Print Thread
Coyote Questions #4087623 02/27/13 09:53 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
We are surrounded it sounds like every nite with coyote's. I've heard song dogs sing all my life, but I am hearing a different call it seems like more and more frequently. Where I live, on the east side of the Little Mineral Arm of Lake Texoma, we have super thick brushy areas on COE ground in a mile long creek bottom across the street from my house. They never seem to come up into the subdivision, but I have routed them out of a bed right after light in the open weedy park between me and the water.

What drives my Brittany Spaniel nutz with really aggressive challenge barks from inside the house, is a long high yipyipyipyip bark for mebbe 1-2 minutes longand followed by a short howl from a single 'yote that sounds like it is very close to my front yard...and answered by other 'yotes howls from as far away as across the half mile open water of the LM Arm to the adjacent COE land on the far side of the creek bottom in front of the house.

When I hit the porch lights all the nearby critters go silent most of the time...but I am not finding any tracks and my 2 outdoor cats are not as spooky when I feed them between 5 & 6am as they are around the racoons that raid their food bowls just after dark.

Any insight on what this yipyipyip bark is all about??
Cheers
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Coyote Questions [Re: WileyCoyote] #4087740 02/27/13 10:39 PM
M
MikeBillington Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
it's mating season right now and the males are competing against each other for females. We are hearing them too just like you described. I am not sure if it is the boys trying to woo the girl or the boys trying to deter each other. Either way it is mating related.

Evelyn and Michael Billington
BILLINGTON RANCH TAXIDERMY
Georgetown, TX
254-793-2120
www.billingtonranchtaxidermy.com
www.facebook.com/billingtonranchtaxidermy (LIKE us on FB)
Re: Coyote Questions [Re: MikeBillington] #4087844 02/27/13 11:27 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
What Mike said.
Males are territorial and you have last years "male pups" running around trying to get into the action.

BTW, coyotes can hear higher frequencies than dogs, 80 mzh I think and dogs are less. So some sounds a dog could possibly just "miss"

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Coyote Questions [Re: Western] #4087911 02/28/13 12:06 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
That makes good sense, as it was a half grown pup that had taken to sleeping in the weedy park where I run the Brittany every morning where she has learned to terrorize all the fox squirrels for a half mile. I know one of the neighbors had reported seeing a family of 'yotes denning across the creek on COE land from me last summer/fall and getting a kick out seeing the small pups play.
Thanks
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Coyote Questions [Re: WileyCoyote] #4089362 02/28/13 03:54 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Where do you live? I live at Simmons Shores, and I have yotes come thru my yard every night. I thin them out occasionally.

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Coyote Questions [Re: d.g.ruff] #4091149 03/01/13 03:28 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I am just north of you, real close to the Elks Club. I know my old friend Ray Zipper at the old gun range on Ranger Road had H$#! keeping his exotic sheep alive and finally was down to just one old ram when his collie, Pistol, died of old age. Started keeping donkeys, then Ray got sick himself, and I didn't notice any critters of any kind in his pasture last time I was by the house.
I am too close to the Elks and other house's to do any thinning.
Ron

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide