Print Thread
New Shooting Range in Cooke County #4079665 02/24/13 09:50 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Anybody been to the new Range on Hwy 51 between Gainesville & Decatur...I think it's called Fossil Sport something. A neighbor had been down there recently and was impressed, and sez lot's more stuff s'posed to be in the works than just the 200 yard Rifle setup.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: New Shooting Range in Cooke County [Re: WileyCoyote] #4079677 02/24/13 09:56 PM
RKHarm24 Offline
sergeant
sergeant
http://www.fossilpointe.net/

WHere you been..... sleep2 yawn lizard

grin

Re: New Shooting Range in Cooke County [Re: RKHarm24] #4079694 02/24/13 10:08 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
The range is in Wise County, not Cooke County. The range has actually been there for several years now.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: New Shooting Range in Cooke County [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4084538 02/26/13 06:16 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Onlyiest time I go down Hwy51 is when I'm headed to Decatur or points south and west. Since I got involved with trying to set up an Insurance bidnizz last year, after huntin' a program that I could get into without having to buy a franchise like State Farm & Allstate Agency's are, plus passing my P&C's, and trying to sell this lake house on Texoma ....I have not been too focused on pullin a trigger on anything except lawyers and contract stuff in the last 2 years. Dropped the Farmers Agency contract before Christmas & still got the house FSBO'd since the last 2 breathless hot prospect buyers also failed to live up to their "I'ma gonna do this and that for ya" and almost bought another education on my nickel.

Got 'nuther Insurance package working that might be mo bettah for what I want to do, and where I want to wind up for my Last Stand ...with no strings attached or contractual anchors required.

SOOO like the wise old blind man allus sez ..."We'll just have to see What's What when the smoke clears.
Cheers
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: New Shooting Range in Cooke County [Re: WileyCoyote] #4086450 02/27/13 01:25 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
And you selling insurance has what to do with the range? Sorry, you lost me.

Re: New Shooting Range in Cooke County [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4087406 02/27/13 08:13 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
D N S, Since you are interested...Not a dang thing.

Good to know the range is Wise County though. That tells me everything I wanted to know about some ones personal first hand impressions of their experiences at this place. I am sure I can find all of the features they offer, prices, target distances and days & hours they are open on their website a previous poster had given.

However being that the range is not in Cooke County it sounds like a good opportunity to decline the idea of another roadtrip just for a looksee, I don't need the time behind the wheel just for practice at my age.

Life Goes On.. whether you are having Fun...or NOT.
Cheers
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 02/28/13 12:42 AM.

Re: New Shooting Range in Cooke County [Re: WileyCoyote] #4088918 02/28/13 01:16 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Okay, it was big, spread out, their entrance used to be on the Slidell side of the property, lots of shotgunning stations, and the two times I drove through the property, I didn't see a single person there. This was back after they first put up signs in Slidell.

I never saw the rifle range and don't know if it was there at the time and not labeled (no signs) or if they had not put one in yet. They have lots of room.

I saw no signs for fees or hours of operation.

I have never heard of anyone shooting there and since I went twice early on and could not find anyone, I never went back.

These are out of date observations, but are first hand, but maybe not valid anymore. They certainly had the makings of a nice facility and I think it showed promise.

Re: New Shooting Range in Cooke County [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4089481 02/28/13 04:35 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
What caught my attention 1st from my neighbor's recollection of his trip down there last week, was that they had a Sporting Clays course that could be shot individually from a delayed timer, and a single station could be shot over and over until you were satisfied with your final result....??? at $4 a Bird??? Said he shot the same station 10 times until he corrected his sight picture successfully.

He also said something I didn't fully catch or understand about a 200 yard rifle range over a pond...not sure I like that with the possibilty of skips from short hits and a gong in mid pond???

I like the idea of Top Gun's 500 yard range in Leonard, but miss shooting a shotgun anymore these days.

When I started traveling more than part time again after we moved back to Dallas in '75, I gave up my occasional rounds of target shotgun shooting at the old Winchester Public Range on Luna after getting started again at the Range overlooking Lake Michigan south of Waukegan in one of the far northern 'burb's of Chicago in '74,

In '76 after I got into the Sporting Goods Bidnizz in Carrollton, Sporting Clays were just being talked about by Kenny Sedlecki & Tommy Oliver after they took over as the SW Reps for S&W as a developing sport from England, with the only course I know of these days at the very private Dallas Gun Club south and west of the I-35E & Hwy 121 junction and have never shot a course.

SC, aka "Golf with a Shotgun", always sounded like more fun than Skeet or Trap, but DGC was too spendy for my plebian pocket book even when they were across the street on Luna from the Winchester Public Range entrance back in the late '60's & early '70's, 2 locations ago....kinda like the infamous private shoots at "the Farm" near Poetry in NWest Kaufman County were before the SHTF with all kinds of problems, and "Fort" Hodge was still across the street from DGC's current location, where the old Montgomery Ward Tire Shop was.

Maybe I can find an affordable SC course south of Waco & north of Austin if I ever get to move to Bell County as planned.
Cheers
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 02/28/13 04:52 PM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide