of my desire to derive joy (not necessarily "hoorahs", titles or ribbons) from working with dogs - and on the up side, it just so happens to turn out reliable hunting dogs.

Now, I don't expect you to ever understand walking a mile in my shoes, let alone be able to - but you might do well to gain this tiny modicum of perspective: anything is "easy" when someone else is doing it; sarcasm, disdain, negativity and fault-finding are for the narrow-minded and short-sighted; and it's always more convenient (though far less honorable) to castigate & criticize another than to encourage, assist or heck... even just leave well enough alone.

That said, where would I be without you and your posts? You bring an element of 'entertainment' to these threads and you certainly put me in the spotlight far more often than any other single poster. For this, perhaps I should thank you.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Proud Papa [Re: Ol_Yeller] #4112505 03/10/13 06:07 PM
S
ShotGunWillie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Ol_Yeller
So I've been trying to learn about testing my little buddy Jack (14mo). I joined a retriever club a couple weeks ago and they were putting on a HRC Hunt test in Ravenna. The wife and I decided to go and observe.

After watching several people work their dogs, I got talked into giving it a try. Didn't really know what I was doing, but that didn't slow Jack down...he passed his 2 land and 2 water retrieves!! This pup is such a go getter I want to see how much he can achieve w/a rookie handler. Great people and a lot of fun!

My son and I watched as you decided to give it a go, congratulations!!! We failed the water test because my pup decided she needs an air strip to launch from not a bank side.

Nice looking dog and again congratulations, my 4 year old liked the red dawg

Re: Proud Papa [Re: ShotGunWillie] #4112798 03/10/13 09:10 PM
3 alarm bbq Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
Congrats to you and your dog!

Re: Proud Papa [Re: 3 alarm bbq] #4113835 03/11/13 11:28 AM
C
CCRTX Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Big Congrats, Rumors are true it's very addictive! But it's a wonderful Sport, and cowtown hrc is a fabulous club. Keep up the hard work..

JC

Oh,, the rest of y'all let him brag on his pup, and take the bickering else where! smile

Train Hard or GO HOME!!!
We are CCR
Re: Proud Papa [Re: CCRTX] #4113936 03/11/13 01:06 PM
O
Ol_Yeller Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
No worries JC, water off a duck's back...

ShotGunWillie, the wife and I were really pullin' for your good looking pup. Thought she was going to go. We also thought your boy was a trooper, as cold and windy as it was, seemed like he always had a smile on his face!

Thanks all for the congrats!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide