Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Feeder Light & Hog Hunt #4101342 03/05/13 06:22 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I have used a Hog Kill Light with remote but haven't had any hogs come to the feeder while I was watching. Then I read a positive review of a motion sensing hog light like this: < cllick here >.

I called the folks at Elusive Wildlife but they have no motion sensor for my Hog Kill Light. I wanted something the hogs could get used to & no only light up when I was there.

I didn't want to spend much so I found this light: < click here > on Amazon for less than $20. I went to the hardware store and bought a piece of green plastic in the window film department and covered the lens (not the motion sensor).

Two weeks ago, I hooked it to a tree by my feeder. Here's a pic of some undisturbed hogs eating corn:

This past weekend, I took a buddy hunting. This was going to be the first time hunting since I installed the light.

We were sitting in the blind about 75 yards from the feeder in pitch dark. About 7:45 PM, the light came on and a bunch of pigs came snorting into the feeder area. The light didn't phase them.

We lowered our rifles and could see well enough without supplemental lighting to clearly see everything in the feeder area. But we had lights mounted on our rifles & had to see how they worked. We both turned our lights on and the hogs kept eating.

I was so excited that the motion light worked and that I could see so clearly that I didn't pick out a hog to shoot. I was busy looking at how much area the light covered and counting hogs when my buddy let one fly.

We went to the feeder and couldn't find a drop of blood. I looked through his 30-06 scope and saw that he still had his front sight mounted and the white dot reflected the light back into the scope.

We concluded that he shot at the shadow instead of the hog.

Here is the hog he was shooting at.

I told him that hog would be easy to identify in the future. It will be the only one on the lease running around without a shadow.

The next night we tried again. We sat in the blind from 4 PM until Midnight but the only thing lighting up the area was a opossum. The wind was blowing constantly and gusting up to 30 mph. We did see a herd of deer come to the pond. The adult does stood on the levee while about 8 yearlings splashed in the water and played tag. It was like two soccer mom's dropping the kids off at the pool. I'll post that video as soon as I get a decent video editing program.

On our drive back to camp, we saw two young deer running along the gravel road in front of us. I drove slow & we just watched them. As we approached a turn we had to slow down so a string of hogs could cross in front of us. We lost count at 20. Dang those laws saying you can't shoot hogs from the car. I could feel my Glock struggling to get out of the holster.

Even though we went home without a pig, it was a very eventful weekend.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: donswin] #4101408 03/05/13 06:49 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
If you are just driving across your pasture you can get out and shoot them.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: passthru] #4101694 03/05/13 08:34 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Unfortunately, we were on gravel county roads. If we had been on my lease property, we'd have jumped out and fired away.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: donswin] #4101947 03/05/13 09:59 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4102796 03/06/13 03:07 AM
G
gator1332 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Never hunted hogs at night. looks and sounds fun.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: gator1332] #4103206 03/06/13 06:05 AM
GarayOutdoors Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I've got the same light! I love it! Just wish there was a way of mounting a solar panel to it.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: GarayOutdoors] #4103233 03/06/13 06:45 AM
12ring Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
How long does the light stay on when motion activated ? And how long do batteries last and what batteries ?

I recently put WGI Moonlights on 2 diff feeders. Less than a week and both deer and pigs are already comfortable w them. Use 6V rechargable and have solar option. Can be set to come on at dusk and run for 2, 4, or 6 hrs constant. I set mine on motion detect mode and stays on 20 secs (or 20 secs after last motion is detected). Battery supposed to last apprx 100 days wo solar help. I plan on keeping extra batt hot and changing as needed. Been out near two wks and still going strong.

Light and battery was $63 out the door, @ Academy.

Last edited by 12ring; 03/06/13 06:47 AM. Reason: typo

feathers don't fly, nothing gonna die !
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: 12ring] #4103305 03/06/13 11:39 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
How long does the light stay on when motion activated ? And how long do batteries last and what batteries ?

The light stays on for about 30 seconds. The batteries last a fair amount of time. I have units on trails in the woods that have been in place for over 6 months that still work on their first set. On one feeder, I had to change the batteries at 4 months. On the other feeder, it was 3 or 4 weeks later. So it definitely depends on traffic.

I like mine because I can use them in the woods where I don't get sunshine.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4103616 03/06/13 02:52 PM
T
TexasOutfitters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
There is a green motion sensor light, marketed as the Hoginator17, which is mounted on a post, can be placed in the ground anywhere. Stays on 30 sec, batts last for months, lights up 300sf area.

Here's a feature video about it and can be purchased here:
https://www.greatlifesports.com/

They now have a red light version also.

I'll be hunting with the green light version spring break in east tx.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: TexasOutfitters] #4103717 03/06/13 03:34 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Right, the Hoginator is basically a Mr Beams light with either transparency film (like I used) or a tinted lens and stuck on a pole.

You could use 5 cents of transparency on a $5 t-post and a quarter's worth of wire along with a $20 Mr Beams and have virtually the same product. If you have to buy the whole $6 package of transparencies, pay for tax and shipping and such, you might be out $35 for the first one, but then have transparency material to do a dozen more lights.

The Hoginator is fine, but making virtually the same product yourself will save you enough to make two and have a decent lunch.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4103882 03/06/13 04:28 PM
T
TexasOutfitters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

The Hoginator is fine, but making virtually the same product yourself will save you enough to make two and have a decent lunch.

That's partially true.

The $35 solution doesn't get it mounted on a pole for you that's easy to move from location to location.

You can throw it in the truck and use in different places which is what I do. And it's easy to move around at a feeder if necessary.

In the end, most hog lights can be built from home in some sense but the guy who makes the Hoginator is running a small business in Texas and I like to support those guys.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4103931 03/06/13 04:49 PM
Dragonuv Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker

Gentlemen, at the risk of sounding like an a-hole, this needs to be said for your own protection....

I am not trying to speak for, or put words in the mouth of, Terrys Great Outdoors, but it should be unequivocally stated that the The Hoginator17 is a patented product. Replicating it in any way, shape or form could lead to a massive lawsuit, one which could cause you to lose everything. If his patent attorney is like mine, I'd hate to be on the wrong end of a copyright infringement subpoena. Simply adding a green film to mimic a Hoginator17 could land you in a LOT of hot water. If you want to make a green light, make sure it is markedly different in design and function, otherwise you are leaving yourself open for a lawsuit that you can't win. Even if you make just one for your personal use, it is a violation.

I know that if anyone unknowingly reproduced any of my patented designs/utilities, even vaguely, they'd get a cease & desist warning. If it continued, I'd let my patent attorney have a field day with them. Depending on the circumstance, and this forum is one of those circumstances, a cease & desist letter may not be given. Typically a C&D letter will be given to someone who does not know they are reproducing a patented item. In this case, no one here can claim they didn't know the Hoginator17 existed.

I/we have 3 new models of hi-power hi-performance feeder/large-area lights getting ready to debut in a few weeks that will blow everything else on the market completely away.
As a designer and R&D'er, I can tell you that there is a lot of sweat, time, and a boatload of cash involved in bringing a product to fruition. It's cost me over 2 yrs and almost $50k to get them to the point that they are ready for mass production. I know Terry's Great Outdoors has a lot of time and money invested as well in the Hoginator17 and they would hate to have all their hard work negated by someone copying their product.

Just thought it would only be fair to bring this up since, as far as I know, it hasn't been mentioned before.

Last edited by Dragonuv; 03/06/13 10:41 PM.
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4104111 03/06/13 05:57 PM
12ring Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
I'm definitely gonna check into those.
The WGI has 3 "snake light" type lights you can point in diff directions and come w clear, red, blue, and green lenses. I leave the colored lenses off cause they are not as bright as the clear.

My feeder here at the house is 142 yds from patio door and I could make the shot w just a scope. No extra light needed. I can see it come on from my computer desk, lol. Just haven't caught a pig at it while I'm watching. frown

feathers don't fly, nothing gonna die !
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: 12ring] #4104243 03/06/13 06:49 PM
Dragonuv Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
The WGI lights are hit and miss when it comes to their sensor. They sometimes come on for no reason, and often do not come on at all when activity is right in front of it. It was just a poor design to start with. The sensor is in a bad place. Its been their Achilles Heel since they've been on the market. Making it to aim straight down through three lights was not a very smart idea. You'll get your $50 worth out of it, but I wouldn't expect anything more.
Our new lights have the sensor on the front so you get maximum range with no light fixtures, or other blockage, getting in its way, as all 4 of our flexible light arms are on the sides. I'm just using ours as an example, as it isn't fair to WGI to compare them. It would be like comparing a biplane to an F-22, or a Bic lighter to a flame thrower. They are two different animals that happen to share the same goal.

Last edited by Dragonuv; 03/06/13 06:54 PM.
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Dragonuv] #4104396 03/06/13 08:00 PM
T
Terri's Great Outdoors Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
LOL. thanks for posting that dragonov. i had already called and talked to patent attorney. he is having me save all these posts.
only going to let it go so far.we didnt spend that much money to give it away. you said it alot better than i would have. thats why i was waiting on saying anything until i talked to him.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Terri's Great Outdoors] #4104983 03/07/13 12:14 AM
P
preston629 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
How can he get in trouble for building something himself? Doesnt seem like hes mass producing and selling?

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: preston629] #4105181 03/07/13 01:36 AM
Dragonuv Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Here is an excerpt from the USPTO regarding patent infringement:

"Infringement of a patent consists of the unauthorized making, using, offering for sale, or selling any patented invention within the United States or U.S. Territories, or importing into the United States of any patented invention during the term of the patent. If a patent is infringed, the patentee may sue for relief in the appropriate federal court."

Most people never give it a thought, but you have to look at it from a business perspective. If you came up with an idea, spent hundreds of hours on research and design, spent all of your money to invest in attorneys, production, packaging, marketing, and shipping...would you want anyone to make something like yours and take money out of your pocket? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't. I know I don't.

That's not to say you guys can't make one of your own design, you just can't make one of someone else's design.

Terry's Great Outdoors came up with a great product, and in addition to being illegal, it just wouldn't be fair to TGO to copy their product. They are normal folks like you and me, and don't deserve to have their hard work copied and consequently, money taken out of their pocket. Also, they started out as members of the Texas Hunting Forum, and we should be supporting them. They were inspired by folks like us to come up with something that a lot of people have found satisfaction with. They filled a niche that needed filled, and should be commended on their hard work and perseverance. That's the American dream, lets not screw them out of it.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Dragonuv] #4105325 03/07/13 02:06 AM
P
preston629 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
He didnt make anything. he bought a light and stuck it to a tree.

So yall gonna sue him for putting green tape on a motion light he bought off amazon and strapped to a tree?

Last edited by preston629; 03/07/13 02:08 AM.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: preston629] #4105564 03/07/13 03:25 AM
Dragonuv Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: preston629
So yall gonna sue him for putting green tape on a motion light he bought off amazon and strapped to a tree?

You'll have to ask their attorney that question.

For all we know, TGO could have licensed that design to another manufacturer, or even several other manufacturers.

My intention wasn't to start a debate, I just wanted to give you guys a heads up on the laws concerning these things so none of you would get in trouble. I figured that was the considerate thing to do. If you have any issues with the federal regulations concerning such things, you'll have to take it up with the United States Patent And Trademark Office.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Dragonuv] #4105614 03/07/13 03:43 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted By: Dragonuv

Gentlemen, at the risk of sounding like an a-hole, this needs to be said for your own protection....

I am not trying to speak for, or put words in the mouth of, Terrys Great Outdoors, but it should be unequivocally stated that the The Hoginator17 is a patented product. Replicating it in any way, shape or form could lead to a massive lawsuit, one which could cause you to lose everything. If his patent attorney is like mine, I'd hate to be on the wrong end of a copyright infringement subpoena. Simply adding a green film to mimic a Hoginator17 could land you in a LOT of hot water. If you want to make a green light, make sure it is markedly different in design and function, otherwise you are leaving yourself open for a lawsuit that you can't win. Even if you make just one for your personal use, it is a violation.

I know that if anyone unknowingly reproduced any of my patented designs/utilities, even vaguely, they'd get a cease & desist warning. If it continued, I'd let my patent attorney have a field day with them. Depending on the circumstance, and this forum is one of those circumstances, a cease & desist letter may not be given. Typically a C&D letter will be given to someone who does not know they are reproducing a patented item. In this case, no one here can claim they didn't know the Hoginator17 existed.

I/we have 3 new models of hi-power hi-performance feeder/large-area lights getting ready to debut in a few weeks that will blow everything else on the market completely away.
As a designer and R&D'er, I can tell you that there is a lot of sweat, time, and a boatload of cash involved in bringing a product to fruition. It's cost me over 2 yrs and almost $50k to get them to the point that they are ready for mass production. I know Terry's Great Outdoors has a lot of time and money invested as well in the Hoginator17 and they would hate to have all their hard work negated by someone copying their product.

Just thought it would only be fair to bring this up since, as far as I know, it hasn't been mentioned before.

you are right you sound like an a hole. What exactly is the patent. I do not quiver at attorney threats . It is a two way street . Just how much do you want to spend. Either way terry will not get my business

Big Beckett!!
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Ramsey] #4105652 03/07/13 03:58 AM
P
preston629 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
They both just lost a bunch of business threatening the op with a lawsuit.

Buncha keyboard lawyers

Last edited by preston629; 03/07/13 03:59 AM.

Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: preston629] #4105674 03/07/13 04:10 AM
HBone Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I'll never buy one, good luck bulling someone else. Home Depot better watch out for selling those lights....

Last edited by HBone; 03/07/13 04:37 AM.
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Ramsey] #4105720 03/07/13 04:33 AM
Dragonuv Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Ramsey
Originally Posted By: Dragonuv

you are right you sound like an a hole. What exactly is the patent. I do not quiver at attorney threats . It is a two way street . Just how much do you want to spend. Either way terry will not get my business

I didn't make the laws, I'm just telling you what they are, if I am an a-hole for trying to help you guys, then I can live with that. I don't really see why you guys are getting bent out of shape over it. No one is threatening anyone. It's an FYI post, not an "or else" post.

Last edited by Dragonuv; 03/07/13 04:37 AM.
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: Dragonuv] #4105773 03/07/13 05:03 AM
HBone Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Yes y'all did threaten him with the above post stating that his attorney told him to save this post. Why would you say that? Y'all are being ridiculous again, I will never do business with people like you.

Last edited by HBone; 03/07/13 05:04 AM.
Re: Feeder Light & Hog Hunt [Re: HBone] #4105804 03/07/13 05:27 AM
C
curt o Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Arrogance abounds.

Patience is the key
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread