Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,582
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species #4099493 03/04/13 11:48 PM
Dragonuv Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Weekly Newsletter from Congressman Randy Neugebauer

Lesser Prairie-Chicken Update

Earlier this month, I led my colleagues in an effort to get the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) Director Daniel Ashe to extend the public comment period before the potential listing of the Lesser Prairie-Chicken as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act (ESA). If the lesser prairie-chicken is listed as threatened, it will have sweeping consequences for landowners in West Texas and neighboring states. Director Ashe agreed to re-open the comment period, but he declined to extend the final listing deadline. I’m disappointed the final deadline hasn’t been extended because it will create a shortened review period that doesn’t take into account the complexity of this proposal.

However, I am glad that landowners will have more time to comment on the range-wide conservation plan. I want to thank all of the West Texans who have been actively involved in this issue, and helped to make this happen. Farmers, ranchers, landowners, and energy producers have all come together to take part in this process, and because of your efforts, we’re making progress.

Last edited by Dragonuv; 03/04/13 11:48 PM.
Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: Dragonuv] #4099502 03/04/13 11:52 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
how would it have sweeping consequences for landowners?

curious about that

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: txtrophy85] #4099578 03/05/13 12:30 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

curious about that

Me too

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #4099589 03/05/13 12:36 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Could it be that they would place some restrictions on grazing, farming and land use in general? Remember what happened in Central Texas with the Black Capped Vireo and Golden Cheek Warbler when they were on the the list. You could not remove old stands of cedar at random it had to be an approved plan.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: stxranchman] #4099612 03/05/13 12:45 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Could it be that they would place some restrictions on grazing, farming and land use in general? Remember what happened in Central Texas with the Black Capped Vireo and Golden Cheek Warbler when they were on the the list. You could not remove old stands of cedar at random it had to be an approved plan.

I've gotten a bunch of emails from oklahoma department of wildlife assuring that won't happen but we shall see

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4099634 03/05/13 12:51 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I've gotten a bunch of emails from oklahoma department of wildlife assuring that won't happen but we shall see

We all know that can change in a heartbeat when the final ruling and wording are in place.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: stxranchman] #4099765 03/05/13 01:50 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Thanks ranchman, that gives a little bit of perspective. Would not like to see any type of land restrictions.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: stxranchman] #4099948 03/05/13 02:44 AM
S
Southtexas36 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S

Yep they protect the habitat too. I'm working with a client in LA where they are protecting habitat, where the endangered species has not been observed living there in over 50 yrs.
Can't use or develop his property as he wants.

Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: Southtexas36] #4100122 03/05/13 03:44 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
if you have an endangered species on your property, your options with the land go waaaaay down. Prairie chicken habitat means no development, no grazing, mowing and burning only at certain times, etc etc..

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
I like spoonie, his humor is dryer than my duck lease.
Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: Southtexas36] #4100124 03/05/13 03:45 AM
A
activescrape Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Southtexas36

Yep they protect the habitat too. I'm working with a client in LA where they are protecting habitat, where the endangered species has not been observed living there in over 50 yrs.
Ivory Billed Woodpecker?

"It's not dyin' I'm talkin' about Woodrow, it's livin'!"
Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: activescrape] #4100250 03/05/13 04:35 AM
S
Southtexas36 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: activescrape
Originally Posted By: Southtexas36

Ivory Billed Woodpecker?

No, a little frog called a gopher frog

Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: txtrophy85] #4100461 03/05/13 12:34 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

curious about that

The first mistake is thinking this has anything to do with the preservation of Lesser Prairie Chickens. It's another run at trying to stop drilling and exploration on private property, it didn't work with that damn lizard so this is their next shot. You got chickens well son ya can't drill their!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: HWY_MAN] #4100508 03/05/13 01:01 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

curious about that

The first mistake is thinking this has anything to do with the preservation of Lesser Prairie Chickens. It's another run at trying to stop drilling and exploration on private property, it didn't work with that damn lizard so this is their next shot. You got chickens well son ya can't drill their!

That is exactly right!

On the lighter side:

If they put the "Lesser Prairie Chicken" on the list and the population goes up would they then be called the "More or Lesser Prairie Chicken"?

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: Hunt n Fish] #4100641 03/05/13 02:00 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

curious about that

That is exactly right!

On the lighter side:

If they put the "Lesser Prairie Chicken" on the list and the population goes up would they then be called the "More or Lesser Prairie Chicken"?

I've seen them a few times when I was chasing wells and going to Ruidoso, they get in the road in front of me and I can assure you they'll be at least one Lesser.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: txtrophy85] #4102738 03/06/13 02:55 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A

curious about that

It is just something that Randy's yuppie staff told him to say.

Re: Lesser Prairie Chicken could be listed as an Endangered Species [Re: aeb] #4104272 03/06/13 07:01 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
It could stop all types of hunting.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide