Print Thread
How would you change Exotics in Texas #4110090 03/09/13 03:47 AM
A
axismaster Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Say that your a Texas Rancher during the 1920's. A time before anyone has introduced any foreign game animals. You have complete control, have a map, all the right connections, to bring animals in. How would you change the face of exotic game ranching/hunting for us?

What new species would you introduce? Which wouldn't you?

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: axismaster] #4110097 03/09/13 03:51 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Ligers, unicorns, albino chupas, rhinos, elephants, crocodiles,
painted dogs, and black panthers of course

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: axismaster] #4110113 03/09/13 04:02 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: axismaster
Say that your a Texas Rancher during the 1920's. A time before anyone has introduced any foreign game animals. You have complete control, have a map, all the right connections, to bring animals in. How would you change the face of exotic game ranching/hunting for us?

freaking liger hunting would be sweet! those things are HUGE!

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #4110119 03/09/13 04:04 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #4110445 03/09/13 01:55 PM
A
axismaster Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
What is the thing in the last pic..... 0_o

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: axismaster] #4110653 03/09/13 03:50 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Freaking likeness of a liger

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #4110753 03/09/13 04:55 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Pretty much my favorite animal

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: cmc] #4110842 03/09/13 05:56 PM
A
axismaster Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Well, first off. I'd buy a high fence 20,000 acre property in the scrublands near Del Rio Texas. I'd import Sudanese and Ethopian species there.

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: axismaster] #4111544 03/10/13 02:10 AM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
what about the manbearpig

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: Phantom] #4111555 03/10/13 02:16 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Elephants. Maybe hippos, but definitely elephants.

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: Sneaky] #4111802 03/10/13 04:31 AM
S
Sevens Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Elephants, black rhino, and cape buffalo would be heavily introduced. Some guar, banteng, takin and okapi would be introduced as well. Some of the other species I would introduce and try to make more plentiful (some already are plentiful and others are not):

Blackbuck
Nile Lechwe
Markhor
Nubian ibex
Grant's Gazelle
Thomsen's Gazelle
Lesser Kudu
Nilgai
Lord Derby Eland
Yellow-backed duiker
Bongo
Nyala
Scimitar Oryx
Addax
Dama Gazelle
Sommerings Gazelle
Tsessebee
Puku
Kob
Sable
Roan
Black Wildebeest
Auodad
Transcaspian Urial
Bezoar Ibex

Honestly, take pretty much any and every African animal you can find and put it in Texas. The more rare the better. Just about the only animals I would shy away from are the axis and follow deer and the corsican type sheep. Don't get me wrong, they are great and fairly cheap to hunt, but would much rather be reading "$1500 for any Grant's Gazelle you want, we are over run with them" or "We got plenty of takin for the taking, $2000 for any one you want." Not sure what the game laws were back in 1920, but if they don't say anything about the big cats, bring droves of lion, leopard, and tigers and spread them all over the USA. Heck, spread all the exotic animals mentioned above across the USA.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today...
Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: Sevens] #4111819 03/10/13 04:43 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Sevens
Elephants, black rhino, and cape buffalo would be heavily introduced. Some guar, banteng, takin and okapi would be introduced as well. Some of the other species I would introduce and try to make more plentiful (some already are plentiful and others are not):

Blackbuck
Nile Lechwe
Markhor
Nubian ibex
Grant's Gazelle
Thomsen's Gazelle
Lesser Kudu
Nilgai
Lord Derby Eland
Yellow-backed duiker
Bongo
Nyala
Scimitar Oryx
Addax
Dama Gazelle
Sommerings Gazelle
Tsessebee
Puku
Kob
Sable
Roan
Black Wildebeest
Auodad
Transcaspian Urial
Bezoar Ibex

Honestly, take pretty much any and every African animal you can find and put it in Texas. The more rare the better. Just about the only animals I would shy away from are the axis and follow deer and the corsican type sheep. Don't get me wrong, they are great and fairly cheap to hunt, but would much rather be reading "$1500 for any Grant's Gazelle you want, we are over run with them" or "We got plenty of takin for the taking, $2000 for any one you want." Not sure what the game laws were back in 1920, but if they don't say anything about the big cats, bring droves of lion, leopard, and tigers and spread them all over the USA. Heck, spread all the exotic animals mentioned above across the USA.

alot of the above mentioned animals cant survive in a texas climate.

thats why they are only here in limited numbers

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: Phantom] #4111822 03/10/13 04:44 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: brianl
what about the manbearpig

it takes a 12' high fence to contain manbearpig

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #4111873 03/10/13 05:32 AM
A
axismaster Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Blackbuck
Nile Lechwe
Markhor
Nubian ibex
Grant's Gazelle
Thomsen's Gazelle
Lesser Kudu
Nilgai
Lord Derby Eland
Yellow-backed duiker
Bongo
Nyala
Scimitar Oryx
Addax
Dama Gazelle
Sommerings Gazelle
Tsessebee
Puku
Kob
Sable
Roan
Black Wildebeest
Auodad
Transcaspian Urial
Bezoar Ibex

Surely a nice patch in Del Rio or South Texas can fit?

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: axismaster] #4112088 03/10/13 02:06 PM
S
Sevens Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
People weren't so messed up and extreme back in 1920, I could probably put animals in a lot more places. I'm sure Southern California and Florida could house many of the more tropical type animals. Maybe some Argali and ibex up in the rocky mountains...

There is a lot about the world I would change if I could go back to 1920 though.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today...
Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: axismaster] #4112209 03/10/13 03:14 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Blackbuck
Nile Lechwe
Markhor
Nubian ibex
Grant's Gazelle
Thomsen's Gazelle
Lesser Kudu
Nilgai
Lord Derby Eland
Yellow-backed duiker
Bongo
Nyala
Scimitar Oryx
Addax
Dama Gazelle
Sommerings Gazelle
Tsessebee
Puku
Kob
Sable
Roan
Black Wildebeest
Auodad
Transcaspian Urial
Bezoar Ibex

Surely a nice patch in Del Rio or South Texas can fit?

Del rio area isn't exactly prime real estate. Dry, Rocky and with the anthrax outbreaks in val verde county, you can loose a substantial amount of animals.

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: Sevens] #4112215 03/10/13 03:18 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
People weren't so messed up and extreme back in 1920, I could probably put animals in a lot more places. I'm sure Southern California and Florida could house many of the more tropical type animals. Maybe some Argali and ibex up in the rocky mountains...

There is a lot about the world I would change if I could go back to 1920 though.

if they could have survived, they would be here in greater numbers.

it wasn't for a lack of trying on landowners parts in the hill country.

alot of ranchers in south texas don't want exotics competeing with their trophy whitetail.

and other states sure as hell don't want other types of sheep in their bighorn country. Just look at what they are doing to the aoudad in the trans-pecos area

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #4112234 03/10/13 03:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

alot of ranchers in south texas don't want exotics competeing with their trophy whitetail.

and other states sure as hell don't want other types of sheep in their bighorn country. Just look at what they are doing to the aoudad in the trans-pecos area

Dont forget competition with cattle

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: axismaster] #4112239 03/10/13 03:33 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

The key to upholding price of exotics is supply and demand, but at the same time stocking species that are affordable... make no sense to have a 200 50k a peice animals if your only going to be able to sell on ever two years.

So IMO I wouldnt change anything that was done previously

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4112280 03/10/13 03:53 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Dont forget competition with cattle

and sheep and goats.

at onetime not long ago, whitetail were considered pests to goat ranchers

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #4117584 03/13/13 12:06 AM
A
axismaster Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
I sort of thought of a scenario where Axis Deer, Sika Deer, Fallow Deer, Blackbuck antelope, Aoudad and European Mouflon have become even more widespread and prolific due to them being the only exotics ever imported in the 'What If' scenario.

Re: How would you change Exotics in Texas [Re: axismaster] #4117593 03/13/13 12:11 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I sort of thought of a scenario where Axis Deer, Sika Deer, Fallow Deer, Blackbuck antelope, Aoudad and European Mouflon have become even more widespread and prolific due to them being the only exotics ever imported in the 'What If' scenario.

they probably wouldn't be any more widespread than they are now.

as adaptable as they are, they arn't condusive to every type of habitat. for instance, what is good aoudad country is terrible for blackbuck, and vice versa.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide