Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,699
Posts9,727,904
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Stadium Lights, Laser Beams, Bobcats, and Hawks landing on the truck! REALLY? (Long read, pic heavy) #4104425 03/06/13 08:10 PM
N
Night Crew Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
N
Talk about a circus! This past monday night, myself and Jared decided to run out for a few quick stands with hopes of closing the deal on a late season critter or two. We had no idea the first 30 minutes of that night would produce the most ridiculous predator stand ever made in the history of North Texas (Literally).

Our first stand was in a relatively rural area close to the edge of town that we had already called two times earlier this season, yielding a varmint or two on each occasion. It was a "one" call spot located directly behind the landowner's house with a thick creek bottom bordering the east property line (the perfect place for a north Texas critter). The first two time we had ever been to this location was after dark and were only there for thirty minutes tops. As a result, we never really got a good look at what was located on the "other" side of the creek less than 100 yards from where all the previous animals to respond to our call had come from earlier this year. WE WERE ABOUT TO FIND OUT!

As we pulled in the driveway, we realized it was a little bright in our little honey hole as the entire opening which we had elected to set up was being illuminated by the biggest stadium lights we had ever seen (at least it seemed that way)! It was like the Friday night lights of predator hunting except on a monday night. CRAP! For starters, we couldn't believe the whole time we had called this particular spot earlier this year we had been less than 150 yards from a huge baseball field calling up critters left and right but we did. This past monday was the opening day of little league practice and we had not factored that into our game plan lol. Nevertheless, our attitude was pretty much "heck we have come all the way out here so lets just make a call and see what happens". Call us stupid if you want but we didn't have anything better to do.

If you can create a mental picture of driving a high rack into a lit up baseball field rite after they just turned the lights off and they are still powering down, thats about how bright it was in this field. Regardless, we were hell bent on making a call so we headed into the pasture with a spot light running as we made our approach. As we slowly creeped up on our designated location to make a call, I heard a tap on the cab of the truck (the kind of tap telling me a predator has been spotted). After immediately stopping the truck and jumping up in the rig, there was no doubt we had encountered a bobcat out mousing around less than a few hundred yards from where we were headed to call. GAME TIME! Jared did a great job of holding his attention long enough for me to get the camera and call set up to try and close the deal. To our amazement, the second the call sounded off, this cat kicked it into gear heading straight to the truck. As the cat made his approach and the camera was rolling, we worked him into no less than 8-10 steps from the front of the truck only to hear the most feared sound a hunter could ever hear. "CLICK"

Amongst all the commotion with the stadium lights, Jared had not only forgotten to load the Savage, but had also left every round we had with us in the truck. We realized we were on a sight seeing mission at this point and had to let this bobcat just turn and walk away. What do you do?

This was where it started getting a little weird! About the time this cat gets out of sight, a neighbor across the creek takes it upon himself to start lighting us up with the brightest blue laser we have ever seen. It was obviously apparent to him that we "MUST" be breaking the law cause we were shining a spot light in a field at night from a truck. "NOTE: to all neighbors, this is TEXAS folks. I would like to tell all of you that we took the high road and let him have his neighborhood watch crime stopper moment of fame all by himself and his blue light but unfortunately thats not how it went down. He showed us his so we showed him ours as we knew we were perfectly legal lol! After a several minute light stand off, I guess he realized he had met his match and went back inside to watch his monitors where he belonged. Could this event get any weirder? Yes it can!

After messing with Paul Blart for a while, Jared decides to make a pan with the light and realized we had called up another Bobcat in between us and the baseball field. Unfortunately, this one had seen more than he wanted to see and immediately turned and headed into the creek with no footage or fur. We really wanted to go by and thank Paul across the creek at this point! This circus was shutting down and we were done with it at this point!! SO WE THOUGHT.

As we were packing up in disbelief of what had just transpired, something to our left caught both of our attention. It was a hawk and he was on a mission! Any predator hunter would pretty much think no big deal (including us) as we have birds come to a call all the time. Usually they will come in and flare when they realize you are there. This one didn't! Once he got within ten feet from the truck (still going as fast as he could go) we both started backing up not wanting to get bird rushed and clawed in the face lol! We have experienced some crazy things but have never had a wild hawk land on the cab of the truck less than two feet from both of us. It was nuts! We looked at each other like "you have got to be kidding me". He stayed there for at least 20 seconds and long enough for me to get the camera on so everyone would believe this story.

It was a little creepy hearing his claws click on the metal as he walked two legged across the cab of the truck looking for a meal.

At one point I had the lens of the camera about a foot from him until he finally took off. About that time the stadium lights went off and we knew it was time to go.

Sorry for the long post, but we just had to tell this story. Take care from the Night Crew.

Night hunting professionals...
Re: Stadium Lights, Laser Beams, Bobcats, and Hawks landing on the truck! REALLY? (Long read, pic heavy) [Re: Night Crew] #4104494 03/06/13 08:34 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Cool bird & cat pics!

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Stadium Lights, Laser Beams, Bobcats, and Hawks landing on the truck! REALLY? (Long read, pic heavy) [Re: d.g.ruff] #4104581 03/06/13 09:17 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Could understand an owl, but surprising that a hawk responded during night and with the lights. This post does bring one thing to mind, always know what is beyond your line of shooting. The stadium looks well within bullet range, I have been in a barn when bullets started hitting and whizzing through, very uncomfortable feeling. Shooters did not realize their bullets were ricocheting into the barn roof.

At our ranch house south of Dublin we had two owls take up a evening residence on the TV tower, which was fine because they were getting vermin, but it was unnerving to walk outside and know they were watching the top of your head. You could hit them with the spotlight and it did not faze them, they stayed for about two months.

This is what you call an honest 'close-up' photo.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Stadium Lights, Laser Beams, Bobcats, and Hawks landing on the truck! REALLY? (Long read, pic heavy) [Re: blackcoal] #4104612 03/06/13 09:32 PM
R
R.M. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
cool Pic's

Re: Stadium Lights, Laser Beams, Bobcats, and Hawks landing on the truck! REALLY? (Long read, pic heavy) [Re: R.M.] #4104818 03/06/13 10:56 PM
D
DocBailey Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Crazy story!! Awesome pics

Re: Stadium Lights, Laser Beams, Bobcats, and Hawks landing on the truck! REALLY? (Long read, pic heavy) [Re: DocBailey] #4104948 03/06/13 11:55 PM
R
Rollandshoot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
He landed in the light saying look at me! Beautiful bird.

Originally Posted By: smithwr
If you are able to remember stupid stuff the next day, your doing it wrong.

At least anything worthy of mentioning.
Re: Stadium Lights, Laser Beams, Bobcats, and Hawks landing on the truck! REALLY? (Long read, pic heavy) [Re: Rollandshoot] #4105469 03/07/13 02:48 AM
T
Tim9880 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
T
Nice Story and pics!

Re: Stadium Lights, Laser Beams, Bobcats, and Hawks landing on the truck! REALLY? (Long read, pic heavy) [Re: Tim9880] #4105575 03/07/13 03:31 AM
I
IHateFeralPigs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I
you know your predator calling sounds are good when you can fool the hawks and owls grin

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide