Print Thread
calling patterns #4069619 02/20/13 08:47 PM
B
BillydGoat Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
When calling, is there a particular calling pattern, ie. yelp, wait x minutes, yelp wait x minutes... What works for you?

Re: calling patterns [Re: BillydGoat] #4069685 02/20/13 09:18 PM
S
SweetTea Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Best to watch some YouTube videos and hunting videos on this. Definitely don't wanna overcall. He'll think you want him more than he wants you. This will cause him to strut and fool around waiting for you to come to him. Give him enough to fire him up and go silent be patient and don't call again for another 30 minutes. There really is soooo much more to it than this and watching different videos will help you out with this.

OMG, this is the best slumber party ever!
Re: calling patterns [Re: SweetTea] #4070211 02/21/13 12:23 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Depends on the gobbler and their mood, some are hot and can call to a lot while others very little calling is more effective. There is no set pattern that works all the time that I have found in 30+ years of calling them in. The more talkative the bird the more I will call but then I like playing with them.

Biggest eastern bird I ever got flew off the roost and landed 7 yards at the most from me after 3 soft tree yelps

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: calling patterns [Re: kmon11] #4070664 02/21/13 02:43 AM
L
LittleD Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
I agree with kmon1 let the gobbler tell you what he wants to hear.start him off slow and then work up if he responds well.

Danny
Re: calling patterns [Re: LittleD] #4070833 02/21/13 03:28 AM
S
Simp Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Definitely no set pattern to calling. I'll echo a hen though. They don't like that.

United States Marines: No greater friend, no worse enemy.
Re: calling patterns [Re: Simp] #4070911 02/21/13 03:53 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: Simp
Definitely no set pattern to calling. I'll echo a hen though. They don't like that.

Yea sometimes when the gobblers are henned up you can echo or challenge the boss hen in a flock and get her to come in. When that happens the gobbler will be right behind her or usually is.
have had one hen come in and beat the crap out of a hen decoy

Re: calling patterns [Re: kmon11] #4074845 02/22/13 04:31 PM
M
mikefinchmp Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
How far away can they hear the call?

Re: calling patterns [Re: mikefinchmp] #4075109 02/22/13 05:57 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
They can hear your call a lot further than you think. Have called in gobblers that started well over half mile away, some from over 3/4 mile. It is also amazing how close they can pinpoint the location of the calling.

Re: calling patterns [Re: kmon11] #4075114 02/22/13 06:00 PM
S
SweetTea Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Yep its like they have GPS. They'll mark your coordinates and if they are hemmed up sometimes later in the morning they'll come visit the exact area you were at.

OMG, this is the best slumber party ever!
Re: calling patterns [Re: BillydGoat] #4075164 02/22/13 06:18 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I call about every 5 min, once I get a gobble I call one more time to let him know I heard him. After that I wait for him to gobble again or sometimes wait for him to gobble twice then I call again.

I kinda look at it as if you and someone else were sepparated in the woods trying to locate eachother....
Tom, "Where are you?" ...Me, "Over here." ..........tom, "where?"....... Me, "Over here"......
Tom, "where?....where?"............ Me, "BOOM!!! YEEEE HAAAA!!!"

Yes they can hear a LONG ways, if you can hear him, he can hear you. A lot of people say turkey's are smart, MOST of the time they (gobblers) are dumb as a rock... with their mind only on sex. Hens are smarter but there's more of them to spot you.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: calling patterns [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #4075232 02/22/13 06:49 PM
B
buck_eye1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
If I know where the birds are roosting and they are henned up I will start somewhere close to the roost say 100 yds or so and let them fly down, wait about 10 minutes after they have flown down and start with some soft yelps and purrs if the are not henned up I will do some soft tree yelps to try and get the bird to fly down in my direction but if you do this when they are henned up alot of times the hen will fly down the opposite direction and the toms will follow. If you start calling and the bird cuts you off with a gobble in the middle of your sequence stop calling because the bird is on his way to come find you. It is nice to hear that bird gobble but if you call him too much then he thinks your coming to him. some soft purrs when he gets 40 or 30 yards from you will usually drive em crazy. If you don`t know where the birds are in the morning try and locate with owl hoot right before daylight breaks on until first light and then crow call in the later part of the morning I usually don`t try and locate by yelping unless nothing else is working because sometimes they are right there and will be on top of ya before you get set up. If you get a bird that is hung up (won`t come in) start doing some aggressive cutting and cackles or maybe some fighting purrs to imitate hens fighting you could even try some aggressive yelps to sound like an old boss hen this works real well when they are henned up too. You can even start walking away from the bird while yelping then set down again after about 50 or so yards sometimes that will trigger the bird to think your leaving the area and he will come and try and stop ya. I know everybody is different in their tactics this is just some of the ways I have been successful in the past.

Last edited by buck_eye1; 02/22/13 06:55 PM.
Re: calling patterns [Re: buck_eye1] #4078201 02/24/13 02:38 AM
M
mnsherick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: buck_eye1
If I know where the birds are roosting and they are henned up I will start somewhere close to the roost say 100 yds or so and let them fly down, wait about 10 minutes after they have flown down and start with some soft yelps and purrs if the are not henned up I will do some soft tree yelps to try and get the bird to fly down in my direction but if you do this when they are henned up alot of times the hen will fly down the opposite direction and the toms will follow. If you start calling and the bird cuts you off with a gobble in the middle of your sequence stop calling because the bird is on his way to come find you. It is nice to hear that bird gobble but if you call him too much then he thinks your coming to him. some soft purrs when he gets 40 or 30 yards from you will usually drive em crazy. If you don`t know where the birds are in the morning try and locate with owl hoot right before daylight breaks on until first light and then crow call in the later part of the morning I usually don`t try and locate by yelping unless nothing else is working because sometimes they are right there and will be on top of ya before you get set up. If you get a bird that is hung up (won`t come in) start doing some aggressive cutting and cackles or maybe some fighting purrs to imitate hens fighting you could even try some aggressive yelps to sound like an old boss hen this works real well when they are henned up too. You can even start walking away from the bird while yelping then set down again after about 50 or so yards sometimes that will trigger the bird to think your leaving the area and he will come and try and stop ya. I know everybody is different in their tactics this is just some of the ways I have been successful in the past.

A lot of good pointers here.

-Matt

Re: calling patterns [Re: mnsherick] #4081632 02/25/13 04:59 PM
M
mikefinchmp Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Is there one call out there that is better then the other? meaning either electronic or other?

Re: calling patterns [Re: mikefinchmp] #4082268 02/25/13 08:47 PM
B
buck_eye1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: mikefinchmp
Is there one call out there that is better then the other? meaning either electronic or other?

Don`t think that one is better than the other you just have to find the one that is easiest for you to use and sounds the most realistic. Trial and error is really all I can say but I will point out that box calls and friction calls(slate) are probably the easiest to master. Mouth calls are the hardest but are the most versatile call you can use because there is not a bunch of movement involved. hope this helps. I never used electronic call so I can`t help ya there.

Last edited by buck_eye1; 02/25/13 08:48 PM.
Re: calling patterns [Re: buck_eye1] #4084584 02/26/13 06:28 PM
M
mikefinchmp Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
That helps a lot. good thing for youtube..

Re: calling patterns [Re: mikefinchmp] #4086390 02/27/13 12:30 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Most users of the electronic calls I can pick out quickly, same pattern over and over. There are lots of hunters successful with them every year but I haven't used them. I usually use slate and diaphragm calls but let the birds tell me if I need to pull out the box or other calls.

There are times when just a few soft yelps are needed, then others where sounding like a flock of noisy hens and gobbler clucks have worked very well. Each situation seems to be different.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide